Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/4/2012 10:36:12 PM EDT
I've caught the bug to get one. I would like to try and get a decent one for around 5 to 7k. Any advice on what to look for and to stay away from? I kinda like the chop top coupes, but some trucks look pretty good too.
Pics are always welcome.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 10:47:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Beware of shoddy welding on the frames.....ESPECIALLY where they've Z'd them

Ratrods are cool but don't get a rolling deathtrap
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 10:50:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Beware of shoddy welding on the frames.....ESPECIALLY where they've Z'd them

Ratrods are cool but don't get a rolling deathtrap

This, channeled frames + high torque are hazardous to bad welds

Link Posted: 6/4/2012 11:03:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I've caught the bug to get one. I would like to try and get a decent one for around 5 to 7k. Any advice on what to look for and to stay away from? I kinda like the chop top coupes, but some trucks look pretty good too.

Pics are always welcome.

You don't get one....  You build it or have it built...

You buy one, you buy someone elses mess unless you spend way more than your budget....

I can recommend you a shop. If you like...  

Link Posted: 6/5/2012 3:23:52 AM EDT
[#4]
5-7K will buy you a death trap.

Rat rods fall into two categories:  poorly built junk that should be parted back out and well built creative cars that would be fun to drive.  There's a big price difference between the two.

For your budget, try to find a project you can finish.  Preferably one without an engine or transmission so you can get the best frame and body possible.  Then toss in a generic 350 to get going while you piece up an interesting motor like a Nailhead or Olds Rocket.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 3:35:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Just like Dolly Parton said... "it takes a lot of money to look this cheap".

Rat rods are cool. I want one too.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 3:36:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Build one. Thats the whole appeal to that scene.

Ive gone to plenty of car shows. Ill start asking the owner some questions, the second he cant answer and says "I had it built", I just walk away. Anyone can write a check. There is something about building it yourself that I want to see. When talking to a "builder" you can see and hear the enthusiasm when he is talking about his car. That is the guy I want to talk to.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 3:50:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Ive gone to plenty of car shows. Ill start asking the owner some questions, the second he cant answer and says "I had it built", I just walk away. Anyone can write a check. There is something about building it yourself that I want to see. When talking to a "builder" you can see and hear the enthusiasm when he is talking about his car. That is the guy I want to talk to.

Do you melt/cast/forge your own metal too?  How about the tires?  Did you make them?  Let me guess...you "bought" all that stuff.

Link Posted: 6/5/2012 3:53:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you melt/cast/forge your own metal too?  How about the tires?  Did you make them?  Let me guess...you "bought" all that stuff.

ummmm
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 4:01:09 AM EDT
[#9]
hunnertcarpileup.com

if your in the area for this event... bring a bib. plenty of tits and tires to drool over!
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 4:12:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe he means buying a bunch of components and making them fit and work correctly together (no small feat in the rat rod build, I have seen my Dad putting one together, it doesn't just "bolt right on")

Are you going to tell me I don't really build/make anything in the machine shop because I didn't grind my own end mill or build my lathe from scratch at a foundry?
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 4:14:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not what he means.

Have you assembled an AR lower yourself? If you have you probably are proud to say that you did.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 4:17:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Trailers are for boats and pussies...
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 4:24:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow..you really missed the mark on my post by a long shot.

Like an AR, you can either build (assemble) one or buy one. Those that build one are a lil more proud because of this feat. Like I said, anyone can write a check for a rat rod, its takes time, money, skill, imagination and ambition to build one.

Link Posted: 6/5/2012 4:29:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Do your research.

www.jalopyjournal.com <––traditional hot rod site. By traditional they mean rods how they were made back in the day. They associate "rat rod" with poorly made crap, but there is a lot of really cool rods and tech knowledge there.

www.killbillet.com
<––you have to wade through the poorly made crap to find the true gems.

There's nothing wrong with buying a frame kit from Speedway and building on that IMO.

Link Posted: 6/5/2012 4:56:28 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pics are always welcome.

You don't get one....  You build it or have it built...

You buy one, you buy someone elses mess unless you spend way more than your budget....

I can recommend you a shop. If you like...  

This, all of it.

Link Posted: 6/5/2012 5:08:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Pretty much this.  Rat rods are not my thing but if they were I would have to build one.  Even though I'm not crazy about them I do have tremendous appreciation and respect for the amount of imagination, creativity and skill it takes to build a good one.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 5:11:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Are you up on your tetnaus shots?
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 5:12:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Do it.

Link Posted: 6/5/2012 5:24:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Rat Rods are cool.

Link Posted: 6/5/2012 5:26:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Do your research.

www.jalopyjournal.com <––traditional hot rod site. By traditional they mean rods how they were made back in the day. They associate "rat rod" with poorly made crap, but there is a lot of really cool rods and tech knowledge there.

www.killbillet.com

There's nothing wrong with buying a frame kit from Speedway and building on that IMO.

