Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2012 6:38:44 AM EDT
......but didn't quite turn out as I expected. Oh well, I only waited over 20 years to see them play live again.

Cro-Mags founder accused of stabbing, biting band members at Webster Hall

A former member of the hard-core punk band the Cro-Mags attacked two of the group’s current members with a hunting knife in a dressing room before a show at Webster Hall yesterday — biting one and slashing both.

The band was about to take the stage about 8:15 p.m. when tattooed rocker Harley Flanagan, 42, barreled through the East Village venue’s VIP section toward the Cro-Mags’ dressing room, sending nearly 30 guests on the balcony into a frenzy, law enforcement sources and witnesses said.

“Someone was yelling, ‘Get his hands, get his hands, he’s got a knife!’ ” witness Dave Gustav said. “Everything went nuts.”

Several beefy security guards rushed to contain Flanagan, who seemed about to boil over before he entered the East Village venue.

“I talked to him outside minutes before it happened and I knew something was going to go down,” a witness said, according to the Horns Up Rocks website. “He was like a lunatic outside. Next thing I know he’s in the VIP area stabbing people!”

Flanagan, the band’s former bassist and founder, suffered a broken leg by the time security finally pinned him down, witnesses said. Cops handcuffed him to a chair and took him out.

“People started booing him and throwing stuff at him,” eyewitness Justin Brannan said. “His hands were handcuffed but he still gave everyone the finger.”

William Berario, 45, was slashed above the eye and bitten on his cheek. Michael Couls, 33, — the band’s current bassist, who is known in the hardcore world as “The Gook” — was cut on his arm and stomach.

Both members of Cro-Mags were taken to Bellevue Hospital with non life-threatening wounds.

Flanagan, a New York native, was also taken to the hospital. He was hit with two counts of 2nd degree assault and weapons charges.

The melee forced the East 11th Street concert venue to cancel the show, which was part of the CBGB Festival and also featured the band Sick of It All.

“You can all thank Harley Flanagan for ruining the night for everyone,” Cro-Mags lead singer John Joseph McGowan told the crowd.
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 6:47:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Saw them here in Detroit last year or so at the Shelter. One of the best live shows I have ever seen.

Lots of Vegans there.
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 6:50:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow ! Now I gotta dig around in my old 80's tape case and find my Cro-mags tapes....
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 6:51:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Hahahahah, holy shit.  Awesome.
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 6:55:30 AM EDT
[#4]
World Peace and all that. Still like Agnostic Front and Warzone better.
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 6:57:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Pics of beefy security guards?
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 6:58:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, we know he can do that.
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 7:03:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Damn.  They just played in Philly at a venue where I work.  (I didn't get to work the show)

That is so fucked up.
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 7:10:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 7:12:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

He's also a BJJ black belt under Renzo Gracie. Rolled with him a few times back when I trained.

Quoted:
The Cro Mags are still alive?  

Those beefy security guards proved once again why giant lunkheads make shitty guards if something really happens.

He wasn't stopped by security. He was stopped by members of DMS, a NYHC scene crew of thugs.
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 7:16:22 AM EDT
[#10]
If they wanted to prove they were hardcore, they should've got some stiches on site and continued the show.

Fuck yeah, I would.
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 7:18:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those beefy security guards proved once again why giant lunkheads make shitty guards if something really happens.

He wasn't stopped by security. He was stopped by members of DMS, a NYHC scene crew of thugs.

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that that explains the broken leg.

Link Posted: 7/7/2012 7:19:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
......but didn't quite turn out as I expected. Oh well, I only waited over 20 years to see them play live again.

Cro-Mags founder accused of stabbing, biting band members at Webster Hall

A former member of the hard-core punk band the Cro-Mags attacked two of the group’s current members with a hunting knife in a dressing room before a show at Webster Hall yesterday — biting one and slashing both.

The band was about to take the stage about 8:15 p.m. when tattooed rocker Harley Flanagan, 42, barreled through the East Village venue’s VIP section toward the Cro-Mags’ dressing room, sending nearly 30 guests on the balcony into a frenzy, law enforcement sources and witnesses said.

“Someone was yelling, ‘Get his hands, get his hands, he’s got a knife!’ ” witness Dave Gustav said. “Everything went nuts.”

Several beefy security guards rushed to contain Flanagan, who seemed about to boil over before he entered the East Village venue.

“I talked to him outside minutes before it happened and I knew something was going to go down,” a witness said, according to the Horns Up Rocks website. “He was like a lunatic outside. Next thing I know he’s in the VIP area stabbing people!”

Flanagan, the band’s former bassist and founder, suffered a broken leg by the time security finally pinned him down, witnesses said. Cops handcuffed him to a chair and took him out.

“People started booing him and throwing stuff at him,” eyewitness Justin Brannan said. “His hands were handcuffed but he still gave everyone the finger.”

William Berario, 45, was slashed above the eye and bitten on his cheek. Michael Couls, 33, — the band’s current bassist, who is known in the hardcore world as “The Gook” — was cut on his arm and stomach.

Both members of Cro-Mags were taken to Bellevue Hospital with non life-threatening wounds.

