Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2012 5:41:46 PM EDT
If you don't eat salmon, substitute your favorite canned fish.

Anyway, I love to open a can of canned salmon, remove the spinal column and whatever rib bones I can, add egg, just enough cornmeal to make things stick together, some garlic salt and onion powder (a concession for the wife, I hate chunks of onion, she loves the taste, so we use powder) and form this mixture into patties. Then fry it and soak it in any sort of hot sauce and cover it in cheese then enjoy.

I've been doing this since I was a kid and my grandma would make those patties for me and my grandpa for breakfast.

On to the point of the thread:

When you open the can, there are bones in the fish. They don't pick 'em out at the cannery. So what do you do with them? Poll coming.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 5:43:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Eat them.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 5:44:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Eat them.

Yep
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 5:44:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Eat
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 5:44:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep, I eat them. Tasty tasty salmon spines
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 5:53:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Eat them!

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 5:57:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Hi Splint!
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 5:58:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I clean it up fairly well . .    THe dog dog loves the stuff . I take most of the skin off as well .
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I eat the canned Salmon after picking out the larger crunchy bones.  Drain it and consume at room temp with a fork.

Also, this has to be the most technically correct poll I've ever seen!  Most fail at making a poll in some way, but you, sir, are the expert!
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 6:01:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Eat them.

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 6:02:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I am not a fan and will remove them if found before being crunched.  My wife loves them.

Wes
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 6:03:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I grind their bones to make my bread.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 6:04:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Canned fish.

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 6:06:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Eat them, Salmon is yummy, smoked Salmon is the best.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 6:06:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I lay the bones out on the table and then trace the outline of the bones with a toothpick dipped in mayo. Create my very own miniature CSI crime scene....

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 6:08:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Eat them.

Salmon cakes are comfort food in our family, we all loved how our mom made them––a can of salmon (bones and all), drain and reserve the juice.  One egg, crush up some saltines (like breadcrumbs or the cornmeal), salt, pepper, some minced onion and maybe 1/3-1/2 the juice.  Form patties and fry 'til golden brown and delicious.  Then make milk/cream gravy with the crunchies in the pan (maybe even sacrifice one patty chopped up), and add the rest of the juice to the gravy.  Mmmmmmmm good.  

It's also good right out of the can with saltine crackers.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 6:08:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Have a small can of pink salmon most every day for lunch. Eat it guts, feathers, and all
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 6:11:39 PM EDT
[#17]
What is this "canned Salmon" you speak of?

Can't everyone go into their backyards and pluck the salmon out of an icy clear river and place it onto the grill?

You kids sicken me

Oh yeah, I live in Alaska where we can do that
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 6:13:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't eat fish, never had a taste for it so this is new to me.  I've seen cans of tuna opened, and it appeared to be a gray mush with no bones, but they can salmon and leave the bones in it?  
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 6:17:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Darling, you didn't use canned salmon did you?

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 6:19:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Hi Splint!

Hi Dru!

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 6:19:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I pick the bones out till i get over it. Then egg, crackers,salt,pepper, fine chopped onions and sometimes red peppers.

Love me some salmon patties.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 6:22:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Eat them.

Salmon cakes are comfort food in our family, we all loved how our mom made them––a can of salmon (bones and all), drain and reserve the juice.  One egg, crush up some saltines (like breadcrumbs or the cornmeal), salt, pepper, some minced onion and maybe 1/3-1/2 the juice.  Form patties and fry 'til golden brown and delicious.  Then make milk/cream gravy with the crunchies in the pan (maybe even sacrifice one patty chopped up), and add the rest of the juice to the gravy.  Mmmmmmmm good.  

Good stuff. I made a batch a few days ago.

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 6:22:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Canned salmon is awesome.  

The bones are so soft from cooking that they're no trouble at all.   Just eat 'em.  They're a good source of calcium.

However, since I make kidney stones easily, I pick the bones out because the last thing a kidney stone maker needs is supplementary calcium!

CJ

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Cutting your finger on the lid is way worse than picking the bones out of canned salmon.

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 6:26:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Can't everyone go into their backyards and pluck the salmon out of an icy clear river and place it onto the grill?

You kids sicken me

Yea, well, we have summer.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 6:35:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You kids sicken me

What does he eat when the river is frozen 8 months every year ?
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Sardine bones are ccoked down real nice...I eat em too.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 6:50:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I lay the bones out on the table and then trace the outline of the bones with a toothpick dipped in mayo. Create my very own miniature CSI crime scene....  

I am going to have to give this a try once.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 6:52:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You kids sicken me

What does he eat when the river is frozen 8 months every year ?

Orphans and the dreams of small children

Nobody ever asks Santa what he does with the really naughty children. Us elves have to eat ya I know
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top