Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/10/2012 8:29:38 PM EDT
Well Viacom and Direct tv have both totally pissed me off.  They couldn't reach an agreement and now Viacom has pulled alot of channels.  Time to get rid of the tv all together now I think.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 8:45:35 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Well Viacom and Direct tv have both totally pissed me off.  They couldn't reach an agreement and now Viacom has pulled alot of channels.  Time to get rid of the tv all together now I think.

What channels got pulled?

Link Posted: 7/10/2012 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:

What channels got pulled?  

26 including Spike, BET, CMT, MTV, and Comedy Central.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 8:48:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Was 17 channels in total (regular ones and their HD mirrors).

Palladia
Centric
Tr3s
CMT
Logo
Nikelodeon
Nick Toons (losing this one really blows since my kids like many of the shows on it)
Teen Nick
NickJr
Nick@Nite
Spike
BET
VH1
VH1 Classic
TV Land
Comedy Central
MTV
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 8:50:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Palladia

Centric

Tr3s

CMT

Logo

Nikelodeon

Nick Toons (losing this one really blows since my kids like many of the shows on it)

Teen Nick

NickJr

Nick@Nite

Spike

BET

VH1

VH1 Classic

TV Land

Comedy Central

MTV

Cocksuckers!!!

Link Posted: 7/10/2012 8:52:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Palladia
Centric
Tr3s
CMT
Logo
Nikelodeon
Teen Nick
NickJr
Nick@Nite
Spike
BET
VH1
VH1 Classic
TV Land
Comedy Central
MTV

Sweet, one of the 7 fucking channels I watch
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 8:52:11 PM EDT
[#6]
From what I can tell, DirecTV licenses those channels from Viacom and Viacom wants to increase the licensing fee DirecTV pays for those channels. The two companies have not reached agreement on how much more DirecTV will pay (and thus DirecTV's customers will pay when the cost increase in passed on). So Viacom is pulling the channels from DirecTV in hopes sufficient consumer outrage over losing them will spur DirecTV to meet Viacoms demands.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 8:56:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Palladia
Centric
Tr3s
CMT
Logo
Nikelodeon
Teen Nick
NickJr
Nick@Nite
Spike
BET
VH1
VH1 Classic
TV Land
Comedy Central
MTV

Sweet, one of the 7 fucking channels I watch

Yeah, I'm pretty ticked. My house went without TV for a year (as an experiment) and not more than six months ago went back to cable. I chose DirecTV (over Dish of some of the local cable providers) specifically because the package they offered had the channels my family mostly watches, one of which is Nickelodeon which my kids love. Losing Nick for me is a deal killer. If DirecTV isn't going to compensate me somehow (which we all know they won't) I might as well switch to Dish or local cable.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 8:59:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 9:02:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Palladia
Centric
Tr3s
CMT
Logo
Nikelodeon
Teen Nick
NickJr
Nick@Nite
Spike

BET
VH1
VH1 Classic
TV Land
Comedy Central
MTV

Cocksuckers!!!  

THIS. i can deal without most of those but i have 3 kids. they wont survive without the nick series of ch's.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 9:12:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, I am all sad to miss the episodes of Repo Games tonight.

My kids will have to do without Nicktoons as well. Too bad its summer vacation and there is nothing else to do.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 9:25:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Fuck television.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 9:27:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yeah, I am all sad to miss the episodes of Repo Games tonight.

My kids will have to do without Nicktoons as well. Too bad its summer vacation and there is nothing else to do.

GTFO.

Here's an easy one, get a Wii. Heck any console.

Go to the park.

Go hiking.

Play some board type games.

Or call the local cable company and have them provide you with TV for your kids.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 9:45:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I wonder who owns these huge companies?  I sure hope they don't have the same parent corporation and that this mystery corporation isn't looking to force a rate hike that their consumers will blame on content providers and not the folks who put antennas on their roofs...

Link Posted: 7/10/2012 10:00:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Was watching one of the channels earlier and it just went to a "technical diffuculties" screen.

Not real happy both sides are playing the blame game.

