Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2012 5:43:46 PM EDT

THOUSANDS of American school pupils are to be taught that the Loch Ness monster is real – in an attempt by religious teachers to disprove Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution.

Pupils attending privately-run Christian schools in the southern state of Louisiana will learn from textbooks next year, which claim Scotland’s most famous mythological beast is a living creature.

Thousands of children are to receive publicly-funded vouchers enabling them to attend the schools – which follow a strict fundamentalist curriculum.

The Accelerated Christian Education (ACE) programme teaches controversial religious beliefs, aimed at disproving evolution and proving creationism.

One ACE textbook called Biology 1099, Accelerated Christian Education
Inc reads: "Are dinosaurs alive today? Scientists are becoming more
convinced of their existence.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/odd/loch-ness-monster-cited-by-us-schools-as-evidence-that-evolution-is-myth-1-2373903

The Endarkenment proceeds apace. And now on the backs of the tax payer. - TS

Link Posted: 6/25/2012 5:46:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
THOUSANDS of American school pupils are to be taught that the Loch Ness monster is real – in an attempt by religious teachers to disprove Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution.

Pupils attending privately-run Christian schools in the southern state of Louisiana will learn from textbooks next year, which claim Scotland’s most famous mythological beast is a living creature.

Thousands of children are to receive publicly-funded vouchers enabling them to attend the schools – which follow a strict fundamentalist curriculum.

The Accelerated Christian Education (ACE) programme teaches controversial religious beliefs, aimed at disproving evolution and proving creationism.

One ACE textbook called Biology 1099, Accelerated Christian Education Inc reads: "Are dinosaurs alive today? Scientists are becoming more convinced of their existence.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/odd/loch-ness-monster-cited-by-us-schools-as-evidence-that-evolution-is-myth-1-2373903

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Just think, you get to pay extra to have your children made dumber...
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 5:47:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I normally dont get involved in these threads, but where the fuck is the evidence that this thing exists to start.

How about a picture that is just ruled inconclusive, at least.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 5:48:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
[The Endarkenment proceeds apace. And now on the backs of the tax payer. - TS

meh.. dunno what is worse. being taught to believe in sea monsters as a basis for christian theology along with some morality by over zealous christians who feel its necessary that the bible be interpreted literally or over zealous left wing zealots who teach that all morality is situational and its wrong to attempt to discern right from wrong in other folks.

and after all it is the parents responsibility in the end to teach their kids about right and wrong, morality and sea monsters.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 5:48:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

One ACE textbook called Biology 1099, Accelerated Christian Education Inc reads: "Are dinosaurs alive today? Scientists are becoming more convinced of their existence.

And there is zero evidence this is any more widespread than it has ever been.  That article has just a teensy little bit of bias about it.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 5:52:49 PM EDT
[#5]
This creationist had never heard of using the LNM to 'prove' anything - except the gullability of people who want to believe something - before now.

If we eliminated federal control of schools, we wouldn't have to argue over this stuff, y'know.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 5:55:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Am I missing something or did the article state "private" schools?If there is no Fed money involved,why care?
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 6:00:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

church does that for free... some gray haired ghost in space fingerbangs some chick and some of us get eternal life... or dinosaurs are still walking the earth... wutz the dif?

Link Posted: 6/25/2012 6:10:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Am I missing something or did the article state "private" schools?If there is no Fed money involved,why care?

And I even included the link so you can read the whole article.

Quoted:

Thousands of children are to receive
publicly-funded vouchers enabling them to attend the schools – which
follow a strict fundamentalist curriculum.

Link Posted: 6/25/2012 6:10:52 PM EDT
[#9]
There is no such thing as a monster or dinosaur living in Loch Ness.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 6:13:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

And I even included the link so you can read the whole article.

Quoted:

Vouchers basically mean they get back SOME of their tax money to go towards the school they chose other than the one their tax money would normally have paid for.

I have -0- problem with people getting voucher money back (back is the key word...) if they're paying for the government indoctrination centers and not using them. I don't care what alternative they use, either - secular, Christian, or other.

