Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 10:10:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Many hours of scouring the internet has shown there are at least 6 men who have served in all four branches of the DoD.  Googling stuff like "all branches of military" brings up thousands of veterans' day and memorial day ceremonies.  A couple of the articles use terms not common in the military (hired by the Marines), but I think it was due to ignorance of the reporter.  I don't know how to hot-link the articles, sorry.

Courtland Johnson: Started in the Merchant Marine, Army Air Corps (USAF before it was a seperate branch), USMC reserves (hit the beach at Inchon and fought his way out from the Chosin), Army reserve, Navy (it looks like he retired as an active duty Master Chief).
http://www.zoominfo.com/#!search/profile/person?personId=1227201691&targetid=profile

Bob Button:Merchant Marine (under age), Navy (kick out when the learned he was still underage), Army Air Force (USAF before it was a seperate branch), got out, joined the Army (to go to Korea, 3 purple hearts) Marine Corps, Army reserve, and as of 2009 at the age of 80, was using his privately owned plane to fly SAR for the Coast Guard Auxiliary.
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2009/11/jersey_city_veteran_served_in.html

Edward Jones: Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force.  Retired as a master Sergeant in 1991, died 2008
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-76012.html

Joe Losano: Marine Corps, Army Reserve, Army Guard, active Air Force, ––out entirely–– Army Guard (enlisted 9-11-02, and went to Afghanistan) Air Force Reserve (Iraq), and joined the Navy Reserve in 2011.  Article says he met two men sho served in all four branches, but doesn't say who they are.
http://www.wickedlocal.com/swampscott/newsnow/x1306273054/Swampscott-resident-Losano-enlists-in-fourth-branch-of-service#axzz1u8oKaj22

Yonel Dorelis (the only officer I've found): Marine Corps, switched to Navy (CH-53 pilot) as the USMC had to many pilot candidates, and he wanted to be a military pilot.  Army Guard, Air Guard (rescue), Active Air Force (CSAR in Afghanistan and Iraq, including a Distinguished Flying Cross earned during OP Anaconda).
http://www.nellis.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123234926

Thug_Hunter12: Marine Corps (0311),  USMCR (STA), Army Guard (11B),  was out entirely, and decided to go back in Sep 01.  USNR (Master-At-Arms, Iraq twice with a CAR, among others)  When my second Navy enlistment ended, immediately went to Air National Guard (3PO51 Security Forces).  I had to give up a rank, I'm a Technical Sergeant (E6).    

As you might imagine, I'd very very interested to learn of any other 4 branch vets.

You wouldnt happen to be station at the air field at Ft Bliss would you. And does "used ad abused by the DoD" sound familiar.
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 10:10:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What color is the boathouse in Hereford?

Don't know about the boat house, but the feedlot stinks.

Ha
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 12:00:36 AM EDT
[#3]
The sight used by the pilot to of the original AC-47s in Vietnam was the ordinary reflex sight on most US fighters during WW2.  It was mounted to the left of the pilot.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 3:10:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Simos are so much easier with 05s than 155s just because of the nature of the loading sequence
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 3:25:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thug_Hunter12: Marine Corps (0311),  USMCR (STA), Army Guard (11B),  was out entirely, and decided to go back in Sep 01.  USNR (Master-At-Arms, Iraq twice with a CAR, among others)  When my second Navy enlistment ended, immediately went to Air National Guard (3PO51 Security Forces).  I had to give up a rank, I'm a Technical Sergeant (E6).    

As you might imagine, I'd very very interested to learn of any other 4 branch vets.

You wouldnt happen to be station at the air field at Ft Bliss would you. And does "used ad abused by the DoD" sound familiar.[/quote]

Nope, never been to Bliss.  Do you have info on another 4 branch guy?
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 8:17:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You wouldnt happen to be station at the air field at Ft Bliss would you. And does "used ad abused by the DoD" sound familiar.

