Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 5/21/2012 2:58:02 AM EDT
I decided to open carry for a couple of days to see why people think it's such a stupid thing to do.

I went to Walmart and it turns out no one really cared I a carrying a gun. Apparently one lady looked at my glock and rolled her eyes.
The manager even looked directly at my gun and we had a friendly conversation about the weather.

I also went grocery shipping. One group of people gave me a funny look and the cashier was overly nice.

I asked an elderly lady if she needed help loading her groceries since I notice she had a lot of heavy canned goods. She gladly accepted my help and then we chatted about mechanical engineering.

I helped my friend move. Friend's step dad said "so what's the gun for?" I responded "just in case."

I also stopped at several gas stations for random reasons... nothing happened.

I don't really see the big deal about open carry versus concealed. I don't think bystanders really notice or care.

I think I'll open carry more often now. It's a lot more comfortable.

Link Posted: 5/21/2012 3:04:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I decided to open carry for a couple of days to see why people think it's such a stupid thing to do.

I went to Walmart and it turns out no one really cared I a carrying a gun. Apparently one lady looked at my glock and rolled her eyes.
The manager even looked directly at my gun and we had a friendly conversation about the weather.

I also went grocery shipping. One group of people gave me a funny look and the cashier was overly nice.

I asked an elderly lady if she needed help loading her groceries since I notice she had a lot of heavy canned goods. She gladly accepted my help and then we chatted about mechanical engineering.

I helped my friend move. Friend's step dad said "so what's the gun for?" I responded "just in case."

I don't really see the big deal about open carry versus concealed. I don't think bystanders really notice or care.

I'm all for the exercising of a right.  but in a tactical sense OC makes you a primary target if you don't get the drop on someone before they get the drop on you
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 3:14:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Interesting experiment.  Personally, I wouldn't want to stand out like that.  I'm kind of a wallflower.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 3:18:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 3:18:40 AM EDT
[#4]
In before the hate and shitstorm.   I'm pro OC, btw.

Link Posted: 5/21/2012 3:23:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I have done it before and each time it was a non event.  Nobody around these parts cares.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 3:28:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm all for the exercising of a right.  but in a tactical sense OC makes you a primary target if you don't get the drop on someone before they get the drop on you

Most criminals I know are looking for easy pickings and would assume a guy with a guns a cop or "some gunnut lookin' to shoot someone" and would just change their mind and walk away without anyone knowing they were about to commit a crime.  

To some it will, but to others it also makes you a target. A big thing is jumping or killing of security guards for their weapons. It happens to law enforcement as well. A gun is worth alot more than most would have in their wallet..etc  Not to mention street value.  Your deterring one type of beast, while attracting a greater one.

Link Posted: 5/21/2012 3:33:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 3:33:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Well you're from IDAHO...I'm from (twin falls originally) no one would bat an eye about that there. Come try it in Madison Wisconsin and see how your experiences compare.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 3:36:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most criminals I know are looking for easy pickings and would assume a guy with a guns a cop or "some gunnut lookin' to shoot someone" and would just change their mind and walk away without anyone knowing they were about to commit a crime.  

Link Posted: 5/21/2012 3:43:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't OC much, primarily because I am not certain I could stop a couple thugs from disarming me. I'm not a puss, but a realist.....

I do OC for brief times (like jumping out to pump gas without putting my jacket on), and in rural spots. I don't think anyone has ever noticed.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 3:44:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Interesting experiment.  Personally, I wouldn't want to stand out like that.  I'm kind of a wallflower.

same here,  I'm all for it if you want to do it, but I would rather keep my defensive abilities on the low until they were needed
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 3:48:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I wish we could here in Texas  .    I would not do it very often but it would be nice to not have to worry about your concealed weapon being printed or seen when your jacket flips up.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 3:54:40 AM EDT
[#13]
If you were from Florida you would know security guards do get killed for their guns. i knew one metrorail security guard in Miami who was jumped , threw on the ground and was executed just for his piece of shit 38. the dirtbag knew the guard was wearing a vest so he was shot in the head. if open carriers want to walk around thinking they are supermen , be warned it makes you a target.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 3:55:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 3:56:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS FFS.

I MUCH prefer OC to CC. I can draw it a million times faster if I need it, and I've seen some shady folks just turn and walk out of convenience stores in questionable parts of Columbia and Jefferson City just because myself and a friend of mine were OC while waiting in line to buy drinks.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 3:58:09 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I wish we could here in Texas  .    I would not do it very often but it would be nice to not have to worry about your concealed weapon being printed or seen when your jacket flips up.

Yep, same as in FL.

Link Posted: 5/21/2012 4:01:46 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, same as in FL.

It'd also be nice just have the option..... Hot summer day and I've got to carry IWB, fun fun fun.....

Link Posted: 5/21/2012 4:07:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, same as in FL.

You can't OC in Florida?

I thought you could?
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 4:13:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, same as in FL.

You can't OC in Florida?

I thought you could?

Not if things haven't changed.  The closest you get is car carry....in the glove box.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 4:14:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, same as in FL.

You can't OC in Florida?

I thought you could?

Not if things haven't changed.  The closest you get is car carry....in the glove box.

That's a GOOD one.

In Michigan you have to have a CPL or gun must be unloaded in the trunk, etc.

I'm surprised you can't open carry though.  Always thought you could.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 4:16:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Woot - first one to say CSB!
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 4:16:21 AM EDT
[#22]
I think you should try it in NYC and let know how it goes, lol.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 4:16:21 AM EDT
[#23]
I am more interested why you stopped at several gas stations, some people have way to much time on their hands
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 4:24:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I am more interested why you stopped at several gas stations, some people have way to much time on their hands

Thread title should be changed to "My open carry experiment."