Link Posted: 6/25/2012 6:15:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What the fuck... ignorant fuckstains

Any school with a 'strict fundamentalist' curriculum should be ineligible for any government money from the vouchers. You want to send your kid to a school like that? Go for it. Just don't use my money to do it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 6:16:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 6:20:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 6/25/2012 6:23:57 PM EDT
[#14]
That's stretching things a bit
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 6:27:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Two things:

OP title is a bit misleading. Maybe you should have put LA Christian school(s). Knowing GD, some are simply going to read your title and spread the word that all US schools are doing this.

Vouchers are funded by public money. Therefore, our taxes fund them. The thing that sucks about this is that these schools are not always accountable to the same standard and regulations that public/charter schools follow.  Also, they don't have to give any of those funds back to the district/county/state.

Vouchers are not as good as many people think...unless you are running a private school...
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 6:27:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Okay.  That is exhibit one in the quality of public schools.

Link Posted: 6/25/2012 9:04:13 PM EDT
[#17]
God made Nessie live underwater to test our faith.

Link Posted: 6/25/2012 9:13:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Japanese caught one in 1977.

Link Posted: 6/25/2012 9:20:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 9:31:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your kids will only learn what's in that curriculum if you make a specific request to attend one of the schools using it. So long as people are taxed to pay for public education, I am not troubled by the home school/ACE programs receiving tax-funded vouchers. Traditionally, people were required to pay their School Board taxes, receiving nothing in return if they elected to send their kids to private schools more in line with their own thinking and values.

Now, with the ability to choose schools for their children, people are at last being treated somewhat fairly.  In effect when they  withdraw their children from public school, they receive a tax rebate to be applied to the kids' education. You would be surprised by the academic achievements and standing of home- and religiously-schooled kids compared to public schooled students. They do quite well.The fact is that with or without Darwin, those kids will probably do better in school than students at their neighborhood schools.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 9:32:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Okay.  That is exhibit one in the quality of public private religious schools.

FIFY
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 9:33:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

church does that for free... some gray haired ghost in space fingerbangs some chick and some of us get eternal life... or dinosaurs are still walking the earth troglodytes lurk on the internet... wutz the dif?

Link Posted: 6/25/2012 9:36:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What the fuck... ignorant fuckstains

Any school with a 'strict fundamentalist' curriculum should be ineligible for any government money from the vouchers. You want to send your kid to a school like that? Go for it. Just don't use my money to do it.

It's not your money. It's mine. Yours is paying the phys ed instructor $115k/yr and enforcing zero tolerance for inappropriately-wielded chicken nuggets. Mine was partially refunded and I'm spending it on a decent education for my kids.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 9:36:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your kids will only learn what's in that curriculum if you make a specific request to attend one of the schools using it. So long as people are taxed to pay for public education, I am not troubled by the home school/ACE programs receiving tax-funded vouchers. Traditionally, people were required to pay their School Board taxes, receiving nothing in return if they elected to send their kids to private schools more in line with their own thinking and values.

Now, with the ability to choose schools for their children, people are at last being treated somewhat fairly.  In effect when they  withdraw their children from public school, they receive a tax rebate to be applied to the kids' education. You would be surprised by the academic achievements and standing of home- and religiously-schooled kids compared to public schooled students. They do quite well.The fact is that with or without Darwin, those kids will probably do better in school than students at their neighborhood.

If they are teaching that level of retardation, I'd love to see what else they have on tap.

2+2= God Did It...

Link Posted: 6/25/2012 9:55:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
<snip>

Vouchers basically mean they get back SOME of their tax money to go towards the school they chose other than the one their tax money would normally have paid for.

I have -0- problem with people getting voucher money back (back is the key word...) if they're paying for the government indoctrination centers and not using them. I don't care what alternative they use, either - secular, Christian, or other.

Where do I apply for vouchers for the taxes I've paid that aren't going to pay for my kids' education? Why should my taxes pay for your child to attend any school at all?  They're your children so it's up to you to educate them.  What school you choose is fine with me as long as I'm not paying for it.  

Link Posted: 6/25/2012 10:19:09 PM EDT
[#26]
ACE packets are "educational" materials from folks who are basically the same type of "thinkers" that bring you

and

Chick Tracts

Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:38:25 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

Where do I apply for vouchers for the taxes I've paid that aren't going to pay for my kids' education? Why should my taxes pay for your child to attend any school at all?  They're your children so it's up to you to educate them.  What school you choose is fine with me as long as I'm not paying for it.  

