User Panel

Page / 10
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 8:16:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been meaning to mention that my favorite scene of the film was the simplest and most subtle- holo-Weyland says something about David being a robot and not having a son, there's a closeup of David's face for his "reaction", and I swear you could see the light die in his eyes despite Fassbender being absolutely motionless.  Not a twitch nor tremble, not a muscle moved.  I don't even know how he did that.  

YES!

I caught that. He's a hell of an actor.

When I saw this, I thought I was floating above my own body watching myself watch the movie.
I saw that, too.  I almost thought I imagined it or something.

Link Posted: 6/22/2012 4:17:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw this movie in Imax now and I've got to say that it was awesome in regards to CGI was beyond spectacular. The story had so much potential, it left me disappointed. I have not read all of this thread yet, but I have to say I agree with many on here that the director dropped the ball on this one.
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 4:19:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The engineers were running from an outbreak of the black goo or some version of it that got out of control. The pile of dead engineers were killed in various ways, heads, bodies exploded. This is just what happened to the head that they brought back to Prometheus. Once they started messing with it they re-animated the goo that had been dormant in the head for the previous 2000 or so years and it blew up, which is the same thing that happened to the other engineers.

Ah, so that guy running from the deadly black goo is trying to get INTO the room filled with dozens of vases of the black goo?

Umm, ok.

Maybe they were doing damage control/ spill containment.

i'm not sure they were running into the room.  there were a pile of bodies just past the door that they said it looked like things had exploded out of them

Link Posted: 6/23/2012 2:09:39 PM EDT
[#4]
The only thing it explained about the "space jockey" was thatit was
humanoid... that the elephant face is just a space mask. For the longest
time I thought the face was a fossilized facehugger.

Check out these pictures.
I can't tell if it's a spacesuit the engineer is wearing or if his body
has been changed. It's looks pretty integrated and has the Giger
biomech look that the Alien takes on.

Also... a good shot of his back... totally the Giger design. Here's a pic of a deleted scene from the beginning
with more than one engineer. I kind of felt like him drinking the black
goo was some sort of ritual sacrifice that would seed the planet... but
which planet was that? I thought the engineers looked more like
"protohumans"... not quite defined... all puffy and plane looking.
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh yeah,  Where did the worm thing that the dude with the glasses deep throated come from?  The gray goo?
yeah my impression was that it was an early face hugger without the claws like the ones in alien

I kind of thought the thing she cut out of her gut was a
no-so-streamlined face hugger... more like a face, neck, torso, and leg
humper. It fucked the engineers face and an alien came out of him. That
to me says facehugger. The snake that tube the biologist was probably
just a different alien... that dude didn't birth an alien, it just made
him superhuman and crazy.
Quoted:

Quoted:

I wonder what David actually said to the blue, baby-faced giant

It obviously pissed him off

Loosely translated: "Chili is supposed to have beans in it."

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Nice.
The language was based on a "thesis"... maybe he got it wrong. Dialect
and tone can easily change a friendly conversation to "my other ride is
your mom".

Just got done seeing it, so now I can read this thread...
Quoted:

SPOILERS AND NSFW

http://youtu.be/-x1YuvUQFJ0

Well, when you put it like that I guess it was kind of stupid and not well thought out...
All good questions. About the only one I feel like I can answer is that
the "engineers" that were on that planet didn't create us... another
alien race (the one flying the giant saucer in the beginning of the
movie that flew away) created us and the engineers and plopped us on the
planets that we could survive on.
The "engineers" DNA was a match to ours... how does that mean they created us. If anything it means we're the same or related.
I don't want to ruin the effect of the movie by digesting it and shitting out nothing but plot holes... but it's hard not to.
1.) You're on a distant planet... a trip that cost trillions. You have
17 people... apparently none of them have any degree of training of
preparation in the idea of foreign contaminants, contracting airborne
disease, etc... because they're all so quick to take and leave off their
helmets through the majority of the exploration. Even after finding
dead aliens laying all over the place the concept doesn't quite grab
hold of them.

2.) Touch everything. Why not? Stick your hands in the goo. Play with
the snake thing... even after it opens it's hood like a fucking cobra,
it's still cute and beautiful.

3.) Don't monitor the people you leave behind (unless you're getting a
piece of ass from Charlize Theron. Sorry guys... I"ll burn anyone alive
to do her). You have guys that got lost in a place they have a 3D
generated map of... and have to spend the night. Don't worry, I'm sure
they'll be fine. Why would you need to take the big armored truck back
to try to get them out... it's only raining glass and rocks.

4.) How is it the tech is always better in prequels? The robot could watch people's dreams?

5.) Androids are fucking evil. Bishop and Call seemed to follow the
android laws. David clearly didn't if he's letting a person drink an
unknown foreign substance that he roofied him with.

Yeah character development sucked. Thinking Ridley Scott is losing it in his age... and he probably directs like a spoiled child without taking any input from anyone around him unless it's from the people with the money.

Link Posted: 6/24/2012 10:43:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Half the fucking movie I spent wondering when they were going to explain all the little bullshit they kept revealing sort of.  And then it ended.  Glad I didn't pay to see it.

