Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/26/2012 8:02:02 AM EDT
http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/Peterborough-clerk-says-she-was-fired-over-EBT-cards/-/9857858/15276636/-/3n84t/-/index.html

I can't believe they allow it to be used to buy cigarettes and even withdraw for cash at ATM's??  WTF?
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:03:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Somebody has to pay for their crack and smokes!

Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:03:30 AM EDT
[#2]
EBT should only be allowed to be used for fruits and veggies, nothing else.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:08:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/Peterborough-clerk-says-she-was-fired-over-EBT-cards/-/9857858/15276636/-/3n84t/-/index.html

I can't believe they allow it to be used to buy cigarettes and even withdraw for cash at ATM's??  WTF?

Why the hate player? Poor got to smoke too!

Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:08:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

EBT shouldn't exist.  You want your free food, you go to a government dispensary where you can pick up some government cheese.

Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:10:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Kudos to her for having integrity, but I can see why she was fired. Company wants money, and doesn't care if it comes from an EBT or an Amex Black or anything in between.

Hope she moves on to better things now.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:11:22 AM EDT
[#6]
She was probably fired because she was an idiot and was told that to get her out.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:12:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The cards typically have different funds on them- food stamps and a "cash" benefit if the recipient recieves that. The food stamps can only be used for food, the cash can be used more liberally or withdrawn. If the clerk refused to allow a customer to use their cash benefit to pay for cigarettes, the clerk screwed up. It is not his or her decision to decide what the individual should or should not purchase. If the customer wanted to use the food stamp benefit to try to buy cigarettes, the clerk did the right thing by denying the sale. (Personally, I believe that the legislative branch should outlaw any non-occupational possession or use of alcohol, tobacco by beneficiaries, or even go for an outright prohibition- BUT that's not the policy yet)
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:13:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

EBT shouldn't exist.  You want your free food, you go to a government dispensary where you can pick up some government cheese.

That would eliminate part of the reasoning behind the development of the food stamp benefits, which was to provide a sort of stimulus to food produces and vendors.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:14:45 AM EDT
[#9]
EBT "cash benefit" simply shouldn't exist - way too much potential for abuse.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:15:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

ETA:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

That would eliminate part of the reasoning behind the development of the food stamp benefits, which was to provide a sort of stimulus to food produces and vendors.

Ahh yes.  Of course.  The Government produces government cheese out of thin air, with Magic and Democrats.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:15:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hell, government funded welfare shouldn't exist.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:16:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree, it was designed to build an economic jail around ghettos to keep those people living there, forever.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:16:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The cards typically have different funds on them- food stamps and a "cash" benefit if the recipient recieves that. The food stamps can only be used for food, the cash can be used more liberally or withdrawn. If the clerk refused to allow a customer to use their cash benefit to pay for cigarettes, the clerk screwed up. It is not his or her decision to decide what the individual should or should not purchase. If the customer wanted to use the food stamp benefit to try to buy cigarettes, the clerk did the right thing by denying the sale. (Personally, I believe that the legislative branch should outlaw any non-occupational possession or use of alcohol, tobacco by beneficiaries, or even go for an outright prohibition- BUT that's not the policy yet)

WTF, why is cash being given out. This is bullshit.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:18:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Screw it.  A handout is a handout.  Might as well just give them cash.  Or better still, pay them in meth, cigs and liquor.  That way, you won't have to pay them as long.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:19:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easiest and surest way to buy votes.
Alexis de Tocqueville
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:20:07 AM EDT
[#16]
EBT should be like WIC...only certain items can be purchased with it.

Must be nice sitting on your ass doing nothing and getting free shit.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:20:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Not this again.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:20:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

From a business standpoint, you're right.

But you know what?  If more members of society told these fucksticks off, maybe we'd have less of them.  Crazy idea.

I'm reminded of one of our members who was a manager at a Home Depot where a woman asked if she could use her EBT card for a purchase.  He said, "I don't know."  She asked, "Aren't you going to try?"  He said, "Nope." and walked away.

People should be ASHAMED at having to pull out that card.  It should invoke utter disgrace upon people.
Not because accepting charity is shameful - it most certainly is not.
But because EBT is not charity.  It's is the forced redistribution of wealth by government.  I have a choice whether to contribute to a food kitchen.  I do not have a choice to pay taxes.
People who accept those benefits are thieves-by-proxy.  Fact.  They are the criminal slaves of the government, and they should be ashamed of that.

That EBT card is more of a chain and shackle than any implement of slavery ever was.  
And yet they take it voluntarily, all for the promise of someone else's money.

