Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/18/2012 5:33:37 PM EDT
I have never heard the use of the word "Monday" as a racial slur before. To sum up this story, an off duty cop is at a minor league baseball game and heckles a black player by calling him a "Monday."  People around the cop complained and now he might get fired.  

WTF?  Monday is a racial slur?  Has anyone else heard this before?

and

WTF?  Freedom of speech for an off duty cop does not exist?

Race relations in this country are just fucked.

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/sports/2012/07/18/probe-ends-mass-cops-alleged-slur-crawford/1224919

LEOMINSTER, Mass. — A Massachusetts police officer was put on paid leave Wednesday after an internal investigation found that he directed a racial slur at Boston Red Sox outfielder Carl Crawford.

[div]    [div]Charles Krupa/The Associated Press
   [div]Boston Red Sox's Carl Crawford watches the flight of a fly out to center at Fenway Park in Boston, Monday, July 16, 2012. Investigators recently finished the probe into weather an off-duty officer directed a racial slur at Crawford during a game with the Portland Sea Dogs.

Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:35:03 PM EDT
[#1]
So is 'Thursday' a slur against gays?

Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:36:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Everybody hates Mondays.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:36:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Nobody likes Mondays.

Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:36:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Nobody likes Mondays.

Haha!  Beat you by 1 second!
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:37:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Or how about if the cop called the player a Saturday, would that have been a compliment since most people have a good feelings about that day?

Quoted:

So is 'Thursday' a slur against gays?  

Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:38:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Everybody hates Mondays.

Garfield, "I hate Mondays."
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:38:41 PM EDT
[#7]
"Monday?"

Is that some sort of backwards twisted imaginary reference to Robinson Crusoe's Man Friday?

Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:39:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank God he didn't call him an April 15TH.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:39:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I've heard it expressed: "Everybody hates Mondays"
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:39:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Just another manic monday.  Wish it were a sunday.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:40:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Shoulda called him Summer Vacation
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:40:11 PM EDT
[#12]
This may be the dumbest thing I have heard today.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:40:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:40:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Its foolish libtards! WTF! The player "felt" dissed, awwwww, poor bb.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:40:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Everybody hates Mondays.

That would certainly make me see my childhood in a new light if that's what Garfield meant.

Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:41:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

"Monday?"

Is that some sort of backwards twisted imaginary reference to Robinson Crusoe's Man Friday?

Cross-platform gun database/electronic bound book (v1.3.2) (and the original thread).

Paultards: maximizing libertarian losses since 2008.

«nolite confidere in principibus, in filiis hominum quibus non est salus»

I want to live in a world where people drop Robinson Crusoe references outside of ARF.

Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:41:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Stop the fucking world RIGHT FUCKING NOW!

I want to get off.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:42:34 PM EDT
[#18]
can't call them Monday and Rebecca Black ruined Friday.  What's next?
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:42:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Are we sure he didn't say "midnight" and crawford misheard him and still complained?
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:43:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Monday - A black person. Popularized by Russell Peters stand up at Def Jam
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:44:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Urbandictionary seems to back up the claim that Monday is used as a racial slur (dozens of times over), though I have never heard it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:44:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Everybody hates Mondays.

Tell me why.

Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:45:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Everybody hates Mondays.

Garfield is racist???????????????

STOP.....................................................................THE......................................................................................PRESSESS.....................................................................
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:46:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Guess the Officer should have just cut to the chase and told him he sucks. [Of course that could be construed as he's a pole smoker]

If you can't deal with heckling in baseball, just GTFO of the game like the thin skinned loser you really are.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:47:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Karen Carpenter was a RACIST

Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:47:07 PM EDT
[#26]

Thanks... I had never heard Monday was a racial slur.  Now I know that these old hippies were racists.  Who would  have guessed?

Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:47:55 PM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:49:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Goes way back.

Monday is the day people have to go back to work.

Monday's was the day most black people called in sick is the racial slur.

You gotta be old to know that one.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:50:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Would calling him "personal day" or "sick day" have been better? I would be a Friday.

Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:50:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Holeee shitballs!!!!

If the Officer had banged on Carl Crawford's hotel door at 1:30AM without announcing himself as a police officer and subsequently shot Mr Crawford because he answered the door holding a bat, he'd be ok.

Heckling Mr. Crawford by calling him a Monday at a minor league game = fired with extreme prejudice
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:51:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have never heard the use of the word "Monday" as a racial slur before. To sum up this story, an off duty cop is at a minor league baseball game and heckles a black player by calling him a "Monday."  People around the cop complained and now he might get fired.  

WTF?  Monday is a racial slur?  Has anyone else heard this before?

and

WTF?  Freedom of speech for an off duty cop does not exist?

Race relations in this country are just fucked.

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/sports/2012/07/18/probe-ends-mass-cops-alleged-slur-crawford/1224919

LEOMINSTER, Mass. — A Massachusetts police officer was put on paid leave Wednesday after an internal investigation found that he directed a racial slur at Boston Red Sox outfielder Carl Crawford.

<a href="http://www.sunjournal.com/files/imagecache/story_large/2012/07/18/9cc6b51804579114150f6a706700e118.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.sunjournal.com/files/imagecache/grid-3/2012/07/18/9cc6b51804579114150f6a706700e118.jpg</a>  

Charles Krupa/The Associated Press

Boston Red Sox's Carl Crawford watches the flight of a fly out to center at Fenway Park in Boston, Monday, July 16, 2012. Investigators recently finished the probe into weather an off-duty officer directed a racial slur at Crawford during a game with the Portland Sea Dogs.