Basically, all the questions people have been asking since the original came out in 1979 they skirted around in hopes you would spend money and go away disappointed.

It added nothing to the story except that humans discovered this shit before Alien.

Problem is that it also doesnt really work with the timeline of Aliens Vs Predator and it's follow-ups.   The "Classic" Geiger Aliens didnt appear in this movie except for the sort-of at the end, yet timeline-wise this movie occured 90 years AFTER the events of AVP, which also showed the Predators had put the Queen Alien here  a couple of dozen Milennia before the Current era.... As an Action movie?  it wasnt bad, as a precursor for Alien??  Meh.. there's just too much of a divorce between how things ended up in prometheus, and how things started in "Alien"

Dont get me wrong, I enjoyed the Movie, I was just dissapointed in how it tied into the existing storyline.  Oh and IMAX 3D is the Tits!!!!  

Actually, if you think about it, according to the scientists drawings from just about every ancient civilization had pictograms showing that they knew of the aliens.

Who is to say that more Aliens hadn't been created in a similar fashion before?
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 10:49:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Half the fucking movie I spent wondering when they were going to explain all the little bullshit they kept revealing sort of.  And then it ended.  Glad I didn't pay to see it.

Basically, all the questions people have been asking since the original came out in 1979 they skirted around in hopes you would spend money and go away disappointed.

It added nothing to the story except that humans discovered this shit before Alien.

Problem is that it also doesnt really work with the timeline of Aliens Vs Predator and it's follow-ups.   The "Classic" Geiger Aliens didnt appear in this movie except for the sort-of at the end, yet timeline-wise this movie occured 90 years AFTER the events of AVP, which also showed the Predators had put the Queen Alien here  a couple of dozen Milennia before the Current era.... As an Action movie?  it wasnt bad, as a precursor for Alien??  Meh.. there's just too much of a divorce between how things ended up in prometheus, and how things started in "Alien"

Dont get me wrong, I enjoyed the Movie, I was just dissapointed in how it tied into the existing storyline.  Oh and IMAX 3D is the Tits!!!!  

i doubt Scott considers AvP to be a legitimate part of the Alien universe...i know most fans dont

Link Posted: 6/25/2012 3:49:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Is Charles Bishop Weyland (AvP) the grandfather of Peter Weyland (Prometheus)?

I think what really ruins the franchise is the patch working and retconning of the timeline.

I almost wish Prometheus was the prequel/re-boot of the series and he would continue to make them starting from this point.

The whole Alien universe is so confusing now and I kind of feel like the director just ignores previous movies figuring viewers are either too stupid to see the gaps and inconsistencies or they are just so self absorbed tht they don't care even after people point it out to them.

The problem with prequels is obvious at face value... The movie is done years after its predecessor where major advancements have been made in visual effects technology. Look at Star Wars. Awesome effect. Awesome fight choreography. Then you watch the movies that follow it and you're asking "what the hell happened to Darth. He unused to be a badass. Now he just stands and swings."

Link Posted: 6/25/2012 5:02:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Is Charles Bishop Weyland (AvP) the grandfather of Peter Weyland (Prometheus)?

I think what really ruins the franchise is the patch working and retconning of the timeline.

I almost wish Prometheus was the prequel/re-boot of the series and he would continue to make them starting from this point.

The whole Alien universe is so confusing now and I kind of feel like the director just ignores previous movies figuring viewers are either too stupid to see the gaps and inconsistencies or they are just so self absorbed tht they don't care even after people point it out to them.

The problem with prequels is obvious at face value... The movie is done years after its predecessor where major advancements have been made in visual effects technology. Look at Star Wars. Awesome effect. Awesome fight choreography. Then you watch the movies that follow it and you're asking "what the hell happened to Darth. He unused to be a badass. Now he just stands and swings."

Going off the top of my head, he lost all four limbs, suffered fourth-degree burns over 90% of his body, and endured severe smoke inhalational and thermal injury to his respiratory tract.
Apparently, according to the film canon, these injuries caused him to go from being a whiny, seriously annoying, not at all badass adolescent to a badass on a galactic scale, which proves two things: your statement makes no sense, and even in a galaxy far, far away, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Link Posted: 6/25/2012 5:15:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 7:36:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The engineers were running from an outbreak of the black goo or some version of it that got out of control. The pile of dead engineers were killed in various ways, heads, bodies exploded. This is just what happened to the head that they brought back to Prometheus. Once they started messing with it they re-animated the goo that had been dormant in the head for the previous 2000 or so years and it blew up, which is the same thing that happened to the other engineers.

Ah, so that guy running from the deadly black goo is trying to get INTO the room filled with dozens of vases of the black goo?

Umm, ok.

Two different kinds of goo, which is rather obvious. One caused the exploding heads/bodies, one mutates into a stronger monstrous form. The kind in the urns was safely contained until disturbed by the humans 2000 years later.

Something happened and the other got out which is what the engineers were running from. If you think about it, it makes sense. Why use the goo in the urns on humanity on Earth? It doesn't kill, it mutates into a monster. The engineers were developing something nastier that killed them before they could deploy it. The goo in the urns was probably related but still had a totally different effect.

