Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/18/2012 5:52:04 AM EDT
CAT, SOF-T, or something else? Which one do you prefer and why?

Poll inbound
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 5:56:41 AM EDT
[#1]
CAT and SWAT-T.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 5:57:56 AM EDT
[#2]
BELT
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 5:59:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Why am I carrying one again?  the cat at the local farm supply going to scratch me?

BTW.  Had my leg torn off below the knee in a motorcycle accident in 2006. A tourniquet was never applied or needed.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 6:01:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a CAT on my plate carrier.

I have a couple of SOF-Ts in my bag.

Why? Leftovers from the Guard. Thats what was handy
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 6:04:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been trained with the CAT, thankfully never had to use one. The reason I'm looking at the SOF-T is because it doesn't use velcro.

What are y'alls thoughts on the velcro not holding properly if it becomes gunked up with dirt/blood or whatever?
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 6:06:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Why am I carrying one again?  the cat at the local farm supply going to scratch me?

BTW.  Had my leg torn off below the knee in a motorcycle accident in 2006. A tourniquet was never applied or needed.

Damn.  

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 6:07:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Did you get it put back on?
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 6:07:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
BELT

Because it holds my pants up.

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 6:08:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn.  

Well I for one, am glad you made it. If for nothing else, just to tell the nastiest story on page one.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 6:08:20 AM EDT
[#10]
CAT in my patrol bag. I went to and 8 hour class on the CAT and it use very simple and it locks it in place to hold tension.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 6:08:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've been trained with the CAT, thankfully never had to use one. The reason I'm looking at the SOF-T is because it doesn't use velcro.

What are y'alls thoughts on the velcro not holding properly if it becomes gunked up with dirt/blood or whatever?

Velcro definitely does not like shit stuck in among the hooks and loops. I cringe every time I see someone with a CAT on their gear and not in a pouch.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 6:10:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

My main preference for the SOF-T isn't because of the velcro.
Its because of two issues:

1- Guys who would repeatedly use the CAT in training, and then have the windlass snap. Don't know how often this happened, but it was reported as happening when I was there in '08
2- The Chinese knock-offs of the CAT a few years back. Who knows how many made it into the system? Yeah you can look for the fakes if you know what to look for. I'd prefer to skip the brand altogether if the alternative is there. AFAIK, no knock offs of SOF-T have been reported.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 6:10:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
BELT

Or, if you're really tier-1, the tactical SHOE-LACES.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 6:11:50 AM EDT
[#14]
I carried a bunch of CATs and a few SOF-T-Ts. The CATs were for everything but ATK amputations, and the SOF-T-Ts were for if I needed to treat an ATK amputation, or if the CATs weren't up to the task.

My reasoning is that CATs are stupid simple to put on and they're quick, while the SOF-T-Ts take longer but they're a bit stronger.

Basically, get both.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 6:13:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
BELT

Or, if you're really tier-1, the tactical SHOE-LACES.  

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 6:15:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.  Looked like hamburger in a shoe, plus it was wrapped up in the grill of the car that hit me.

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 6:35:08 AM EDT
[#17]

Both fine choices.  If you can afford the weight get the SOF-T.  If not, the CAT.  

The earlier CATs had some reports of windlass issues, but that was resolved pretty quickly.  There are training issues as well- you always want to cinch it down tight before cranking, because you'll only get so many turns out of the windlass before it tears the fabric attaching it to the rest of the tourniquet.  The other is to be sure to thread through both sides of the buckle when using it on legs.  When used correctly, the CAT is very reliable.

Disclaimer- As a Glock shooter, I trust plastic.  Perhaps more than I should.

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 6:36:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.  Looked like hamburger in a shoe, plus it was wrapped up in the grill of the car that hit me.

Holy shit.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 4:23:00 AM EDT
[#19]
I carry the Z71-42pDD top of the line. It applies itself via motorized robotics.  All my friends have tourniquet  envy.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 4:25:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Where's the pole option for "none"?

