Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/1/2012 6:43:24 PM EDT
My son is four now, and will be five in January.

I want to start him off as soon as is prudent in some form of martial art.  I was thinking Tae Kwon Do, as I took Kenpo and Kempo as a young lad, and though I liked it, I don't think they were/are practical in terms of school bullies and street thugs.  The reason I say that is because I had a friend who was a higher belt in Tae Kwon Do, and he kicked the shit out of a huge bully in high school.  On the other hand, a brown belt in my dojo at the time (Fred Villari's) also kicked the shit out of another bully in high school.  Guess i really don't know what my son should take, but the katas and such that I had to do were a joke.  Maybe kick boxing is the way to go.

My question is what does the hive think is a good age to start, and what/which form?  Thanks.

Link Posted: 6/1/2012 6:44:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Aikido
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 6:45:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Find a old, run down boxing gym.  He'll get in SHAPE, be tough and have skills.  Make sure you have a good dental plan.
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 6:48:17 PM EDT
[#3]
At that age anything that enforces discipline and good body mechanics will be fine.  At 5 its pretty much just like day care.

Link Posted: 6/1/2012 6:48:34 PM EDT
[#4]

bjj

Link Posted: 6/1/2012 6:50:02 PM EDT
[#5]
my son is going to be 4 this year.he will be starting Aikido this year
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 6:53:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Get him in a YMCA wrestling program. My boys all started  around 5-6 years old.

They stayed with it through high school. All are certified bad-asses now.

You might note that most of the successful MMA fighters have a wrestling background. Might be coincidence, might not be.
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 6:54:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
At that age anything that enforces discipline and good body mechanics will be fine.  At 5 its pretty much just like day care.  

That also worries me somewhat. My nephew just got his black belt at age 10.  I know that will help him against school bullies now - but what about in high school?  I guess if he keeps it up.  Guess the real point is that if you get your black belt at age 10, it isn't worth that much - ?

I want my son to be able to crush bullies.  He has to wear glasses, so I know he will be picked on unmercifully -

Link Posted: 6/1/2012 6:57:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Get him in a YMCA wrestling program. My boys all started  around 5-6 years old.

They stayed with it through high school. All are certified bad-asses now.

You might note that most of the successful MMA fighters have a wrestling background. Might be coincidence, might not be.

Thanks for that input.  I think that should be a part of my son's program as well -

Link Posted: 6/1/2012 6:58:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Kickboxing for strikes, judo for grappling. Escrima for sticks and knives.
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 6:58:47 PM EDT
[#10]
doubetap  
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 6:59:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Wrestling+boxing
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 7:00:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I thought the title said Mario art. I really liked that game.
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 7:00:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Kajukenbo... the first true American martial art.
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 7:01:07 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Find a old, run down boxing gym.  He'll get in SHAPE, be tough and have skills.  Make sure you have a good dental plan.
This.

ETA: And throw in some BJJ.

Link Posted: 6/1/2012 7:01:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Does he want to do it?
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 7:04:48 PM EDT
[#16]
My son started Judo at 5.  He is now 8 and still loves it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 7:05:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Big +1 for wrestling or TKD.
If you have a good school around TKD is hard to beat. An experienced teacher will keep the enviroment respectful and fun. I have been in martial arts for 20 years and have never seen a young kid not stick with a good TKD program. And with the popularity of Hapkido and Gong Kwan Ysul alot of schools can progress the kids into harder martial arts as they get older. I have seen some pretty kid friendly BJJ schools around but I reall believe in TKD.
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 7:05:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Does he want to do it?

This is a good point.  All I can do is try to get him interested in it.  If he is like his old man, he will like it, especailly the weapons (kobudo).  What I am hoping to do is get him interested in the most practical martial art out there.  I need to know that I have equipped him with the ability to defend himself, and others that he may want to

What is BJJ?  Brazilian ?

Link Posted: 6/1/2012 7:07:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Do you really want to see your 4 year old get punched in the face repetitively. I boxed for several years and my mom cried at every one of my matches.

Link Posted: 6/1/2012 7:07:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Does he want to do it?

Learning how to fight is like learning how to swim, it's a basic survival skill. It's one of the ways that you prepare your children to become self sufficient adults in the world.

Start 'em early enough and they will grow to like it. I would start about 7yrs old, maybe earlier if the instructor says ok.
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 7:08:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does he want to do it?

