Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/27/2012 6:50:53 PM EDT
My wife watches that American Gypsy stuff on TLC about the Irish Travelers.  They always seem to have huge houses and lots of money to spend, especially on parties and bling.  Do they get it all from ripping off people?  They seem to take in a lot to afford some of those really nice houses they show on TV.
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 7:03:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Ripping people off and getting paid cash. They "sealed" my grandparents roof with gasoline mixed with silver paint and patched the driveway everytime they came through town, They also put on (poorly) the cheapest grade of plastic siding I have ever seen.. My Granddad could never pass up a deal. They had to be on some mark list.
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 7:04:35 PM EDT
[#2]
They get their money from people too dumb to know not to deal with them.

Link Posted: 5/27/2012 7:07:08 PM EDT
[#3]
and their daughters dress like ho's
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 7:08:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Pics please.
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 7:09:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Their men have crappy contacting gigs/scams, their women shoplift on an industrial scale.

They look at the US population as sheep to fleece.

Link Posted: 5/27/2012 7:09:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Just because they can't afford enough fabric for a real dress....

Link Posted: 5/27/2012 7:19:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Theft and scams. They live for free on other people land, illegally tap in to water and power, etc.
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 7:21:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I watched that show twice and I could not believe that I saw.

That one episode with the 14 year old getting Married was just to much

Link Posted: 5/27/2012 7:22:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I like dags.
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 9:22:01 PM EDT
[#10]
They also play the welfare and social security game for all they can.
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 9:24:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Ripping off old people, selling stolen and or shoddy goods, theft, squatting, and of course never paying taxes. They are fucking born and bred scum.
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 9:26:15 PM EDT
[#12]
My view on Gypsies and Travelers, given that they are technically ethnic minorities, is nothing but a long-winded COC violation.

Link Posted: 5/27/2012 9:28:38 PM EDT
[#13]
A group of them got busted in Central FL by stealing so many goods from stores they converted residential homes into storage and distribution centers. Imagine a basic 3/2 home filled from floor to ceiling with everything a Walmart has inside.

Link Posted: 5/27/2012 9:34:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll just +1 to what others have said.  SCUM.

Here's one though that Texas took care of.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/irish-traveller-to-die-behind-bars-after-one-scam-too-many-124307.html

"Last Monday, after hearing evidence that Rickey Allen Daugherty, a member
of an Irish Traveller group, had duped an 80-year-old woman out of
$12,000 for a con repair job to the guttering on her house, a jury
sentenced him to life imprisonment. Under Texas law, Daugherty, 58, will
die in prison."

"Even by Texas standards, which has the most severe sentencing
record and highest death penalty rulings of any US state, Daugherty's
sentence was harsh. It reflects the anger at the systematic scamming of
lonely, elderly people by cruel professional con artists like Daugherty.

It took the Harris County jury just 18 minutes to send
Daugherty away to prison for the rest of his natural life after hearing
he had conned two elderly women, convincing both that they needed urgent
repairs to their houses"

"The case again drew attention to the activities and culture of the
'Irish Traveller' community in the US. In 2002, Madelyne Gorman Toogood
became infamous when CCTV pictures of her repeatedly punching her
four-year-old daughter in the back seat of her car were broadcast across
America.

Toogood was said to have been infuriated with the child after a failed shoplifting expedition."

Link Posted: 5/27/2012 9:39:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

"Last Monday, after hearing evidence that Rickey Allen Daugherty, a member of an Irish Traveller group, had duped an 80-year-old woman out of $12,000 for a con repair job to the guttering on her house, a jury sentenced him to life imprisonment. Under Texas law, Daugherty, 58, will die in prison."

Link Posted: 5/27/2012 9:47:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 9:49:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

"Last Monday, after hearing evidence that Rickey Allen Daugherty, a member of an Irish Traveller group, had duped an 80-year-old woman out of $12,000 for a con repair job to the guttering on her house, a jury sentenced him to life imprisonment. Under Texas law, Daugherty, 58, will die in prison."

Should have hanged the scumbag but life in prison will have to do.  thieves who prey on old folks should die.
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 9:51:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My wife watches that American Gypsy stuff on TLC about the Irish Travelers. They always seem to have huge houses and lots of money to spend, especially on parties and bling

I've watched those shows and none of them had huge houses. The one guy who was supposedly a well known  and well off traveler bare knuckle fighter had a so-so house and his son lived in a shitty camper in the driveway.
The "parties" they threw were downright white trash poverty level. If you think those people are living it up from what you saw on those shows then you've got problems.
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 9:54:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Is it 1912?  Are we going back to hating the Irish?
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 9:55:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/27/2012 9:58:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Yes, you've summarized the thread exactly.  Good job.

Link Posted: 5/27/2012 9:58:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Anyone see the movie (or read the book) Thinner by Stephen King?
Actually he used the name Richard Bachman.

Anyway it is very good.
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 9:58:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Nothing Irish about them.

Link Posted: 5/27/2012 10:06:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Anyone in this thread need to watch "knuckles" on Netflix.

Pikeys.
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 10:10:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 10:11:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This I <3 Texas!
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 10:17:21 PM EDT
[#27]
My first year on the road I worked a case involving one. He came into the area, first offering to do home improvement jobs, then drove around the county doing shoddy/shitty odd jobs. Went to some mountain communities and sharpened knives in some of the restaraunts and tried to sell them out of date kitchen supplies. Guy finally took a moving van from a local storage place in town, told them he was going to rent a storage unit (use of the van was free if you rented a unit), used a fake name, stolen card number, and took off with the van. The van was recovered in SLC about 6 weeks later.