Not a perfect movie but I am really amazed at the basic stuff people are missing.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 7:39:31 AM EDT
[#11]
With mutated people and slimey tentacle monsters maybe Roger Corman was a consultant.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 7:59:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Summation of David's character.....

Link Posted: 6/25/2012 8:07:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 10:20:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 12:34:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My wife's conclusion is that the writing is NOT particularly deep or complex - and the some of the things that appeared to be shitty and half-assed writing (for example, the geologist with the mapping globes and a radio connection to the ship somehow getting lost in the pyramid, or the biologist who apparently was terrified by a 2000-year old corpse wanting to play with a creepy alien cobra, etc.) really WERE just shitty and half-assed writing, and nothing more.

After seeing it the first time, I was still undecided on how good it was, and WANTED to see it a second time to really appreciate it.

After seeing it the second time, I'm actually starting to side more with the people that disliked it, because of the sloppy writing and complete absence of character development.  

That one bugged the shit out of me as well.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 12:51:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Going off the top of my head, he lost all four limbs, suffered fourth-degree burns over 90% of his body, and endured severe smoke inhalational and thermal injury to his respiratory tract.

That? Please. He got fricking robot arms and legs. Look at General Grievous. That dude was mad skills, and he had a breathing problem. Vader couldn't do shit because he still had lava in his vag.

Quoted:

Two
different kinds of goo, one mutates into a stronger monstrous form. The
kind in the urns was safely contained until disturbed by the humans
2000 years later.

When they are walking in the chamber you
see little worms in their footprints... thing the black goo turned
those worms into cobra things?

That's hilarious.

She goes to 11. The only way she could be hotter is slightly bigger boobs.

Link Posted: 6/25/2012 1:44:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That? Please. He got fricking robot arms and legs. Look at General Grievous. That dude was mad skills, and he had a breathing problem. Vader couldn't do shit because he still had lava in his vag.

Quoted:

Two different kinds of goo, one mutates into a stronger monstrous form. The kind in the urns was safely contained until disturbed by the humans 2000 years later.

When they are walking in the chamber you see little worms in their footprints... thing the black goo turned those worms into cobra things?

That's hilarious.

Yea...but she is exquisitely proportioned.  Nothing fake there.  Do some googling to see the famous frontal pics of her nekkid above the waist with her arms up...very nice indeed.

Link Posted: 6/25/2012 1:49:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I finally went to see it,all I can say is for me it totally sucked I would compare it to contact more than aliens
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 2:01:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 3:08:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Personally I enjoyed the movie.  I felt that it was very good and left things upon for sequels.  Myself, I feel that in general people today don't want to "think" when they go watch movies.  The want to be force fed every single piece of information, and have it served on a silver platter.  I would rather watch a movie, and walk away with lots of questions that make me watch it several times to pick up on small tidbits of information to piece things together.  Today people are of the mindset, "I want everything and I want it now"  Which has led to movies being really dumbed down for the masses as a whole.  So if a movie comes out that leaves people questioning numerous things, they just say its horrible has a ton of plot holes and it was rubbish.  When in fact, it was very interesting and thought provoking.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 8:18:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Two different kinds of goo, one mutates into a stronger monstrous form. The kind in the urns was safely contained until disturbed by the humans 2000 years later.

When they are walking in the chamber you see little worms in their footprints... thing the black goo turned those worms into cobra things?

Quoted:
Summation of David's character.....
http://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/david.gif

That's hilarious.

Yea...but she is exquisitely proportioned.  Nothing fake there.  Do some googling to see the famous frontal pics of her nekkid above the waist with her arms up...very nice indeed.

Gary Sinise is the man
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 8:34:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's hilarious.

Reindeer Games and 2 Days in the valley were both a long time ago and she still looks fantastic

Link Posted: 6/27/2012 5:42:28 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Thread drift...

The less organic something is the less force power it has or something.  Also The original trilogy takes place 20 years later, and Vader is then pushing 50 years old with his body only kept alive by machines.  In the mean time he got his ass kicked a few more times in the expanded universe including the Force Unleashed games.  Of course he's going to be less effective in combat.

Ouch... yeah, go ahead and support the midichlorian thing. But there's still more organic Vader than a whole Yoda... and Yoda was 800 and doing flips and shit. Ok... different species... like that matters. Count Dooku was spry for an old fart too. Definite thread drift though... like it matters. Everyone is on the same sheet of music on Prometheus... half-asses story writing and character development substituted with great visuals. Surprised? No.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea...but
she is exquisitely proportioned.  Nothing fake there.  Do some googling
to see the famous frontal pics of her nekkid above the waist with her
arms up...very nice indeed.

Reindeer Games and 2 Days in the valley were both a long time ago and she still looks fantastic

I think she's better looking now than she ever was. She was smoking hot in this and crazy hot in Hancock.

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 11:10:27 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

What was with the Lawrence of Arabia references?  That just happens to be one of my all-time favorite movies, but I can't figure out how it relates to this story.  Was it simply a plot device to give David some depth?  Was it an homage by Scott (or Lindelof) sort of like the Steve Stills references?