It's shameful is what it is, and more people should treat it that way.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:21:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the people that are buying the votes aren't using their own money.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:25:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Take a look at my post on page 2. If I want cigs I will buy them. (Don't smoke though)

EBT

Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:29:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Too many here are confusing "what should be" for "what is". Maybe there shouldn't be cash benefits, maybe there shouldn't be food benefits, but there ARE. Change it if you want to by changing the law. But in the meantime, unless you're the store owner who can make policy as to whether or not to accept EBT cards, just do your job and process the card.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:37:27 AM EDT
[#22]

Can't we just give them uncut heroin and let nature take its course?

Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:39:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

If it has to exist then I say this.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:42:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Kudos to her for having integrity, but I can see why she was fired. Company wants money, and doesn't care if it comes from an EBT or an Amex Black or anything in between.

Hope she moves on to better things now.

A Mex Black?

Dude, that's like, double racist and stuff.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 10:03:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I don't know what an EBT card is, sounds like a European credit card or something.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 10:05:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know what an EBT card is, sounds like a European credit card or something.

'
They're very popular in Greece.

Link Posted: 6/26/2012 10:06:07 AM EDT
[#27]
derp mispost

Link Posted: 6/26/2012 11:12:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

EBT = Electronic Benefits Transfer, aka WELFARE, aka tax $$$ taken directly from your paycheck by the government and given to someone else.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 11:20:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

EBT = Electronic Benefits Transfer, aka WELFARE, aka tax $$$ taken directly from your paycheck by the government and given to someone else.

EveryBody's Taxes.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 11:32:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I suspect it's that way so it can be abused. Just look at who holds sway at most Social Services offices and you will have your answer. Usually they are the "best of the best" at gameing the system.

Link Posted: 6/27/2012 9:36:32 AM EDT
[#31]
"I made the statement, ‘do you think myself, that lady and that
gentlemen should pay for your cigarettes?’ and he responded ‘yes,’

Whiton said.

And there are millions of people just like him.

Just TRY to cut their welfare. ANY part of it.

Link Posted: 6/27/2012 9:39:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Flour and rice too.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 9:40:43 AM EDT
[#33]
EBT is not the same as food stamps guys...

Link Posted: 6/27/2012 9:42:16 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

isnt that how pretty much any money paid out by the govt is collected?

Link Posted: 6/27/2012 9:43:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are some non-food stamp benefits that are considered cash that are loaded on the EBT card and are not restricted to food items and can be used to purchase any legal product from a retail who has the gear to handle an electronic transaction. Guns, ammo, brake fluid, or beer are some of the items that the cash benefit can be used to purchase.

Remember the gif with the Apache...THE RULES...you don't have to like them but God help you if you get caught breaking them.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 9:45:28 AM EDT
[#36]
I think it's like $120 a month or something for a single guy on welfare where I live in "cash assistance"

Literally free money that seems to be primarily used for drugs

Speed

Link Posted: 6/27/2012 9:46:46 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That and to keep them from rioting.

Link Posted: 6/27/2012 9:48:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 10:17:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Milk and uncooked food also
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 10:20:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:

you shouldn't be getting free shit period.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 10:30:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

EBT is essentially a welfare check. You can spend it on whatever you want. Programs like SNAP have to be used for "food," and I put food in quotes because getting you potato chips to qualify under the federal mooch guidelines is big business. But you could use the EBT to for money to pay your car payment or your rent if you want.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 10:38:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

EBT is essentially a welfare check. You can spend it on whatever you want. Programs like SNAP have to be used for "food," and I put food in quotes because getting you potato chips to qualify under the federal mooch guidelines is big business. But you could use the EBT to for money to pay your car payment or your rent if you want.

great, work your whole life, get on a fixed income, support someone else too. My wife and I have to budget our spending, not spend money on our selves inorder to pay for some one else's car, chips, rent, telephone, and what have you.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 12:15:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
EBT should be like WIC...only certain items can be purchased with it.

WIC is abused just as bad.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 12:21:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 12:30:06 PM EDT
[#45]
New Hampshire EBT point-of-sale network is busted about a quarter of the time anyway due to issues with their archaic system.

She should've just tried harder to make sure it just happened to be offline when people were buying smokes
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 12:37:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 2:35:42 PM EDT
[#47]
reparations and all that
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 2:38:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Cigarettes should not be covered in any way shape or form.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 2:39:47 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What did you think they got when they cashed their welfare checks? Now, that money is credited to their EBT card. The food stamps are put onto the same card.

One card, multiple free shit.....

Link Posted: 6/27/2012 2:40:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top