Viacom wanted a 30% increase.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 10:24:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Is this a violation of the contract that I signed? Since they breached the contract I should be able to cancel without any penalties right?
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 10:28:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Is this a violation of the contract that I signed? Since they breached the contract I should be able to cancel without any penalties right?

Probably not. I'm sure in your contract in some very, very fine print is a highly legalese written clause stating something to the effect that DirecTV reserves the rights to alter at any time what programs and channels are part of your package blah blah blah.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 10:36:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably not. I'm sure in your contract in some very, very fine print is a highly legalese written clause stating something to the effect that DirecTV reserves the rights to alter at any time what programs and channels are part of your package blah blah blah.

Directv pisses me off pulling shit like this.  They contracted with millions of viewers to provide programming, and then when they suck too badly to negotiate a contract with Viacom, the viewers get screwed.  Neither Viacom nor Directv can afford to keep the channels black for long.  Losing ad revenue for that many viewers for that many channels will kill Viacom in short order, and losing some basic highly demanded channels will kill Directv in short order, so they'll no doubt be back soon, but I'm still irritated for now.

Link Posted: 7/10/2012 10:42:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Hell fuckin yeah! For once, it pays to be the savvy Time Warner customer!
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 10:51:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Directv pisses me off pulling shit like this.  They contracted with millions of viewers to provide programming, and then when they suck too badly to negotiate a contract with Viacom, the viewers get screwed.  

I can guarentee you every TV provider (Dish, DirecTV, Time Warner, etc.) will have a clause like this in your contract.

Quoted:Neither Viacom nor Directv can afford to keep the channels black for long.  Losing ad revenue for that many viewers for that many channels will kill Viacom in short order, and losing some basic highly demanded channels will kill Directv in short order, so they'll no doubt be back soon, but I'm still irritated for now.  

Yes and no. A) Many DirecTV customers will be annoyed, but won't do anything. So its a win for DirecTV and loss for Viacom. B) Some DirecTV customers will be annoyed and cancel, but they will more than likely go with a competitor who does offer the channels. So that is a win for Viacom and loss for DirecTV. C) And a few DirecTV customers will be annoyed and cancel TV altogether. That is a lose lose for DirecTV and Viacom, but my guess is this will be a very small percent of subscribers. Viacom is banking on either B happening, or the threat of B acting as a force to urge DirecTV management to accept terms favorable to Viacom.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 10:54:51 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Directv pisses me off pulling shit like this.  They contracted with millions of viewers to provide programming, and then when they suck too badly to negotiate a contract with Viacom, the viewers get screwed.  

I can guarentee you every TV provider (Dish, DirecTV, Time Warner, etc.) will have a clause like this in your contract.

Quoted:Neither Viacom nor Directv can afford to keep the channels black for long.  Losing ad revenue for that many viewers for that many channels will kill Viacom in short order, and losing some basic highly demanded channels will kill Directv in short order, so they'll no doubt be back soon, but I'm still irritated for now.  

Yes and no. A) Many DirecTV customers will be annoyed, but won't do anything. So its a win for DirecTV and loss for Viacom. B) Some DirecTV customers will be annoyed and cancel, but they will more than likely go with a competitor who does offer the channels. So that is a win for Viacom and loss for DirecTV. C) And a few DirecTV customers will be annoyed and cancel TV altogether. That is a lose lose for DirecTV and Viacom, but my guess is this will be a very small percent of subscribers. Viacom is banking on either B happening, or the threat of B acting as a force to urge DirecTV management to accept terms favorable to Viacom.

The point is, though, that both companies are losing out big time.  Even if it does not immediately lose subscribers, Directv is suffering big time in reputation.  And Viacom is losing millions of dollars per hour in ad revenue.  Both sides are highly motivated to make a deal and I guarantee there will be concessions on both sides to get the deal done.

Link Posted: 7/10/2012 10:54:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not annoyed. I'm all for Directv keeping my cost as low as possible. Fuck viacom. I can live without their crap. Matter of fact I think Directv should charge viacom to put their shit on Directv and lower my bill even more.

