Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 8:10:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Read Charles MacDonald's Company Commander and George Wilson's If You Survive and then Michael Doubler's Closing With the Enemy.   The first two books are by infantry company commanders and the latter by a post war Army officer who did extensive research into the war.  Afterward get back to us.
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 8:13:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
As a general rule of thumb, a German unit was about 1.5 times more effective than a UK or US unit. That says nothing about the bravery of the US soldiers, but simply reflects the fact that the Germans were very, very good at the tactical level while the US army was inexperienced.

It says they were some ballsy motherfuckers.

I forgot where I got the numbers, hell I don't even remember the numbers, but the numbers from WWII infantry units who actually pulled the trigger and engaged the enemy vs. those who simply couldn't always amazed me.
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 8:14:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
the garand outclassed by 1944.  

By what, in sufficient numbers to matter?
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 44 was a much better weapon at that point, and they did make a lot them.  and the MG 34/42 outclassed the 1919 at every level.  155WP renders taht problem insignificant, however.
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 8:16:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 44 was a much better weapon at that point, and they did make a lot them.  and the MG 34/42 outclassed the 1919 at every level.  155WP renders taht problem insignificant, however.

Oh the 1919 was outclassed well before 1944.
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 8:16:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I talked to quite a few WWII Vets. Most of them said that man for man: the Germans and the Japanese were better soldiers.
However we completely overwhelmed them with firepower.
In terms of Generals: the Germans had better Generals. On the other hand (sorry Yamamoto) our Admirals were better at warfare
than the Japanese.
One thing for sure: our Code Breakers combined with the Brits had both the Germans and the Japanese completely whipped.
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 8:17:28 PM EDT
[#7]
frankly, the m1 carbine was probably the better weapon.
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 8:18:02 PM EDT
[#8]
My Grandfather served in the 4th Infantry division, if he were still alive he would disagree.

He might have had a leg up over some though, he had enlisted 2 years before the war started.
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 8:21:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I keep reading this, in book after book.  Other than Rangers, Airborne Troops, and some "elite" infantry divisions, like the 1st, US Infantry was simply not very good.

The Air Corps, Armor, Artillery and Technical Services got the good men.  The Infantry got the duds.

Is this close to reality?  In anything close to an even match, the Germans simply trounced US Infantry?

The Srmy in WW11 was a good, hard fighting group. As were the Marines, Nay and USAF.

The Army fought well.  

Link Posted: 5/27/2012 8:31:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
As a general rule of thumb, a German unit was about 1.5 times more effective than a UK or US unit. That says nothing about the bravery of the US soldiers, but simply reflects the fact that the Germans were very, very good at the tactical level while the US army was inexperienced.

I forgot where I got the numbers, hell I don't even remember the numbers, but the numbers from WWII infantry units who actually pulled the trigger and engaged the enemy vs. those who simply couldn't always amazed me.

SLA Marshall

and it  has been considered BS for a while now.

the US army was poor when it landed in Africa.   the kasserine pass is a good example.  it would have been worse had a division artillery commander not masses artillery to stop the germans

they of course learned an impoved over time.
because of the replacement system a lot of un trained troops got sent to europe. some didnt live 3 days

the 29th was called the 3 division devision  1 on the field, one in the hospital and one in the grave

the policy of quickly  throwing troops into europe with no training got worse  during the bulge and after.  few vets from june 44 saw the end of the war or made  it into germany in 45.

the US army adn air corps developing  combined arms and working with  each other  to support  infantry was a huge factor. no one else had the ability for ground troops to talk direct to air support and to tank crews at the time. and of course the armys rquipment just got better and more plentiful  but still a little too late for winter operations

when givin a chance to stay alive and get experience the US army was the best in europe.
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 8:32:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Other than at Kasserine, and I think it was the 36th infantry(not positive) who surrendered pretty much en masse at the beginning of the Ardennes campaign, they gave as good as they got. There were obviously some exceptions, for instance when US infantry units first tried on Fallschirmjager troops. But even then they usually regrouped and thumped them.

I believe you are thinking of the 106th, and you might appreciate some background of what actually happened.

The106th HELD IN PLACE so long they got surrounded, then the 423rd Regiment, out of mortar ammo, no machineguns, little bazooka ammo, and no artillery support attacked Schonberg. The 422nd, like wise out of heavy weapons and artillery support also attacked Schonberg but ran into armor and got pasted.