Before you consider that, ensure that your State is cool when it comes to titling.  In California, that is not the case.  Having an original title for an A-bone can double the price out here for junk.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 5:38:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Texas has a lot of good steel in it, still...but you're going to want to move on it.  The rat rod thing was cool when it was new, but every old fart with money (I'm an old POOR fart, so I can bitch) is snatching up good bodies and frames and just putting 'em away until "they get around ta buildin'".  I know guys who have made their retirement "job" driving around the country and looking for old cars and parts to flip.

40's trucks are still coming in at decent prices, and some of the rats I've seen based on those were phenomenal.

If you're a larger guy, you're really going to want to see if you can sit in a couple first, before you start buying parts and putting your rod together.  Some of the more popular combinations just aren't very comfortable.

I'm a fan of A-bones on deuce rails.  Were it me, I'd invest in brand new rails, or a complete frame, and put my titled, old-ass body on it (if I had one).  Wanna see sticker shock?  Look at the price difference between a 1928-1931 Model A body (any body, in decent condition) and the price of a 1932 Ford coupe/sedan body (in decent condition).  I've seen just a primered 1932 5-window coupe body with firewall sell for over 20K with doors and rumble lid (and nothing else).

The beauty of these cars is the simplicity, but you can quickly out-simplify yourself by trying to be "too" authentic, ie spending more money for period-correct drum brakes on a dropped, spring-over Superbell can actually cost quite a bit more than indpendent front suspension (void if old iron is readily accessible where you live).

Oh––this isn't bolt-on hot rodding, like you may have fond memories of from high-school.  You're going to need to know how to weld, if you don't already.  This is pretty much essential.

There are some really great books available to give you a good intro on building these cars.  Little things, like positioning of the steering box, can make a huge difference between a fun car to drive and a deathtrap.  This is something you really want to approach sort of slowly.  The time to learn about bumpsteer, for example, is best BEFORE you start mounting steering geometry.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 5:47:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Bonnevillain...I say Bonnevillain!  Where you at, son?
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 6:36:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If you're a larger guy, you're really going to want to see if you can sit in a couple first,

this...
any car with a heavy chop is out for me. unless your setup sitting on the floor ala go-cart styl

this thread reminds me I need to get off my ass and go get a free "65 dodge truck.
I have a thing for ugly as sin trucks and seafoam green satin paint...
not really a "rat rod" will call it a old girl with soul lol

also as mentioned people built rat rods and then once they became popular people started building deathtraps and garbage rods
ran across one the other day that decided rat rod to them was rebar in bent up curved pieces
the cough chevy 350 cough motor mounts were some 3/8" rebar bent and welded same goes for headlight mounts, radiator support...etc. etc..
was a s10 frame hacked up and bubblegum welded back together
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 6:47:15 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm laughing at all of the arfcom rat rod afficianados who thumb their nose at dangerous or shoddy rat rod construction.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 6:52:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Do your research.

www.killbillet.com

This guy is speaking the truth. Having built several traditional styled hot rods I can tell u it takes time, tons of research and there are more parts involved than u would imagine even in the simpliest machine.  Figure out body works for you, then the drivetrain you want then brakes... You'll get what u pay for when it comes to all of it. For instance my completely rust free 1930 ford coupe body only... Cost me 5 grand. So even a lot of those "cheap" looking builds have quite a bit of money wrapped up in it. Do your research so u don't buy dbl of parts after finding out they don't work

Link Posted: 6/5/2012 6:53:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm laughing at all of the arfcom rat rod afficianados who thumb their nose at dangerous or shoddy rat rod construction.

have you seen some of peoples "work"?
this isnt just rat rods we can go to any genre of car building and find some really shitty work
I think it is more prevalent in rat rods though...

I cant tell you how many people buy a 110v mig welder from harbor freight and label themselves a master fabricator lol
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 7:11:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe he means buying a bunch of components and making them fit and work correctly together (no small feat in the rat rod build, I have seen my Dad putting one together, it doesn't just "bolt right on")

Are you going to tell me I don't really build/make anything in the machine shop because I didn't grind my own end mill or build my lathe from scratch at a foundry?

I think people overestimate what it takes to build one. This stuff isn't rocket science. Just because someone can do basic metal fab and welding doesn't make them some sort of artist. I've since moved on to doing other things but I started my career in welding and fab. Building stuff like that isn't that hard, it just takes a lot more dedication and money than most people have.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 7:14:52 AM EDT
[#28]

You build what you want, but myself, I get bored with seeing 100 rods all with small block Chevys.

The 350 was king back in the 50s-early 60s. But nowadays there are gobs of motors that will tear your tires off and ruin your frame.

