Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2012 9:17:34 AM EDT

So I've cooked on cast iron my entire life.  My mother had an antique shop so I've had a lot of experience with Griswold and Wagner and various other brands of older CI.  They mostly have a glass like non-stick surface.  I realize that they've probably been used a lot but I cannot imagine that lodge will be able to achieve a similar surface without sanding and reseasoning.

Why the FUCK does Lodge cast iron come with an almost sandpaper like internal surface texture.  Is there a reason for this that I'm missing?
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 9:21:51 AM EDT
[#1]
They actually surfaced the old stuff.  Now they just leave it as cast.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 9:22:29 AM EDT
[#2]
It will wear in
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 9:23:59 AM EDT
[#3]
get you some 3M surface conditioning pads and an air grinder and smooth that puppy down.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 9:27:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Because the older GOOD cast iron like Griswold and Wagner were made thinner and smoother.

Definitely more detail was made when making them vs the Lodge line.

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 9:34:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got a cast iron wok that's unusable because it's so rough. Food sticks to it like crazy.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 9:36:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Because the older GOOD cast iron like Griswold and Wagner were made thinner and smoother.

http://bonanzleimages.s3.amazonaws.com/afu/images/0963/6481/vintage_seasoned_Griswold__8_skillet.JPG

Lodge pretty much sucks.  I'm just curious why nobody else seems interested in competing with them.

There does seem to be a demand for quality CI.  Hell, if I went to the store today and saw some new brand of CI that was smooth as glass and cost 10 bucks more than the Lodge CI.....I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 9:49:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got about 12 pieces of Griswold I've accumulated over the years and on Egay, you can't beat the older cast iron.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 9:50:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://bonanzleimages.s3.amazonaws.com/afu/images/0963/6481/vintage_seasoned_Griswold__8_skillet.JPG

Lodge pretty much sucks.  I'm just curious why nobody else seems interested in competing with them.

There does seem to be a demand for quality CI.  Hell, if I went to the store today and saw some new brand of CI that was smooth as glass and cost 10 bucks more than the Lodge CI.....I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Good question. That gives me a great idea..

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 9:53:31 AM EDT
[#9]
My newest cast iron pan is about 75 years old...? I don't seem to have your problem op...

If you buy a lodge it needs to be finished or your life will suck trying to use it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 9:55:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
http://www.seriouseats.com/strong/20100608-cast-iron-fresh.jpg
So I've cooked on cast iron my entire life.  My mother had an antique shop so I've had a lot of experience with Griswold and Wagner and various other brands of older CI.  They mostly have a glass like non-stick surface.  I realize that they've probably been used a lot but I cannot imagine that lodge will be able to achieve a similar surface without sanding and reseasoning.

Why the FUCK does Lodge cast iron come with an almost sandpaper like internal surface texture.  Is there a reason for this that I'm missing?

Gimme a break. I have a Lodge 12 inch skillet that looked just like that. Season it right and it will work. The Lodge item is not the problem. I will help you if you want me too.
Jim
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 9:58:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gimme a break. I have a Lodge 12 inch skillet that looked just like that. Season it right and it will work. The Lodge item is not the problem. I will help you if you want me too.

Jim

I'd be interested in your info.  I have 2 lodge skillets I use for bacon and steaks, but after seasoning and trying to do it the proper way, they still accumulate a lot of grit/chunks and I can't seem to make then not stick to food :(

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 10:08:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Jim

I'd be interested in your info.  I have 2 lodge skillets I use for bacon and steaks, but after seasoning and trying to do it the proper way, they still accumulate a lot of grit/chunks and I can't seem to make then not stick to food :(  

II had the same problem until I started cleaning them with kosher salt. It only took two rounds of cooking something (onions and peppers etc.) and then scrubbing it with the salt, re-oiling and storing, and after that it has been wonderful for frying eggs or just about anything.

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 10:11:39 AM EDT
[#13]
I just took a random orbit sander to 2 modern lodge pans this morning. They're cooling in the oven from reseasoning right now.