Nope, never been to Bliss.  Do you have info on another 4 branch guy?[/quote]

Yep. But for the life of me I cant remember his name. Hes with the texas Air Guard. IIRC He started in the marines, then went army, navy and I met him as a SrA in a cop squadron. This was 2008.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 8:31:42 AM EDT
[#7]
"Old Ironsides" doesn't really have sides made of iron.  

...but she is the oldest commissioned ship in the fleet.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 8:38:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Told to me by  a WWII Filipino vet:

TOT (Time On Target) is a practice whereby you coordinate all your tube artillery on one spot at one time... the original "Shock and Awe" tactic. According to my source, unless the target is at or near the extreme range of the gun, it is possible to fire TOT from a single gun! By raising the barrel to its maximum elevation (for a given target) and firing a shot, then lowering the barrel for a direct-fire shot, you could put two rounds on a single target at the same time.

True, and depending on the situation/data, is easy with practice.  Probably even easier if you have one of those push button 109A6 or 777A2...of course the ammo for those is a disadvantage...range is an advantage, but that won't stop my computerized gun hatred.

Even so, I've done it before with a 105 battery many times.  Done it a few times elsewhere.  

It also comes in handy if you are shooting a coordinated illum with a 2 gun platoon....fire illum with 1 gun, adjust HE with the other gun, and when you get to the fire for effect phase, fire illum with one gun-set it on low angle HE data and fire HE with both guns.

I never really thought about it before, but I was impressed with the ability of the Crusader to deliver half a dozen rounds simultaneously by elevating the tube at different angles, and using different charges with each successive round fired.  That, and I suppose the auto-loader brought a new capability to the table.

We need that system.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 9:51:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

At the risk of dicing an apple, the Japanese Government does not decide, does not say, what the US government will do nor what its state is in the world.

("Major, you declare war today on the Cardessians. Fortunally, they decided not to accept."––Bajorian leader, (w,stte), "DS 9")

"I ask that the Congress declare that since the unprovoked and dastardly attack by Japan on Sunday, 7 December, a state of war has existed between the United States and the Japanese Empire. "

because of the insane sense of honor the japanese had, the ambassador to the US was quite angry that the attack happened before a declaration of war on the US.  said something along the lines of a surprise attack like that has no honor.

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 10:06:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
"Old Ironsides" doesn't really have sides made of iron.  

...but she is the oldest commissioned ship in the fleet.  

she is the world's oldest commissioned naval vessel afloat

Old Ironsides was so nick-named after a battle with HMS Guerriere,  whose shot bounced off the sides of the Constitution... some soldier said "Her sides are like iron!"

Wikipedia article

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

The USS Arizona is NOT still commissioned, as is popularly believed; she was decommissioned on 29 December 1941.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 10:13:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

At the risk of dicing an apple, the Japanese Government does not decide, does not say, what the US government will do nor what its state is in the world.

"I ask that the Congress declare that since the unprovoked and dastardly attack by Japan on Sunday, 7 December, a state of war has existed between the United States and the Japanese Empire. "

because of the insane sense of honor the japanese had, the ambassador to the US was quite angry that the attack happened before a declaration of war on the US.  said something along the lines of a surprise attack like that has no honor.

I asked a friend about this once. This statement may have been a face-saving manuver. The Japanese subscribed to the code of Bushido. My friend, who studied martial arts, stated that Bushido maintains that if you are going to dress like a warrior, behave like a warrior, etc, you should be ready at all times for attack. Under this code, the attack on Pearl Harbor was not as disgraceful as it might seem. This is disturbingly like the attack on Russia in 1904, where the Japanese fleet attacked Port Arthur three hours before they declared war on Russia.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 1:17:48 PM EDT
[#12]
there are 2 reasons given for the name "Blimp," meaning a barrage balloon or free-flying airship.

The first  (and most likely) was that the limp (meaning there was no frame inside) barrage balloons of WWI were called "Balloon, Class B, limp."