From the US Army's Green Book series volume on Ardennes:

By this time the 423d was going it alone, for all attempts to reach the sister regiment had failed. During the night the regiment pulled itself together in some semblance of order along Ridge 536, just southeast of Schonberg. Losses had been high- some 300 casualties (including 16 officers). No more rounds were left for the 81-mm. mortars, most of the machine guns were gone, there was little bazooka ammunition, and rifle clips were low.
T h e423dstillwasattempting to form for the attack, when, an hour or so after dawn on 19 December, German field pieces along the Bleialf-Schönberg road opened fire, sweeping the southeastern slope of Ridge 536. Soon the shelling ceased and the enemy infantry closed in, overrunning the 590th Field Artillery Battalion and other heterogeneous units which had been moving in the rear of the rifle battalions. Despite this blow Lt. Col. Earl F. Klinck’s 3d Battalion jumped off in good order at 1000. One company was cut off and captured, but two rifle companies reached the environs of Schonberg, then had to retire in a storm of antiaircraft fire. The 1st Battal- ion was able to put one company in the advance, but by midafternoon it was eliminated. When brought forward on the right the 2d Battalion became sepa- rated and was subjected to fire from the 422d Infantry, then about 400 yards to the north. At last, with tactical control gone, only five to ten rifle rounds per man, no supporting weapons, and an in- creasing number of wounded untended (despite yeoman effort by the regimental surgeon, Maj. Gaylord D. Fridline, and his staff), the commander of the 423d Infantry surrendered his regiment. The time was about 1630.

the 422d acted as promptly as possible when the division order was received on the following morning. Colonel Desche- neaux, acting in concert with the 423d, ordered an advance in column of battal- ions, the axis to the northwest in the direction of Schonberg. Excess equip- ment was destroyed, the wounded were left with an aid man, the regimental can- non company fired its last smoke rounds into Auw (as a slight deterrent to enemy observers),then spiked the pieces. In two columns–onemadeu poffoottroops lugging all portable weapons, the other made up of regimental vehicles–the movement encountered nothing but small groups of the enemy. Reconnais- sance had been confined to the map, al-though the I and K Platoon was used as point during the march, and when the two columns reassembled at dusk the 422d was lost. A wood had been selected on the map as a suitable assembly area from which to launch a co-ordinated attack against Schonberg, this about one and a half miles from the village. In fact, however, the regiment had bivouacked northeast of Oberlascheid in a wood about three miles from its objective- nor apparently was anyone the wiser.
During the early evening the I and R Platoon reported that contact had been madewiththeneighboringregiment, which intended to attack Schonberg. No further liaison was made. While gunfire sounded off to the west and northwest the rifle battalions marched through the darkness to three smaller woods, prepara- tory for an attack at daylight on the 19th. T h e dispositionsnowtakenwerefarther to the north, facing the Bleialf-Auw road, with the battalions deployed so that the 1st Battalion was farthest north, the 2d Battalion in the center, and the 3d Battalion on the south. At daybreak the three battalions moved out abreast, ad- vancing in approach march formation towardtheobjective–Schönberg–be– lieved to be little more than a mile distant.T h eleadingtroopswerejust crossing the Bleialf-Auwroad when they were hit by machine gun and tank fire coming from the north. At this point the road curved to the east, and the enemy apparently had taken a position in woods north of the bend which allowed him to enfiladethestraightway. T h e 1stBattal- ion commander ordered his men to turn back from the road and move southward. In the meantime the 2d and 3d Battal- ions had jumped off, but at the road their lead companies also came under severe frontal and flanking fire. But finally it was fire superiority in the hands of the enemy which checked further movement. About 1400, tanks were heard approaching from the north. In a last desperate flare of optimism the Americans thought that these were friendly tanks–but they were not. By a stroke of ill fortune the Fuehrer Begleit Brigade had been ordered forward to supporttheL X V ICorpsattackonSt. Vith. En route from Auw to Schonberg, the panzers arrived at the fork where the road split toward Schonberg and Bleialf just in time to give the coup-de- grâce. The tanks rolled through the bat- talions on the right while the German infantry poured in from the woods. At 1430 the regimental commander decided to surrender that part of his regiment which was disorganized and entrapped.
After negotiations to determine that the Germans would feed the Americans and provide care for the wounded, the sur- render was completed about 1600.

A group of about 400, however, were reorganized by the 2d Battalion execu- tive officer (Maj. Albert A. Ouellette) in the woods which had been the 2d Battalion assembly area. This group at- tempted to move southwest the follow- ing day, but it too was surrounded. After destroying weapons and equipment Oue- llette’s people surrendered on the morn- ing of 2 1 December. Another band, representing most of the vehicular col- umn, had attempted to break out through Bleialf on the late afternoon of
19 December but was halted by a mine field at the edge of the village, sur- rounded, and forced to capitulate. Not more than 150 men of the 422d Infantry succeeded in escaping to the American lines.
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 8:44:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I seen it written as where the German infantryman was to support the machine gun, the US infantryman was there to support the FO.

I think very true.  Look at the difference in equipment too.  The Germans were big into the GPMG concept, look at the MG-34 or MG-42.  You can put it on a nice, stable ground mount, pop optics on it, and use it like a heavy MG.  You can feed it from a belt in a box and move it around with the other troops like a medium MG, or you can stick a drum on it and use it in an assault.  Hell you can fire the damn thing standing.

Then compare that to US machine guns of the era.  The German infantryman was there to support the machine gun, while the US machine gun was there to support the infantry.