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 10:11:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I sanded mine down & it helped a lot. The rough texture made everything stick & taking down the high spots really made it slickeryer (Technical term) after re-seasoning.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 10:14:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jim

This... If its sticking, it's not seasoned right

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 10:25:00 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a lodge that's exactly as old as Subnets cast iron eggs thread.  

I cooked burgers for lunch on it 30 mins ago with no additional grease on a dry pan.  They didn't stick at all . Granted, I've cooked on it at least daily since I bought it, and it's well seasoned.  Eggs don't stick to the bottom (I get a little bit of stick on the sides though)
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 10:35:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lodge pretty much sucks. I'm just curious why nobody else seems interested in competing with them.

I don't get the impression there's a lot of profit margin in melting down scrap iron to make frying pans.  

When you look at the price of antique/restored cast iron the prices are usually lower or comparable to the new stuff.  Lodge almost certainly makes it's money on volume and that means they have to cut corners somewhere.  You don't get better finishing or performance and both old and new casts will likely outlive multiple owners so the "quality of the iron" is really moot.  Why anyone would buy new is beyond me.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 10:48:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Jim

Start new, like this. Build a big fire outside. Set your skillet in the fire and leave it until the fire dies (overnight). This will remove all old seasoning,food particles etc.. Scrub the skillet with kosher salt. Rinse with cool water and dry. Heat oven to 350, rub veggy oil on skillet. The first seaoning dont be shy and wipe all the oil out. leave it pretty wet. Cook it for one hour. let it cool. Se if it is coated like you want it to be. If not, lightly coat with oil and re-cook it.
It should get black and slick. The seasoning will fill the rough depressions and make it non stick. Clean with kosher salt and rinse with water. Wipe out with a cloth, NOT paper towels until you are sure its seasoned right.
Jim
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 11:10:06 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jim

Start new, like this. Build a big fire outside. Set your skillet in the fire and leave it until the fire dies (overnight). This will remove all old seasoning,food particles etc.. Scrub the skillet with kosher salt. Rinse with cool water and dry. Heat oven to 350, rub veggy oil on skillet. The first seaoning dont be shy and wipe all the oil out. leave it pretty wet. Cook it for one hour. let it cool. Se if it is coated like you want it to be. If not, lightly coat with oil and re-cook it.

It should get black and slick. The seasoning will fill the rough depressions and make it non stick. Clean with kosher salt and rinse with water. Wipe out with a cloth, NOT paper towels until you are sure its seasoned right.

Jim

I have been using the salt method as mentioned by a poster above, but it still doesn't seem to get all the chucks out and I still have some remaining black crud.  I would imagine this is due to a lack of seasoning.

Is there any other method that can be substituted for overnight fire?  I have tried the oven method with oil in an attempt to reseason, but food/eggs/etc are still sticking to the pan.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 11:16:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Laramie, I dont think any oven gets hot enough. You gotta burn it hot for a long time.

Jim
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 5:42:08 PM EDT
[#21]
OP, are you letting your pan get hot before you put the food in?  I usually never cook above med-med/high, and I let the pan heat while I chop & prep my goodies.  If you flick a few drops of water into the pan, they should pop and skitter; not sit and sizzle.  When I would put the food in too early, it would always stick.

I always let mine cool slightly before rinsing the gunk out.  Also, I like canola oil.  It seems to have a higher burn temp, and gives a real good season.  

For seasoning, I like to spray/coat the pan with canola oil, and toss it in the oven at 425 for a couple of hours.  Oh, when you're done cleaning, always dry the the pan by letting it rest on the still warm eye, and then a light coat of canola till next time.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 5:46:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Cooking with a machined surface cast iron pan is such a better experience than with Lodge crap.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 6:29:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The market on old ass Griswolds on eBay is brisk.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Griswold-Skillet-12-Large-Block-Logo-With-Heat-Smoke-Ring-Cast-Iron-719-EPU-/150828968787?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231e1b6b53#ht_746wt_922

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 6:41:23 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't recommend buying new cast iron because you can get a much better item from e-bay/antique shops/auctions for the same price or cheaper.