I wonder if I can apply for a voucher since I home school.

Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:44:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Bigfoot is the missing link, and proof of evolution.  TEACH THE CONTROVERSY!
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:47:30 AM EDT
[#29]

I love Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:50:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:51:51 AM EDT
[#31]
There is no proof either way a "dinosaur" exists in Loch Ness.

Many people do believe a monster exists despite no proof.

Heck there are people who claim a monster lives in the Congo River in central Africa as well.

Show me proof and I will believe they are still around.

Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:51:53 AM EDT
[#32]

Whale carcass (baleen whale).

This has been covered before.

Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:54:25 AM EDT
[#33]

Then again, who created them?

Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:59:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Doesn't everyone know that the Loch Ness monster is just a huge crustacean from the Paleolithic era.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:02:29 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that is not possible the liberal union teachers already excel at that

Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:03:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Says the Scientists Atheist/Evolution Priests....can't having their entire religion go up in smoke.

We never see ancient creatures still on the planet that are long thought to be extinct...

The Coelacanth is the most famous of all “living fossils” and deserves to be #1 in this list, because it is the best example of a “Lazarus taxon”, this is, animals that were supposed to be long extinct and are unexpectedly found to be alive. Coelacanths were supposed to have become extinct in the Cretaceous period, along with the dinosaurs, but in 1938, a live specimen was caught in South Africa. Since then, more specimens have been seen and photographed, and a second coelacanth species was even found in Indonesia in 1999. Coelacanths are large predators, up to 2 meters (6′ 6″) long; they feed on smaller fish, including small sharks, and are usually found in deep, dark waters. Although rarely captured and consumed due to their horrible taste, coelacanths are critically endangered nowadays.

Frilled Shark. This deep sea predator, one of the most primitive sharks alive today, is a relic from the Cretaceous period, when dinosaurs ruled the Earth. Seldom seen alive, and only recently filmed for the first time, the frilled shark can grow up to 2 meters (6′ 6″) (with females being larger than males) and they live in deep waters, where they feed mostly on squid. They are not dangerous to humans, and as a matter of fact, most frilled sharks spend their whole lives without seeing a human being. Only dead or dying specimens are usually seen and recorded by fishermen or scientists.

http://listverse.com/2010/05/14/top-10-prehistoric-fish-alive-today/
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:03:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Trying to disprove or even use science to bring people to God is pointless.  If they come to God through science, they will leave the same way.  Except they will be bitter about it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:10:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Y'all act like you believe this article.

Odd.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:15:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

I agree 100%. I've been paying for many years now for schools I'll never send a kid to. I don't like it a bit more than you do.

Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
This creationist had never heard of using the LNM to 'prove' anything - except the gullability of people who want to believe something...

Hmmmmm......
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 10:04:59 AM EDT
[#41]
I don't know why you guys get so upset when your theory is questioned. I mean you guys already believe that trillions upon trillions of accidents kept happening that made everything turn out and work so perfectly and in such great harmony our whole world happened by an accident. Geesh guys you should take a chill pill before another accident happens and the whole world sees you revolved into

Link Posted: 6/26/2012 10:33:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I think it was a basking shark, actually, given that the tissue samples were not consistent with mammals, but were consistent with sharks, more specifically, basking sharks.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 11:03:50 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I don't know why you guys get so upset when your theory is questioned. I mean you guys already believe that trillions upon trillions of accidents kept happening that made everything turn out and work so perfectly and in such great harmony our whole world happened by an accident. Geesh guys you should take a chill pill before another accident happens and the whole world sees you revolved into

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/coldair/araye50.jpg

I shouldn't be afraid of discussing science for the same reason I won't go into the monkey section of the zoo.

Link Posted: 6/26/2012 7:45:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Trips to the monkey section at the zoo make me think of

Link Posted: 6/26/2012 7:57:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

If they are teaching that level of retardation, I'd love to see what else they have on tap.

2+2= God Did It...

'So if jeesus has 5 fish and 4 slices of bread, how many sandwiches can he make?'

When you have magic and talking donkeys, you don't need mathematics, physics or the other things we call 'Reality'.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top