As for the actual quality of the troops, if you had said "So in general, Soviet Infantry Sucked Balls in WWII And Failed At Life?" I would have agreed with you.  After all, the Soviet tactic was basically to throw corpses into the German meat grinder until it reached it's pre-set kill limit.  It's too bad the Wehrmacht couldn't slaughter them all, that would have saved us some trouble later on.  Patton was right, but I digress...

I think I would agree that early on, our guys were not as good.  But the thing is that we did something that the Japanese and the Russians apparently didn't.  We LEARNED god damn it!  We had a fucking score to settle and we weren't going to consider it even until we were tired of kicking their asses, no matter how many times we got our nose bloodied we were going to do it, and it seems to me like we did it god damn it!  Were the Germans better at first?  Oh yhea.  Were they a very tough opponent until the bitter end?  Yes.  Did they have better gear?  Sometimes.  But we still beat them.

And where the hell did you come up with this bullshit?  You know this kind of bullshit is why people think we lost the war in Vietnam, you know, that one where we showed up and kicked the shit out of the enemy while our news media became a communist propaganda machine?  The one where we killed so many of our enemy that they had to wait two freaking years after we left before they could do anything and then people started running around declaring defeat?

Oh and you bring this up NOW?  TODAY?
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 8:49:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What a shitty thread to start this weekend.

I try to look at threads like this as being a glass half full.  The facts always get chased out eventually, and I always learn something, even if the topic may be a bit of a cage rattler.    There are many ways to start a debate for the sake of hashing out a subject, in this case he took the Negative instead of the Affirmative.  

EDIT:  On behalf of my relative that was a glider pilot in WWII and fought from Normandy to Germany, I would say the American Infantry kicked German ass!!    All bravado aside, this thread caught my interest for the more cognitive and well explained counter responses from the crew here.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 9:05:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As individual weapons, the Garand was outclassed by 1943.  The G43 would have certainly been a competitor, and the MP-43 (later MP-44, and later still StG-44) would definitely outclass the Garand.

But like you said, none were made in sufficient enough matters to number.  Even though they did make a bunch of the StG-44s, they still had plenty of troops running around with K-98s.  We could at least afford to give everybody some kind of self-loading primary weapon.

...Even if our grenadiers would probably have been better off carrying a 1903.
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 9:12:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
They were a bunch of 18yo with not much training.

I read that the average age was actually late-20s.

True.  The average age of the WWII soldier was 26.  Vietnam was like 19 or 20.  Google it.

LC
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 9:26:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In WW2, average age of U.S. infantry was 25.

In Vietnam, it was 19.

Nice song; Propaganda though.
Average was more like 23.
Oh and go listen to the song backwards. "Oh I wish it was over"
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 9:28:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In WW2, the average age of the combat soldier was 26.

In Vietnam, he was 19.

Nininininininininin Nineteen, 19, Ni-nineteen 19

Or at least that is how I remember the lyrics......
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 9:44:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What a shitty thread to start this weekend.

This qoute was found in the Diary of one of those superior German Officers killed in action......

"American parachutists...devils in baggy pants...are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere..."
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 9:48:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

My GrandDad said it was Crap
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 10:02:01 PM EDT
[#20]
First of all, one thing should be made clear:  US Army (and, I would argue Marine as well, though it was not tested) infantry doctrine was flawed at almost every levl, except operationally.  

At the tactical level, US troops had too few MGs and mortars, unweildly squads (though here I understand that many units re-organized informally) and training that while technically sound, neglected initiative.  
There was no serious effort to instill unit cohesion (and in fact decisions made higher up made this pointless anyway), nor any attempt to integrate the infantry with the other branches.  

Strategically, the biggest issue was the "90 Division Gamble" which essentially meant that infantry divisions in the ETO were rarely pulled out of the line, and new units (like the 106th, for example) were needed to man 'quiet' sectors of the front instead of 'shaking out'.  The replacement system, which really was the only option given the Gamble and horrible allocation of divisions (far too many sat in the Pacific) was also not terribly well thought-out, and even today the US Army has a basically dysfunctional replacement system.  To put the cherry on top, until late 44 the infantry had literally the last pick of draftees, and even most of the brighter officers were sent to support and aviation slots.  Finally, divisions in the US were continually stripped of cadre to form the newer divisions and make up for the shortfall in infantry replacements that the Army hadn't anticipated, further reducing cohesion and meaning that all the well-trained soldiers were thrown into brand new units already in combat, while the newer divisions were usually only filled up right as they shipped and given no change to gel.  

Luckily for the Allies, the US Army went to war in 1941 with the concious decision to sacrifice some things for others:  we would have LOTS of tanks, artillery and trucks, and a logistical system that would stand the strain of trans-oceanic fighting.  The US Army also determined that no effort would be spared to ensure that at the very least, no enemy would have air superiority over US troops, and this at least worked out pretty good for us.

Basically, considering the instituional handicaps they dealt with, the US infantry fought quite a bit better than we have any right to expect, and I for one am still amazed at how well the Category IV 'dropouts' thrown into the infantry managed to fight (and win) some extremely tough battles (see Mortain, for example, or the Vosges campaign).
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 10:38:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In Vietnam, it was 19.