The other reason was that a British aviator was amused by the sound they made when inflated, and struck sharply with a flick of the finger.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 1:39:02 PM EDT
[#13]
What American destroyer fought on BOTH sides of the Pacific campaign?
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:47:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

U.S.S. Obama?

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 5:16:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

U.S.S. Obama?

Nope.  USS Stewart, DD-224.   Damaged in drydock in the Dutch East Indies after traying to stem the Japanese tide, she was repaired and put into service under the Japanese a year later as "Patrol Boat No. 102".  WIth 3 of her four boilers working, (later raised to three), she almost certainly sank the U.S. submarine Harder, and probably another.  Eventually recaptured in August, 1945, her jury-rigged engines gave out near Guam, and she ended up being towed back to the West Coast, where she was eventually expended as.... a target for aircraft!  What an incredible career - shame this one couldn't be saved for a museum ...

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 5:39:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

during WW2 there were actually serious proposals to build pycreat ships.  whats pycreat?  its ice with saw dust mixed in.  

Pyecrete was a badass idea!

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 6:03:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

U.S.S. Obama?

Nope.  USS Stewart, DD-224.   Damaged in drydock in the Dutch East Indies after traying to stem the Japanese tide, she was repaired and put into service under the Japanese a year later as "Patrol Boat No. 102".  WIth 3 of her four boilers working, (later raised to three), she almost certainly sank the U.S. submarine Harder, and probably another.  Eventually recaptured in August, 1945, her jury-rigged engines gave out near Guam, and she ended up being towed back to the West Coast, where she was eventually expended as.... a target for aircraft!  What an incredible career - shame this one couldn't be saved for a museum ...

Reminds me of the U.S.S. Hancock.  Started out as a Revolutionary American frigate and ended up serving in both the French and British navies.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Hancock_%281776%29

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 6:13:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

IIRC, America's most famous armor General, G. S. Patton,  also was the designer of the Army's final Cavalry sword.

and its first tanker uniform. He was also an Olympic athlete, wealthiest Officer in the Military, and when he was assigned to Hawaii, he loaded his family on his boat and sailed there himself.

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 6:38:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
IIRC, America's most famous armor General, G. S. Patton,  also was the designer of the Army's final Cavalry sword.

and its first tanker uniform. He was also an Olympic athlete, wealthiest Officer in the Military, and when he was assigned to Hawaii, he loaded his family on his boat and sailed there himself.  

ALso planned & lead the first motorized assault in history, while chasing Pancho Villa.

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 10:36:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

ALso planned & lead the first motorized assault in history, while chasing Pancho Villa.

Notched his pistol too.

Link Posted: 5/9/2012 7:26:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

When he participated in the 1912 Stockholm Olympics he competed with a .38 caliber revolver while everyone else used .22s.
Link Posted: 5/20/2012 10:07:23 PM EDT
[#22]
there are 2 reasons given for the name "Blimp," meaning a barrage balloon or free-flying airship.

The first  (and most likely) was that the limp (meaning there was no frame inside) barrage balloons of WWI were called "Balloon, Class B, limp."

The other reason was that a British aviator was amused by the sound they made when inflated, and struck sharply with a flick of the finger.

The "Jeep" was named after a Popeye character!

Many, including R. Lee Ermey, suggest that soldiers of World War II were so impressed with the new Jeep vehicle that they informally named it after Eugene the Jeep as "small, able to move between dimensions and could solve seemingly impossible problems."[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_the_Jeep
Link Posted: 5/20/2012 10:29:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Key facts about Teak Wood:
#1 - NOT SLIPPERY EVEN WHEN WET
#2 - DOES NOT SPLINTER
#3 - TEMPERATURE NEUTRAL
#4 - RESIST MILDEW, MOLD AND DECAY!
Link Posted: 5/20/2012 10:47:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Closest situation I can think of that we have is weird situations in our reserve component - specifically the the National Guard.