Lawrence of Arabia was a man working alongside and trying to understand a completely different culture.  Much of his work was done separate from his countrymen, and in that sense he was a solitary figure.  The only Englishmen around, he was unique, he stood out, and he didn't fit in at first.  He had to earn the respect of the Arabs through his deeds.

I think that predicament resonated with David.  He could relate to what Lawrence was experiencing, being the only android of his kind.  He too was working alongside and trying to understand humans.  He too was isolated and unique.  

I do think it was a nice touch that he styled his hair to match Peter O'Toole's from the movie Lawrence of Arabia and carried himself with proper poise in all his movements.

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 11:39:06 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just got back from an IMAX 3D showing. Good movie overall, not great.

So how did the alien ship get a pilot in the driver's seat, as seen in Alien? The only surviving alien died on the med ship.

Prometheus did not take place on LV426 like Alien/Aliens. It was on LV233 or something, not LV426. My guess is a sequel might explain that more.

Yeah , but in Alien, isn't the derelict ship in exactly the same position as the crashed ship in Prometheus?   Also, Dr. Shaw in Prometheus closes the movie with a monologue message to other travelers - "There is nothing but death here."  In Alien, when Ripley analyzes the "distress call" with the computer, she says:  "I don't think this is a distress call, I think it's a warning."

So close to being a prequel, but not a prequel.  That's what puzzles me.

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 11:39:25 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't really have time to go step by step through all that Red letter media stuff but suffice to say nearly all of it has perfectly reasonable explanations that are contained in the film or can be reasoned out.

Agree that RLM is going a little overboard here. Question: Did they ever explain why the engineers were trying to get into those rooms? The rooms were full of goo too....also, what was the reason behind the large head statue and mural? For a scientific outpost, the decoration was ornate.

I think they were trying to get in that room as it had a door and a lock.  Sucks to be stuck in a tunnel when being chased by a monster.  When they thought the monster had gone, they left the room in a hurry, leaving the body and head of their buddy behind.  They later died in the tunnel with all the other engineers.

The room was probably a temple.  It was not scientific in function. Keep in mind that behind the giant head was a large relief sculpture of a xenomorph in a crucifix pose in what looked like a vagina (but was probably an artistic expression of a xenomorph busting out of a chest cavity).  I think they worshipped the xenomorph.  Or gave it extremely high regard as the culmination of their work.

The engineers went in that room in their helmeted suits, so I think they were biologically inert to the cylinders.  When the humans show up they have their helmets off.  CO2, moist air, microbiota, whatever, that we expel into our environment were the triggers for the cylinders to open.  David temporarily neutralized one by spraying it with something, perhaps a sterilizing agent, so he could get it back onboard.

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 11:42:28 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We have stupidity after stupidity which killed my ability suspend disbelief.   The helmets, the failure to use any archeological safeguards, the lack of quarantine, a woman who just had a c-section (involving an incision through abdominal muscle) running around like Ellen Ripley; the stupid use of prosthetic aging on a much younger actor playing Weyland;  I could go on and on.

I have two big gripes - no thought was put into the "science" part of this fiction (e.g., ion drives are constrained by physics to be low thrust drives. If you have a drive that shoots your ship forward for a terrifying collision, "ion drive" is the last name you'd choose for it....any halfwit can tell you that), and the crew excelled only in unprofessionalism. In the original trilogy, a lot of the crew were MINERS, or MARINES, and acted according to what I'd expect. But this handpicked, trillion dollar expedition was populated with goofballs. It's just not believable.

Actually most of the situations and actions of the characters ARE totally believable, IF you apply more than a minimum of thought.

I'd argue that most "halfwits" actually DON'T know anything about ion drives. Maybe it's a different kind of "ion drive"? It doesn't generate thrust by shooting ions out but smashes them together in some kind of reactor? Who knows?For the millionth time, it's a MOVIE. The science behind most of the technologies in Star Wars, Star Trek, and most other sci-fi movies are just make believe gobbledegook, so why should this be different? Physicists say that FTL is not possible but in this movie we have a FTL ship, and you're taken out of the movie because they called it an "ion drive"? Just stay home and save yourself the aggravation. There's a reason these are movies are called science FICTION.

Weyland bankrolled the trip, yes. However, he was on ice for two years before it actually left and as you'll recall, Vickers stated explicitly that SHE hired at least a portion of the crew. It never says exaclty who she hired, but given that she had zero interest in Weyland attaining his goals (the king has his reign then he dies) I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think that she INTENTIONALLY populated the expedition with goofballs. Really, only Fifield and Milburn were "goofballs" anyway and it was certainly implied that they were high while they were in the pyramid. I don't generally give potheads much credit for making great decsions while stoned.

It is possible that Vickers hired goofballs on purpose, but that is inconsistent with her will to SURVIVE. You do not bring dumbasses along on dangerous missions far from any support. The crew's actions are pretty indefensible, but you can keep trying....

Ion drives are not science fiction, btw. I was just using it as an example.

She specifically says that she thought there would be nothing there.  I don't think she thought it was dangerous at all, but a pointless exercise from her father who can't let go of the reins of power.  Last gasp kind of thing, but basically a bullshit trip.  That's why I think she hired the people she did.  She hired the only scientists that would go on a long mission with no questions asked.  In other words, reckless screwballs.

