Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/29/2012 7:26:33 PM EDT
Moved into a new-to-us home, upstairs AC unit cannot keep up.  Called home warranty, 3 days later they get their tech out here.  After about an hour he diagnoses it to have a blockage of the condenser coil, recommends replacing outside condensing unit.

I have read a LOT of horror stories.  Has anyone had theirs handled by a home warranty company?  Were you happy with the experience?
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:32:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you have warranty coverage? If so, then use it. Get the contract out and read it word by word. Know exactly what is covered when you call them.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:46:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Get ready to see some real weaseling.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:49:05 PM EDT
[#3]
good luck, let us know how it turns out.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:54:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I can't imagine they would, but I am curious to hear the responses.

One of our friends just bought a 20 year old house and 20 year old a/c units, and thinks that when the A/C goes, he'll get a brand new, high efficiency unit at the first sign of trouble from his 20 year old units.

Home warranties are pyramid schemes, and the top don't get rich, by paying out for anything but the bare minimum.

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 8:00:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I believe there is a max they pay out. Read the contract.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 8:07:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Moved into a new-to-us home, upstairs AC unit cannot keep up.  Called home warranty, 3 days later they get their tech out here.  After about an hour he diagnoses it to have a blockage of the condenser coil, recommends replacing outside condensing unit.

I have read a LOT of horror stories.  Has anyone had theirs handled by a home warranty company?  Were you happy with the experience?

Yep, I have had experience.Unless it's a CLEAR CUT mechanical failure, which doesn't sound like you have. They will tell you it is due to lack of maintenance. You'll need to pay someone to come in and bring it up to " Normal operating conditions". Wish I had better news for you. I dropped them immediately. Lesson learned.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 8:07:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 8:09:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Didn't work for my sister and brother-in-law with the same company.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 8:26:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Didn't work for my sister and brother-in-law with the same company.

I just dumped AHS for refusing to replace my AC unit. Talking to a few local HVAC guys, that seems to be pretty normal for them.

Usually 100% dependent on how the tech writes up the claim. Certain key words and phrases, etc. Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 8:30:35 PM EDT
[#10]
They replaced an air handler in one of my last rent houses. It was cheap piece of crap but they replaced it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 8:35:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Didn't work for me 10 years ago. Tech said he'd never seen them pay.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 8:46:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

They fucked us on a rental property, it was over a gas hot water heater took them 2 months to finally get it fixed. 1st Contractor wanted $75 each visit for it too they visited  26 times and each time they were there it wouldn't stay lit, we got fed up called that warranty company again and got a 2nd different contractor thinking it would be better 2nd time around they ended up coming out 19 times for $75 each visit.  We told the first one to pound sand you aint getting $1900 in service call fees when you didn't fix it the 1st or 26th time, second one...do the math.  

A/C went out a week later, they sent the same A/C guy out 3 times + $75 each call and still hadnt fixed it.  Its hot here spending a day without A/C is stupid and 3 days is unacceptable.  

On one of our rentals the refridgerator stopped working, tenant has 2 infants with formula that needed to be cold, warranty company wanted to wait a week before sending repairman out to fix it.  seriously WTF  All in all it would have been faster & less head ache to just call a repairman to have the service performed on that day.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 8:53:47 PM EDT
[#13]
These home warranty companies send out the cheapest techs they can find.  And you get what they pay for.

We had Colonial when we got our new-to-us home in 2009.  The downstairs AC compressor went out (Lennox) and Colonial sent Larry, Moe, and Curly AC repair stooges.

They replaced the compressor and it seemed that these three stooges quite didn't know what the hell they were doing.
They had a hard time getting the system charged back up.  I guess they charged the crap out of it that the unit really didn't work all that efficiently.

By last summer a AC tech came out and diagnosed an overcharged AC system.  He set it to the correct charge but two months later the compressor crapped out again.

Luckily it was last late September so we basically sucked it up for the remainder of the season.  We have an upstairs unit so with fans it wasn't too bad.

Got a new condenser unit this last April from a real HVAC company.

The 3 stooges AC repair guys were out of business.  Not terribly surprised.

I recommend whoever they send out get a reputable AC tech to come over and check their work.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 9:27:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

One of our friends just bought a 20 year old house and 20 year old a/c units, and thinks that when the A/C goes, he'll get a brand new, high efficiency unit at the first sign of trouble from his 20 year old units.

Home warranties are pyramid schemes, and the top don't get rich, by paying out for anything but the bare minimum.

BS, I have had their warreny for 6 years and never had a problem. They replaced my upstairs unit 2 weeks ago and the downstairs unit last year. Fixed my dishwasher a few months back as well. Each use only cost $60. Has been well worth it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 2:57:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I have done many service orders for American Home Shield and they will usually repair the unit as long as parts are still available but if they are not they do replace the unit. I have had them replace dozens of refrigerators because they were non repairable also.