With that said, they still will work just fine if properly seasoned.  Lodge used to finish their skillets but I suppose it's more economical to just leave them as they come out.  If it really did cause an issue with sticking, I don't think they would just let it go.

My last really nice score, I found an online estate sale and got 7 or 8 ERIE Griswolds for a really nice price.    I sold one to another collector and it paid for most of the others.

I've had to slow waaaaay down on my buying because I've completely run out of space for the time being.  I think I have 30 skillets or so some waffle irons, griddles and other misc stuff.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 6:42:09 PM EDT
[#25]
My cheap Lodge skillet was like that when it was new.  I just seasoned it and cooked on it for a couple months and now it's fine.  I was just too lazy to take a grinder to it.  

When I get a bunch of crap in it, I put it on the stove top on medium heat and fill it with enough water to cover the bottom.  When it gets hot enough that it's about to boil, I pour out the water and then wipe it out with a paper towel.  That gets all the crud out and then I put it back on the burner to dry.  When it's dry I put a half dollar sized puddle of peanut oil in it, wipe it around, and let it get hot.  Then it's ready for the next use.  The surface is slick and eggs don't stick.  

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 6:50:09 PM EDT
[#26]
its basically pay out the ass for the good stuff, buy american lodge in a little less quality, or buy chinese shit that is everywhere.....

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 6:53:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Yeah it just takes a bit longer to build up the carbon layer to cover the high spots on the newer stuff.

My current SO almost left me when I caught her using soap and water to scub my great grandmothers old cast iron fry pan It was a hell of a rant.   lol  She still tells the story
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 7:05:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yeah it just takes a bit longer to build up the carbon layer to cover the high spots on the newer stuff.

My current SO almost left me when I caught her using soap and water to scub my great grandmothers old cast iron fry pan It was a hell of a rant.   lol  She still tells the story

I think you mean that you almost kicked her to the curb
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 7:31:44 PM EDT
[#30]
I have three Lodge pans and they don't stick excessively.

You people are just doing it wrong.

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 7:32:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Chinese stuff does not have pure iron. Its contaminated. That is why you can see cracks,a voids already in their vises, axes, hammers, and other tools. I returned a large vice to Home Depot years back because when I looked into the underside of it I saw a huge crack in it. When I took it back the Manager noticed something funny and scraped off the paint to find that the crack was filled with Bondo. We checked out the floor demo and two more in boxes and found them to have the same defect. He had them all removed from the floor and stockroom and sent  back to the H D warehouse. He then gave me a great deal on a Ridgid brand vise.

It is the same way with cast iron pans knock offs. Had one crack on an electric burner.

I have been buying old cast iron pots and pans. I also found some Korean and Japanese pans that were great. I have a shit load of pans now at the camp. I am now buying old cast iron bakeware. As soon as I am done with fixing up my old Atlantic Model 40 and take it to the camp. I will hang all my pans on the wall after I remodel the kitchen.

I'm getting rid of the old  40's Kelvinator fridge and GE electric stove. Both I will sell on Craigs List since their is a demand for them.
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 7:47:11 PM EDT
[#32]
You can sand it down and resurface it, that helps. Or you can take a day re-season it with the right oil and it it will perform close to teflon. I have some lodge pans and the first thing I did was put it in the oven for an hour at the self cleaning cycle. It comes out nasty looking because you burnt the old season off and it will flash rust almost immediately. Take a good grade of Flax seed oil from a health food store and apply very liberally to the whole surface. Wipe off as much as you possibly can and heat in the oven at 400D for an hour or so and let it cool completely. Repeat this 6-8 times and the result will be a surface smooth as glass and non stick. This season work well enough I can wash it in the sink with Dawn and it retains the surface (although you shouldn't need to, as rinsing it with water should do well). It won't work that well with veggie, bacon, or lard grease. The salt trick above is an awesome tip as well. As long as I have access to Flax seed oil, I will never use or have ever seen anything that comes close if you take the time to do it right.
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 8:05:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jim

Yeah, I just picked up a 12" Lodge from Bass Pro two months back, that looks like the OP's.  Seasoned it with flax seed oil per Bon Apetite's resident expert and it works fine.