It especially blows my mind to see an old Mopar with a sbc.

I'd like to score a I6 Chevy just to put a monster 292 in it.

Link Posted: 6/5/2012 7:19:44 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Yes rods by nature are screaming death traps. However they shouldn't be dangerous to themselves where you risk your life when you simply hit the gas pedal.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 7:19:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You build what you want, but myself, I get bored with seeing 100 rods all with small block Chevys.

The 350 was king back in the 50s-early 60s. But nowadays there are gobs of motors that will tear your tires off and ruin your frame.

+1

'cept I'd go with a Ford 300
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 7:21:47 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

LOL. That'd piss some people off.

Link Posted: 6/5/2012 7:24:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think people overestimate what it takes to build one. This stuff isn't rocket science. Just because someone can do basic metal fab and welding doesn't make them some sort of artist. I've since moved on to doing other things but I started my career in welding and fab. Building stuff like that isn't that hard, it just takes a lot more dedication and money than most people have.  

I guarantee you the vast majority of this website, full of males, could not put one together and get it working correctly, in an easy fashion.  You are overestimating our society...
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 7:28:51 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you melt/cast/forge your own metal too? How about the tires? Did you make them? Let me guess...you "bought" all that stuff.

I guarantee you the vast majority of this website, full of males, could not put one together and get it working correctly, in an easy fashion. You are overestimating our society...

It really comes down to time and patience. How many are really willing to put in the extra time to become a good welder/fabricator? Then work on engines or at least network with engine guys.

OP, I want to built a traditional rod also, but first I bought a 71 F100 to learn the basics.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 7:38:49 AM EDT
[#35]
There are a lot of elitist fools in the car world, throwing poo poo on small block chevys, rat rods, hot rods, etc, quite similar to the arfcom basement dwellers that don't own a rifle, but tell you tier 1 bullshit is the only thing to consider, or you are a poser.  

The first thing to consider is that there are differences between rat rods, hot rods, gassers, street rods, pro street, pro touring, etc.  Determine what you really want, and then see what you can find and afford.

Here is a link to my build thread on the HAMB.  You may need to make a log in to see the photos.  If someone were to tell me that I didn't build my vehicles because I had to buy the tires, I would kick them in the cunt and wear them like a snow shoe:

HAMB F1 Link

Here is another one:

HAMB 47 Link

These are 'street rods' and were built to drive comfortably and safely.  'rat rods' tend to be built with some level of artistry, with the cheapest hodge podge of parts that can be scrounged up.  From that definition, people often loose sight of the forest for the trees and will spend a shit ton of money making what they think is a rat rod, but really isn't.  

The best description of 'rat rod' I can think can be equated to arfcom threads like this: "how do I learn to weld?  Is this Harbor Freight welder good enough".  Typically, a guy that started a thread like that, used those skills and that quality of welder to build his rat rod, in the vast majority of the examples out there, and not the ones on a magazine cover.  The 1970's era street rod builder was not much better.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 7:39:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
+1

There's a few guys on KillBillet that are using the Ford 2.3 Turbos. One guy is even using the straight six from a Supra.

The May issue of Hot Rod goes over turbocharging a Ford 300...
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 7:54:41 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

There's a few guys on KillBillet that are using the Ford 2.3 Turbos. One guy is even using the straight six from a Supra.

I'll have to check that one out. Nice to see they are covering something other than the latest LS build.

Link Posted: 6/5/2012 7:57:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Definately no SBC I won a car show simply because I didn't have an SBC instead I had the original inline. You can soup up a 6 and squeeze a lot of ponies out of and make it look nostalgic. I like period correct stuff but at a minimum get  squish brakes front and back. You can build a bolt together car nowadays with adaptors for everything without having to risk you life on your ability to weld. Try not to use the term Rat Rod it brings up all sorts of connotations. Most use the term traditional hot rod, usualy anything made before 65 and the muscle car era.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 8:01:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
There are a lot of elitist fools in the car world, throwing poo poo on small block chevys, rat rods, hot rods, etc, quite similar to the arfcom basement dwellers that don't own a rifle, but tell you tier 1 bullshit is the only thing to consider, or you are a poser.  

The first thing to consider is that there are differences between rat rods, hot rods, gassers, street rods, pro street, pro touring, etc.  Determine what you really want, and then see what you can find and afford.

Here is a link to my build thread on the HAMB.  You may need to make a log in to see the photos.  If someone were to tell me that I didn't build my vehicles because I had to buy the tires, I would kick them in the cunt and wear them like a snow shoe:

HAMB F1 Link

Here is another one:

HAMB 47 Link

These are 'street rods' and were built to drive comfortably and safely.  'rat rods' tend to be built with some level of artistry, with the cheapest hodge podge of parts that can be scrounged up.  From that definition, people often loose sight of the forest for the trees and will spend a shit ton of money making what they think is a rat rod, but really isn't.  