Link Posted: 6/30/2012 3:20:57 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We have stupidity after stupidity which killed my ability suspend disbelief.   The helmets, the failure to use any archeological safeguards, the lack of quarantine, a woman who just had a c-section (involving an incision through abdominal muscle) running around like Ellen Ripley; the stupid use of prosthetic aging on a much younger actor playing Weyland;  I could go on and on.

I have two big gripes - no thought was put into the "science" part of this fiction (e.g., ion drives are constrained by physics to be low thrust drives. If you have a drive that shoots your ship forward for a terrifying collision, "ion drive" is the last name you'd choose for it....any halfwit can tell you that), and the crew excelled only in unprofessionalism. In the original trilogy, a lot of the crew were MINERS, or MARINES, and acted according to what I'd expect. But this handpicked, trillion dollar expedition was populated with goofballs. It's just not believable.

Actually most of the situations and actions of the characters ARE totally believable, IF you apply more than a minimum of thought.

I'd argue that most "halfwits" actually DON'T know anything about ion drives. Maybe it's a different kind of "ion drive"? It doesn't generate thrust by shooting ions out but smashes them together in some kind of reactor? Who knows?For the millionth time, it's a MOVIE. The science behind most of the technologies in Star Wars, Star Trek, and most other sci-fi movies are just make believe gobbledegook, so why should this be different? Physicists say that FTL is not possible but in this movie we have a FTL ship, and you're taken out of the movie because they called it an "ion drive"? Just stay home and save yourself the aggravation. There's a reason these are movies are called science FICTION.

Weyland bankrolled the trip, yes. However, he was on ice for two years before it actually left and as you'll recall, Vickers stated explicitly that SHE hired at least a portion of the crew. It never says exaclty who she hired, but given that she had zero interest in Weyland attaining his goals (the king has his reign then he dies) I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think that she INTENTIONALLY populated the expedition with goofballs. Really, only Fifield and Milburn were "goofballs" anyway and it was certainly implied that they were high while they were in the pyramid. I don't generally give potheads much credit for making great decsions while stoned.

It is possible that Vickers hired goofballs on purpose, but that is inconsistent with her will to SURVIVE. You do not bring dumbasses along on dangerous missions far from any support. The crew's actions are pretty indefensible, but you can keep trying....

Ion drives are not science fiction, btw. I was just using it as an example.

She specifically says that she thought there would be nothing there.  I don't think she thought it was dangerous at all, but a pointless exercise from her father who can't let go of the reins of power.  Last gasp kind of thing, but basically a bullshit trip.  That's why I think she hired the people she did.  She hired the only scientists that would go on a long mission with no questions asked.  In other words, reckless screwballs.

That pretty much resonates with her attitude through the first part of the movie. "Fine Daddy, lets go on one last jaunt. I'll show you there's nothing out here and you're full of it. Just hurry up and die already so I can take over." Whoops.

I wonder whos idea it was to have a fully equipped and isolated lifeboat. His or hers? Sounds like the robo operating table was for him, so maybe the lifeboat was his idea, even though it's presented as a way to keep her separate from the crew.

Link Posted: 6/30/2012 11:39:40 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What was with the Lawrence of Arabia references?  That just happens to be one of my all-time favorite movies, but I can't figure out how it relates to this story.  Was it simply a plot device to give David some depth?  Was it an homage by Scott (or Lindelof) sort of like the Steve Stills references?

I think it was to show David has feelings, since he has a favourite movie.  May help to explain why David chose Holloway in particular to infect, since Holloway was a dick to David all the time

I took a slightly different angle to the David/Holloway relationship.  

David specifically asked Holloway what he would do to achieve his goal (understanding the purpose of the Engineers) and Holloway replied, "Anything and everything."

Only after that reply did David move to infect Holloway, which implied (to me anyway) that David perceived consent, something that would fit in with his programming to 'serve' his human masters.

It also fit in with the recklessness of the people in the movie, rushing in to these situations that were so blatantly dangerous.
I had the same impression.

I kind of thought that... but it's still a pretty slick interpretation for an android. It's like he was programmed to be a shady fucker.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 12:19:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Umm, ok.

Maybe they were doing damage control/ spill containment.

i'm not sure they were running into the room.  there were a pile of bodies just past the door that they said it looked like things had exploded out of them

But that room was part of the ship wasn't it? It had a computer coded lock on the door. So it was some sort of cargo hold or something?

The beginning scene where the dude eats the caviar and falls apart... I kind of thought it was some kind of ritual sacrifice that would lead use his broken down DNA to create new life... except he looked surprised like he wasn't expecting it. At the same time a ship it flying away that doesnt look like the ones they had. I kind of thought they had been visited by their makers. They were left with a parting gift. Dude thought it was food and downed it. His buddies watch him come apart. At that point they decide they're going to make their own killer death goo and space ships and get even with the pricks that just gave them a nasty batch of eggs. The head shrine is the image of their makers (the ceatures seem sharper, where the engineers are mind of round and bulbous). They build this  shrine room to deliver to their makers which is actually boobytrapped with their own black goo pods.
Fast forward 2,000 years to when the humans show up... where nothing is explained and everything is confusing. Draw more of your own conclusions.

