Site Notices
9/18/2014 11:03:27 AM
Author
Hoya Saxa
Posted: 7/18/2012 7:52:10 AM
[Last Edit: 7/18/2012 7:52:53 AM by gopeterson]
Don't be messing with my benefits, yo.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2012/06/store_clerk_fired_for_refusing.html

Eventually the man left without his cigarettes, but his foster mother returned the next day to complain. Later that day, another man attempted to do the same thing.
"He was very capable of working, so I told him to get a J-O-B," Whiton told the Boston Herald.
I like to throw real blood on people wearing fake furs. That's just how I roll.
Slavac
B4K4 and Space Nut
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2012 7:53:51 AM
After receiving complaints, the store's manager called the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services to find out what welfare recipients could and could not buy with the card. According to the Sentinel Source, there are two kinds of EBT cards: one used strictly for food and one that can be used as a debit card for any items, including cigarettes and alcohol.

––––

What in the actual hell?

Humanity has two options: colonize space or wither away into the ether.
piccolo
Grand Poobah
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2012 7:56:16 AM
Originally Posted By Slavac:
After receiving complaints, the store's manager called the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services to find out what welfare recipients could and could not buy with the card. According to the Sentinel Source, there are two kinds of EBT cards: one used strictly for food and one that can be used as a debit card for any items, including cigarettes and alcohol.

––––

What in the actual hell?

FUBAR
http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html
----------------------------------------

Vote "YES" on 'NO'!

For Captain Erick Foster, Wexford, PA KIA 29 Aug, 07.
Rangers lead the way.
TLD05
I Am Become Death
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2012 7:58:16 AM
Originally Posted By piccolo:

––––

What in the actual hell?

FUBAR

The whole country has gone to fuckytown.
The Destroyer of Worlds.
KaiK
Gun Enthusiast
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2012 8:06:24 AM
It would be funny if it wasn't sad.
RDS_FSU
Forgiveness solves a lot of problems
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2012 8:11:52 AM
Originally Posted By KaiK:
It would be funny if it wasn't sad.

RDS_FSU

Red Dragons_Fuck Shit Up
I'm still standing, I might be bleeding, But I'm still breathing...
STAYING FROSTIER EVERYDAY!!
Justa_TXguy
half-seller of ducks
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2012 8:25:17 AM
I don't see a difference between foodstamps being used for food and foodstamps being used for lotto tickets, beer, and Marlboros. They're both equally offensive to me.

"Might go for a little zombie pie but im still gonna have to say no to fat chicks." -- Originally Posted By Krink
vm1970
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2012 8:40:35 AM
I like how the 20 year old man got his foster mommy to come down and complain to the store manager because the mean clerk would not sell him his smokes.
"You can get further with a kind word and a gun, than you can with just a kind word."
"We are playing chess here motherfucker not checkers."
GrumpyBubba
Vincere Aut Mori
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2012 8:43:12 AM
Originally Posted By Justa_TXguy:
I don't see a difference between foodstamps being used for food and foodstamps being used for lotto tickets, beer, and Marlboros. They're both equally offensive to me.

Agreed!
LowBeta
boson's mate
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2012 9:19:32 AM
I wonder if i could get an EBT card to buy cigars with. Would be very convenient.
God sometimes subcontracts -- A funny guy
gopeterson
Hoya Saxa
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2012 9:40:05 AM
Originally Posted By GrumpyBubba:

Agreed!

Respectfully, that's a bit silly. We can all agree that taxpayer money for actual food is a bad idea, but the the idea that someone could use taxpayer dollars for cigarettes and alcohol is a whole different level of fucked up.
I like to throw real blood on people wearing fake furs. That's just how I roll.
dhmjr40
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2012 9:41:47 AM
Saw a guy buy a blender at Walmart yesterday with one of those cards.........a blender.
TheRX7Project
Pepto Bismol
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2012 9:44:38 AM
I think you should be allowed to spend your EBT on whatever you want- but you have to show reciepts at the end of the month for what you purchased. Say if you get $800/mo benefit, and you spent $400 on liquor, cigs, tattoos, and candy bars, well, next month you only get $400. If then you spend $100 on "non essential items" you get $300 the next month, and so on and so forth.