Average age of 58,148 killed in Vietnam was 23.11 years
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 11:10:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Much of traditional WWII history is mediocre at best; quite often it's just badly thought out, badly researched, and badly written.
Max Hastings is a cut above the rest. Instead of servicing comfortable myths and politically correct Hollywood narratives he makes probing questions that make many feel uncomfortable.
Hastings is what a true revisionist historian should be like. He leaves the traditional comfort zone and tries to deepen our understanding of that complicated and disjointed conflict that WWII essentially was.
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 11:24:02 PM EDT
[#23]

It is the Generals and the Admirals who left America bent over with our black cherry exposed to the Japanese on December 7, 1941.    

Link Posted: 5/27/2012 11:46:32 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In Vietnam, it was 19.

Average age of 58,148 killed in Vietnam was 23.11 years

He is quoting a song from the 80s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byCCmBwRjGw

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 1:27:33 AM EDT
[#25]
I know the 32nd NG Div had a hard time at Buna-Gona. But you cant judge troops only after one barney. They were rushed to the Pacific very unprepared. Their story is a sad frustrating one, and when one considers all the adversity piled against them..well they did pretty well in the end. I recommend reading up on the poor bloody 32nd. The wiki is a good start. The Kapa Kapa Trail - wow. To go through that, then have to fight 6 thousand entrenched Japs, with only 1 artillery piece in support. Amazing really.
Most people think of the bigger, later battles when thinking ww2. Not many think of the troops thrown into the fray at the start, unprepared, with no intel, and megalomaniacs like MacArthur throwing them into battle with little regard for casualties.

But we Aussies sure appreciate the efforts of the 32nd.

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 1:48:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
How much time did they give them in boot before shipping to the front?

I think we did pretty well, We did win after all.
They are still the best Generation.
You better remember them tomorrow.

They were not a bunch of 18 year olds. The avg age was much higher.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 1:52:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on the year and the theater.

Pacific
41/early 42- green and ill equiped

Late 42- army didn't fight much

43- green but well equiped

44- good

45- very good

Europe

late 42- green and well equiped but with early equipment

43- getting better, a few units quite good, but most still pretty green

44- getting even better in Italy with better equipment,

Late 44- France invasion troops were very well trained but without experience in many cases, best equipment of the war

45- arguably the best trained, equipped and led Army of the world with lots of combat experience.  

My Grandfather was Army during the Pacific champagne and was in from 1942 till 1945, I think his record stands.

They gave bubbly?
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 2:23:30 AM EDT
[#28]
"I do not have to tell you who won the war. You know, the artillery did" and "the poorer the quality of the troops, the more artillery they need. American troops need a lot of artillery." General George S. Patton,

"The speed, accuracy and devastating power of American artillery won confidence and admiration from the troops it supported and inspired fear and respect in their enemy" -Gen Dwight D. Eisenhower

"In many situations that seemed desperate, the artillery has been a most vital factor" Gen Douglas Macarthur
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 2:27:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

As for the actual quality of the troops, if you had said "So in general, Soviet Infantry Sucked Balls in WWII And Failed At Life?" I would have agreed with you.  After all, the Soviet tactic was basically to throw corpses into the German meat grinder until it reached it's pre-set kill limit.  

The first year of the war that would have been correct, but by 1942 the Soviet infantry was very good, The Germans rated them much better than the US.  They particularly impressed by what Von Mellenthin as the Russian Ant Tactic, in which over days of individual infiltration who regiments would appear within the German defensive lines.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 2:52:09 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As for the actual quality of the troops, if you had said "So in general, Soviet Infantry Sucked Balls in WWII And Failed At Life?" I would have agreed with you.  After all, the Soviet tactic was basically to throw corpses into the German meat grinder until it reached it's pre-set kill limit.  

The first year of the war that would have been correct, but by 1942 the Soviet infantry was very good, The Germans rated them much better than the US.  They particularly impressed by what Von Mellenthin as the Russian Ant Tactic, in which over days of individual infiltration who regiments would appear within the German defensive lines.

That, and if you watch the evolution of Soviet casualties during the war, you see significant evolution in the Soviets favor.

Second Battle of Kharkov (1942): 13:1 in favor of the Germans

Battle of Kursk (1943): 4:1 in favor of the Germans

Operation Bagration (1944): 2:1 in favor of the Germans

Battle of Koingsberg (1945): 1:1.2 in favor of the Soviets

Battle of Berlin: 1:1

Comparatively, throughout the American involvement, troop losses greatly varied, depending on who we fought. Was 3:1 in our favor against the Italians in Torch and Tunisia, and about 1:1 against the Germans in France.

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 3:22:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What books are you reading?  Are they books written by Airborne, Armor or Artillery writers?

This would probably explain it. Infantry has always been viewed by some  as the group that you simply threw  rifles into the hands of cannon fodder who couldn't do anything else and sent them out into the meat grinder.

Way over-simplified view that ignores the reality that you can't seize and hold ground without Infantry boots being there, but that is what it is
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 3:28:45 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Depends on the year and the theater.

