Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 10:22:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Some months they might have a MUTA 6, 7 or 8. It all depends on what the tasking for that month is. That means that he could be gone on Friday or even Thursday.
Your typical MUTA 4 drill weekend is 0700 Saturday til about 1700 hrs Sunday. Then the EM has 8 hrs before s/he has to report back to their civilian employer for their next shift.

Ask for his/her annutal training schedule. That may change over the course of the year, but it'll give you an idea of when they'll be needed for their Guard job

Seriously?  The man is asking because he's clueless about military reserves (no offense, OP) and you load him down with Army acronym crap?  I've been Navy for 22 years, 14 of that reserve, and I don't understand three quarters of what you just said.  Nice job.  How about something he can understand?  Oh wait...already been done.

ETA:  Since this is GD, page 2 ownership.
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 10:22:47 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

God forbid a company compensate someone for service to the country.

Paying an activated member a differential or their full salary is very nice, but it would be a severe liability to a small company. They are in no way obligated to pay an employee anything if he is not producing for them.

The company that I worked for the first time I was mobilized paid me nothing, and I don't blame them.

My current company pays me the difference between by salary and military base pay. For my active time beyond two weeks per year I use vacation time. I probably could soak them for more, but I wouldn't feel right about it.

One of the reasons that I have stayed with my current company (to my detriment in a number of ways) is the flexibility that they give me to be an active reservist. Some companies just can't be that flexible.

Link Posted: 5/15/2012 10:56:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
God forbid a company compensate someone for service to the country.

We have several local employers who not only pay for the two week drill, they actually maintain salary level during deployments.

Well, when you put everything on the line to run your own company, feel free to pay not only the salary of the guy not working (and getting paid by the .gov for drill) as well as the salary of the guy from the temp agency (at a higher hourly rate, with no training who will take longer to do the same job) you have to get to replace the first guy.

Link Posted: 5/16/2012 12:33:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some months they might have a MUTA 6, 7 or 8. It all depends on what the tasking for that month is. That means that he could be gone on Friday or even Thursday.
Your typical MUTA 4 drill weekend is 0700 Saturday til about 1700 hrs Sunday. Then the EM has 8 hrs before s/he has to report back to their civilian employer for their next shift.

Ask for his/her annual training schedule. That may change over the course of the year, but it'll give you an idea of when they'll be needed for their Guard job

Seriously?  The man is asking because he's clueless about military reserves (no offense, OP) and you load him down with Army acronym crap?  I've been Navy for 22 years, 14 of that reserve, and I don't understand three quarters of what you just said.  Nice job.  How about something he can understand?  Oh wait...already been done.

ETA:  Since this is GD, page 2 ownership.

You have a point, although you could have pointed it out a bit nicer. How did you Navy Reservists label your Unit Training Assemblies?

OP, a normal drill weekend is 2 days or  4 UTAs or Unit Training Assemblies. Every additional day is another 2 UTAs

Lets see, what else needs translation into English....

Oh yeah, the Guardsman has 8 hours before they have to return back to work after a drill weekend. I believe that clock is portal to portal, meaning the 8 hours starts when they get home from their drill, not when they are released from final formation. That distinction is important when you have guys who drive 4-6 hours to get to their drilling location. Not every Guardsman is lucky enough to be driling near their hometown for most of their career as I did.

Everything else looks like plain English to me.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top