Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/7/2012 2:03:22 PM EDT
Why is he so unsat with crooked, misaligned or upside down service stars?

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:05:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Top left, with 4 stars. That's why.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:05:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Bigger fish to fry I would imagine.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:07:11 PM EDT
[#3]
It's hard to keep your ribbons straight when you are tearing off heads and shitting down necks.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:08:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Back in those days it seems like everyone's racks were not perfect...I suspect it just wasn't a big deal then.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:08:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Generals don't have to follow the regs. His uniform is sat.

(At least these days, I don't know how it was back then. I am assuming it was similar)
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:09:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah I guess some tank iconners on here would have called his ass out on it too. Make him drop and give you 20.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:09:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I believe they were pretty much hand jammed individual set ups. Not the prepackaged slick stuff we have today. They were bigger too.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:10:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I believe they were pretty much hand jammed individual set ups. Not the prepackaged slick stuff we have today. They were bigger too.

Yeah, it looks like each row is an individual rack...fuck that. Can you imagine how hard it would be to get it right?
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:12:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

(At least these days, I don't know how it was back then. I am assuming it was similar)

I'm not a huge fan of the asshattery that goes on at the GO level, but I'll admit I've never seen a general with a fucked up uniform.

Of course that's probably because they have an aide do it, but the fact still remains...
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:12:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Because he hasn't killed anyone in like 10 min. and he is daring someone to call him out on it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:14:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not a huge fan of the asshattery that goes on at the GO level, but I'll admit I've never seen a general with a fucked up uniform.

Of course that's probably because they have an aide do it, but the fact still remains...

Chesty was the man, nothing more to be said.

The word "approximately" is in the ribbons and medals guidelines for a reason.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:14:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Top left, with 4 stars. That's why.

I know.

After hanging the five NC, DSC, SS, LoM (w/V), and BS (w/V) I'd be too tired to care much about where the rest wentt.

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:14:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, it looks like each row is an individual rack...fuck that. Can you imagine how hard it would be to get it right?

And here I though you guys are just better dressers

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:15:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm not what you mean by prepackaged. When I got out the stars are individual pieces which you have to push through the ribbon material.

Yes, the current racks are evenly spaced between each row.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:15:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Because it's proof that Garrison is fucking retarded and you don't need to have a perfectly pressed uniform with ribbons in perfect measurement in order to be good at your job.

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:16:00 PM EDT
[#16]
It was before the Gallus gallus domesticus dung became the name of the game in the military.  Back then they were more interested in what you could do.  It could also have to do with there was no one with enough balls or stupid enough to challenge him.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:16:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Back in those days it seems like everyone's racks were not perfect...I suspect it just wasn't a big deal then.

I don't recall ever seeing a perfect rack on a General Officer.

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:17:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Because it's proof that Garrison is fucking retarded and you don't need to have a perfectly pressed uniform with ribbons in perfect measurement in order to be good at your job.  

You can't be good at your job if you don't have discipline and you don't pay attention to detail.

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:18:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Look at pictures of all those old-school Marines.

Looking pretty wasn't as big of a priority in the Old Corps.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:19:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I guess he could of used a hero like you to tell him how to put on his uniform....

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:20:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Look at pictures of all those old-school Marines.

Looking pretty wasn't as big of a priority in the Old Corps.

This.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:24:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Because he's Chesty Fuckin' Puller and you don't ask him, that's why
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:25:14 PM EDT
[#23]
probably has to do with this:

Hell of a man
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:31:54 PM EDT
[#24]
He gets a pass from me.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:32:51 PM EDT
[#25]
What most folks don't know about Chesty is he was pretty much an ordinary Marine just trying to uphold the glory of the Corps.  Well, one day he was awarded a ribbon.  The day after that, some worthless fucking asshole told him his ribbon was "crooked", which sent Chesty into a multi-decade world wide ass kicking frenzy which resulted in him receiving more ribbons and more assholes telling him they were "crooked and the stars are upside down".  After a sufficient number of worthless fucking assholes in far away shit holes across the globe received the ass whoop'n they justly deserved, folks stopped telling Chesty how to wear his ribbons because they didn't want their ass kicked too.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:34:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:38:01 PM EDT
[#27]
That was back in the day before they had invented mutliple ribbon racks.

Ribbons also had a clear film on them like laminate, which if you find them today has turned yellow, dried and cracking.

Also, there wasn't any sort of guidance on spacing, alignment or other regs that we have now.

Although today, we do look a little sharper, and less..."grizzled".

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:44:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/gazettetimes.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/d/56/d56adc38-ce27-11e0-acb8-001cc4c03286/4e54b0ca92715.preview-300.jpg

I don't know, that looks like a nice rack, but I'm sure I've seen better looking racks...
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:47:43 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/gazettetimes.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/d/56/d56adc38-ce27-11e0-acb8-001cc4c03286/4e54b0ca92715.preview-300.jpg

She could NJP my ass all day

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:47:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What most folks don't know about Chesty is he was pretty much an ordinary Marine just trying to uphold the glory of the Corps.  Well, one day he was awarded a ribbon.  The day after that, some worthless fucking asshole told him his ribbon was "crooked", which sent Chesty into a multi-decade world wide ass kicking frenzy which resulted in him receiving more ribbons and more assholes telling him they were "crooked and the stars are upside down".  After a sufficient number of worthless fucking assholes in far away shit holes across the globe received the ass whoop'n they justly deserved, folks stopped telling Chesty how to wear his ribbons because they didn't want their ass kicked too.