Link Posted: 7/10/2012 10:57:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The point is, though, that both companies are losing out big time.  Even if it does not immediately lose subscribers, Directv is suffering big time in reputation.  And Viacom is losing millions of dollars per hour in ad revenue.  Both sides are highly motivated to make a deal and I guarantee there will be concessions on both sides to get the deal done.

I don't disagree with you there, but something tells me we subscribers are going to be the ones somehow paying for it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 10:57:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not annoyed. I'm all for Directv keeping my cost as low as possible. Fuck viacom. I can live without their crap. Matter of fact I think Directv should charge viacom to put their shit on Directv and lower my bill even more.

So I take it you're buying into Directv's side of the story.  

I'm not saying which side is being most truthful or which side is the right side, but don't for one second think that both sides aren't laying a thick smoke screen to try to win viewers over to their side.  In the end, you have a contract with Directv anyway and while they can likely take away certain programming, they cannot just increase your rates mid contract.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 10:59:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't disagree with you there, but something tells me we subscribers are going to be the ones somehow paying for it.

Maybe at contract renewal time, but for now, you have a contract for a set rate and that rate cannot be arbitrarily increased by Directv.  When renewal time comes, threaten to leave and they'll offer you another great deal.

Link Posted: 7/10/2012 11:00:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

So I take it you're buying into Directv's side of the story.    

I'm not saying which side is being most truthful or which side is the right side, but don't for one second think that both sides aren't laying a thick smoke screen to try to win viewers over to their side.  In the end, you have a contract with Directv anyway and while they can likely take away certain programming, they cannot just increase your rates mid contract.

What's viacom's side? Are they trying to lower my cost?
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 11:03:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Not happy about this either...hopefully it gets fixed but doesnt bone the hell out of the customers.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 11:11:44 PM EDT
[#27]

No they are not. They are trying to make an extra 1 Billion dollars. DirecTV would have to raise their rates 30%.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 11:16:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

No they are not. They are trying to make an extra 1 Billion dollars. DirecTV would have to raise their rates 30%.

I don't buy the 30% but I'm certain viacom wants more of my money for the same crap with ever increasing commercials.

Link Posted: 7/11/2012 12:58:12 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm so fucking sick of this shit!

No G4TV.
Now no comedy central.  

Fuck this!
I'm dropping them.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 1:42:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

No G4TV.
Now no comedy central.  

Fuck this!
I'm dropping them.

Let us know how much that costs you!  I am having the same issue with DishNetwork.   They are in dispute with West Virginia Media who is trying to increase their rates almost 200%.  We have no local channels at the moment.  I called to cancel and was shocked when I found out I would have to pay a cancellation fee.  

I do not blame DishNetwork as I have been in the industry and know how media providers work.  They are always trying to increase their prices to the cable providers.  Its a on going war that in the end makes companies like Dish, Direct and other cable providers look like the bad guy.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 2:23:47 AM EDT
[#31]
The only two out of all those I even want to begin with are TV Land and Comedy Central.   I'd sacrifice those two to not have some of the others from Viacom, if it lowered my bill.  In fact, I'd let them go to avoid an increase in my bill.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 2:43:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Viacom is a multi media giant with several divisions.  They even own billboards.  They have quite a racket going.  One division produces these television shows.  Then they raise to cost of these shows to another division that markets the shows.  This division then wrings it's hands and claims that it is only passing on the higher costs of these shows.  

In this scenario ratings have nothing to do with revenue.  There is no way that the shows possibly justify to their sponsors that it is willing to throw out millions of potential viewers.  

For what it's worth, I have Direct-TV and never watch an of these channels.  So I am looking forward to reduced rates as they no longer have to pay Viacom for them.   Viacom also owns CBS.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 2:45:28 AM EDT
[#33]
You a big MTV fan their chief?
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 3:28:39 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm actually not seeing anything on there that is worth a fuck besides Nick. And even then the kids would just pick another channel and get over it.

