Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2012 6:44:12 PM EDT
I am new to smoking meats. How long does the meaty take the smoke, after that it is all about the heat right?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 6:46:51 PM EDT
[#1]
In theory, it never stops. Practically speaking, 3 hours or so.

The surface gets loaded up with nitrates but they can't diffuse into the meat before the meat is finished cooking; also, as you cook the meat is drying out which impairs the movement of the nitrates.

eta: the above is a guess.

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 6:59:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you talking a brisket or ribs you want to eat tomorrow, or a ham you want to store for several months?  I know next to nothing about either, but the smoking times are much longer for something like a ham.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:00:28 PM EDT
[#3]

duh.... 87 days    
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:05:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends on heat and he meat. I run meats at about 180 to 200 degrees for a stupid amount of time.cook low and slow, pour the wood chips to it, wait till the meat reaches temp (180 is generally safe).  I have spent 14 hours on a pork loin, 24 on a whole hog.  Hit it every now and then with a cider/vinegar mix to keep moist.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:07:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I have never been successful at smoking any cut of meat.

Can't keep it lit.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:16:18 PM EDT
[#6]
From what I've learned watching the food network; meat stops taking smoke when it hits 165*.  That's not when the meat is done cooking; just when the smoke stops being absorbed.

Depending on the cut, I've heard some going for as long as 18 hours at 225*
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:21:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I would agree with at least 3 hours. But be careful, you only need a little smoke in your smoker. To much smoke is not going to speed up the process, just make the meat foul tasting. Check out www.smokingmeat.forums.com
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:21:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Wifey can get it done in under 2 mins.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:27:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I think meat takes most of the smoke it's going to in the hour or so it takes the chips to burn off. However, the more chips, the more smoke.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:50:37 PM EDT
[#10]
6 hours for my 12lb turkey today
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:55:54 PM EDT
[#11]
All depends on heat as several others have stated. Keep temps low and you can smoke your meat for days!

Salmon is best if you can smoke it for 7 or 8 hours without high temps, pork and birds you want to smoke for a couple of hours and then get it cooked so you can eat it reasonably soon. Beef you need to do a little longer as it gets done at much lower temps, 135 is medium rare for say prime rib.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top