Link Posted: 6/30/2012 3:01:37 PM EDT
[#16]
They are one of the best. But it really depends on the coverage you bought. Without knowing its impossible to say if it's covered.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 3:18:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This. My experiencs has been that if they can get it running again, even temporarily, they will.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 3:48:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, THEIR tech said unit needs replacing.  He left on Friday and said AHS will contact me ASAP and let me know next steps, but they needed to approve the replacement first.  I have read stories from most people it seems they deny coverage based on their making up a buncha BS that the system wasn't maintained properly.  However, others have gotten theirs replaced.  It seems they work better when its a minor repair.

I dont like the idea of having a mismatched system as my unit is 16 years old, I'd rather take the money they would spend and just get a reputable guy to replace the whole system with a super-efficient one, as we knew it was about time to have to replace the sucka.

I was just curious what the experiences or thoughts of arfcom were.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 3:57:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'd rather take the money they would spend and just get a reputable guy to replace the whole system with a super-efficient one,

That's what I did (I had AHS also).

Link Posted: 6/30/2012 4:35:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I had a AC/Heater combo unit replaced by my home insurance company, Old Republic.  There was a deductible, and they did not cover the new duct needed for the newer unit. I still ended up paying only 15% of a $5k job.

You have to get on the phone and argue and push,there had been four or five $60 service calls originally for the malfunctioning unit but I had them waive it because it was their tech over and over.

CW
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 7:56:46 PM EDT
[#21]
AHS didn't pay for mine when it started failing a few years ago.  Had them out several times, each time they'd change one part.  Eventually they said it was fixed, even though it wasn't.  Wouldn't blow cold enough air.  It would run continuously and it was still 80+ degrees in the house.

I ended up paying to have my own unit put in.  

AHS is worthless.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:11:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Well, apparently the replacement 2.5 ton heat pump condensing unit was approved and is on the way for the AHS selected contractor to pick up.  I'll seriously be shocked if this turns out well and I dont have out of pocket costs.  

Its almost been a week at this point, and every indication is that this repair will be at least 2-3 more days beforegetting done... so I wouldnt depend on a home warranty if you NEEDED air conditioning.  :-)
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:21:54 AM EDT
[#23]
21000 posts.

Did you bother reading your contract?
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:22:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Shaved, greased weaseling.

You might get lucky, but if the past is any guide...

They will try to blame you for the blockage.  Running too hot, running too cold, no preventative work, bald spots in your yard, moon phase, Zodiac sign.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:27:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:31:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Limited experience with it as AHS for 1 yr was included in the purchase of our home.

I had to have ~$160 of work done on our unit.  It cost me $60 for the visit which I paid directly to the tech.  It was simple fix fwiw.

The tech they sent out is nobody I'd ever seen then or since.  Bottom of the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:32:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:39:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:39:53 AM EDT
[#29]
When we bought our house it came with an AHS warranty.  We had a plumbing leak in the foundation within the first year.  It was an expensive fix, so AHS cashed out of the warranty (gave us the purchase price of the warranty) and left us to foot the bill for the fix.  I wasn't impressed with them.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:41:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This was my experience with my home warranty company. It was a different one, but they are all about the same.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:57:03 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

21000 posts.

Did you bother reading your contract?

Wow.  Thanks for your thoughtless and worthless post in this thread.  Trying to get your post count up?

For your info, yes I did read it.  All of it.  The contracts are meaningless when all protections go to AHS and not the homeowner.  They have multiple "out" clauses... which is why I was asking for experiences.  Now, if you dont have anything helpful, feel free to piss off out of this thread.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 9:05:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Do you have warranty coverage? If so, then use it. Get the contract out and read it word by word. Know exactly what is covered when you call them.

This
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 9:05:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

And this
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 9:12:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 1:29:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

BS, I have had their warreny for 6 years and never had a problem. They replaced my upstairs unit 2 weeks ago and the downstairs unit last year. Fixed my dishwasher a few months back as well. Each use only cost $60. Has been well worth it.

You are lucky and not the usual experience.  American Home Shield is currently facing a class action suit for their business practices.  

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 1:44:22 PM EDT
[#36]
I have had the warranty for about 2 years. They replaced my leaking evaporator coil for $60 which would have been pricey if I did not have the warranty.  The techs they sent out were good and said a previous evap coil fix was done improperly under a different warranty company and HVAC tech.. My general understanding is that they will fix unless unfixable. I know they were sued and lost a year or so ago over the whole "preventative maintenance"" issue so maybe they're better now..
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 1:45:53 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are lucky and not the usual experience. American Home Shield is currently facing a class action suit for their business practices.

They are ALWAYS under a class action lawsuit, pretty much at any given time.  As are many home warranty companies.  When we bought this house and the seller offerred to pay for this, we researched the options, and our consensus from research was "throw a dart - they all suck"

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 1:48:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
 They will cover everything except that part that broke.  Sorry OP you got fucked.

Edit guess I should have read the whole thing.  I'm shocked.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 1:49:25 PM EDT
[#39]
BTW, DO NOT sit around and wait for their call. Call them at least twice a day on the status.

Keep us updated. I am watching!
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 3:59:52 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

BTW, DO NOT sit around and wait for their call. Call them at least twice a day on the status.

Keep us updated. I am watching!

The problem is the hold times are over an hour for AHS right now, due to the really high temps across the nation.  The lady I spoke with today said they currently had 800 people on hold at that instant.    That's one way to not have to pay - people get frustrated and just pony up the dough to get things fixed quickly.  

I'll be calling the AHS appointed HVAC contractor tomorrow afternoon for a status.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#41]
We had claim after claim for our two units last summer.  They would come out, put in some freon, and replace a valve here and there. I finally got angry enough that I showed the tech all of the receipts for the systems.  I told him that even I knew if they were replacing freon all of the time then there was a leak somewhere.  He agreed and told me that AHS will not pay for leak detections if the unit takes less than a certian amount of freon.  

I had him check anyway and he discovered the evaporator coil was leaking.  The plenum had to be rebuilt also, and I still had to pay $1100.00 out of pocket.  

I fired AHS then.  

We are participating in the latest suit.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 4:13:45 PM EDT
[#42]

I had decent luck with them.  Pool filter grid was torn but since the equipment was too old to easily find replacement parts, the tech told them it needed an entire new filter.  No problems just the $45(?) service fee.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 4:22:04 PM EDT
[#43]
From my experience It will be the least expensive unit that can be purchased. The company doing it is being penalized because they could not come up with a fix and  with enough penalties they will be removed from the call list. At that point you get the next guy in line who has a cheaper/better record of repairs.    

How old is the indoor coil? Are they replacing the indoor coil if it is rated at less than 13 SEER? Is the new unit going to be R-410 or a "dry" r-22 unit married to the old Evaporator coil?
If so do you know R-22 has risen in cost this year by nearly 500%. Did you know that it is being phased out by having reduced amounts available annually through 2020  . Are you getting a unit that the next it breaks down may have to replaced simply because it be more economically feasible to do so.

I wish you well because I do not know anyone who has come out of a HVAC system replacement with it in their best long term interest.

I kinda look at it as an introduction to the new health care system

edited because I can't type worth a dang it seems
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 5:06:15 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

We had claim after claim for our two units last summer. They would come out, put in some freon, and replace a valve here and there. I finally got angry enough that I showed the tech all of the receipts for the systems. I told him that even I knew if they were replacing freon all of the time then there was a leak somewhere. He agreed and told me that AHS will not pay for leak detections if the unit takes less than a certian amount of freon.

I had him check anyway and he discovered the evaporator coil was leaking. The plenum had to be rebuilt also, and I still had to pay $1100.00 out of pocket.

I fired AHS then.

Nice!  Interesting too, since plenums are covered in my contract.  Another interesting point, the initial "5 minute diagnosis" for me was "low on freon".  I asked him that since this is a sealed system, any amount low = a leak.  He agreed and said he would perform a full leak check as soon as he was done adding it.  Then an overpressure valve or sensor blew right after he said that, so he hooked up the high-pressure gagues (he has previously only connected the low pressure suction side) and saw a head pressure over 400psi! (Normal at that time/temp would have been around 250psi.)  

$1100 for what?  if the coil is covered - that seems really high.  I know a lot of people dont pay for the "service plus" package, but that was include din our bundle, so we dont pay for code violations, permits, freon recovery, removal of defective equipment, equipment haul-off, mismatched systems, or undetectable pre-existing conditions.  I know a lot of people get dinged bigtime out-of-pocket on those items.... I cannot imagine why anyone would pay $400 a year for the insurance without also spending the additional $80 for that package.  I wonder if thats one of the big differences, or if it just matters which HVAC company you happen to get.

She (AHS) told me on the phone today she reviewed my stuff and there does not appear to be any other out-of-pocket expenses, so we will see.

Did they review the out of pocket expenses with you before they did the work?  Or was it sticker shock at the end of the work?  If they pull that crap I will be PISSED and not pay.  I'm thinking that should be discussed up front.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 5:25:22 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

From my experience It will be the least expensive unit that can be purchased. The company doing it is being penalized because they could not come up with a fix and with enough penalties they will be removed from the call list. At that point you get the next guy in line who has a cheaper/better record of repairs.

How old is the indoor coil? Are they replacing the indoor coil if it is rated at less than 13 SEER? Is the new unit going to be R-410 or a "dry" r-22 unit married to the old Evaporator coil?

If so do you know R-22 has risen in cost this year by nearly 500%. Did you know that it is being phased out by having reduced amounts available annually through 2020 . Are you getting a unit that the next it breaks down may have to replaced simply because it be more economically feasible to do so.

I wish you well because I do not know anyone who has come out of a HVAC system replacement with it in their best long term interest.

I kinda look at it as an introduction to the new health care system

edited because I can't type worth a dang it seems

The indoor coil was obviously previousy replaced - in 2008. They are NOT replacing that. The outside unit is a 12 SEER YORK 2.5 ton, from 1996. The inside coil is a American Standard/Trane, 3-ton coil 2TXCB036BC3HCAA but I cannot find out its SEER rating. I believe it is a 13 SEER. It does have a TXV. Weird though to see the coild be larger tonnage than the condensor.

All R-22. I didnt know that R22 went skyrockting this year. A new consensor should come with a full load however, and any other stuff should be covered by the warranty. That's a bummer for sure... but the home warranty is in control of what they will and will not replace.

If/when we do a full unit changeout, we will be moving to the new gas for sure.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 5:54:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:
We had claim after claim for our two units last summer. They would come out, put in some freon, and replace a valve here and there. I finally got angry enough that I showed the tech all of the receipts for the systems. I told him that even I knew if they were replacing freon all of the time then there was a leak somewhere. He agreed and told me that AHS will not pay for leak detections if the unit takes less than a certian amount of freon.

I had him check anyway and he discovered the evaporator coil was leaking. The plenum had to be rebuilt also, and I still had to pay $1100.00 out of pocket.

I fired AHS then.

Yes, we knew the price before they started work.  There were items that needed replacement that AHS said was nit a result of the bad evaporator, so we were SOL.  

Nice!  Interesting too, since plenums are covered in my contract.  Another interesting point, the initial "5 minute diagnosis" for me was "low on freon".  I asked him that since this is a sealed system, any amount low = a leak.  He agreed and said he would perform a full leak check as soon as he was done adding it.  Then an overpressure valve or sensor blew right after he said that, so he hooked up the high-pressure gagues (he has previously only connected the low pressure suction side) and saw a head pressure over 400psi! (Normal at that time/temp would have been around 250psi.)  

$1100 for what?  if the coil is covered - that seems really high.  I know a lot of people dont pay for the "service plus" package, but that was include din our bundle, so we dont pay for code violations, permits, freon recovery, removal of defective equipment, equipment haul-off, mismatched systems, or undetectable pre-existing conditions.  I know a lot of people get dinged bigtime out-of-pocket on those items.... I cannot imagine why anyone would pay $400 a year for the insurance without also spending the additional $80 for that package.  I wonder if thats one of the big differences, or if it just matters which HVAC company you happen to get.

She (AHS) told me on the phone today she reviewed my stuff and there does not appear to be any other out-of-pocket expenses, so we will see.

Did they review the out of pocket expenses with you before they did the work?  Or was it sticker shock at the end of the work?  If they pull that crap I will be PISSED and not pay.  I'm thinking that should be discussed up front.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 6:48:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Check your building codes, in Florida I am not allowed to put in a mismatched system or r22 system. if I had the money home warranty companies owe me I cloud pay cash for a nice diesel BMW and still have money left over

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 3:24:02 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Check your building codes, in Florida I am not allowed to put in a mismatched system or r22 system. if I had the money home warranty companies owe me I cloud pay cash for a nice diesel BMW and still have money left over

We dont have those here.  I have read where FL is real strict on that stuff.

HVAC company called, they have the new condensing unit delivered, but cannot schedule the repair for 3 more days - on Friday.  He said over the phone, no out of pocket expenses.  We will see.
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 10:18:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Ok guys. All fixed now.

The outside condensing heat pump was replaced with a new Payne brand 13 SEER, on day 10. They had to install a new pad, as the old one was a smaller size. Pads are not covered under the home warranty. That did not fix the problem and it had the exact same issue as before. They had to call a tech back out, as this company uses team of "replacement jockeys" to do swap-outs, and techs do the diagnosis. The tech came on day 12, replaced the TXV, and all fixed now.

The only out of pocket expense I paid was for the original $60 AHS copay. They didn't even charge me for the AC unit pad.

Unreal... I am impressed. Plus, everyone from the HVAC contractor they sent was super nice, very well spoken and cordial. The only negative in the entire experience was the amount of time it took for resolution, which was primarily driven by the original mis-diagnosis and the backlog the AC company has right now due to the extreme temps. Although, I am happy with the misdiagnosis, because I got a brand new outside unit out of the deal.
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 10:25:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I believe there is a max they pay out. Read the contract.

Only for geothermal
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top