I mostly do scrambled eggs and bacon in it, but its non-stick properties are pretty reasonable.  I've probably only used it 6-8 times, so not much, but I'm happy with it so far.

Chris

Link Posted: 6/10/2012 8:07:19 PM EDT
[#34]
There's always the enameled cast iron stuff.  But Lodge's is made in China.
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 8:07:29 PM EDT
[#35]
I tried all the tricks on my Lodge. Nothing worked.

After having nothing to lose, I sanded it smooth and re-seasoned it.

I love that skillet now. It works great.

Cast iron and rough cast surfaces are bad juju.

YMMV
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 9:17:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
There's always the enameled cast iron stuff.  But Lodge's is made in China.

only the enameled stuff is made in China which is why i dont own any of it. there normal CI is made right here in the good ole US of A with iron form scrap and pig iron from South America. my 12" lodge pan and square flat iron are both 100% non stick because i took the time to season it right. i use my grill and get it as hot as i can let the pans get warm(not hot it helps getting the crisco in all the nooks and crannies) and cover them with crisco. then put them back in the grill for at least an hour then just shut the grill off and let it cool. once its cool i wipe off any extra shortening and store in the oven. this(not in the grill) was how my mom, grandmother, great grandmother and so on did it. it works so why screw with it?
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 9:33:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It will wear in

I agree.

OP , I have a couple of Griswolds & Wagners and thought the same, initially. Give the Lodge some time to wear in ( fill the sandpaper finish in with carbon through use) and it will work pretty well. In fact for over easy eggs, I now preferr my Lodge due to its convex shape.
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 9:48:15 PM EDT
[#38]
My best cast iron has been in the family for at least 3 generations.  It has a finish like glass.  I have a pretty good one that I bought at a flea market.  The new stuff is garbage unless you refinish it I guess.
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 10:51:12 PM EDT
[#39]
This thread makes me sad. Now i'm off to buy 3000 metal spatulas so i can wear in my lodge pan by the year 2187.

A $15 lodge isn't nonstick like grannys and never will be.  When granny got that pan it was a half week or more pay. Would you buy a $200-1000 cast iron pan with a nice machined finish? How about a nice stamped or rolled pan that nothing sticks to for $50?

So anyway here is what you do.
1.Cook 1 pound or more of sausage.
2. Cook one pound or more of bacon.
3. Start deepfrying eggs and enjoy the non stick quality you paid for.
????
Find shit paper stat!!!

Why didn't they "cast" it smooth?

Maybe next time you will pay 4 times as much and buy an american assembled/machined vise that was cast in some other country.
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 11:27:24 PM EDT
[#40]
The new lodge will work fine you just need to do a few things to help it get going. It is never going to be as slick as grandma's old pan that has been cooked in for 100+ years.

Step 1: season it properly....several posters here have outlined the tiem and effort you need to expend. Do not rush the process it is worth a little effort.
Step 2: Unless you use your new skillet to blacken salmon, etc... on your grill with oil and on really high heat after carefuly seasoning it then please ...Do not turn your stove up so damn high....cast iron is perfect for cooking because it conducts heat so well.
Step 3: Wipe it out while warm rub the residue out with kosher salt
Step 4: Store it after oiling and if it is a dutch oven or something with a lid put a folded up paper towel in between the lid and the pot so air can get in.

I have a very large and very old cast iron skillet that is not lodge, a old lodge "grandma" skillet and multiple other skillets, dutch ovens, cornbread pans, fish skillets, etc... of the new lodge. They all work but of course the older, well used and well tended pieces work the best.  

I have several pieces from a lodge outlet in my area that were sold at 30-50% off because they have surface imperfections. They all work well if they are seasoned properly and cared for correctly.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top