Many full time state jobs "civilian" jobs and on a civilian pay scale, but require that you be a member of the Guard.  Your rank in the Guard is barely relevant, so it is entirely possible that a given National guard maintenance operation might be run by a guy subordinate on the military side to another employee.

It gets crazier when you realize that they actually may have to wear military uniforms to their "civilian" job - because it really is a military operation, the pay scale thing is an exercise in creative accounting and legal status more than anything - but position still trumps rank.  Come drill weekend, when everyone is officially on "military" status, rank and the official military positions takes over.  

I've only seen that once, where the Sergeant Major of the Guard unit was the head honcho technician during the weak, and had multiple officers working under him as quality controller supervisors and what not.  They had gone to OCS to get commissioned in the Guard, but kept their old civilian job.

Related note: The former Lt Governor of Guam (Cruz) also holds the rank of Colonel in the Guam National Guard. On the weekdays, he was superior to the TAG, a full-timer. On weekends, when he put on the uniform, the TAG was his boss.
Link Posted: 5/20/2012 10:56:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
RPG firing in a windy weather-the aim correction must be opposite to the wind's direction .  

Sabot ammunition fired from a tank (eg an Abrams) has the same effect.

TOT (Time On Target) is a practice whereby you coordinate all your tube artillery on one spot at one time... the original "Shock and Awe" tactic. According to my source, unless the target is at or near the extreme range of the gun, it is possible to fire TOT from a single gun! By raising the barrel to its maximum elevation (for a given target) and firing a shot, then lowering the barrel for a direct-fire shot, you could put two rounds on a single target at the same time.

Modern howitzer, such as PzH2000 are capable of a 5-round TOT from a single tube.

HMS Trinidad, a cruiser, managed to torpedo itself with a straight-running torpedo fired at German warships.

At least one jet aircraft has shot itself down with its own fixed forward-firing cannon.
Link Posted: 5/20/2012 11:21:42 PM EDT
[#26]
In the Guam harbor, there are 2 ships that sank, and landed right next to each other.

If you were to go scuba diving, you could touch both ships at the same time.

The interesting thing about this is that, one of the ships (a German ship) sank during WW1.

The other ship (Japanese) sank during WW2.

Link Posted: 5/21/2012 9:22:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Closest situation I can think of that we have is weird situations in our reserve component - specifically the the National Guard.

Many full time state jobs "civilian" jobs and on a civilian pay scale, but require that you be a member of the Guard.  Your rank in the Guard is barely relevant, so it is entirely possible that a given National guard maintenance operation might be run by a guy subordinate on the military side to another employee.

It gets crazier when you realize that they actually may have to wear military uniforms to their "civilian" job - because it really is a military operation, the pay scale thing is an exercise in creative accounting and legal status more than anything - but position still trumps rank.  Come drill weekend, when everyone is officially on "military" status, rank and the official military positions takes over.  

I've only seen that once, where the Sergeant Major of the Guard unit was the head honcho technician during the weak, and had multiple officers working under him as quality controller supervisors and what not.  They had gone to OCS to get commissioned in the Guard, but kept their old civilian job.

Related note: The former Lt Governor of Guam (Cruz) also holds the rank of Colonel in the Guam National Guard. On the weekdays, he was superior to the TAG, a full-timer. On weekends, when he put on the uniform, the TAG was his boss.

Just prior to the Civil War, on October 16, 1859, an insurrection led by white abolitionist John Brown had to be put down by Federal troops. It was contained by local militia, but the actual attack on the armory at Harper's Ferry had to be conducted by better-drilled troops. Some Marines were sent under the command of a Union major who had just arrived from the western frontier.

The problem was that the militia was led by a putative colonel (which was usually the case: a locally-raised regiment had a [usually self-appointed] colonel in charge). This would have created a major breach of military courtesy: a  major giving orders to a colonel was simply unheard of. In route to the Armory, the major was given a brevet promotion to Colonel. He successfully commanded the attack on the Armory, and Brown was arrested and subsequently hanged.