This is a good point.  All I can do is try to get him interested in it.  If he is like his old man, he will like it, especailly the weapons (kobudo).  What I am hoping to do is get him interested in the most practical martial art out there.  I need to know that I have equipped him with the ability to defend himself, and others that he may want to

What is BJJ?  Brazilian ?

Yeah Brazil Jiu Jitsu.

Link Posted: 6/1/2012 7:15:58 PM EDT
[#22]
The wrestling we did in high school is almost useless for a real fight because it was made into a "civilized sport" rather than a combative. Judo is the sport version of jujitsu, I would start the kid out with judo then move onto jujitsu when he gets older.

Tae Kwon Do is a very good martial art for children that need a good foundation in how to kick. But I would move the child onto kickboxing when he is about 15yrs.
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 7:18:18 PM EDT
[#23]
My boy will be five at the end of the month.  He just started a Karate program that the school district puts on.  The guy who teaches it is pretty good...says he got his belt from non other than Chuck Norris.  I really don't care...he's good with the kids and instills respect, discipline, and confidence in them.

Link Posted: 6/1/2012 7:24:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Aikido

+1 for aikido
He's ready when he can hold still for 60 seconds, without fidgeting.
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 7:27:45 PM EDT
[#25]
I would aim more towards wrestling, TKD or karate.

Instill the discipline, and hardwork, IMO, that's about all you can hope for at young ages.  Also a BIG +1 on the "does he want to do it?".  I would avoid boxing, ju jitsu, akido, and similar arts until he's older.  Self control comes into play and I'd also be worried about joint injuries.  Kids will be kids and I'm not sure that's knowledge I'd use in a smart way when I was younger....
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 7:28:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Poll added - this is serious stuff -

What about a girl aged 6? What should she take?
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 7:28:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Plain old Wrestling or Judo are good building blocks.  Most everyone has made good suggestions though you really can not go wrong with Hapkido, Aikido, or BJJ.
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 7:29:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My son is four now, and will be five in January.

I want to start him off as soon as is prudent in some form of martial art.  I was thinking Tae Kwon Do, as I took Kenpo and Kempo as a young lad, and though I liked it, I don't think they were/are practical in terms of school bullies and street thugs.  The reason I say that is because I had a friend who was a higher belt in Tae Kwon Do, and he kicked the shit out of a huge bully in high school.  On the other hand, a brown belt in my dojo at the time (Fred Villari's) also kicked the shit out of another bully in high school.  Guess i really don't know what my son should take, but the katas and such that I had to do were a joke.  Maybe kick boxing is the way to go.

My question is what does the hive think is a good age to start, and what/which form?  Thanks.

Krav Maga

Link Posted: 6/1/2012 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Judo, it is awesome watching your little girl throw guys double her size.
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 7:31:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Skateboarding.
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 7:32:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Anything fun. He may get sick of it and decide to play baseball or whatever instead.  Nothing serious or with lots of contact. Chamces are, hes not going to be an MMA fighter by age 18.  Sweep the leg Mister Lawrence.
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 7:34:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Tae Kwon Do so she learns how to kick.
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 7:35:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you really want to see your 4 year old get punched in the face repetitively. I boxed for several years and my mom cried at every one of my matches.

LOL, yes, nothing is cooler than seeing your kid take a punch and giving them back.  I remember my learning my first lessons, I remember teaching my first lessons, best time a father and son could have.

I don't have a high opinion on the kiddy karate daycares.
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 7:39:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Krav maga/escrima/kajukenbo

Hell rarely get attacked by people holding boards or wearing spandex/ sponsor geat

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 7:40:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Wrestling
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 7:40:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Judo or wrestling.  Gross motor movements.  They need to learn balance and how their body moves.  As they become more confident and proficient, move them on to jiujitsu and more complex grappling.  When they begin to develop goo coordination and strength, move on to striking.  After just one year of wrestling, my son could stand his ground with just about any kid at school except for the better wrestlers who also happened to be his friends.
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 7:54:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Judo is the sport version of jujitsu....

No, Sport Jiu-Jitsu, like the ongoing The World Jiu-Jitsu Championship (Mundials), is the sport version of Jiu-Jitsu.
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 7:54:21 PM EDT
[#38]
A kids BJJ class or Judo. Or even a free style kids wrestling program. Nothing as awesome as watching an undersize, "wimpy" kid roll up bigger
stronger kids like its nothing lol. IME, BJJ and Judo, for students with consistency and dedication, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu becomes a life-style and where they can readily enjoy all the benefits of the “Gentle Art” of Jiu-Jitsu.

If you PM the city your in I can give you an idea of the closest and best schools around you.