Flanagan, a New York native, was also taken to the hospital. He was hit with two counts of 2nd degree assault and weapons charges.

The melee forced the East 11th Street concert venue to cancel the show, which was part of the CBGB Festival and also featured the band Sick of It All.

“You can all thank Harley Flanagan for ruining the night for everyone,” Cro-Mags lead singer John Joseph McGowan told the crowd.

Zombie?
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 7:23:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Appropriate band is appropriate
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 7:31:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Must've been the bath salts.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 7:48:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 7:51:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's also a BJJ black belt under Renzo Gracie. Rolled with him a few times back when I trained.

Quoted:

Department of Metal Security?
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 8:03:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Fuckin cro-mags. Takes me back

Link Posted: 7/7/2012 8:04:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, it really puts the kibosh on things when that happens.

Link Posted: 7/7/2012 8:30:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that that explains the broken leg.

Ahhh, yup. He got stomped pretty good.

Quoted:
I haven't listened to them since the 80s... I can't believe they're still around.  

They've reformed numerous times over the years with different lineups but no one really cared until now that they have John Joseph back on vocals.
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 8:33:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Legendary NYHC (New York Hardcore) crew.
Originally "Doc Martin Skins", but later also came to mean "Demonstrating My Style", "Drugs, Money & Sex", "Droppin' Many Suckers", and/or "Dirty Money Syndicate".
Associated acts include: Agnostic Front, Madball, Skarhead, Crown of Thornz, Hatebreed, Icepick, Vietnom, Stigma, Bulldoze, Resistance, and H2O.
Notable People: Roger Miret, Freddy "Madball" Cricien, Vinnie Stigma, Hoya Roc, Lord Ezec, Jamey Jasta, KevOne
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 8:48:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Great band !!! Saw them a few times and always had lots of fun. Age of Quarrel is one of the best Hardcore albums IMHO.
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 8:48:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 8:51:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Legendary NYHC (New York Hardcore) crew.
Originally "Doc Martin Skins", but later also came to mean "Demonstrating My Style", "Drugs, Money & Sex", "Droppin' Many Suckers", and/or "Dirty Money Syndicate".
Associated acts include: Agnostic Front, Madball, Skarhead, Crown of Thornz, Hatebreed, Icepick, Vietnom, Stigma, Bulldoze, Resistance, and H2O.
Notable People: Roger Miret, Freddy "Madball" Cricien, Vinnie Stigma, Hoya Roc, Lord Ezec, Jamey Jasta, KevOne

That's a pretty solid line up.

Taking me back to being a teen. Now my son is  going to have to listen to it all day

Link Posted: 7/7/2012 8:51:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Wait a second. You guys said this kinda thing only happenes at rap concerts. Are these guys savages too?

Jim
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 11:46:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Wait a second. You guys said this kinda thing only happenes at rap concerts. Are these guys savages too?

Some of the guys at the show last night were from the crew mentioned above, DMS. I saw those guys hand out some of the worst beatings I've ever seen when I used to go to shows as a teenager. Even as a cop in Bed-Stuy I never saw people get stomped as bad as people who got jumped by those guys at CBGBs back in the late '80s. Got so bad at one point that all the clubs just stopped having hardcore shows.
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 11:51:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Bath Salts.
He just wanted a little bit of fresh jerky.  
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 11:54:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Harley's always been a crazy motherfucker. Can't say I'm surprised he stabbed a few people, more surprised it was bandmates.
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 11:56:05 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some of the guys at the show last night were from the crew mentioned above, DMS. I saw those guys hand out some of the worst beatings I've ever seen when I used to go to shows as a teenager. Even as a cop in Bed-Stuy I never saw people get stomped as bad as people who got jumped by those guys at CBGBs back in the late '80s. Got so bad at one point that all the clubs just stopped having hardcore shows.

Even growing up going to hardcore shows on the west coast you'd get crews who'd fuck people up. You had to be cool because you didn't know who was who and it wold help to always having friends around.

I remember I got pretty roughed up by a couple of dudes who singled me and a couple others out.

One of the others had a bunch of friends who in turn fucked them up pretty bad. When I realized what was going on and after the first minute or so of ass kicking I decided that was not the place to be.

Link Posted: 7/7/2012 11:58:19 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Hahahahah, holy shit.  Awesome.

LOL yeah

can't accuse them of being poseurs

Link Posted: 7/7/2012 11:59:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My how things change, when I finally got to go to CBGBs in 2004 I got to listen to a whinny ass emo band.
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 12:26:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Harley's always been a crazy motherfucker. Can't say I'm surprised he stabbed a few people, more surprised it was bandmates.

He hasn't gotten along with the original members, especially John Joseph, since the '80s.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My how things change, when I finally got to go to CBGBs in 2004 I got to listen to a whinny ass emo band.

CBs and the surrounding neighborhood was a hellhole in the '80s.
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 7:19:31 AM EDT
[#32]
I woke up with a hangover this morning. Got some coffee and checked my facebook. There's an apology on there from the band for events of the other day. Quite humerous...

I forgot I even added them. Now I wanna go see them. Never saw them live back in the day.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top