The name of the Union Army major who was promoted to Colonel? Robert E. Lee... assisted by a Lieutenant named  J.E.B. Stuart!

Lee was later offered the job of preparing the Army for war against the insurrectionist South. He refused, and instead ended up leading the Southern army.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 9:29:05 PM EDT
[#28]
A story from Chuck Yeager:

One fine morning, he and another pilot were flying along in their jet fighters (F-100s IIRC) when the other pilot decided to land on a dry lake bed (this was near Edwards AFB). Yeager warned the other pilot that the lake bed only looked dry; it had rained a few days earlier so there was a dry crust on top of wet, ropy mud.

The other pilot decided to land anyway and got his aircraft stuck. It was several hours, if not the next day, before the pilot was rescued. They came back a week later, when the lake bed was truly dry, to rescue the fighter.

These jets needed a start cart to get the engine RPMs high enough to start–– about 3 to 5% of total RPMs. Yeager was able to "jump start" the engine by parking a F-86 in front of it and blowing hot air into the intake. They dug the F-100 out and flew it out.

The name of the other pilot was Neil Armstrong!
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 10:42:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The Japanese had no problems attacking the Russians in 1904 three hours before declaring war.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 10:44:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Once on maneuvers pre WWII, Patton refueled his armor unit at a local gas station and paid the bill personally.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 11:23:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
In the Guam harbor, there are 2 ships that sank, and landed right next to each other.

If you were to go scuba diving, you could touch both ships at the same time.

The interesting thing about this is that, one of the ships (a German ship) sank during WW1.

The other ship (Japanese) sank during WW2.

The Tokai Maru and the Cormoran.

It's a pretty cool dive until the dive charters stir up the silt.
Link Posted: 5/22/2012 8:24:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Underwater mines (Sea Mines), are broken down into 3 different categories.

1. Bottom mines
2. Floating mines
3. Anchored mines

When an underwater mine (bottom or anchored) explodes, it is not the explosion that damages the ship, it is the HUGE gas bubble created by the explosion, that lifts the ship up out of the water, and when the ship comes back down, the force cracks the keel of the ship.

(doesn't literally lift the ship out of the water, just pushes it up enough, that when it comes back down, the weight of the ship cracks it's own keel)

The floating mines (usually seen as a round ball with spikes), are the ones where the damage results from an explosion when the ship makes contact with the mine.

Link Posted: 5/22/2012 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Willis Augustus "Ching" Lee, Jr.  is usually remembered as the Admiral in command of the task force containing the fast battleships Washington and South Dakota during the naval battle off Guadalcanal where Washington sank the IJN battlship Kirishima.

He was also a distant relative of General Robert E Lee of Civil War fame.  

He was a shooter to and killed some snipers, from wiki:  
Lee's specialty in life was gunnery. At the age of 19 in 1907 "he became the only American to win both the US National High Power Rifle and Pistol championships in the same year." In 1914 during the Vera Cruz campaign in Mexico he drew the fire of three enemy snipers, thereby exposing their positions and then shot them at long range.

He participated in the 1920 Olympics, also from  wiki:
Lee was also a skilled sport shooter, and won 7 medals in the 1920 Olympics shooting events (including five gold medals), tied with teammate Lloyd Spooner for the most anyone had ever received in a single games. Their record stood for 60 years. He was the most successful athlete at the 1920 Olympics.

CW
Link Posted: 5/22/2012 9:15:21 PM EDT
[#34]
I didn't read all five pages because I am lazy but never become married while in the armed forces.  

Your spouse who is deployed will want to stick his dick in anything that moves and remember that your stay at home wife will be at the NCO club looking for anything to stick into her pussy while you are away.
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 11:39:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I didn't read all five pages because I am lazy but never become married while in the armed forces.  

Your spouse who is deployed will want to stick his dick in anything that moves and remember that your stay at home wife will be at the NCO club looking for anything to stick into her pussy while you are away.