This is what I think of when I think of kids and martial arts lol........

Professora Miriam Cardoso and her kids squad of yutes.

An acquaintance of mine, Cindy Hales and her crew of lil beast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZpRA1hoWvHc#t=53s

Link Posted: 6/1/2012 7:59:57 PM EDT
[#39]
boxing or wrestling

Link Posted: 6/1/2012 8:02:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tae Kwon Do so she learns how to kick.

Thai Boxing>Kyokushin  Karate>Take My Do mc'dojo black belt factory TKD IMO hehehehe

http://youtu.be/ZIxPPEYeJAg

This little girl is going to grow up and be a KILLER lol
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 8:06:07 PM EDT
[#41]
I started tae kwon do at 11.  I them went on to study 12 other martial arts over the years.  I say start him in any of them, and then study all of them if if enjoys it :)
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 8:06:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Shotokan, the main Japanese system.  OR wrestling.  My kids did both.
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 8:08:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I misread. I thought it said 14.
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 8:09:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The wrestling we did in high school is almost useless for a real fight because it was made into a "civilized sport" rather than a combative. Judo is the sport version of jujitsu, I would start the kid out with judo then move onto jujitsu when he gets older.

Tae Kwon Do is a very good martial art for children that need a good foundation in how to kick. But I would move the child onto kickboxing when he is about 15yrs.

Ughhhhhh, no, on both statements lol. For one BJJ/GJJ came from Judo, not the other way around.
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 8:12:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Judo is the sport version of jujitsu....

No, Sport Jiu-Jitsu, like the ongoing The World Jiu-Jitsu Championship (Mundials), is the sport version of Jiu-Jitsu.

Pretty pissed that budovids is charging this year to watch the Mudials online. I know their coverage is alot better this time around but still pissed me off.
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 8:13:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
A kids BJJ class or Judo. Or even a free style kids wrestling program. Nothing as awesome as watching an undersize, "wimpy" kid roll up bigger
stronger kids like its nothing lol. IME, BJJ and Judo, for students with consistency and dedication, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu becomes a life-style and where they can readily enjoy all the benefits of the “Gentle Art” of Jiu-Jitsu.

If you PM the city your in I can give you an idea of the closest and best schools around you.

This is what I think of when I think of kids and martial arts lol........

Professora Miriam Cardoso and her kids squad of yutes.

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/535394_354897391234254_250518261672168_66717732_884206333_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-photos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/400263_2257051964544_1795727112_1360269_215610095_a.jpg

An acquaintance of mine, Cindy Hales and her crew of lil beast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZpRA1hoWvHc#t=53s

This, or add wrestling to the list. The dynamics of grappling will stay with him for the rest of his life, and be useful for many other martial arts.

ETA: I had to quit BJJ when I got married and went back to school a few years  ago. Now my boy is 3, and I love wrestling him. I squish him and he laughs and giggles while I tell him how to squirm to the dominant position. I'll wait a couple more years, then find a nice gym with a good kids program to get him into.

ETA2: If he wants to get into striking, thats cool too, but needs to be his choice. I'd wait till he's in high school at least. Don't do Tae Kwan Do.

Link Posted: 6/1/2012 8:26:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Gracie Jui Jitsu, specifically the Bullie Proof program they have for young children.
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 8:27:39 PM EDT
[#48]
my boy went into ATA TKD at 5yo.  I'm trying to have him progress slowly through the ranks, He's been in 9mo or so and just got Yellow, but there are some in his group that test every chance and of course get confirmed. (Gotta black belt by 10yo!)  How you gonna say no to a cute little kid in a dobok

my 9yo daughter is in Ballet & actually has great kicking/ punching form, going to sign her up this summer so she can learn how to crush an adams apple while performing an Arabesque.
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 8:34:59 PM EDT
[#49]
My oldest son is 7 he started formal wrestling at 5. In 2 years he has had 62 matchs. i will tell you what wrestling develops the desire to win, never give up, and aggression. When it comes to aggression and intensity its not even close. Which can be a double edge sword he gets upset when he is not first or isn't the best at trivial things.
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 8:37:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That also worries me somewhat. My nephew just got his black belt at age 10.  I know that will help him against school bullies now - but what about in high school?  I guess if he keeps it up.  Guess the real point is that if you get your black belt at age 10, it isn't worth that much - ?

I want my son to be able to crush bullies.  He has to wear glasses, so I know he will be picked on unmercifully -

It doesnt stop at black belt. In fact his real training has just begun.

Also I would choose aikido or hapkido.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top