Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 6:26:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I dont think it is a rat snake. some of the marking are similar, however those dark circles it has on it dont look like any other in the pictures i looked at of black rat snakes. if the rat snakes do have that pattern they are staggered not in a straight line like that. and we know by looking at the picture the tree is at least if not taller than the shed. that is a huge snake no way its a black rat snake.
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 6:26:38 AM EDT
[#2]
It's a rat snake guys and the camera perspective makes it look bigger than it is.  Also the "loaf of bread" body profile is another characteristic that you can clearly see in some of the last pictures on the web site.
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 6:28:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It's a rat snake guys and the camera perspective makes it look bigger than it is

Link Posted: 5/23/2012 6:32:09 AM EDT
[#4]
i wander what you have been taking pictures of to help you figure that out?
Quoted:
It's a rat snake guys and the camera perspective makes it look bigger than it is

Link Posted: 5/23/2012 6:35:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
i wander what you have been taking pictures of to help you figure that out?
Quoted:

Pics inbound

Link Posted: 5/23/2012 6:38:25 AM EDT
[#6]
after looking at all of the photos on the news site, I am going to change my guess and go with with Black Rat snake as well. The Black Pine snake does not have the stark white belly.

Link Posted: 5/23/2012 6:39:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I love all the self professed experts in this thread. We got boas, pythons, rat snakes, hell anyone wanna claim anaconda yet?

I don't know what species that fucker is.
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 6:41:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I love all the self professed experts in this thread. We got boas, pythons, rat snakes, hell anyone wanna claim anaconda yet?

Which is exactly what makes it so funny when they bitch about people killing snakes. If the "experts" don't know what the fuck it is why should I take a chance?
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 6:41:54 AM EDT
[#9]
PAGING DANNER130!
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 6:48:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Just an ugly example of a Black Rat.
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 6:48:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is exactly what makes it so funny when they bitch about people killing snakes. If the "experts" don't know what the fuck it is why should I take a chance?

The experts at the zoo and wildlife department said it was a rat snake.  Two seconds of googling will tell you it is a rat snake.  Ten minutes of googling and reading about what snakes are in your OA and how to identify them should fix any "chance taking" on your part.
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 6:54:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The experts at the zoo and wildlife department said it was a rat snake.  Two seconds of googling will tell you it is a rat snake.  Ten minutes of googling and reading about what snakes are in your OA and how to identify them should fix any "chance taking" on your part.

Which is why I said Black Pine Snake. We don't have Black Rats in Florida that I know of, only Greys.
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 6:57:19 AM EDT
[#13]
I would shoot the biggest guns I have in the general direction of that thing until it died or got bored of hearing me scream like a little girl.

Link Posted: 5/23/2012 7:00:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is why I said Black Pine Snake. We don't have Black Rats in Florida that I know of, only Greys.

So.....the EXPERTS at the Zoo and Wildlife Department are wrong? Huh.....
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 2:36:34 PM EDT
[#15]
What round for giant mystery snake?
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 4:45:57 PM EDT
[#16]
It's a black rat snake and is not remotely close to 15 feet, Philmore is a douche.
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 4:50:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It's a black rat snake and is not remotely close to 15 feet, Philmore is a douche.

From someone who kept and bred reptiles for over 15 years and spent a good amount of time looking for snakes in South Carolina, that is a Black Rat Snake. It's a big one, but not even close to 10-15 feet. Probably 6-7. I'm sure another GD expert with a picture from Google will be along soon to say it's a Python or Black Mamba or a King Cobra, but it's not. It's a Black rat Snake.
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 4:54:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
African rock python, KILL IT WITH FIRE!!1! (this is coming from a snake lover, someone who has owned tens of dozens of snakes.) Of all the snakes I have owned, including some damn hot hots like pigmy rattlers and eyelash vipers, my African rock python scared me the most.

Nope, an Afrock that size would be much thicker and have "hollow" saddle markings down its back(the inside of the markings would be "filled in" with the lighter background color). IF it's a boid the only thing the head resembles is a white lipped python, but I don't know if they get that big.

that and the size of the scales makes it very unlikely to be a python
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 5:00:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

From someone who kept and bred reptiles for over 15 years and spent a good amount of time looking for snakes in South Carolina, that is a Black Rat Snake. It's a big one, but not even close to 10-15 feet. Probably 6-7. I'm sure another GD expert with a picture from Google will be along soon to say it's a Python or Black Mamba or a King Cobra, but it's not. It's a Black rat Snake.

A snake that large needs to not be in someone's backyard. I don't care what it is. It's also bigger than 7 feet.
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 5:19:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Dupe
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 5:55:58 PM EDT
[#21]
What I want to know is this:

Does the person in the story who found this in their yard not have any good neighbors? It wouldn't be there long enough to make the news on my block.
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 10:01:25 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

If it was my yard, it would be a dead snake.

Yep.

1) Find the 12 gauge

2) Load it up with some #4 or #6 shot (which, for me, would mean I would use my 3" magnum, 1 3/4 ounce, turkey hunting shells)

3) Find the snake

4) Aim for its head

5) Release safety

6) Squeeze trigger and kill snake

7) ????

8) Profit

Link Posted: 5/24/2012 10:05:26 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Very dark for a grey rat snake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_Rat_Snake

Looks like it, but this says the record length is 7'. This looks a lot bigger, but perhaps it is a really small tree.

I dunno, I've only seen the black ones like this.  The ones I've seen in my area were around 4 feet long.

http://www.rfadventures.com/black-rat-snake.jpg

This is also a gray rat snake.

http://srelherp.uga.edu/snakes/pics/elaobs7.jpg

We have a ton of those down here in southwest georgia. I'm more likely to see one of those in my yard then I am any other snake. I see plenty of garter snakes, too, and, occasionally, I'll see either corn snakes or copperheads. Everything else is pretty darn rare (at least for me).

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top