Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2012 3:52:10 AM EDT
Don't be messing with my benefits, yo.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2012/06/store_clerk_fired_for_refusing.html

Eventually the man left without his cigarettes, but his foster mother returned the next day to complain. Later that day, another man attempted to do the same thing.
"He was very capable of working, so I told him to get a J-O-B," Whiton told the Boston Herald.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 3:53:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 3:56:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
After receiving complaints, the store's manager called the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services to find out what welfare recipients could and could not buy with the card. According to the Sentinel Source, there are two kinds of EBT cards: one used strictly for food and one that can be used as a debit card for any items, including cigarettes and alcohol.

––––

What in the actual hell?

FUBAR
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 3:58:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
After receiving complaints, the store's manager called the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services to find out what welfare recipients could and could not buy with the card. According to the Sentinel Source, there are two kinds of EBT cards: one used strictly for food and one that can be used as a debit card for any items, including cigarettes and alcohol.

––––

What in the actual hell?

FUBAR

The whole country has gone to fuckytown.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 4:06:24 AM EDT
[#4]
It would be funny if it wasn't  sad.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 4:11:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It would be funny if it wasn't  sad.

Link Posted: 7/18/2012 4:25:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't see a difference between foodstamps being used for food and foodstamps being used for lotto tickets, beer, and Marlboros.  They're both equally offensive to me.

Link Posted: 7/18/2012 4:40:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I like how the 20 year old man got his foster mommy to come down and complain to  the store manager because the mean clerk would not sell him his smokes.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 4:43:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't see a difference between foodstamps being used for food and foodstamps being used for lotto tickets, beer, and Marlboros.  They're both equally offensive to me.

Agreed!
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:19:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I wonder if i could get an EBT card to buy cigars with.  Would be very convenient.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:40:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed!

Respectfully, that's a bit silly.  We can all agree that taxpayer money for actual food is a bad idea, but the the idea that someone could use taxpayer dollars for cigarettes and alcohol is a whole different level of fucked up.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:41:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Saw a guy buy a blender at Walmart yesterday with one of those cards.........a blender.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:44:38 AM EDT
[#12]
I think you should be allowed to spend your EBT on whatever you want- but you have to show reciepts at the end of the month for what you purchased. Say if you get $800/mo benefit, and you spent $400 on liquor, cigs, tattoos, and candy bars, well, next month you only get $400. If then you spend $100 on "non essential items" you get $300 the next month, and so on and so forth.

Well, I mean honestly, people should have to EARN every penny they get instead of it being handed to them, but since it IS being handed out we may as well make it efficient.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:49:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Fucking Democrats.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:50:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Things like cigarette addiction and food addiction are now officially diseases, so these people are actually buying their medicine, right?
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 6:00:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed!

Respectfully, that's a bit silly.  We can all agree that taxpayer money for actual food is a bad idea, but the the idea that someone could use taxpayer dollars for cigarettes and alcohol is a whole different level of fucked up.

If they need the government to buy them food, they need to schlep down to city hall and pick up their weekly rations.  You get a quart of milk, a dozen eggs, a box of cereal, a ham, some ground beef, a bag of apples, 4 pounds of seasonal produce, and two pounds of rice per person per week.  Once a month you get a small box with salt and some spices in it, plus 10 pounds of flour, 3 pounds of sugar, a quart of cooking oil, leavening/yeast, and other pantry essentials.

When you sign up for the program, you get a recipe book.

People who genuinely need food will take food.

People who are just fucking lazy and don't want to work will ignore the program, because they can't get prepackaged shit with it.

Result: Taxpayers save a fuckload of money and the EBT crowd learns to participate in society.  And still, nobody goes hungry.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 8:49:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Again?

Link Posted: 7/18/2012 8:57:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

––––

What in the actual hell?

It blew my mind too, when I  first read about it.

Apparently the Welfare EBT card can be used for smokes and booze.

Link Posted: 7/18/2012 8:58:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Then may God bless you and you never have to take help to get by, even for a short  while.

Link Posted: 7/18/2012 8:59:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed!

If they need the government to buy them food, they need to schlep down to city hall and pick up their weekly rations.  You get a quart of milk, a dozen eggs, a box of cereal, a ham, some ground beef, a bag of apples, 4 pounds of seasonal produce, and two pounds of rice per person per week.  Once a month you get a small box with salt and some spices in it, plus 10 pounds of flour, 3 pounds of sugar, a quart of cooking oil, leavening/yeast, and other pantry essentials.

When you sign up for the program, you get a recipe book.

People who genuinely need food will take food.

People who are just fucking lazy and don't want to work will ignore the program, because they can't get prepackaged shit with it.

Result: Taxpayers save a fuckload of money and the EBT crowd learns to participate in society.  And still, nobody goes hungry.

Logical solution.

Link Posted: 7/18/2012 9:06:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Trojanman, that is the exact system they have in Cuba. Only difference is that it applies to everyone and the rations are much lower.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 9:11:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then may God bless you and you never have to take help to get by, even for a short  while.

I've lived my whole life without sucking the government's tit and living off your paycheck and I'll be damned if I'm going to start now.  I'd sell everything I own and whore myself to gay guys before I'd go on the county.

It is despicable.

Link Posted: 7/18/2012 9:12:28 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

––––

What in the actual hell?

The cash benefit that some get is put straight on the card.  

Link Posted: 7/18/2012 9:25:13 AM EDT
[#24]
dupe/http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1336634_Clerk_fired_at_local_Gas_Station_for_refusing_EBT_card_to_pay_for_cigarettes____.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top