Me thinks this is going to hurt Viacom a lot more than Directv.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 4:06:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Viacom can go away and never return and it wouldn't bother me at all.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 4:18:13 AM EDT
[#36]
The only channel on that list I watch is Comedy Central, and I only watch it sporadically. Perhaps once or twice a month tops. If it wasn't for the new Futurama episodes (that I rarely catch) I wouldn't even notice those channels missing.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 4:38:54 AM EDT
[#37]
This is hilarious given all the threads about Dish and AMC and how all these folks are gonna switch to Direct (Direct is run by lowlife scum anyway) and now Direct has this come up.

Link Posted: 7/11/2012 4:41:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't buy the 30% but I'm certain viacom wants more of my money for the same crap with ever increasing commercials.

Same deal with AMC and Dish.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 5:17:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

To cancel its a 20/month of contract fee. I just cancelled mine. The 80$ it cost me to cancel is cheaper than the 90$ a month bill I was paying. Now I just go outside, workout, cook, watch one of 20 over the air digital channels, or read books.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 5:26:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Time to hit the chocolate wonderfall  
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 5:27:00 AM EDT
[#41]
They pulled that shit right in the middle of Workaholics...so not tight butthole...
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 5:35:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No G4TV.
Now no comedy central.  

Fuck this!
I'm dropping them.

Let us know how much that costs you!  I am having the same issue with DishNetwork.   They are in dispute with West Virginia Media who is trying to increase their rates almost 200%.  We have no local channels at the moment.  I called to cancel and was shocked when I found out I would have to pay a cancellation fee.  

I do not blame DishNetwork as I have been in the industry and know how media providers work.  They are always trying to increase their prices to the cable providers.  Its a on going war that in the end makes companies like Dish, Direct and other cable providers look like the bad guy.  

LOL, you were shocked to find out that you signed a contract?
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 5:54:58 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Palladia

Centric

Tr3s

CMT

Logo

Nikelodeon

Teen Nick

NickJr

Nick@Nite

Spike

BET

VH1

VH1 Classic

TV Land

Comedy Central

MTV

Good I hate all those channels.

Link Posted: 7/11/2012 6:00:18 AM EDT
[#44]
And people started dropping Dish Network when they wouldn't pay AMC's asking price...

None of the providers are any damn good. I'll just stick with Dish for the time being. Now, if Dish doesn't carry the Pac-12 Networks, I'll drop them in a minute for someone who will.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 8:32:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Those of you who are anticipating a drop in your rates if Viacom stays off of Directv are delusional.  For the same reason they cannot arbitrarily increase your rates, they do not have to decrease your rates.  Directv is not going to reduce your rates a penny unless you call threatening to drop them.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 12:13:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Those of you who are anticipating a drop in your rates if Viacom stays off of Directv are delusional.  For the same reason they cannot arbitrarily increase your rates, they do not have to decrease your rates.  Directv is not going to reduce your rates a penny unless you call threatening to drop them.

They won't do it then either.  I've been a directv subscriber for about 7 years.  Called last year and asked for a deal and I got $5 off for three months.  Tried again and got free showtime for three months.
They dropped fox nets earlier this year for about two weeks and wouldn't give me shit.

I heard they are negotiating with AMC now.  If that goes south and they drop it for any amount of time I'm done with tv.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 12:14:24 PM EDT
[#47]
This crap pisses me off as i just switched from local cable to Direct a few weeks ago and they pull this shit. I could give a crap less about most of those channels but i did enjoy watching some shows on Comedy Central and will bust out some Nick with the daughter. I should have just kept paying more with charter than make the switch.

Link Posted: 7/11/2012 1:55:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
This crap pisses me off as i just switched from local cable to Direct a few weeks ago and they pull this shit. I could give a crap less about most of those channels but i did enjoy watching some shows on Comedy Central and will bust out some Nick with the daughter. I should have just kept paying more with charter than make the switch.  

I'm kinda in the same boat. I was getting raped on my bill from Dish so I switched to Direct about a month ago. Now they do this shit and I'm furious.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 2:18:43 PM EDT
[#49]
This isn't the first time this has happened. They will come to some sort of deal and the channels will be back.

Link Posted: 7/11/2012 2:22:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This isn't the first time this has happened. They will come to some sort of deal and the channels will be back.  

Yup
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top