Site Notices
10/30/2014 3:55:04 PM
Author
Posted: 5/31/2012 1:56:27 PM
Walmart Ends relationship with conservative advocacy group

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/31/walmart-alec-membership_n_1558833.html

ROGERS, Ark., May 31 (Reuters) - Wal-Mart Stores Inc , the world's No. 1 retailer and the biggest seller of firearms in the United States, is dropping out of a U.S. conservative advocacy group that has been a lightning rod over voting and gun laws.

Wal-Mart said late Wednesday it is suspending membership in the American Legislative Council (ALEC), which the retailer joined in 1993.

ALEC sparked controversy recently because of its involvement in voting laws and in "stand your ground" gun laws, including the one under scrutiny in the Florida killing of unarmed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin in February.

A coalition of liberal advocates targeted the group for its support of the self-defense laws.
But....we need to borrow more money to make the money easier to pay back!
RolandBozz
Mr. McGibblets
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/31/2012 2:02:58 PM
Wal-Mart is so powerful that nobody or even one single (shit not even a dozen) activist group could hurt their business
millfire517
Pork eating crusader
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/31/2012 2:05:13 PM
Fuck em, I never shop there anyway.
"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
Thomas Jefferson
shooter69
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/31/2012 2:47:25 PM
Businesses shouldn't have to be in bed with political groups. The problem is they all kowtow to certain segments of our population while ignoring the majority of the population.

Walmart's bread and butter is conservative America (while the liberals are actively trying to stop them from opening stores, etc, etc). Don't go overboard, Walmart, to appease a bunch of complainers who were never your customers to begin with.
BigeasySnow
Fat, promiscuous and pasty!
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/31/2012 2:51:18 PM
Businesses should only be part of groups that make business sense to them. Walmart is about shopping, I don't expect them to help with politics or rights except their own.
Look, if I can't put everyone into little boxes and then blindly apply my feelings about those boxes to the people I put in them, how am I supposed to know who I can look down on? -- Snips