I don't get the fascination with tourniquets.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 4:44:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

On the off chance that you need one, you will absolutely need one. Do you frequent a shooting range? Being around guns would, statistically speaking, increase your chance of receiving a gunshot wound. It's not a bad idea to be prepared to treat one. The tk is the last resort, of course. Consider it cheap insurance.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 4:47:17 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Both fine choices.  If you can afford the weight get the SOF-T.  If not, the CAT.  

The earlier CATs had some reports of windlass issues, but that was resolved pretty quickly.  There are training issues as well- you always want to cinch it down tight before cranking, because you'll only get so many turns out of the windlass before it tears the fabric attaching it to the rest of the tourniquet.  The other is to be sure to thread through both sides of the buckle when using it on legs.  When used correctly, the CAT is very reliable.

Disclaimer- As a Glock shooter, I trust plastic.  Perhaps more than I should.

CAT here also - had a bunch that were issued, two live in my IFAK (in truck)

I'd rather have it and not need it, fuck I have quik clot also...... really not planning on using it

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 4:48:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Tactical surgical tubing, motherfuckers.  

Yes, I'm serious.  I'll probably never need it, it's cheap, easy to use, effective, and I can afford to have a fuck ton of little pieces in all my bags for the cost of one high-speed super-whatever.

Plus, it doubles as a survival slingshot.  What now?
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 4:58:16 AM EDT
[#24]
CATs.

I have some NATO ones that were given to me in Iraq, but we couldn't ever get them to work so they are just laying in my gear box.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 4:59:24 AM EDT
[#25]
CAT

Simple to use with one hand and no thumb screw tensioner like with the SOF T.

I also have a couple of SWAT Ts that came in a patrol pocket pack that I got from Officer Survival Solutions.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 5:10:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Tactical surgical tubing, motherfuckers.  

Yes, I'm serious.  I'll probably never need it, it's cheap, easy to use, effective, and I can afford to have a fuck ton of little pieces in all my bags for the cost of one high-speed super-whatever.

Plus, it doubles as a survival slingshot.  What now?

I question the effectiveness.  Veins are a lot easier to occlude than arteries. The "tourniquet" they use in the doctor's office isn't a tourniquet at all, it's a "constricting band" whose job is to allow blood into your arm but to not let it out, which makes the veins stand up for venipuncture.

Try this- apply the tubing as tightly as you can to your upper arm, and then try to find a pulse in your wrist.  If you still have pulse, then the surgical tubing is acting like a constricting band and will make bleeding worse, not better.

I promise you it won't work AT ALL on legs.

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 5:12:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

On the off chance that you need one, you will absolutely need one. Do you frequent a shooting range? Being around guns would, statistically speaking, increase your chance of receiving a gunshot wound. It's not a bad idea to be prepared to treat one. The tk is the last resort, of course. Consider it cheap insurance.

Sure, we're all shooters here. But I still doubt the utility of them. I've never had to use one or seen one used.

We carry CATs at my company.

About three hours ago I took a guy to the hospital who had four more .45 caliber holes in him than he started the evening with, two of them in his arm. I didn't use or need a tourniquet. That's the norm.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 5:13:55 AM EDT
[#28]
My belt
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 5:21:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Part of the reason CATs became standard issue to the military was the high number of people who died in Iraq from exsanguination following extremity wounds, in many cases while another service member was trying to fashion an improvised tourniquet.  There was actually quite a bit of testing that showed that often it took longer to make an improvised tourniquet than it took for a traumatic amputation wound to bleed out.  

Big Army at that point adopted the SOCOM and Marine Corps/Navy model of using them.  This model was based on research done by the IDF in the 80s and 90s and codified in Tactical Trauma Care
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 5:21:41 AM EDT
[#30]
sturdy leather belt.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 5:22:36 AM EDT
[#31]
SOF-T Wide because that's what I was trained to use.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 5:25:12 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure, we're all shooters here. But I still doubt the utility of them. I've never had to use one or seen one used.

