Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2012 1:59:26 AM EDT
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/17953792

Giant dinosaurs could have warmed the planet with their flatulence, say researchers.

British scientists have calculated the methane output of sauropods, including the species known as Brontosaurus.

By scaling up the digestive wind of cows, they estimate that the population of dinosaurs - as a whole - produced 520 million tonnes of gas annually.

They suggest the gas could have been a key factor in the warm climate 150 million years ago.

Previous studies have suggested that the Earth was up to 10C (18F) warmer in the Mesozoic Era.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:02:07 AM EDT
[#1]
What a bunch of assholes.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:02:44 AM EDT
[#2]
And how do they know the population numbers..?
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:03:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Tell ur mom to stop farting
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:05:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

They're important scientists so they probably extrapolated from known fossil density taking into account the maximum population supported by global fauna levels adjusted for predicted migration patterns......  or maybe they just guessed.

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:34:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

They're important scientists so they probably extrapolated from known fossil density taking into account the maximum population supported by global fauna levels adjusted for predicted migration patterns......  or maybe they just guessed.  

Oh yeah.. I see.. A SWAG

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:37:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:44:43 AM EDT
[#7]
And these very people have the nerve to act openly pissed when we make fun of such stupid garbage. What a crock of shit. These people are a bunch of loons.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 3:01:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I wonder if dinosaurs were delicious.

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 3:14:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes but I don't remember there being any suggestion that the earth warmed 5000 years ago....
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 3:41:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Giant dinosaurs could have warmed the planet with their flatulence, say researchers.

British scientists have calculated the methane output of sauropods, including the species known as Brontosaurus.

By scaling up the digestive wind of cows, they estimate that the population of dinosaurs - as a whole - produced 520 million tonnes of gas annually.

They suggest the gas could have been a key factor in the warm climate 150 million years ago.

Previous studies have suggested that the Earth was up to 10C (18F) warmer in the Mesozoic Era.

So the big yellow thing in the sky had nothing to do with this? I’m not a scientist I’m not even that smart. But I thing the big yellow thing in the sky I call it the sun heats the planet. More solar out put warmer planet less solar out put cooler planet.

IT’S THE SUN YOU DUMASS YOUR NOT SCIENTIST YOU POLITICANS IN LAB COATS.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 3:42:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Tasted like chicken
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 4:06:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 4:09:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Man, forget studying them, this right here is why we need a real life Jurassic Park. Im totally down for some Kentucky Fried Raptor.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 5:04:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Just like the beaver, they were modifying the environment to enhance their own survivability.  Like it or not, it was nature taking it's course.  There were between 30,000,0000 to 40,000,000 bison roaming the American Great Plains farting up a storm during the "Mini Ice Age".  Think of how bad it would have been without them.  

Then there was the great extinction that left us all the red clay down south.  Back in the day, the oceans were full of iron and had a green tint to them.  Along came a life form that absolutely thrived in that environment.  The trouble was all the gasses that resulted the waste product of their eating.  Billions and billions of tons of the stuff.  As a result the iron in the water started falling out of solution and the oceans turned blue and the life forms died off from all the toxic gasses in the water and air.  The gaseous byproduct they were filling the environment with was oxygen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 5:17:59 AM EDT
[#16]

At least we know they definitely put beans in their chile .....
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 5:21:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Still a false premise from idiots that don't understand heat and mass transfer through the Troposphere.  They use false analogies (like Venus) to predict temperature on the surface.

Venus isn't hot because its atmosphere is 90% carbon dioxide, it is hot because there is no water, there are oceans of sulfuric acid and the atmospheric pressure is 100 times that of Earth.  And it is closer to the Sun, without any magnetic field to shelter the atmosphere from Solar wind so the lighter gases are stripped away.

Methane is a light gas (molecular weight of 16, our air is 28.97) and it is ripped apart in the upper Stratosphere by UV light.

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 5:24:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Maybe I am an idiot and know very little about biology...

But if you increased the food source (CO2) and warmed areas of the planet to make previously uninhabitable parts more habitable, wouldn't that have increased the carrying capacity of plants and made them more abundant, thus leading to an eventual decrease in CO2?

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 5:37:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Pull my tail?
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 5:39:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Ban Dinosaurs!
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 5:46:36 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

But if you increased the food source (CO2) and warmed areas of the planet to make previously uninhabitable parts more habitable, wouldn't that have increased the carrying capacity of plants and made them more abundant, thus leading to an eventual decrease in CO2?