Again the more I think about it it almost seems like they just made this movie in the exact sequence it's shown because they just made the shit up as they went.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 10:12:47 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I kind of thought that... but it's still a pretty slick interpretation for an android. It's like he was programmed to be a shady fucker.

Reminds me of some dialog from Neuromancer:

`Wait a sec,' Case said.  `Are you sentient, or not?'

`Well, it _feels_ like I am, kid, but I'm really just a bunch of

ROM.  It's one of them, ah, philosophical questions, I guess...'

The ugly laughter sensation rattled down Case's spine.  `But I

ain't likely to write you no poem, if you follow me.  Your AI,

it just might.  But it ain't no way human.'

Overall I liked the movie, huge plot holes aside. I can suspend a lot of disbelief when I want to.

ETA: Noomi Rapace > Charlize Theron

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 12:56:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Just saw it.

Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable! You are a poor movie, Prometheus!

Pacing was boring. All the characters were annoying as shit. No actions made sense.

Its almost like it was made by some fucking idiot who liked movies but had no business making them. "In movies people do this, lets have people do that, I dont care if it makes no sense."
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 12:59:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Just saw it.

Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable! You are a poor movie, Prometheus!

Pacing was boring. All the characters were annoying as shit. No actions made sense.

Its almost like it was made by some fucking idiot who liked movies but had no business making them. "In movies people do this, lets have people do that, I dont care if it makes no sense."

inb4 people call you an ignorant simpleton for not understanding how deep, philosophical and powerful that PIECE OF SOOTIKIN was.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 1:01:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Also why didnt anyone stop David from fucking everything up? He just kept touching things and opening things and people told him to stop but he just kept being a dick and doing it.

Someone should have hired Harris Ford to shoot him.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 1:31:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Killing Jesus was the point of Jesus. It was supposed to happen. Jesus is pointless without the crucifixion.

Only if you're into that line of mythology......
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 1:43:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Killing Jesus was the point of Jesus. It was supposed to happen. Jesus is pointless without the crucifixion.

I think the aliens were mad because they sent Budha back to teach everyone how to get in bar brawls and punch each either other in the face, but instead everyone just kept being all mellow and peaceful around him. So now they have to black spooge earth.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 1:46:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the aliens were mad because they sent Budha back to teach everyone how to get in bar brawls and punch each either other in the face, but instead everyone just kept being all mellow and peaceful around him. So now they have to black spooge earth.

I don't know if you're an imbecile or a genius sometimes.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 1:53:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I don't know if you're an imbecile or a genius sometimes.

OR!

Maybe the aliens sent Mohammad to say there were lots of gods besides Allah, but instead people just kept proclaiming him a prophet of the one true God and talking about how great Allah was.

They got so mad that they had to plan 20,000 years in advance to set up a black spooge base to fix these sins.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 1:57:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Aaron Diaz, artist/writer behind the excellent Dresden Codak wrote a nice little piece on this.

5 Ways to Improve Prometheus

1. Cut the Cast in Half and Pick a Protagonist

Prometheus has a large cast that is meant to be reminiscent of the crew in Alien or the space marines in Aliens, except they really aren’t like those at all. Because this isn’t a horror or action film (where a large cast can be whittled down to build increasing tension), there’s no real benefit to having all these people hanging around. Not enough time can be spent on any character, so we end up not really caring about most of them.

I think few will dispute that David the robot (expertly played by Michael Fassbender) is the most developed character, and from the first 20 minutes of the film it felt like he was going to be our protagonist. Unfortunately this isn’t really the case, with the majority of Prometheus jumping around to little scenes with lots of characters we never really get to know.  I think about halfway through the film decides that Elizabeth Shaw (played by Noomi Rapace) should be the main character, but there’s no real reason for this other than most of the other people have already died.  This is fine for a survival horror film like Alien, where Ripley kind of turns into the main character as the plot progresses, but in a science fiction film with a very different narrative focus, it doesn’t work.  I get the feeling she was tapped to be the remaining character because the want her to remind the audience of Ripley.  This, however, does not work because they are wildly different characters, no matter how many visual parallels the film shoves in.  As such, I will henceforth refer to the character as "Not Ripley.”

In my opinion, the film would have benefitted from only having two real main characters, David the robot and Not Ripley. Not Ripley is this idealist scientist looking for her creator, while David is forced by his creator to go on this crazy mission.  Focusing on these two characters more makes scenes in Prometheus work a lot better, and would also give more opportunities to provide context for their actions.  As is, many decisions of both David and Not Ripley leave us wondering as to their motivations, and not in a good way.

Ironically the film ends with only these two characters, ready to go on an adventure. Show me that movie!