About three hours ago I took a guy to the hospital who had four more .45 caliber holes in him than he started the evening with, two of them in his arm. I didn't use or need a tourniquet. That's the norm.

Just wait until someone catches a round in a major vessel. Arterial bleeding can't be stopped with direct pressure. Sure you can stop the bleeding on the outside, but it will continue to bleed inside........Compartment syndrome is no fun.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 5:26:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
sturdy leather belt.

What do you use as a windless?
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 5:27:02 AM EDT
[#34]
I carry a CAT in my range med kit, along with Quik-Clot. But then I carry a lot of things that others might not.

I have a long laundry list of medical problems now, not going into them all again.
Long story short - a normal person would clot on their own with wounds that would bleed me out in short order.

I have a laminated sheet in my bag that explains this, and other important information, for anyone who needs use it to treat me (assuming I'm incapacitated).

YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 5:30:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
sturdy leather belt.

Zebra F-701
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 5:33:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Don't know how to use one.

Apply direct pressure and plug the leak till someone with the proper training is available.

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 5:35:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 5:37:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
sturdy leather belt.

Zebra F-701

Does it work well?  The wider and stiffer the belt/band the longer the lever you need to apply the pressure.  

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 5:40:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I have a CAT on my plate carrier.

I have a couple of SOF-Ts in my bag.

Why? Leftovers from the Guard. Thats what was handy

This, exactly. Brought home a whole crap ton of them from Afghanistan, it's good to be the medic's friend.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 5:45:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
sturdy leather belt.

Zebra F-701

You're joking, right?

mostly. The chance of me having to stop severe bleeding with the use of a tourniquet is quite remote so its something i don't regularly have.  but in the absolutely minute chance that i ever did encounter this, I could probably at least slow the bleeding before they got the person to the ER that is 200 yards away from where I spend half my day.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 5:49:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I bet you had one during surgery.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 5:49:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How can you doubt the utility?  They stop massive blood loss, I know several of our guys lives were saved due to having a tourniquets applied properly and in a timely fashion.

ETA:  I carry a CAT and quick clot in my range bag and in my car.  I might never need it, but if I do I have it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 5:50:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Tape it down after application. If you go with the SOFT get the new version.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 5:54:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My main preference for the SOF-T isn't because of the velcro.
Its because of two issues:

1- Guys who would repeatedly use the CAT in training, and then have the windlass snap. Don't know how often this happened, but it was reported as happening when I was there in '08
2- The Chinese knock-offs of the CAT a few years back. Who knows how many made it into the system? Yeah you can look for the fakes if you know what to look for. I'd prefer to skip the brand altogether if the alternative is there. AFAIK, no knock offs of SOF-T have been reported.

The windlass has been upgraded since then and I've never seen a knock off CAT from the supply system.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 5:54:47 AM EDT
[#45]
I wear a belt
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 5:54:52 AM EDT
[#46]
I've got a couple of SOF-Ts.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 5:58:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Day to day? Nothing. Took care of a guy the other day who saved his own life by adopting his belt.

I emergently applied a blood pressure cuff & lots of tape to tqt an arm avulsion. Direct pressure didn't do the job.

Most of my stocked kits have CATs, with a couple TK4s where space is limited.

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 6:16:45 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just wait until someone catches a round in a major vessel. Arterial bleeding can't be stopped with direct pressure. Sure you can stop the bleeding on the outside, but it will continue to bleed inside........Compartment syndrome is no fun.

I understand that. But I'd liken it to taking a parachute on a commercial airline flight. Sure, when you need it you REALLY need it, but the chances are so slim that one wouldn't do it.

Don't get me wrong. More training and more equipment is always a good thing. Maybe one day my life will be saved by someone posting in this thread. I'll be eating crow.

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 6:25:14 AM EDT
[#49]
CAT. I was trained on them and have used them, so I am familiar with it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 6:55:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Multiple CAT's

And a blow torch for real heavy bleeders

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top