The best description of 'rat rod' I can think can be equated to arfcom threads like this: "how do I learn to weld?  Is this Harbor Freight welder good enough".  Typically, a guy that started a thread like that, used those skills and that quality of welder to build his rat rod, in the vast majority of the examples out there, and not the ones on a magazine cover.  The 1970's era street rod builder was not much better.

Kick ass I have a unrestored 51 as a daily driver.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 8:02:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll have to check that one out. Nice to see they are covering something other than the latest LS build.

Then you might get disappointed. It's not the feature article - they have a panel of some people "in the know", and they ask about cheap and inexpensive turbo setups. They go over the Ford straight six, Chevy small block, and an LS.

I just checked and they go over a Chevy 250, not a Ford 300. I don't know how I got that mixed up.

The main article of the magazine is "unpredictable home-built hot rods," though.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 8:02:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Definately no SBC I won a car show simply because I didn't have an SBC instead I had the original inline. You can soup up a 6 and squeeze a lot of ponies out of and make it look nostalgic. I like period correct stuff but at a minimum get  squish brakes front and back. You can build a bolt together car nowadays with adaptors for everything without having to risk you life on your ability to weld. Try not to use the term Rat Rod it brings up all sorts of connotations. Most use the term traditional hot rod, usualy anything made before 65 and the muscle car era.

lets not forget a straight 6 has got to be the simplest motor to work on out there short of a briggs & stratt 5 horse
really need to step out of this thread. have the itch for something old to wrench on instead of working on this damn house
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 8:04:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guarantee you the vast majority of this website, full of males, could not put one together and get it working correctly, in an easy fashion.  You are overestimating our society...

Maybe I am overestimating people on second thought, i've seen some pretty odd threads on here asking how to do very simple tasks.

I guess I should say it's not that hard for anyone with common sense and some sort of mechanical ability beyond what you would have at the age of 13.

Link Posted: 6/5/2012 8:11:16 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Definately no SBC I won a car show simply because I didn't have an SBC instead I had the original inline. You can soup up a 6 and squeeze a lot of ponies out of and make it look nostalgic. I like period correct stuff but at a minimum get squish brakes front and back. You can build a bolt together car nowadays with adaptors for everything without having to risk you life on your ability to weld. Try not to use the term Rat Rod it brings up all sorts of connotations. Most use the term traditional hot rod, usualy anything made before 65 and the muscle car era.

I've seen vids of some wicked 250I6s down in Brazil where they like to turbocharge them. These things sounded like angry bees running down the strips.

Link Posted: 6/5/2012 8:11:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

quote]

Maybe I am overestimating people on second thought, i've seen some pretty odd threads on here asking how to do very simple tasks.

I guess I should say it's not that hard for anyone with common sense and some sort of mechanical ability beyond what you would have at the age of 13.

10-20 years ago I would say this was the case
the other day I had to take the time to educate a 23 year old male who hunts, fishes...etc. etc..
how to change a tire...

Link Posted: 6/5/2012 8:23:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

quote]

10-20 years ago I would say this was the case
the other day I had to take the time to educate a 23 year old male who hunts, fishes...etc. etc..
how to change a tire...

Damn, i'm 23 and a licensed general, refrigeration and hvac contractor. I was a certified welder and still maintain my certs. I guess it may have been my upbringing, dad didn't like questions and he sure as hell didn't tolerate answers.

me at age 7: dad, how do I fix my bike tire?
dad: just fix it
me: how do I fix it
dad: just fix it
me: how?
dad: just look at the sonuvabich, just look at it, fix it!
me: okay dad
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 8:26:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I understand what you're saying, but some people don't have the time. That's why my truck has been sitting in my shop waiting to have the hack job that the suspension shop did. Of course if I'm having someone do something to it I know what they're doing. It's also taught me not to trust every person who says they can do the job. When you have the money but not the time having someone do the work is an option.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 8:34:47 AM EDT
[#47]
"rat rod" deez :

One of 5500 made in '65 with the 273 LA small block.

Link Posted: 6/5/2012 8:41:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Thanks for the info guys
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 8:50:12 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

"rat rod" deez :

One of 5500 made in '65 with the 273 LA small block.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n278/navvet89/van1.jpg

Sweet ride! Yesterday I shortened a straight axle out of a '66 for my Coronet,

made a dolly out of the left over piece.

Link Posted: 6/5/2012 8:53:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ummmm

UM is RIGHT!!! REAL MEN BUILD THEIR CARS!!!! PERIOD!!! Weld, grind, fabricate. Build motort/tranny and suspension. I think men nowdays have lost their way. ........................
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top