Pacific

41/early 42- green and ill equiped

Late 42- army didn't fight much

43- green but well equiped

44- good

45- very good
Europe

late 42- green and well equiped but with early equipment

43- getting better, a few units quite good, but most still pretty green

44- getting even better in Italy with better equipment,

Late 44- France invasion troops were very well trained but without experience in many cases, best equipment of the war

45- arguably the best trained, equipped and led Army of the world with lots of combat experience.  

This.  Certainly there were still some duds both in leadership and units overall...but for the most part, by 1945 our Army was the best in the field anywhere.

Consider this...our combined arms defeated the best the Nazis had and the tough little Japs too.

By 1945, our forces were really measuring up to the 1942 Navy-Marine Corps team at Guadalcanal...and that is saying something.  

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 3:45:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In Vietnam, it was 19.

My dad was 28, in 1944,  when he rolled into Europe in a tank destroyer.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 3:56:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The first year of the war that would have been correct, but by 1942 the Soviet infantry was very good, The Germans rated them much better than the US.

At the Second battle of Kharkov (1942), the Germans appear to have suffered some 20,000 'total casualties', while the Soviets suffered some 170,000 killed/missing/captured and another 105,000 wounded.  Now, thats a ratio of 8.5:1, not counting the Soviet wounded...I'll admit that I can't help but wonder if the 20,000 "total" figure is actually 20,000 DEAD in addition to missing/captured/wounded, or if perhaps it doesn't include losses amongst German allies, but still, the Soviets had far heavier losses.

Third Kharkov (1943) is on record as producing some 11,500 dead/wounded/missing Germans, compared to some 45,000 Soviet dead and another 41,000 missing.

OK, but those were German victories.  So let's look at some Russian victories...
At Kursk, 1943, Soviet losses were about three times those of German losses during the German attack ('Zitadelle').  Soviet losses during their own offensive were again greater, about four times as heavy as German losses.  Soviet losses of aircraft, artillery, and armor were also MUCH greater during both engagements.

Soviet forces took twice as many casualties as German forces at the Battle of Smolensk in 1943, and during Operation Bagaration in 1944.
Oh, yhea, and the Soviets lost more troops at Stalingrad, too.  It's like they couldn't die for the motherland fast enough.

When you look at losses in the west front engagements, the casualty figures are pretty close for most of the fights.  And the US Infantryman was certainly better equipped and better fed than his Soviet counterpart.
If the Germans actually DID rate the Russian infantry as being much better than the US infantry...I'm just not seeing how they came to that conclusion...
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 4:07:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
As for the actual quality of the troops, if you had said "So in general, Soviet Infantry Sucked Balls in WWII And Failed At Life?" I would have agreed with you.  After all, the Soviet tactic was basically to throw corpses into the German meat grinder until it reached it's pre-set kill limit.  It's too bad the Wehrmacht couldn't slaughter them all, that would have saved us some trouble later on.  Patton was right, but I digress...

I've read that Operation Bagration was one of the most brilliant and best executed ground operations in modern military history.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 4:14:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

That, and if you watch the evolution of Soviet casualties during the war, you see significant evolution in the Soviets favor.

Second Battle of Kharkov (1942): 13:1 in favor of the Germans
Battle of Kursk (1943): 4:1 in favor of the Germans
Operation Bagration (1944): 2:1 in favor of the Germans
Battle of Koingsberg (1945): 1:1.2 in favor of the Soviets
Battle of Berlin: 1:1

Comparatively, throughout the American involvement, troop losses greatly varied, depending on who we fought. Was 3:1 in our favor against the Italians in Torch and Tunisia, and about 1:1 against the Germans in France.

OK, they "evolved" to suck less.  I'll give them that.  But remember that by the time they improved to the 1:1 type numbers you see at the Battle of Konigsburg or Berlin, they'd already thrown away millions of troops to slowly whittle away the Wehrmacht.  You could attribute their improvement as much to the Germans having to throw greener and greener troops on the line as you could to the Russians getting better.

I mean, hey, with the 13:1 ratio at Second Kharkov, and the 7.5:1 ratio at Third Kharkov, and the 4:1 kill ratio at Kursk...Did the Russians have that many survivors to send to Bagaration?
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 6:02:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What books are you reading?  Are they books written by Airborne, Armor or Artillery writers?

I've been reading a lot of Hastings.  

But the same point was made in "Army at Dawn".

It got so bad that after Normandy, there was a whole scale move of good troops from Service Units to Infantry.

The British simply ran out of Infantry.

I think you misinterpreted the information presented. We were desperately short of replacements at the conclusion of the Normandy campaign. People often forget that the invasion happened on 6 June 1944 the breakout did not happen until August. The run across France, Market-Garden, we were exhausted when arriving at the German border in Nov.

Torch was poor leadership.

During the Battle of the Bulge our crappy infantry 99th,106th, 28th, 1st, stands were epic. The 99th and 106th were brand new but held the crack German spearhead units up for a couple of days totally upsetting their timetable. Hollywood would have you believe that the Germans just rolled through while we ran away. They were contained within the bulge while the shoulders were strengthened when their momentum stopped the shoulders were contracted. "A Time for Trumpets", MacDonald dispels much of the crappy infantry talk. During the "Bulge" the rear panicked, the line did not.