Bitter post is bitter.

The deck worker of an aircraft carrier (while conducting flight operations) is the most dangerous job postings in the United States Military.

Robert E. Lee went through the West Point Military Academy without accumulating a single demerit... a record not equaled before or after his service.
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 11:49:32 AM EDT
[#36]
"They couldn't hit an elephant at that distance" were the last words of Major General John Sedgwick right before getting shot in the face.
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 12:13:59 PM EDT
[#37]
the only five star general to ever command the us was

general john black jack pershing
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 12:28:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What color is the boathouse in Hereford?

Link Posted: 5/24/2012 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
First verifiable air to air kill  {American v Japanese] in WWII was by a gunner on board a PBY Catalina  Dec 10 1941.

Several pilots got confirmed (6?) air to air kills at Pearl Harbor Dec 7th. George Welch, heir to the juice company got 4 confirmed that day alone.   George Welch

He did not get the Medal of Honor because he took off without orders.

CW

I suspect we are dicing an orange here. War was not declared on December 7 so hence, it is debatable to when the first air to air kill was made in WWII.

I imagine there are similar questions with what occurred during the Neutrality Patrol of whether or not they count in WWII.

You are incorrect the Japanese declared war on the US during the attack. They were late and had wanted to deliver the declaration before the attack. WWII also started in 1939 not 1941.

CW

Why not 1937?

Because, while there was shooting there was no declaration of war delayed or not.
the issue was resolved diplomatically.

And then we returned the favor with the Flying tigers before Pearl Harbor.
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 12:49:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Told to me by  a WWII Filipino vet:

This is the same guy who told me of keeping a few empty M1 Garand clips in his pocket. He'd fire a couple of rounds and throw an empty clip against a rock. The enemy soldier, thinking he was reloading, would charge and he'd drop the BG in his tracks!

(This guy was definately not PC when it came to the subject of Japanese people. He'd seen executions and brutality at the hands of the IJA and had no forgiveness for them.)

IIRC TOT was developed by the French
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 12:59:33 PM EDT
[#41]
All of President Roosevelts (Theodore) sons served in World War 1.

One (flyer) was KIA

The only US General officer in the first wave on Omaha (IIRC) beach?  Teddy Roosevelt Jr.

The only father son duo on Omaha Beach?  Jr and his son.

Teddy Roosevelt Jr. died of a heart attack around amonth after D-Day.  He concealed the heart problem with the help of his DR. so he could command his division.

Link Posted: 5/24/2012 1:08:43 PM EDT
[#42]
The French Temeraire class ship of the line has the record for the largest class of capital ship in history.  107 examples were built between 1782 and 1813.  At the time, the 74 gun ship was the most common battleship in all major navies, being large enough to carry 32 pound guns as its main battery (typically the largest long guns carried by any ship of the line) while still being a two-deck ship rather than a larger, less maneuverable, and more costly three-deck flagship.  While the British navy dominated this period of warfare, the French navy was actually the lead innovator of naval ship types, including the 74 gun ship.  The Royal Navy tended to copy French designs, and copied the Temeraire with the Pompee and America classes.

Link Posted: 5/24/2012 1:11:20 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Incorrect. There were multiple "5-star" (called General of the Army) generals in WWII. There's only ever been 1 General of the Air Force; Hap Arnold.

Pershing, however, held a special rank which is technically senior to the 5-star ranking making it a theoretical 6-star rank call General of the Armies. Pershing and George Dewey were the only living recipients of this rank (with Dewey's rank being called Admiral of the Navy) and as such it has no official insignia. With Pershing and Dewey, George Washington was given this rank posthumously by act of congress. This act stipulates that George Washington will always be considered the most senior military commander of the United States.

Link Posted: 5/24/2012 1:20:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Incorrect. There were multiple "5-star" (called General of the Army) generals in WWII. There's only ever been 1 General of the Air Force; Hap Arnold.