Most photosynthetic life is in the OCEANS.  Which is why 85% of the oxygen comes from the oceans.  Yet many areas of the oceans are nearly devoid of photosynthetic life because of lack of trace minerals, mostly iron.

Dust storms off deserts like the Gobi and Sahara contain iron, only it cannot be utilized because it won't dissolve.  Sulfur from volcanoes and the burning of coal makes this iron dissolve, meaning it can fertilize the oceans.  This was demonstrated by the eruption of Pinatubo.

Now, back to carbon dioxide...over half of the anthropogenic carbon dioxide from combustion of fossil fuels is absorbed by the Earth every year.  This is missing carbon.  Where is it going?  The scientists don't know because their model is wrong (as are all models) to the point of it not be useful.  Their wrong model is scary, which is why they use it.

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 5:49:08 AM EDT
[#22]
As one of the articles quoted, "Live by the Fart, Die by the Fart".
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 5:55:00 AM EDT
[#23]
The chili the dinosaurs were eating must've had beans in it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 5:56:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Also, don't termites contribute more CO2 than humans?  Yet we hear for years about how manmade global warming is destroying the planet.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 6:05:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The earth manufactures hydrocarbons all by itself, without the help of any organic organisms...and it FAR exceeds the volume of all organic organisms.

Modern science, if funded by government, can easily make a case for or against any issue they want.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 6:17:22 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The earth manufactures hydrocarbons all by itself, without the help of any organic organisms...and it FAR exceeds the volume of all organic organisms.

Modern science, if funded by government, can easily make a case for or against any issue they want.

What is the genesis of the elemental carbon for your abiogenic hypothesis?  Carbonaceous meteorites entering the atmosphere prior to the oxygen catastrophe?  This is a chicken-egg question.  Because if there were  free oxygen in  the atmosphere, they would  certainly burn in the atmosphere and therefore, no elemental carbon to be buried.  If there were no oxygen, then there would be  carbon dioxide which would require excess free carbon which has not been found in appreciable geologic concentration outside of diamonds in Kimberlite pipes.  And that form of carbon is quite immune to petroleum formation.

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 6:22:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

What is the genesis of the elemental carbon for your abiogenic hypothesis?  Carbonaceous meteorites entering the atmosphere prior to the oxygen catastrophe?  This is a chicken-egg question.  Because if there were  free oxygen in  the atmosphere, they would  certainly burn in the atmosphere and therefore, no elemental carbon to be buried.  If there were no oxygen, then there would be  carbon dioxide which would require excess free carbon which has not been found in appreciable geologic concentration outside of diamonds in Kimberlite pipes.  And that form of carbon is quite immune to petroleum formation.

It is?

I always assumed that all carbon could become petroleum with enough "influence".

I thought I read once that a diamond could be made into petroleum with enough pressure and heat, grinding, etc.?  Must have read it wrong or maybe it was beyond the normal abilities of the Earth to generate?
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 6:22:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Er... no.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 6:22:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
[/div][div]British scientists have calculated the methane output of sauropods, including the species known as Brontosaurus.[/div][div]

I thought a few years ago it was decided there was never Brontosaurus?

What we thought Brontosaurus was a Apatosaurus with the head of  Camarasaurus mistakenly matched to the wrong body.

Wait till they hear about Triceritops.
 Now Scannella and Horner say that triceratops is merely the juvenile form of torosaurus. As the animal aged, its horns changed shape and orientation and its frill became longer, thinner and less jagged

CW

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 6:27:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[/div][div]British scientists have calculated the methane output of sauropods, including the species known as Brontosaurus.[/div][div]

I thought a few years ago it was decided there was never Brontosaurus?

What we thought Brontosaurus was a Apatosaurus with the head of  Camarasaurus mistakenly matched to the wrong body.

Wait till they hear about Triceritops.
 Now Scannella and Horner say that triceratops is merely the juvenile form of torosaurus. As the animal aged, its horns changed shape and orientation and its frill became longer, thinner and less jagged

CW

Just looked up both - very fascinating. Brotosaurus and Triceratops are practically ingrained in our culture as children.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 6:53:39 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is?

I always assumed that all carbon could become petroleum with enough "influence".