We did not mobilize enough manpower at the outset
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 6:07:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Think about this.  For nearly two decades, two countries prepared for war, while the rest of the world went on about it's way.   During the 30's, you saw young Americans who were poorly fed and a military that was substantially drawn down since WWI.  It isn't all that conceivable to understand that when war finally broke out that those who joined and those who were drafted weren't in the best war fighting shape compared to Japan and Germany which had been at war with the world long before we realized it.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 6:11:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The first year of the war that would have been correct, but by 1942 the Soviet infantry was very good, The Germans rated them much better than the US.

At the Second battle of Kharkov (1942), the Germans appear to have suffered some 20,000 'total casualties', while the Soviets suffered some 170,000 killed/missing/captured and another 105,000 wounded.  Now, thats a ratio of 8.5:1, not counting the Soviet wounded...I'll admit that I can't help but wonder if the 20,000 "total" figure is actually 20,000 DEAD in addition to missing/captured/wounded, or if perhaps it doesn't include losses amongst German allies, but still, the Soviets had far heavier losses.

Third Kharkov (1943) is on record as producing some 11,500 dead/wounded/missing Germans, compared to some 45,000 Soviet dead and another 41,000 missing.

OK, but those were German victories.  So let's look at some Russian victories...
At Kursk, 1943, Soviet losses were about three times those of German losses during the German attack ('Zitadelle').  Soviet losses during their own offensive were again greater, about four times as heavy as German losses.  Soviet losses of aircraft, artillery, and armor were also MUCH greater during both engagements.

Soviet forces took twice as many casualties as German forces at the Battle of Smolensk in 1943, and during Operation Bagaration in 1944.
Oh, yhea, and the Soviets lost more troops at Stalingrad, too.  It's like they couldn't die for the motherland fast enough.

When you look at losses in the west front engagements, the casualty figures are pretty close for most of the fights.  And the US Infantryman was certainly better equipped and better fed than his Soviet counterpart.
If the Germans actually DID rate the Russian infantry as being much better than the US infantry...I'm just not seeing how they came to that conclusion...

The entire 5th Chapter to English's first version of "On Infantry" covers the reasons why.  

It can best be summed up by a instruction give to German's on the way to the Oost front.

The Soldier in Russia must be a hunter, The Bolshevist's greatest advantage over the German is the highly developed instinct and lack of sensitivity to terrain and weather.  One must be able to stalk like a huntsmen
The Soldier in Russia  must be able to improvise.  The Bolshevist is a master at improvisation.
The Soldier in Russia  must be constantly on the move.  Hardly a day passes on which the Russians, however weak they may be, don't push against our line. Day after day they improve their position.
The Soldier in Russia  must be suspicious.
The Soldier in Russia  must be wide awake.  The Russians practically always attack during the night and during foggy weather.  In the front lines there is not to be done but remain awake at night and rest during the day. But in Russia there is not front and no hinterland in the military sense of the word.  Anyone who lays down his arms east of the old Reich frontier may greatly regret that moments later.
The Soldier in Russia  must be able to reconnoiter.  Reconnoiter is the main component of all fighting in Russia.
The Soldier in Russia  must hard.  Real men are needed to make war in forty degrees of frost on in great heat, in knee deep mud on in thick dust. The victim of Bolshevist mass attack often presents a sight against which the young soldier must harden his heart.  He must reckon with the possibility of losing his life.  Only men who do not lose their nerve  when death threatens them are fit to fight against Bolshevism.  Weak characters must realize that the leadership is sufficiently hard to punish cowardice by death.  

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 7:06:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
tell that to any member of the 29th Inf who stormed Omaha Beach.

An they where National Guard! We (USA) are not the Russians, yes we drafted but had a much higher education. Think todays 18 year olds could handle 1941 without I-phones

“Your division is one of the best, if not the best division in the history of American arms.” - George S. Patton

This is what Patton said about the Oklahoma 45th ID. My grandfather was there and now I proudly wear the same Thunderbird that he did. You can say what you will about the guard but historically we have seen just as much combat as active guys.

In my time in Afghanistan I saw no measurable differences in the fighting ability of the guard vs. active

I caught a ride over there with your guys last June from Gulfport.  I sort of stood out waiting there in the hangar, as I was the only guy there wearing a flight suit.  Had a bunch of guys that thought I would be part of the crew flying them over.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 7:53:43 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

The battle of the Bulge was fought by the best and brightest.

Hap Arnlod released 70K aviation cadets and the ASTP program released a shitload of college students to the infantry about that time.

The criminal part of this is that these guys released from the plum programs were poorly trained.

For the most part, basic training and into the line.

A lot of guys got chewed up because of the lack of training.

Kurt Vonnegut was just one of these and he was taken POW during the Bulge. He was not alone.

This.