Officer John Perrault was suspended pending a disciplinary hearing scheduled for next week at which he could face more severe punishment, and could even be fired, Leominster Mayor Dean Mazzarella and Police Chief Robert Healey said.

Perreault engaged in conduct unbecoming an officer, according to the chief and mayor.

The officer, who is white, was placed on desk duty after the July 5 incident. He was described as a veteran officer with no prior disciplinary problems.

He was off duty and attending a minor league game in Manchester, N.H.

Witnesses said a heckling fan called Crawford, who is black, a "monday" before a game between the New Hampshire Fisher Cats and Portland Sea Dogs. Crawford said he interpreted the word as a racial slur.

The word can be used as a derogatory term for blacks, and is often associated with Mondays being one of the least-liked days of the week.

Crawford was playing for the Double-A Sea Dogs while rehabilitating a wrist injury.

Crawford alerted stadium officials to the remark, and team management apologized.

Leominster police reached out to Crawford as part of their investigation but did not talk to him, Mazzarella said.

The mayor and chief also issued an apology to Crawford.

Crawford returned to action for the Red Sox on Monday night, in a 5-1 win over the Chicago White Sox.

Dang, those Onion articles get better every day!

Whew- almost had me there for a minute!
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:51:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Of course he has a right to free speech, he isn't gonna go to jail for this.....but if his employer decides it is justified he just might lose his job.

How is he supposed to do his job if he is on the record as having been a racist? Don't you think this will come up EVERY time he arrests a minority for the rest of his career (and justifiably so)

Guess he should have been respectful and acted like a professional. Oops...im sure they are hiring at the mall. Good riddance.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:51:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Everybody hates Mondays.

Tell me why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yteMugRAc0

Why do I get the feeling that the singer is obviously a heroin addict and this is his ode to wanting to stay at home at and "shoot down" the day?

Daniel
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:51:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Kenny Monday, heck of a nice guy and superb wrestler

Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:53:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Of course he has a right to free speech, he isn't gonna go to jail for this.....but if his employer decides it is justified he just might lose his job.

How is he supposed to do his job if he is on the record as having been a racist? Don't you think this will come up EVERY time he arrests a minority for the rest of his career (and justifiably so)

Guess he should have been respectful and acted like a professional. Oops...im sure they are hiring at the mall. Good riddance.

Possibly but, on the other hand, you could say we are becoming a nation of overly sensitive sissies.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:54:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
"Monday?"

I want to live in a world where people drop Robinson Crusoe references outside of ARF.

I'm quite impressed that a reference to Daniel Defoe's works was even entered into the discussion.

I'm even more impressed that I caught the reference .
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:55:40 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Why do I get the feeling that the singer is obviously a heroin addict and this is his ode to wanting to stay at home at and "shoot down" the day?
Daniel
From Wiki:

Brenda Ann Spencer (born April 3, 1962) is a convicted American murderer who carried out a shooting spree from her home in San Diego, California,
on January 29, 1979. During the shooting spree, she killed two people
and injured nine others at Cleveland Elementary School, which was
located across the street from her home. Spencer showed no remorse for
her crime, and her full explanation for her actions was "I don't like
Mondays; this livens up the day."

The explanation inspired the song "I Don't Like Mondays" by The Boomtown Rats, which was a UK number one single for four weeks in mid-1979.

Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:57:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Investigators recently finished the probe into weather an off-duty officer directed a racial slur at Crawford during a game with the Portland Sea Dogs.

weather ≠ whether
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:59:19 PM EDT
[#39]
I am guessing a "monday" is supposed to mean the other word but that has a "k" instead of "d"

Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:59:57 PM EDT
[#40]
So, you can't tell a black that he sucks if you think he does without it being racist? WTF!!!!!??!!!
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 6:01:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Everybody hates Mondays.

Tell me why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yteMugRAc0

Daniel

Friggin' younguns.....

Link Posted: 7/18/2012 6:03:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Possibly but, on the other hand, you could say we are becoming a nation of overly sensitive sissies.

that is certainly true, but OJ Simpson walked because a LEO couldn't keep his opinions about race to himself...it is a very real issue...he just made himself a liability to his department

stupid hurts

Link Posted: 7/18/2012 6:03:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Investigators recently finished the probe into weather an off-duty officer directed a racial slur at Crawford during a game with the Portland Sea Dogs.

weather ≠ whether

At least he didn't call him a wether.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 6:06:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Karen Carpenter was a RACIST

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPmbT5XC-q0

Yup rainy days is code for mexican.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 6:08:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Thinned skinned mother fuckers will be the death of us all

Link Posted: 7/18/2012 6:09:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

that is certainly true, but OJ Simpson walked because a LEO couldn't keep his opinions about race to himself...it is a very real issue...he just made himself a liability to his department

stupid hurts

He walked because the jury was made up of retards.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 6:10:17 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Everybody hates Mondays.

But Everybody Fucking loves Crackers!!!

Link Posted: 7/18/2012 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#48]
I don't have a problem with him being disciplined.  If he shows racism off duty, who's to say he won't show racism on duty?  Higher standard and all that.

Link Posted: 7/18/2012 6:13:49 PM EDT
[#49]
It's used as a code word for something else. The way some people sometimes use the word "Amish". If you understand the alternate reference you know they actually meant something else. Like if someone uses the word "sugar" instead of saying "shit". When that person tells you to "eat sugar" you know they aren't happy. Still pretty hard to say they did anything wrong, that's the whole point.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 6:14:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Monday is racist?  lol

Wat?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top