2. Remove the Subplots that Go Nowhere

Prometheus was co-written by the creator of Lost, which should have warned us all that there would be lots of promises of amazing things with no payoff.  The film suffers heavily from a saturation of subplots and minor character stories that neither flesh out any theme or contribute toward the overall plot.  Here are some of the things that should have gotten the chopping block:

- Not Ripley’s religious crisis. Other than the fact that there is a "creator” involved, focusing on her faith has no connection to the themes of the film.  All it does is give characters the opportunity to say "did you lose your faith yet?” over and over to Not Ripley.  Prometheus isn’t about having or losing faith in something!  It’s about coming into contact with your creator and the nature of those expectations.  Religious metaphors could in theory work for this movie, but they used the wrong ones. As a result, it feels tacked-on and trite.

- The Old Man subplot.  So CEO Old Man froze himself in the spaceship too so that he could meet aliens.  Fair enough, it reminds me a little of the cancer-riddled billionaire who helped out Jodie Foster in Contact, except in this case there’s no reason for it to be in the movie. I’m assuming he was inserted into the movie because the Alien films usually had jerky corporate people screwing things up, but in those cases their involvement contributed to the primary narrative and changed the nature of what’s going on.  In Prometheus, though, you can remove Old Man and his daughter Charlize Theron entirely from the movie and nothing would change, other than some of David’s behavior would be less confusing.  

You can and generally should have more than one thing going on in a film like this, but subplots generally tie into the main story in some way. Having side stories that just fizzle out with changing or implicating anything is just filler.

3. Cut References to the Alien franchise by 95%

I don’t know how Ridley Scott can say Prometheus isn’t a prequel to Alien with a straight face.  It’s not just a prequel, it’s almost a beat-by-beat homage to his earlier film.  The references go beyond shameless into the realm of perplexing, and I wonder how many script rewrites it took to force all of them into what would otherwise just be a decent sci-fi movie.  

First off, we don’t need an origin story for the xenomorphs (the monsters from Alien). In fact, explaining their existence lessens the impact of the original concept.  Half the terror element of the xenomorphs is that they’re from some mysterious place in outer space. Fleshing them out evaporates the mystery and kind of the point of the xenomorphs from a story perspective.

Second, by structuring the narrative like the Alien films, Prometheus fights against itself as it tries to tell a science fiction story.  The Alien franchise is in the horror/action genre; and, while each film is very different in style, they all tell a very similar story.  However, none of these stories are science fiction stories in the way that Prometheus is, and trying to present Prometheus like those stories is self-defeating.

Prometheus is (in theory) much closer in content and scope of traditional sci-fi, something like Solaris, Contact or Star Trek: the Motion Picture, where the narrative moves forward by way of increasing discovery and understanding.  We’re interested in seeing what happens next because we want to uncover the scientific mystery;   exploration is the driving force of the plot.  Unfortunately, Prometheus takes that premise and tries to make it unfold like a film from the Alien franchise, which is partly why most of the horror/monster elements in the film fall completely flat.  We don’t really care about these various monsters, not only because they’re all over the place and have no explanation, but because the reason we’re engaged in the story isn’t based on who lives and who dies.

Prometheus, at times, feels afraid to embrace its own concept and is constantly throwing little visual nods to the Alien films, as well as damn near recreating scenes from those movies.  The ending, in particular, is so comical and forced that you have to wonder what anyone was thinking when they wrote it down.  

If you want to have one or two little tie-ins with Alien, fine.  The "space jockey” image is enough on its own, really.  Just having that visual connection makes the universe richer while still being tasteful. We don’t need detailed origin story for a monster from 1979.

4. Move the 3rd Act Reveal to the 1st Act

So 500 hours into the film and we discover that the Engineer/Progenitor aliens are evil and want to kill the human race. Or maybe it’s just the one guy. Who knows? The film certainly won’t tell us.  Hearkening back to the comparison to Lost, this really feels like a sloppy "twist” that, expectedly, goes nowhere.  The reveal that the Engineers wanted humanity dead is a fascinating concept in itself, but it’s what should have gotten the main plot rolling instead of being a last-minute 3rd Act Twist.

The problem with that revelation is that it doesn’t change the tone of what’s already going on and it doesn’t change any of the stakes of what’s already been presented.  Since the first act of Prometheus, all the characters have already realized that "things aren’t how they seem.” They’ve also known for most of the movie that their expectations were wrong and this world (and possibly civilization) is hostile to them.  They’re already in danger from the start; showing the Engineers to be hostile along with everything else just adds to the growing list of vaguely-connected threats they’ve already been dealing with.  Granted, having the Engineers turn out to be evil is the largest threat, but it’s so late in the plot that no consequences are developed, other than the tired "Earth is in danger” trope.  Any time that trope is thrown in and an Earth we never really see or talk about is threatened by a bad guy, it’s a bad sign.

5. Follow Through With the Film’s Premise

The Greek myth of Prometheus is about a god who dared to give fire (civilization) to humanity and is punished.  This is what the film Prometheus should have consistently been about, but failed to follow through.  The first 20 minutes, in my opinion, held to this very well, but after that there’s a severe loss of focus.  Instead of exploring the concept of why a superior civilization would create a new race and then want to destroy it, we’re given a detailed and unfocused origin story for the monsters in the Alien movies.

