Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2012 8:31:50 AM EDT
I went to put decorations on my friend's gravesite. I post every year about Foster Harrington. This year is a little different. I showed up on saturday to decorate his grave. I met a very nice lady who was decorating the grave next to Foster as well as one other. This solved the mystery as to why sometimes I would find Foster's site already decorated. She admitted that she would often decorate Foster's along with her son's and those of others.
What a classy lady she is. She has spend 10 years with the USO in Dallas.

I told her Foster's story.
Foster was killed in Fallujah in 04. We worked together in the ER in Miami. We had a great friend in common and shared a love of guns. He was a paramedic and had taken over a corner where the Corpsman had been but had become ill. Foster was shot by a sniper. He always did more than he had to and was liked by all.

The lady told me about her son, Gregory Schneider. He served as a Marine and made it back from his deployments. Sadly, he died in a motorcycle accident. You could see the love in her eyes as she spoke of him. Clearly choking up a bit she changed subject to the other gravesite.

One row up rests Wesley R. Durbin. He had served in the USMC and gotten out after doing his time. He missed the service and enlisted in the Army. He was in Iraq when he was killed. He and a fellow NCO (Staff Sgt. Dawson) went to chew the ass off of a Sgt. named Bocizevich (I had to google his name but she had the story right) for screwing up dangerously on a patrol. They went in the early morning and placed their weapons down across the room. The guy raised his weapon and shot Dawson first then Durbin.

Section 26 is a resting place for heroes who have served our country well. I'm honored to have spent some time there and learned more of their stories. I am also touched by the love of this lady for her son and his fellow fallen heroes (Yes, I'm comfortable calling them heroes).

I will try and put in some pics.

section 25

Gregory Schneider

Foster Harrington

Wesley R. Durbin

Link Posted: 5/27/2012 8:37:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 8:38:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 8:43:11 AM EDT
[#3]
True heroes that left us too early...
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 8:43:57 AM EDT
[#4]
God bless you for caring...and remembering.

May they all rest in peace.

Link Posted: 5/27/2012 8:59:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 9:00:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 9:15:13 AM EDT
[#7]
As an aside.  The ARFCOM HQ is going to have a memorial area at entrance.  You can have a paving brick there with someone's name you want remembered    I put Foster's

It's in newsletter.  Bricks in ARFCOM store
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 9:28:12 AM EDT
[#8]
You are a good man EvanWilliams.  Gone but not forgotten.
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 9:34:45 AM EDT
[#9]
A real friend is a friend forever.

Good on you!
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 9:43:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

As an aside.  The ARFCOM HQ is going to have a memorial area at entrance.  You can have a paving brick there with someone's name you want remembered    I put Foster's

You're a good man.

Link Posted: 5/27/2012 9:46:59 AM EDT
[#11]
 Rest In Peace, Brothers. May God grant you eternal peace.
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 9:58:36 AM EDT
[#12]
God Bless

Great post OP

Link Posted: 5/27/2012 10:04:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 10:07:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
God bless you for caring...and remembering.

May they all rest in peace.

This.....
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 10:41:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You're a good man.

I'm am too intellectually honest to let that go unchallenged.
I would say I'm appreciative and I'm loyal.

Good, my grandfather was a good man. I aint near the man he was.
My own military foray was abortive and brief as well as mediocre at best.
I have none of my father's and uncle's good 11B genes or more likely their good character

So, seeing the world as it is and not as I would have it, if I'm going to be a cheerleader and not first string varsity, I'm going to be the best most loyal cheerleader I can be.

BTW, Foster would have been a great ARFCOMer.  He carried a SIG P220 in his scrubs when we worked together in the ER
I usually had just a Spyderco endura and maybe a SIG P 239 depending on the news of the day and likelihood of urban unrest.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 5:41:28 PM EDT
[#16]
No, you are a good man. I would happily buy you a drink any day.

Link Posted: 5/29/2012 2:22:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No, you are a good man. I would happily buy you a drink any day.  

If you make it to Texas, the Shiner Bock is on me.
If I get to Penn., would you have any Yeungling to spare?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top