Yhea, pretty much.

I seem to recall that he wanted to go to Vietnam so he could claim to have killed the enemy in every war during his life time, but they told him he was just way to old for that...They pretty much had to force him to retire and stop kicking people's asses so that the other guys could have a go at it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:49:00 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

http://www.tecom.usmc.mil/HD/images/Whos_Who/Hi_Res/PullerLB.jpg

because chesty didnt give a fuck about that shit.  he was busy killing the enemy

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:49:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks small to me.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:50:54 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yhea, pretty much.

I seem to recall that he wanted to go to Vietnam so he could claim to have killed the enemy in every war during his life time, but they told him he was just way to old for that...They pretty much had to force him to retire and stop kicking people's asses so that the other guys could have a go at it.
i see a LOT of Chesty Puller in Gen Mattis.  its too bad Mattis isnt the Commandant of the USMC.  

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:52:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Cuz he was muterfuckin' Chesty Puller- that's why.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:53:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Who is the OP to even ask such a retarded question?
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:56:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

In today's Army you would be WRONG.  Perfection in all things uniform is the STANDARD.  Nothing out of place, no button crooked.

Or we will KICK YOU OUT.

We have quota's to meet for downsizing, after all.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:56:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well there were no female general officers when you were in.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:58:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Well said!  

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 3:02:24 PM EDT
[#39]
I don't know for a fact, but something tells me that back in the day a General's staff took care of important shit, not the menial tasks they do now (preparing uniforms etc etc)

Also, the new craze of "There's no possible way you can fight the enemy with unbloused boots and/or your sleeves rolled up" is made up bullshit.

Look at pictures from WW2, Korea, Vietnam.

Those guys fought just fine, and fucked shit up all day long, and most of the time they were not within uniform regs.

As far as dress uniforms go, I doubt he gave a shit.

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 3:03:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

http://www.tecom.usmc.mil/HD/images/Whos_Who/Hi_Res/PullerLB.jpg

Chesty has more weight on his chest than you can lift in a gym...
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 3:06:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

BULLSHIT!

How can you be a good soldier without spit shined boots?

All discipline, integrity, honor, etc would disappear from the military if pants weren't creased and boots not shined or cleaned.

In all honesty, I think dress uniforms should look sharp, with proper creases, shined shoes (or boots if your one of those weirdos who jumps out of moving shit) gig line in place, proper placement of your rack etc.

But the stupidity that goes on with utility uniforms is fucking retarded.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 3:12:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Someone oughta life John Lejeune too, look at those medals.

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 3:12:32 PM EDT
[#43]
What happened to leading by example?
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 3:13:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Choke yourself.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 3:14:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Maybe he had priorities - and pencil-pushing, nit-picking BS wasn't among them?

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 3:17:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
That was back in the day before they had invented mutliple ribbon racks.

Ribbons also had a clear film on them like laminate, which if you find them today has turned yellow, dried and cracking.

Also, there wasn't any sort of guidance on spacing, alignment or other regs that we have now.

Although today, we do look a little sharper, and less..."grizzled".

There are a lot of old pictures of servicemen with rows of ribbons on separate racks that don't line up. Lots of old pictures of servicemen who just didn't bother wearing them, too. As stickfigure mentioned there wasn't the type of "rigid guidelines" there are today, but I'm also guessing many servicemen from that era (i.e. WWII) just didn't care about them. Lots of draftees fighting a horrible war, they just wanted to get home.

There are exceptions. My battalion (see Avatar) has always been an independent Airborne battalion. They never had their own patch. They came up the the "Gingerbread Man" and started wearing it over their hearts in WWII and the Army went apeshit, threatened to remove the battalion commander if they didn't take them off. He was eventually relieved of command for letting them wear the maroon beret (presented to them by British Airborne, not yet approved by the Army) but IIRC that was short-lived. Nonsensical........threatening commanders for allowing a little leeway on field uniforms in combat while they wear a hodgepodge arrangement of ribbon bars.

None of my grandfather's pictures from WWII have any ribbons on his dress uniform. He never bothered sewing on a combat patch either. He had them, gave them to me shortly before he died, but not sure if he ever wore them. i was surprised to see a picture of my father when he was about 5 (1952) wearing a First Army t-shirt. I've never seen pictures of military t-shirts from that time period (not "issue" t-shirts, but civilian t-shirts with unit insignia).

From my own reading it appears the Marines had even less guidance than the Army. There's a wide range of patches and how they were worn from unit to unit. I read somewhere the Marines left much of it up to unit commanders until after WWII. It's an interesting aspect of American military history researching uniform variations and the reasoning behind them.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 3:20:25 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

To some of us, leading by example means killing the fucking enemy and accomplishing the mission with honor. Leading by example has less to do with hands in the pockets or wearing beanies before 0800 in AFG, or a very slightly crooked ribbon rack.

I get yelled at a lot by senior SNCO's in can you haven't figured that out
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 3:21:52 PM EDT
[#48]
So just who is this girl "Chesty" and does she, or does she not have a nice rack

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 3:22:16 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

This was Old Corps leading by example....where it mattered.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top