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 4:25:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Gotta go when you gotta go
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 4:27:00 AM EDT
[#26]
My experiences mirror yours.

I am sure it depends on the locale, but the nay thing anyone has said is that the walmart guy said that he was happy to see someone exercising their rights.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 4:30:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You normally don't stand out. I don't OC all the time but while open carrying most people honestly don't notice.

I sold one of my vehicles last week and I was open carrying. The lady I was talking to didnt notice I was open carrying for at least twenty minutes, most people are oblivious to whats around them.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 4:34:36 AM EDT
[#28]
You live in ID...
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 4:36:27 AM EDT
[#29]
The general population really doesnt care. I CCW and can OC in November as it just passed. BUT, I can tell you in every single occasion when I am at the range w/ either my M16 or Mac.... NOBODY cares. A couple looks now and again, and maybe a question or two.

We are aware as it is our hobby, the general population either does not care, or is ignorant...
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 4:38:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Your post reads like a Mercer Mayer Little Critter book.

Link Posted: 5/21/2012 4:39:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/21/2012 4:40:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Most people don't care; which is as it should be. Always interested to see what people are carrying - after that doesn't matter to me at all.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 4:45:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is the best reason for legal OC.
I normally carry concealed, but I don't worry if the someone notices it or not.  

This is the main reason I'm happy that OC is legal in the state my fiancée and I are moving to.

Link Posted: 5/21/2012 4:56:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vomit more myth please...
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 5:00:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Your new shirt just came in:

Link Posted: 5/21/2012 5:04:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 5:08:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Your new shirt just came in:

http://www.dlaab.com/photo/shootmefirst.jpg

Maybe you can move to OK then give a opinion based on real life experiance.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 5:10:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

90% of the population doesn't care so long as you don't look like a thug or act like an idiot.

the other 9% are criminals with 1% bed wetting liberals that burst into tears at a picture of a gun drawn with crayon.

If you're wearing a ball cap with an American flag on it, clean, untorn clothing of a neutral (non-inflammatory) design, and generally behave like an upstanding citizen, in my experience people are generally more smiley and treat you better. That goes the same without the gun on the hip though
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 5:15:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

90% of the population doesn't care so long as you don't look like a thug or act like an idiot.

the other 9% are criminals with 1% bed wetting liberals that burst into tears at a picture of a gun drawn with crayon.

I agree.  Most people realize that if you are openly carrying a gun, then you probably aren't a threat.  The real threat you probably won't see coming until it's too late.

I preferr to have mine covered, but I do wish OC was legal here in TX just so I could carry OWB without having to worry about someone seeing my gun if my shirt rides up.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 5:21:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Around here, if you're dressed well (at least khakis, polo shirt, etc) most folks presume you're a police officer.  

That's been my experience with people.   On the rare occasions I OC (or I take off my cover garment due to weather), I've been approached and asked for directions, etc.

The average person presumes someone carrying a gun (based on appearance) to be someone paid to do so, they don't understand the gun culture since it's being brainwashed out of society.

I do mostly CCW because I avoid drawing attention to myself when possible, and there ARE people who notice when you're openly armed, for good or for bad.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 5:23:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Depending on how you are dressed I'm not following you into a convenience store at night even here in ID.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 5:33:51 AM EDT
[#42]
I OC pretty much every day (except when I have to enter an off-limits premises, and then it would not be legal to CC either).

The only time I'm ever given any shit over it . . .

. . is when I'm on ARFcom.

Link Posted: 5/21/2012 5:35:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

To some it will, but to others it also makes you a target. A big thing is jumping or killing of security guards for their weapons. It happens to law enforcement as well. A gun is worth alot more than most would have in their wallet..etc  Not to mention street value.  Your deterring one type of beast, while attracting a greater one.

Exactly what I was going to say.

I support the right to open carry, however as a rule I don't open carry myself.  If I were invited to an open carry demonstration/event, I might very well join in and open carry as part of the group.  I support the right to open carry so that it's available as an option for times when it may be appropriate, and so that accidental exposure of a concealed firearm doesn't suddenly lead to an arrest...I seem to recall exactly that happening in some New England state not too long ago on a windy day.

If you do open carry, though, I'd ask that you PLEASE use some form of retention holster!
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 5:36:11 AM EDT
[#44]
I don't want to say scared but I'm nervous to try it. I've thought about trying it but always worry about drawing attention to myself.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 5:36:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

that's the only reason i would like it in TX, to keep an overzealous/antigun cop from cracking on Joe Citizen.
I see people fairly frequently who don't conceal very well.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 5:39:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Your post reads like a Mercer Mayer Little Critter book.

http://images.betterworldbooks.com/030/I-Was-So-Mad-9780307119391.jpg

I love those Little Critter books. I used to buy them for my daughter and read them to her.
I thought it was cool that they had a fight with a bully in one of them.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 5:40:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 5:40:40 AM EDT
[#48]
On another forum...someone from Maryland had the cops called on them while displaying an open HOLSTER (open carry is for all intents and purposes illegal in MD) in a Chik Fil-A.  Yeah, I know, Maryland is a shitty place to live.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 5:49:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, because statistically this is occurring ALL the time...

So far I can only find 2 open carriers that were not police officers that were targeted by criminals.

Link Posted: 5/21/2012 6:00:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm very familiar with the Uniform Crime Reports produced by the FBI each year. In those reports various crimes by type are aggregated and compared to previous years. Other than police officers having their sidearms wrested away from them in the process of an arrest / struggle, I don't see the numbers to support your argument. Only a few (read: handful) security officers each year have their firearms stripped from them in a struggle.

This argument that you propose has NO foundation based on statistics.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/ucr

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top