Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2012 7:00:25 PM EDT
Hopefully next weekend I'm going to go camping for the first time in a looooong time.

The trailhead is roughly an hour and a half from where I am, so I figured I'd do a thing of manifold chicken so I'm guaranteed  one good hot meal while I'm backpacking

What's your favorite recipe / arrangement for this?

I usually do a chicken breast and thigh / drumstick together with some quartered baby red potatoes and some carrotes, seasoned with old bay and / or salt and pepper, but I want to try something new this time

What does arfcom do in this case?
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 7:05:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a heated vest and grips for my motorcycle.  I suppose I could pick up a roadkill, wrap him in my vest and strap him to the back seat on my way to the trailhead, but.....
....that's why I carry a whisperlite.

I've travelled light and without a stove before, but never really thought to have a "final meal" before hitting the trail.  It's a hike, not a death sentence.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 7:15:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a heated vest and grips for my motorcycle.  I suppose I could pick up a roadkill, wrap him in my vest and strap him to the back seat on my way to the trailhead, but.....
....that's why I carry a whisperlite.

I've travelled light and without a stove before, but never really thought to have a "final meal" before hitting the trail.  It's a hike, not a death sentence.

no not a final meal

I cook it, throw it in my pack and go. So when I get to my site, if everything else goes wrong and I can't start a fire or make my stove work, I have a warm meal before I go to bed
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 7:20:14 PM EDT
[#3]
if we can keep these eggs down, we will be sitting easy
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 7:25:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hopefully next weekend I'm going to go camping for the first time in a looooong time.

The trailhead is roughly an hour and a half from where I am, so I figured I'd do a thing of manifold chicken so I'm guaranteed  one good hot meal while I'm backpacking

What's your favorite recipe / arrangement for this?

I usually do a chicken breast and thigh / drumstick together with some quartered baby red potatoes and some carrotes, seasoned with old bay and / or salt and pepper, but I want to try something new this time

What does arfcom do in this case?

Add a wedge of blue cheese or some parmesan to your fixings.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 7:27:36 PM EDT
[#5]
And, you're cooking this with engine block heat?  [hence the manifold part, right?]  I'm not sure I'd be doing that with chicken.  Seems like you're rolling the dice with food poisoning.

The most surefire thing of which I can think are these Indian meals that come pre-cooked in a mylar-esque pouch.  A lot of riders will place them on their exhaust cans to heat them and some Unlce Ben's 90 second rice at the end of the day.  This stuff is all pre-cooked, so you're only trying to heat it, not cook it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 7:36:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 7:48:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Hey there, did you not notice that the only responses allowed in this thread are from members who have white diagonal slashes running through their avatars?  Since you have no avatar, I guess you aren't violating this established pattern, but it's something you could remedy.

These are the things I was talking about.

Nothing to do with chicken, but then again, I haven't contracted salmonella, yet.  In fact, I just opened up a bag of Bhindi Masala and ate it without even heating it up; can't even tell it's not heated, it's so spicy.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 7:53:07 PM EDT
[#8]
What the world really needs is a good engine coolant-powered crock-pot
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 7:53:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
And, you're cooking this with engine block heat?  [hence the manifold part, right?]  I'm not sure I'd be doing that with chicken.  Seems like you're rolling the dice with food poisoning.

The most surefire thing of which I can think are these Indian meals that come pre-cooked in a mylar-esque pouch.  A lot of riders will place them on their exhaust cans to heat them and some Unlce Ben's 90 second rice at the end of the day.  This stuff is all pre-cooked, so you're only trying to heat it, not cook it.

But think about it. Drive for two hours, its probably 300+ degrees in there.

Obviously its not something to do in a short drive, but its good for a couple hour drive.

I've been doing this since my dad showed me when i was a wee little lad. Never had a problem
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 8:06:52 PM EDT
[#10]
My uncle tells tales of heating his C-rats on the engine of his bulldozer in Korea.
Hot meal in a cold place = happy soldier.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 8:10:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Are you really going to have it on there during the drive, or just toss it on the engine block after you get there while doing the final packing up for the hike?

And, for fuck's sake, can we get some other ARFcommers in here to help out Sev89 ? He's trying to get chicken advice from a fucking vegetarian, and this is all I've got.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 8:14:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Are you really going to have it on there during the drive, or just toss it on the engine block after you get there while doing the final packing up for the hike?

And, for fuck's sake, can we get some other ARFcommers in here to help out Sev89 ? He's trying to get chicken advice from a fucking vegetarian, and this is all I've got.

hahahaha I had no idea you were a vedgetarian man. Now everything you've said makes sense. (not laughing at you, laughing at myself for being so damn confused)

Yes, you leave it on the block while you drive. Literally you place it on the engine block / intake manifold / exhaust manifold / etc (obviously where its not going to get sucked into the belts or whatever) and drive for X time

the driving keeps the engine at a consistent temperature (if you're on the highway and doing a constantish engine speed)

So when you get to the trailhead, you literally pop the hood, pull out the foil packs of food, throw them in a ziplock back and put the bag into your backpack and hike.

Edit: Just so everyone knows what I'm talking about http://www.instructables.com/id/Cooking...-with-your-car/
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 8:30:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Obviously its not something to do in a short drive, but its good for a couple hour drive.

I've been doing this since my dad showed me when i was a wee little lad. Never had a problem

We always did it on a run out to a fishing spot in the Gulf. Some of the best meals I've eaten were at 2am after pulling our tin box full of previously raw BBQ pork off the motor

Link Posted: 5/13/2012 8:40:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

We always did it on a run out to a fishing spot in the Gulf. Some of the best meals I've eaten were at 2am after pulling our tin box full of previously raw BBQ pork off the motor  

I know exactly what you mean.

The first time I did it I was in boy scouts, going on a camput with the troop.

Everyone looked at my dad and I crazy when we put our foil packs on the engine and slammed the hood.

They were looking at us jealously when we got to the campsite and pulled out warm delicious grub
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 8:40:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Ok, arccom, now we're getting somewhere.

We've got BBQ pork, c-rations, an elaborate engineering request from skibane, and some vegetarian crap....
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 8:47:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Ok, arccom, now we're getting somewhere.

We've got BBQ pork, c-rations, an elaborate engineering request from skibane, and some vegetarian crap....

hell yeah man. This is how we roll. 3-5 posts related to the OP, the rest goes off on tangents

It's past a lot of people's bedtimes anyway. Might get more in the later AM
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 12:21:33 PM EDT
[#17]
bump for some recipes
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top