Because of early war planning, the Army Ground Forces HQ only built a 100 division army. Reality was that they under-planned the need for infantry. We should have had more infantry units so that intact, cohesive units could be employed, but we didn't.

So, in late 1944, the US Army literally ran out of Infantry.

In Italy, in-theater units (like the 435th, 434th, 532nd and 900th AAA Battalions who were reformed into Task Force 45 and then the 473rd Regimental Combat Team) were repurposed as Infantry. Clark also accepted units nobody wanted, like the 10th Mountain Division and the all-black 92nd Infantry Division (Buffaloes).

In "Europe", the majority of replacements were individuals (1) swept out of the Army Science Training Program that had been set up in 1942 to ensure continuity of scientific research

The critical shortage of infantrymen in the winter of 1943-44 was largely responsible for the virtual liquidation in February 1944 of the Army Specialized Training Program (ASTP), which had been initiated at the close of 1942 on broad grounds of public interest and policy. The ASTP had been approved by the Secretary of War in September 1942, in anticipation of the lowering of the draft age from twenty to eighteen. The program was established primarily to ensure a continuous flow of technically and professionally trained men for the prosecution of the war, men who could not be procured without deferments if the draft age should be lowered to eighteen. Continuous replenishment of the national stock of young men with such training was an urgent necessity, especially if the war should last more than four or five years.44 There were strong arguments for training them in the colleges and universities. The training and educational facilities of the Army were believed to be insufficient in extent and character to give the type of education required. Moreover, the use of the colleges and universities would protect these institutions from impoverishment or collapse, and the provision of students by the Army might be expected to lower the resistance of civilian educators to the reduction of the draft age to eighteen. To avoid the shortcomings of the Student Army Training Corps of World War I, the plan for the ASTP was to be tied firmly to the military program of the Army. Selected enlisted men were to be assigned to various colleges and universities for academic instruction, but only after they had received basic military training, which was to be continued under a cadet organization while they were in college. Under the plan proposed, the Army would be assured of receiving from each oncoming age e group a due proportion of men with advanced training, shaped with reference to ultimate military requirements. At first it was contemplated that most of these men would become officers after completing their college work.

and Army Air Corps training programs (in 1941-2, the Air Corps [perhaps deliberately] significantly overestimated its need for pilots and aircrew and had tens of thousands of men in Aviation Cadet and air crew training over and above its needs).

These personnel were sent overseas as individual replacements and then handled like spare parts through the Replacement Depots (Reeple Deeples) in the ETO Zone of Communication until they were dumped into cohesive combat units where they were the "new guys".

My father was a Infantry company commander in France. His rule of thumb was that any of the "new guys" that made it through their first action would probably survive (ever wonder why the replacements always got killed on Combat?). Veteran Joes tried not to get to know any "new guys" because of that. That further isolated the replacements and probably contributed to many of them doing dumb shit and getting killed.

Units that got replacements out of the line were able to integrate them better.

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 8:07:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 8:09:47 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OP- some 20% of the military inductees were rejected because of their physicals. Yep, the Depression was that bad and many of those people were malnourished.
Total rejection was closer to one out of every three inductees.

It was later found in combat that only about one in every five even fired their weapons!

Now you know why ammo consumption went up so much in Viet Nam and elsewhere: Soldiers were told that if nothing else firing your weapon will help keep The Enemies heads down.

Please don't repeat S.L.A. Marshall's discredited lies from Men Against Fire.

The article, "S.L.A. Marshall and the Ratio of Fire," appeared in the British journal, The Royal United Services Institute for Defence Studies. The author was professor Roger J. Spiller, and his task was an unpleasant one because he believed that Marshall was basically right about the primacy of ground combat. Nonetheless, Spiller pulled no punches. He writes:

Marshall had no use for the polite equivocations of scholarly discourse. His way of proving doubtful propositions was to state them more forcefully. Righteousness was always more important for Marshall than evidence....

The foundation of his conviction was not scholarship but his own military experience, experience that he inflated or revised as the situation warranted. Marshall often hinted broadly that he had commanded infantry in combat, but his service dossier shows no such service. He frequently held that he had been the youngest officer in the American Expeditionary Forces during the Great War, but this plays with the truth as well. Marshall enlisted in 1917 and served with the 315th Engineer Regiment—then part of the 90th Infantry Division—and won a commission after the Armistice, when rapid demobilization required very junior officers to command "casual" and depot companies as the veteran officers went home. Marshall rarely drew such distinctions, however, leaving his audiences to infer that he had commanded in the trenches. Later in life, he remarked that he had seen five wars as a soldier and 18 as a correspondent, but his definitions of war and soldiering were rather elastic. That he had seen a great deal of soldiers going about their deadly work was no empty boast, however. This mantle of experience, acquired in several guises, protected him throughout his long and prolific career as a military writer, and his aggressive style intimidated those who would doubt his arguments. Perhaps inevitably, his readers would mistake his certitude for authority.