I thought I read once that a diamond could be made into petroleum with enough pressure and heat, grinding, etc.?  Must have read it wrong or maybe it was beyond the normal abilities of the Earth to generate?

Water is necessary for synthesis of petroleum from kerogen.  If it is dry, the kerogen is turned into gaseous species with ultimate cracking to methane.

Catalytic cracking was discovered by chemical engineers long before it was discovered to happen naturally in formations which is the process of turning kerogen into petroleum.

Diamonds are igneous, any water there is far past critical temperature which means cracking of carbon cannot happen.  No hydrogen

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 6:55:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I hear they tasted a lot like chicken.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 7:11:25 AM EDT
[#33]
And the Dinos died out allowing mammals to take over as dominant species.

I don't see the problem.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 7:12:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

It is?

Water is necessary for synthesis of petroleum from kerogen.  If it is dry, the kerogen is turned into gaseous species with ultimate cracking to methane.

Catalytic cracking was discovered by chemical engineers long before it was discovered to happen naturally in formations which is the process of turning kerogen into petroleum.

Diamonds are igneous, any water there is far past critical temperature which means cracking of carbon cannot happen.  No hydrogen

Thanks for the info.

I simply never knew this about diamonds.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 8:00:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Natural gas is earth farts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TXL
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 8:58:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Of all the carbon on and in the Earth, twice as much exists in methane than all other fossil fuels combined.  In geologic time scale, there are many times when these reservoirs of methane were released.  Any dinosaur farts would be less than a BB in a boxcar.

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 9:13:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Through years of extensive research and funding through private groups I have discovered my piss is responsible for flooding occurring around the world.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 1:40:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'll bet they tasted like chicken.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 1:44:00 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So the big yellow thing in the sky had nothing to do with this? I’m not a scientist I’m not even that smart. But I thing the big yellow thing in the sky I call it the sun heats the planet. More solar out put warmer planet less solar out put cooler planet.

IT’S THE SUN YOU DUMASS YOUR NOT SCIENTIST YOU POLITICANS IN LAB COATS.
How is baby formed?

Oh, and BTW, solar output has not correlated with the temperature changes we've seen, hence the reason the whole GW hypothesis exists.

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 1:45:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Or could have been that fucking huge asteroid that hit Mexico.... but whatever.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 1:47:21 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Not necessarily.

It all is highly dependant on the ecosystems these plants are growing in.

For example, I've heard that young forests absorb CO2 like a mofo, but old growth forests do not.  Without knowing the specific environments that existed millions of years ago, its pretty hard to say.

I think you assumption is about as accurate as the dinosaur farts assumption.

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 1:49:21 PM EDT
[#42]
there was also a MUCH higher concentration of CO2.  like.. humans wouldnt be too happy high.

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 1:49:27 PM EDT
[#43]
haha he said "dinosaur farts"
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 1:49:28 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Also, don't termites contribute more CO2 than humans?  Yet we hear for years about how manmade global warming is destroying the planet.

Termites eat wood, that is made from C taken from C02 from the atmosphere.

Most of the C02 humans output is from fossil fuels, which comes from deep within the earth.  That's why our output is increasing the concentration in the atmosphere.

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 1:53:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Ban dinosaurs!
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 2:07:48 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not necessarily.

It all is highly dependant on the ecosystems these plants are growing in.

For example, I've heard that young forests absorb CO2 like a mofo, but old growth forests do not.  Without knowing the specific environments that existed millions of years ago, its pretty hard to say.

I think you assumption is about as accurate as the dinosaur farts assumption.

Rather trivial.  The total system of the carbon cycle is poorly understood.  This is why there is missing carbon, that anthropogenic carbon which ends up missing in the atmosphere each year.  That is over HALF the anthropogenic carbon. Which means there are active processes outside of the known observation which are sequestering carbon from the air.

Forests are a trivial part of the total carbon cycle.  Oceans are the bulk, over 85% of photosynthetic activity is in the water.

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 3:39:43 PM EDT
[#47]
These scientists are getting out of hand
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 3:45:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Ugh.
A major factor of their premise is dino-farts?
Christ.

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 3:46:37 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

These scientists are getting out of hand

+1   How many billions is this new research escapade gonna cost us

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 3:59:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Rosie O'Donnell's farts are now causing global warming.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top