They are opportunistic scum.
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 10:30:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My view on Gypsies and Travelers, given that they are technically ethnic minorities, is nothing but a long-winded COC violation.

Ha, no.

Not ethnic minorities. Not the Irish ones anyways. In Ireland they like to pretend they are though. They refer to the rest of us as the white settled community.
They arnt to be trusted for any sort of financial agreement.
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 11:18:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 3:56:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My wife watches that American Gypsy stuff on TLC about the Irish Travelers. They always seem to have huge houses and lots of money to spend, especially on parties and bling

I've watched those shows and none of them had huge houses. The one guy who was supposedly a well known  and well off traveler bare knuckle fighter had a so-so house and his son lived in a shitty camper in the driveway.
The "parties" they threw were downright white trash poverty level. If you think those people are living it up from what you saw on those shows then you've got problems.

They do live well, don't doubt that for a second, it looks like a carshow in the camp on a warm winter afternoon. Of course what you see on TV isn't much, they are extremely secretive, and whatever they do on TV is a put on, done strictly for to give the camera crew exactly what they want.

I was just referring to what was on the shows.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 4:12:14 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Going Back?

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 4:16:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Their men have crappy contacting gigs/scams, their women shoplift on an industrial scale.

They look at the US population as sheep to fleece.

The houses? Some are as nice as they look, most aren't. I have actually worked in Murphy Village, it is across the river from Augusta in Clearwater, SC, which is just off I-20. Many of the houses in the camp look very nice and luxurious from the highway, but when you go in you realize that it is an older double wide with a brick facade built all the way around it, I am not shitting. They have other strange customs with the houses, some of the largest most opulent houses have never been lived in, they build them and let them stand empty for a while to make sure there are no spirits, and sometimes they don't believe that the spirits have left, and they won't move in until they are sure it is spirit free, which can take years.

I've often wondered about those people and their houses.  I drive through there almost daily on Highway 25.

Someone had told me once that it was a community of scam artists, but I always took it with a grain of salt due to the Catholic Church in the center of the community.  I also noticed that nearly every single house has a religious statue, or shrine of some sort in the front yard.

I thought they were simply some well off religious people.  Glad you cleared that up.

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 4:18:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It's the Irish Al Sharpton.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 4:28:24 AM EDT
[#34]
The only run-in I had with a Irish traveler was a good one. I used to drag race a lot at the local track when I was younger and they would frequent the place. I was 16 or 17 and shredded a fan belt, didn't have a spare because I was racing on a shoestring budget with my every day driver. I walked the pit looking for a belt, last stop was the pikeys, they had one. I offered them the last $20 I had and they gave it to me for free.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 4:37:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

What i was thinking.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 4:39:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 4:41:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's the Irish Al Sharpton.

....you would think if its such a known racket one of the fed agencies would love to get involved. i mean like they did with david koresh in texas.

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 4:53:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha, no.

Not ethnic minorities. Not the Irish ones anyways. In Ireland they like to pretend they are though. They refer to the rest of us as the white settled community.

Yep, these people are really odd - hard to say exactly what they are or even where they really came from given their wandering.   When I was younger I worked retail and the regional VP had a meeting about "gypsy" shoplifters.  I thought it was all bunk until they hit our store.  Came in like a pack of locusts, their MO was to have a few people create distractions and keep the employees busy while the rest stuffed everything they could grab into their coats.  I've seen plenty of shoplifters but this was unreal.  The only thing you can really do is have every employee on duty follow them around so they know they're being watched - but you can't watch them all.  They never returned (afaik) so I guess they got the message but it would have been very easy for them to get away undetected had we not just had the security meeting.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 4:54:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The Irish dont even like Travelers.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 4:59:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha, no.

This ! Scumbag con artist. Was assigned a Roma client once that tried to con me even after I explained that I knew how the con worked and that he bigger problems than making a quick buck of somebody assigned to help him.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 5:12:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Some insight into Traveller scams:

http://www.weitzlux.com/interest/news/scamartist_1171.html

Wow,that's one hell of a scam.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 5:58:50 AM EDT
[#42]
In my neck of the woods we see the Scottish Travelers -  "Terrible" Williamsons are their name.   How are they related to the Irish travelers in S.C. ?

They puill the same scams and often will confuse the elderly  people by entering their houses in pairs.  While one is writing up a quote to seal the driveway or coat the roof, etc.  and thus distracting the elderly homeowner,  the other is stealing everything he can find by going through draws in the bedrooms,   They  often get the elderly homeowner to pay $5K for roof repairs that were never needed and really never done.

About once a year the local police put out an alert  for these criminals.  - Police say to call them if  two guys in late model pickup trucks with caps , ladders,  and SC tags knock on your door.

I have no tolerence for these scam artists preyng on the Elderly.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 5:59:58 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pics please.

yeah some of them are fucking hot, but real trailer trash

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 6:31:13 AM EDT
[#44]
The "people" on those shows are real life Jersey Shore douchebags

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 6:40:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
They look at the US population everyone who isn't Roma as sheep to fleece.

FIFY
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 6:43:16 AM EDT
[#46]
the movie was pretty good.  explains their culture too.

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 6:43:20 AM EDT
[#47]
By selling Dags...

Aviator
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 6:46:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Goddamn Micks.  Well, at least they're better than the guineas and the Polacks!

Everyone gets their turn in the barrel at some point.

Some groups, like the Roma, ask for it.  Nobody hates the Roma just because a distant ancestor tripped over a root and blamed the first person he saw.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 6:48:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Like all strains of gypsies, they're fucking criminals.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 6:51:21 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Ever talk with any of them? You can be talking to 19 and 20 year olds from Texas, and they all speak with an Irish brogue.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top