What of Marshall's claims for his research in the field during World War II? Spiller writes:

In Men Against Fire Marshall claims to have interviewed "approximately" 400 infantry rifle companies in the Pacific and in Europe, but that number tended to change over the years. In 1952, the number had somehow grown to 603 companies; five years later his sample had declined to "something over 500" companies. Those infantry companies—whatever their actual number—were his laboratories, the infantrymen his test subjects, and at the focal point of his research was the ratio of fire. "Why the subject of fire ratios under combat conditions has not been long and searchingly explored, I don't know," Marshall wrote. "I suspect that it is because in earlier wars there had never existed the opportunity for systematic collection of data." [Emphasis added.]

Opportunity aplenty existed in Europe: more than 1200 rifle companies did their work between June 1944 and V-E day, 10 months later. But Marshall required by his own standard two and sometimes three days with a company to examine one day's combat. By the most generous calculation, Marshall would have finished "approximately" 400 interviews sometime in October or November 1946, or at about the time he was writing Men Against Fire.

This calculation assumes, however, that of all the questions Marshall might ask the soldiers of a rifle company during his interviews, he would unfailingly want to know who had fired his weapon and who had not. Such a question, posed interview after interview, would have signalled that Marshall was on a particular line of inquiry, and that regardless of the other information Marshall might discover, he was devoted to investigating this facet of combat performance. John Westover, usually in attendance during Marshall's sessions with the troops, does not recall Marshall's ever asking this question. Nor does Westover recall Marshall ever talking about ratios of weapons usage in their many private conversations. Marshall's own personal correspondence leaves no hint that he was ever collecting statistics. His surviving field notebooks show no signs of statistical compilations that would have been necessary to deduce a ratio as precise as Marshall reported later in Men Against Fire. The "systematic collection of data" that made Marshall's ratio of fire so authoritative appears to have been an invention.

Puncturing the Marshall legend was Dr. Spiller's duty rather than his pleasure. He ended his piece this way:

History has a savage way about it. A reputation may be made or unmade when history seizes upon part of a life and reduces it to caricature. S.L.A. Marshall was one of the most important commentators on the soldier's world in this century. The axiom upon which so much of his reputation has been built overshadows his real contribution. Marshall's insistence that modern warfare is best understood through the medium of those who actually do the fighting stands as a challenge to the disembodied, mechanistic approaches that all too often are the mainstay of military theorists and historians alike.

Note that Marshall NEVER repeated this "assertion" in any of the volumes of The Official History.  Not once.

It is really too bad that S.L.A. Marshall, like Ambrose, ruined his good work with his false work.  A Soldier's Load and the Mobility of a Nation is excellent.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 8:13:49 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Constantly repeated but false statements from S.L.A. Marshall's now-discredited 1947 booklet Men Against Fire.  Wasn't true.  See my post above.

These falsehoods got legs because no one challenged his false claims of "research" then.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 8:17:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In Vietnam, it was 19.

Great, now that song is stuck in my head.

Same here! That song...

In keeping with the holiday theme- America, fuck yeah!

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 8:20:31 AM EDT
[#46]
We started off world war 2 with next to NOTHING in terms of infantry or modern warfare.

The USSR had had some practice during the Spanish civil war, in 1941 they started against the Germans.
The Germans had had practice in the Spanish civil war, then had been in a constant state of war starting in 1939
The Italians had been at war in Ethiopia since 1935.

We started off ww2 with a smaller army than Romania , a country of 13 million people.

We started off with this as our main battle tank :

We started off the greatest war in modern history with NOTHING.

We had a EXTREMELY steep learning curve, however unlike the Italians, French and other world armies, we quickly learned and rose to end the war as a military powerhouse like the world had never seen before. Unlike the UK, Russia and other nations we were fighting a TWO FRONT WAR which split manpower. Did our infantry suck? Heck no , but there were many times they took a beating due to incompetent leaders, just like every other nation during ww2 at some point. The biggest benefit to ours was the fact we had one of the best logistical programs ever created. Germany was fighting in their back yard for a great part of the war and had major logistic problems, we were fighting on two fronts half way around the world and were able to keep things supplied and running.

I think that people like to look at the war period and use either rose colored glasses or view everything thought some sort of mystic lens. They either overestimate our abilities or underestimate them. The United States did a heck of a job and fought like champions.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 8:25:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Whatever the case may be, i give everyone during this time major props for charging into battle with nothing more than a cotton shirt to protect them.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 8:33:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The US Army in WWII was very much a pickup team affair. The Army grew from about 200K to 8M over the course of the war. During the interwar period the army was a backwater from a doctrine standpoint in comparison to the European powers. George Marshall and Albert Wedemeyer  (most effective German General Staff officer of the war!)  put together an effective army in the course of a few years.

Trevor Dupuy?
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 8:37:54 AM EDT
[#49]

Another Arfcomer on drugs waaaaaaaay to early in the morning.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 8:46:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Hastings loves to bash the American GI. That being said the cream of the intellectual crop  went into aviation
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been reading a lot of Hastings.  

But the same point was made in "Army at Dawn".

It got so bad that after Normandy, there was a whole scale move of good troops from Service Units to Infantry.

The British simply ran out of Infantry.

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top