If we assume that Prometheus follows through thematically with that myth, we can then say that the Engineer from the opening scene is the Prometheus character that is giving "fire” to humanity, and that he is perhaps acting against the wishes of the other Engineers.  Were the cave paintings left by the "good” Engineer(s) to warn humanity of their brethren’s evil designs, or was it all an extremely elaborate trap? These are fantastic concepts that should have been the driving force of the movie, but instead we have to perform film archaeology just to piece them together.  

Just sticking with that one theme and following through would make for an excellent film.  Plotwise, we’d get great things like:

• Providing a serious existential threat of basically having a malevolent God

• Discovering why one Engineer sympathize with (or at least created) humanity

• Setting up a clear thematic relationship between creators and their "children,” represented by the Engineers, humanity and robots

• Offering more opportunities for David to discuss his own motivations in contrast to his human shipmates

• Actually having conversations with at least one Engineer and understanding their motivations

Imagine a film where the generally benevolent aliens (akin to Contact)actually had it in for the human race.  This is really terrifying, and what’s more it’s a totally different kind of threat than the xenomorphs from the Alien movies. The Engineers and the Xenomorphs are two opposite ends of the "alien threat” spectrum. While the Xenomorphs are scary because they’re monsters who are numerous and hard to kill, the Engineers are terrifying because they are smarter and more advanced than we are.  This calls for a different type of film to be made, which is why the Engineer in the film comes off as silly, as he’s portrayed as just another big monster who punches people.

My general complaint about this movie is a lack of focus.  There were too many unconnected ideas (probably the result of multiple script revisions), and it loses sight of what the first portion promises.  Prometheus beings by asking questions about the nature of the human race and its origins and then promptly forgets about this until the last few minutes. As David and Not Ripley flew away, I immediately though "wait, they’re going to go do what I thought they were supposed to do in this movie!”

And those are my basic thoughts. As I said, I don’t think Prometheus is exactly a bad film, but rather a lackluster movie with a much better one hidden inside it.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 5:23:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Also why didnt anyone stop David from fucking everything up? He just kept touching things and opening things and people told him to stop but he just kept being a dick and doing it.

Someone should have hired Harris Ford to shoot him.

or hit him with a fire extinguisher
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 6:11:32 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Aaron Diaz, artist/writer behind the excellent Dresden Codak wrote a nice little piece on this.

Good write-up. Thanks.

Link Posted: 7/7/2012 6:49:27 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good write-up. Thanks.  

Yeah... not bad.

Definitely a good point about how the Engineer, who is supposed to be an intellectually and technologically superior race, ends up being a really big thug that just punches things...

The scientists show how the "engineers" have been on the planet visiting multiple civilizations... why? That would have been cool to know.

David interprets their language... is there nothing anywhere that he could have read that would have given a little more insight into everything? Or did he and we just don't know because he was so secretive?

That review just knocked this movie down another peg for sure. I think the bottom line is this:

- Ridley Scott made the original Alien. He put the Space Jockey into the scenery, with no real intent or purpose... probably more because it looked cool.

- People clung to the Space Jockey and wanted to know more about it... the back story.

- 3 decades goes by and it's decided to hash out the backstory of the Space Jockey... something that originally had no backstory, it was just a set piece.

- Somewhere along the line the backstory of the Space Jockey turns into the backstory of the Xenomorphs...

It could have been a lot easier... Space Jockey is an alien (non-xenomorph mouth-tongue killing animal). It travels around the universe collecting different species. It picks the wrong species, it gets out of its control while traveling and crashes on LV426. Waits... that's it? No elaborate universal conspiracy? That won't be long enough for a movie... lets add a whole bunch of crap to drag it out to 1.5hours.

Link Posted: 7/7/2012 9:11:06 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

It is an evolutionary strategy that - as far as I know of - has not been explored by science fiction.  A super parasite that uses host DNA as a sort of vector to perpetuate it's own - no need to worry about killing your "host," you simply co-opt aspects of it.

Blood Music by Greg bear

Link Posted: 7/7/2012 9:30:49 AM EDT
[#45]
I like the basis in Sumerian mythology.

Of course, they should have asked Neal Stephenson to write the screenplay instead of the assclown from Lost.

Link Posted: 7/7/2012 4:54:32 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

It could have been a lot easier... Space Jockey is an alien (non-xenomorph mouth-tongue killing animal). It travels around the universe collecting different species. It picks the wrong species, it gets out of its control while traveling and crashes on LV426. Waits... that's it? No elaborate universal conspiracy? That won't be long enough for a movie... lets add a whole bunch of crap to drag it out to 1.5hours.

That would have been brilliant. It seems like so many science fiction stories involve Earth's past in some way, as if our planet always has to play an important role in the story. It's an idea that is getting overused. The story would have been more interesting if it was the investigation of a civilization as alien as the original beast.

Link Posted: 7/7/2012 5:01:43 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

That would have been brilliant. It seems like so many science fiction stories involve Earth's past in some way, as if our planet always has to play an important role in the story.

It's important to audience members because we all live here.

Link Posted: 7/7/2012 5:14:07 PM EDT
[#48]
I understand that, but it is overused.

Link Posted: 7/8/2012 7:27:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Just saw it.

*Golf clap* for the Ghostbusters reference.
Page / 10
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top