Well, I mean honestly, people should have to EARN every penny they get instead of it being handed to them, but since it IS being handed out we may as well make it efficient.
If it does not pick my pocket nor break my leg, it is of no concern to me. -Thomas Jefferson
BUCC_Guy
One shot, one miss.
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2012 9:49:32 AM
Fucking Democrats.
Student 1: "Mr. [BUCC_Guy], can you do a cart-wheel?"
Me: "I can do anything you want, and more."
Student 2: "Except attract girls."
Danner130
Fort Worth, TX
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2012 9:50:49 AM
Things like cigarette addiction and food addiction are now officially diseases, so these people are actually buying their medicine, right?
"This is an environment of welcoming, and... you should just get the hell out of here!"
- Michael Scott
NAM
DD214 Holder
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2012 9:52:14 AM
Isaiah 16:11 "Wherefore my bowels shall sound like an harp"
tbk1: "We don't allow generalized bashing, except against the French."
CoC #11: Some animals are more equal than others.
TrojanMan
Five foot, two, eyes of blue!
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2012 10:00:15 AM
[Last Edit: 7/18/2012 10:00:34 AM by TrojanMan]
Originally Posted By gopeterson:

Agreed!

Respectfully, that's a bit silly. We can all agree that taxpayer money for actual food is a bad idea, but the the idea that someone could use taxpayer dollars for cigarettes and alcohol is a whole different level of fucked up.

If they need the government to buy them food, they need to schlep down to city hall and pick up their weekly rations. You get a quart of milk, a dozen eggs, a box of cereal, a ham, some ground beef, a bag of apples, 4 pounds of seasonal produce, and two pounds of rice per person per week. Once a month you get a small box with salt and some spices in it, plus 10 pounds of flour, 3 pounds of sugar, a quart of cooking oil, leavening/yeast, and other pantry essentials.

When you sign up for the program, you get a recipe book.

People who genuinely need food will take food.

People who are just fucking lazy and don't want to work will ignore the program, because they can't get prepackaged shit with it.

Result: Taxpayers save a fuckload of money and the EBT crowd learns to participate in society. And still, nobody goes hungry.
JDC_VA_USMC
FB0
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2012 12:49:02 PM
Again?
Long Live the United States, and Success to the Marines!

"Our guys are taking electrical engineering and some courses I can't even pronounce." ~ Navy Football coach Ken Niumatalolo
DScottHewitt
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2012 12:57:45 PM

––––

What in the actual hell?

It blew my mind too, when I first read about it.

Apparently the Welfare EBT card can be used for smokes and booze.

DScottHewitt
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2012 12:58:30 PM

Then may God bless you and you never have to take help to get by, even for a short while.

DScottHewitt
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2012 12:59:47 PM
Originally Posted By TrojanMan:
Originally Posted By gopeterson:

Agreed!

If they need the government to buy them food, they need to schlep down to city hall and pick up their weekly rations. You get a quart of milk, a dozen eggs, a box of cereal, a ham, some ground beef, a bag of apples, 4 pounds of seasonal produce, and two pounds of rice per person per week. Once a month you get a small box with salt and some spices in it, plus 10 pounds of flour, 3 pounds of sugar, a quart of cooking oil, leavening/yeast, and other pantry essentials.

When you sign up for the program, you get a recipe book.

People who genuinely need food will take food.

People who are just fucking lazy and don't want to work will ignore the program, because they can't get prepackaged shit with it.

Result: Taxpayers save a fuckload of money and the EBT crowd learns to participate in society. And still, nobody goes hungry.

Logical solution.

cuban
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2012 1:06:58 PM
Trojanman, that is the exact system they have in Cuba. Only difference is that it applies to everyone and the rations are much lower.
Justa_TXguy
half-seller of ducks
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2012 1:11:57 PM
Originally Posted By DScottHewitt:

Then may God bless you and you never have to take help to get by, even for a short while.

I've lived my whole life without sucking the government's tit and living off your paycheck and I'll be damned if I'm going to start now. I'd sell everything I own and whore myself to gay guys before I'd go on the county.

It is despicable.

"Might go for a little zombie pie but im still gonna have to say no to fat chicks." -- Originally Posted By Krink
ceverett
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2012 1:12:28 PM

––––

What in the actual hell?

The cash benefit that some get is put straight on the card.
SYSTEM
Posted: 7/18/2012 1:25:13 PM
[Last Edit: 7/18/2012 1:25:13 PM by krpind]
dupe/http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1336634_Clerk_fired_at_local_Gas_Station_for_refusing_EBT_card_to_pay_for_cigarettes____.html