Pershing, however, held a special rank which is technically senior to the 5-star ranking making it a theoretical 6-star rank call General of the Armies. Pershing and George Dewey were the only living recipients of this rank (with Dewey's rank being called Admiral of the Navy) and as such it has no official insignia. With Pershing and Dewey, George Washington was given this rank posthumously by act of congress. This act stipulates that George Washington will always be considered the most senior military commander of the United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_of_the_Armies
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 1:28:10 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

First verifiable air to air kill  {American v Japanese] in WWII was by a gunner on board a PBY Catalina  Dec 10 1941.

Several pilots got confirmed (6?) air to air kills at Pearl Harbor Dec 7th. George Welch, heir to the juice company got 4 confirmed that day alone.   George Welch

He did not get the Medal of Honor because he took off without orders.
CW

I suspect we are dicing an orange here. War was not declared on December 7 so hence, it is debatable to when the first air to air kill was made in WWII.

I imagine there are similar questions with what occurred during the Neutrality Patrol of whether or not they count in WWII.

You are incorrect the Japanese declared war on the US during the attack. They were late and had wanted to deliver the declaration before the attack. WWII also started in 1939 not 1941.

CW

Why not 1937?

Because, while there was shooting there was no declaration of war delayed or not.

the issue was resolved diplomatically.

And then we returned the favor with the Flying tigers before Pearl Harbor.

You missed his point. He tried to say that according to some historians a more correct starting date for WW2 is 1937, the year of the second sino-japanese war, more commonly known as the japanese invasion of china.

Link Posted: 5/24/2012 1:30:38 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just prior to the Civil War, on October 16, 1859, an insurrection led by white abolitionist John Brown had to be put down by Federal troops. It was contained by local militia, but the actual attack on the armory at Harper's Ferry had to be conducted by better-drilled troops. Some Marines were sent under the command of a Union major who had just arrived from the western frontier.
The problem was that the militia was led by a putative colonel (which was usually the case: a locally-raised regiment had a [usually self-appointed] colonel in charge). This would have created a major breach of military courtesy: a  major giving orders to a colonel was simply unheard of. In route to the Armory, the major was given a brevet promotion to Colonel. He successfully commanded the attack on the Armory, and Brown was arrested and subsequently hanged.
The name of the Union Army major who was promoted to Colonel? Robert E. Lee... assisted by a Lieutenant named  J.E.B. Stuart!
Lee was later offered the job of preparing the Army for war against the insurrectionist South. He refused, and instead ended up leading the Southern army.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Brown's_raid_on_Harpers_Ferry

October 17

By 3:30 that afternoon, President James Buchanan ordered a detachment of U.S. Marines to march on Harpers Ferry under the command of Brevet Colonel Robert E. Lee of the 2nd U.S. Cavalry.

October 18

Illustration of the interior of the engine house immediately before the door is broken down

Lee first offered the role of attacking the engine house to the local militia units on the spot. Both (VA and MD) militia commanders declined, and Lee turned to the Marines...

Link Posted: 5/24/2012 1:49:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
RPG firing in a windy weather-the aim correction must be opposite to the wind's direction .  

Modern howitzer, such as PzH2000 are capable of a 5-round TOT from a single tube.

HMS Trinidad, a cruiser, managed to torpedo itself with a straight-running torpedo fired at German warships.

At least one jet aircraft has shot itself down with its own fixed forward-firing cannon.

IIRC it was a Hunter and it was the gas from fireing the gun killing the engine.

Link Posted: 5/24/2012 1:53:47 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

IIRC it was a Hunter and it was the gas from fireing the gun killing the engine.

" An Unlucky First... The Shootdown of Tiger #620, Near Long Island, NY, 21 September 1956:
http://www.check-six.com/Crash_Sites/Tiger138260.htm

On Friday, September 21st, 1956, Grumman test pilot Thomas W. Attridge, