Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/28/2012 11:49:18 AM EDT
Section I.

WHEREAS, the 2nd Amendment provides:  "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"; and,

WHEREAS, Congress seeks by this legislation to to facilitate the security of America as a free state; now, therefore:

Section II.

(A)      Individual Mandate.   Every able-bodied American over the age of 18 shall purchase a center fire rifle of at least 5.56 NATO caliber and capable of 5 or more shots without reloading, as well as not less than 500 rounds of ammunition.

(B)      Tax.    The IRS shall collect a $1500.00 tax upon any individual who does not comply with the individual mandate.

Link Posted: 6/28/2012 11:50:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Section I.

WHEREAS, the 2nd Amendment provides:  "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"; and,

WHEREAS, Congress seeks by this legislation to to facilitate the security of America as a free state; now, therefore:

Section II.

(A)      Individual Mandate.   Every able-bodied American over the age of 18 shall purchase a center fire rifle of at least 5.56 NATO caliber and capable of 5 or more shots without reloading, as well as not less than 500 rounds of ammunition.

(B)      Tax.    The IRS shall collect a $1500.00 tax upon any individual who does not comply with the individual mandate.

I like this.

Link Posted: 6/28/2012 11:51:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Section I.

Section II.

(A)      Individual Mandate.   Every able-bodied American over the age of 18 shall purchase a select fire center fire rifle of at least 5.56 NATO caliber and capable of 5 or more shots without reloading, as well as not less than 500 rounds of ammunition.

Fixed it for ya.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 11:58:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Section I.

Section II.

(A)      Individual Mandate.   Every able-bodied American over the age of 18 shall purchase a select fire center fire rifle of at least 5.56 NATO caliber and capable of 5 or more shots without reloading, as well as not less than 500 rounds of ammunition.

Fixed it for ya.

Naw... We don't need to mandate the "Cadillac" weapons to make our point.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 12:09:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Section I.

Section II.

(A)      Individual Mandate.   Every able-bodied American over the age of 18 shall purchase a select fire center fire rifle of at least 5.56 NATO caliber and capable of 20 or more shots without reloading, as well as not less than 500 rounds of ammunition.

Fixed it for ya.

Double-fixed.  20 round mag MINIMUM.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 12:22:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Can we amend the bill to require the rifle be American built?
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 12:26:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Sure
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 12:34:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 12:35:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Section I.

Section II.

(A)      Individual Mandate.   Every able-bodied American over the age of 18 shall purchase a select fire center fire rifle of at least 5.56 NATO caliber and capable of 20 or more shots without reloading, sound suppressor, and not less than 500 rounds of ammunition.

Fixed it for ya.

Fixed it for you to add the suppressor requirement. Wouldn't want anyone to damage their hearing would you?
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 12:36:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Section I.

Section II.

Sounds good to me, other than the fact it would drive the price of ammo even higher.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 12:37:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Sounds good to me, other than the fact it would drive the price of ammo even higher.

Sounds like we need to add "State Exchanges" to accumulate and market ammunition....
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 12:38:24 PM EDT
[#11]
That needs to be an annual tax for each year not in compliance, methinks.

Link Posted: 6/28/2012 12:38:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Where is the Hookers and Blow amendment?
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 12:39:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Bush Sr, is that you?
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 12:46:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Keep amending this thing and you might have something worthy of actually sending to our representatives.  

Hell maybe we can get the NRA to push this for us with their monetary backing
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 12:54:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Keep amending this thing and you might have something worthy of actually sending to our representatives.  

The only think I hate about it, is that proving compliance entails a level of documentation that is essentially equivalent to gun registration
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 12:56:26 PM EDT
[#16]
So...would those not legally able to purchase said firearm automatically be taxed?
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 1:39:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Can we amend the between 17 and 45.  I am still a Patriot even though I am coming up to that 45 age.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 1:41:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only think I hate about it, is that proving compliance entails a level of documentation that is essentially equivalent to gun registration

Ok who's got a solution to this?
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 1:42:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Section I.

Section II.

I've already brought this up with my congressman on FB. I also adviced a housing act. Everyone must purchase a home if they don't already have housing or pay a tax penalty. This will solve the homeless problem and boost the housing market.

Link Posted: 6/28/2012 1:45:15 PM EDT
[#20]
How about a tax rebate for annual training?
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 1:51:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Simple affidavit clause on tax form.

"I attest under penalty of perjury that I comply with the firearm ownership deduction as outlined."

If you get audited, you would need to bring your AR and accoutrements to the IRS office.  

Link Posted: 6/28/2012 1:58:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Section I.

Section II.

Do you have a problem if I cut and paste this to my congressman's facebook page?
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 2:37:10 PM EDT
[#23]
In best Borat voice...

Very Nice!
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 2:39:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Don't forget that 100% of the 'tax' collected needs to be used for improving gun ranges and firearm education.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 9:58:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If EVERYONE had an MG, there wouldn't be much to worry about with secret lists and whatnot...
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 10:28:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Hell no.

Its not good even when its something you like.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 6:05:57 AM EDT
[#27]
I am stealing this idea for my blog and Facebook. Whether or not it's a good idea is beside the point. We know it will never pass. But it makes for a good counter-argument to the Obama Health Care Tax.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 6:06:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Oh, you're on the ballot for November?
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 6:11:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Hell no.

Exactly the point.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 6:17:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Make it AR-15 type and require 30 round magazines.

Then we get extra revenue from California, NJ, etc.

Quoted:
Hell no.

Second Militia Act of 1792.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 8:12:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If EVERYONE had an MG, there wouldn't be much to worry about with secret lists and whatnot...

Good point.   But that would be the case even if everyone only had a Winchester 94 or Remington 700.    The point is everyone should have a repeating rifle, bolt, semi, pump or whatever.   And get taxed if they don't.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 8:23:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hell no.

Exactly the point.

BINGO
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 8:30:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point.   But that would be the case even if everyone only had a Winchester 94 or Remington 700.    The point is everyone should have a repeating rifle, bolt, semi, pump or whatever.   And get taxed if they don't.

Wait...  I think the bill should be amended to be a select-fire M16A4, M4 or M249.  That would be the only gun on your "registry", and the rest would be private.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 8:31:15 AM EDT
[#34]
I like it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 8:39:13 AM EDT
[#35]
I like this idea and ran with it on my blog. Tax THIS.

Part one of my suggested legislation is to repeal the NFA of 1934.

Part two amends 10 USC 311 to require each member of the unorganized militia to own and keep in good working order a then-current service rifle. If the M-16 is replaced with blasters, we do not want militiamen limited to M-16s.

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 8:43:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Those of you hitting facebook with this would do well to look at Tango7's post in this thread which really did some cool things by pulling in the existing militia law on the books.   That's good stuff.

Personally, I think we want to avoid making the mandate gun a select fire or even semi-auto.   Lets not alienate the hunter types.

Remember that more than anything else, the proposal is a rhetorical exercise to show just how slippery the "individual mandate" as a tax slope really is.   Take any "inactivity"  (failure to buy health insurance, failure to buy a gun, failure to buy a General Motors car, failure to 'volunteer' for the jobs corps, failure to turn in your neighbors for subversive speech), draft a mandate, and then say that those who fail to comply with the mandate pay a tax and you have just given the government plenary power.

The Roberts opinion squashed the "commerce is everything" argument, only to open up a worse loophole leading to unbounded federal power via a taxation hook.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 8:53:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Section I.

WHEREAS, Congress seeks by this legislation to to facilitate the security of America as a free state and;

WHEREAS, 10 USC § 311 currently states that:

(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.
(b) The classes of the militia are—
(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.
and

WHEREAS, legislation and judicial findings since the enactment of that law have changed the application of limitations based on age and gender;

therefore:

Section II.

(A)      10 USC § 311 is hereby amended to read:

(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied citizens at least 17 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States.
(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

(B)      Individual Mandate.   Every able-bodied American over the age of 17, who has not lost the right to own firearms by court action, shall purchase a select fire center fire rifle of at least 5.56 NATO caliber and capable of 20 or more shots without reloading, as well as not less than 500 rounds of ammunition and six (6) ammunition feeding devices (magazines).

(C)      Tax.    The IRS shall collect a $1500.00 tax upon any qualified individual who does not comply with the individual mandate.

Fixed it for ya.

Triple fixed. Existing US Code cited and corrected for age and gender, age corrected to meet USC and magazine ownership added.

Will the fix in blue solve the "great, now felons have to buy guns" problem?
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 9:01:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Make into a true tax.  Impose the tax on all individuals to be used to help fund the militia and then provide a tax credit (up to the purchase price) for those who purchases a qualified firearm.  Then figure out who the board sponsors are and arrange it that only they sell qualified firearms...

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 9:02:28 AM EDT
[#39]
i don't want anyone telling me i have to buy a goddamn thing, even if it's something i want.

a better idea would be to sneak a repeal of the hughes amendment into some massive clusterfuck of a bill like the health care one. 2700 pages? like anyone read that shit.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 9:06:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Section I.

Section II.

Pass that law and I'll build an ammo factory.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 9:13:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Need to send this to Sue Myrick. (my congresswoman).

Tagged.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 9:16:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
i don't want anyone telling me i have to buy a goddamn thing, even if it's something i want.

a better idea would be to sneak a repeal of the hughes amendment into some massive clusterfuck of a bill like the health care one. 2700 pages? like anyone read that shit.

I've suggested that before.  How hard is it to slip:

"18USC 44 is hereby repealed."

into a 2700 page bill?
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 9:20:52 AM EDT
[#43]
One more fix:

(B)      Individual Mandate.   Every able-bodied American over the age of 17, who has not lost the right to own firearms by court action, shall purchase and maintain a select fire center fire rifle of at least 5.56 NATO caliber and capable of 20 or more shots without reloading, as well as not less than 500 rounds of ammunition and six (6) ammunition feeding devices (magazines).
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 9:33:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
One more fix:

(B)      Individual Mandate.   Every able-bodied American over the age of 17, who has not lost the right to own firearms by court action, shall purchase and maintain a select fire center fire rifle of at least 5.56 NATO caliber and capable of 20 or more shots without reloading, as well as not less than 500 rounds of ammunition and six (6) ammunition feeding devices (magazines).

I don't like the "lost his rights thing."

The "academic" leftists have specifically shifted their gun control philosophy from supply side to demand side.   Their goal now is to disqualify as many persons from being able to own a gun as possible.  

Consider "....who has not lost the right to own firearms by Court action after due process and a full hearing in which the basis for such loss of rights is proved beyond a reasonable doubt ..."

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 9:35:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Since this thread is doing better than mine n the same idea, I shall now participate in this one.

I endorse the idea.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 9:38:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Section I.

WHEREAS, the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution provides that  "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"; and,

WHEREAS, it is the right of every citizen to defend him or herself, and the duty of every able body citizen to defend this Nation, and;

WHEREAS, it is the intent of the Congress to not only ensure the security of America as a free state, but to clarify that the rights of self defense and the ownership of firearms are natural rights, and;

(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.
and

WHEREAS, legislation and judicial findings since the enactment of that law have changed the application of limitations based on age and gender;

IT IS THEREFORE RESOLVED THAT:

Section II.

(A)      10 USC § 311 is hereby amended to read:

(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied United States citizens at least 17 years of age who are, or those persons who have made a declaration of intention to become citizens of the United States.
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of every able-bodied United States citizen who is not a member of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

(B)      Individual Mandate.   Every able-bodied United States citizen over the age of 17, who has not lost the right to own firearms by court action, shall own and maintain a center fire rifle of at least 5.56 NATO caliber and capable of firing not less than twenty rounds without reloading, and shall own and maintain not less than 500 rounds of ammunition suitable for use in said rifle and not less than six (6) ammunition feeding devices (magazines) suitable for use with said rifle and ammunition.

(C)      Tax.    The IRS shall collect a tax of $1,500.00 from every qualified United States citizen in each year in which said individual has not complied with the individual mandate described hereinabove under Subsection (B) of this statute.

Made a few tweaks of my own.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 9:41:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Made a few tweaks of my own.

Nice.   See my post just above to tweak the loss of rights in court issue and add some safeguards.  Then edit your post to incorporate that, if you please.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 9:43:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
One more fix:

I don't like the "lost his rights thing."

The "academic" leftists have specifically shifted their gun control philosophy from supply side to demand side.   Their goal now is to disqualify as many persons from being able to own a gun as possible.  

Consider "....who has not lost the right to own firearms by Court action after due process and a full hearing in which the basis for such loss of rights is proved beyond a reasonable doubt ..."

I like.  Since that conflicts with the Lautenberg Amendment where someone loses their gun rights on a restraining order, that'll have to go to the Supremes for a ruling.  What a shame.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 9:48:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Section I.

WHEREAS, the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution provides that "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"; and,

WHEREAS, it is the right of every citizen to defend him or herself, and the duty of every able body citizen to defend this Nation, and;

WHEREAS, it is the intent of the Congress to not only ensure the security of America as a free state, but to clarify that the rights of self defense and the ownership of firearms are natural rights, and;

(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia. and

IT IS THEREFORE RESOLVED THAT:

Section II.

(A) 10 USC § 311 is hereby amended to read:

(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied United States citizens at least 17 years of age who are, or those persons who have made a declaration of intention to become citizens of the United States.
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of every able-bodied United States citizen who is not a member of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

(B) Individual Mandate. Every able-bodied United States citizen over the age of 17, who has not lost the right to own firearms by court action (after due process and a full hearing in which the basis for such loss of rights is proved beyond a reasonable doubt), shall own and maintain a center fire rifle of at least .223 caliber, and capable of repeated shots without reloading, and shall own and maintain not less than 500 rounds of ammunition suitable for use in said rifle and not less than six (6) ammunition feeding devices (magazines) suitable for use with said rifle and ammunition.

(C) Tax. The IRS shall collect a tax of $1,500.00 from every qualified United States citizen in each year in which said individual has not complied with the individual mandate described hereinabove under Subsection (B) of this statute.

First blue edit updates the "felons can't have guns" section, second edit is in agreement with NagOrzo15-1 that we don't want to alienate the hunters, or make the cost of the rifle an undue burden.  Any repeating weapon will do (and is, frankly, in the finest tradition of the Minutemen), whether that's the Thutty-Thutty Grandpa owned or the FN SCAR.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 9:49:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Tag.

I like where this is going

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top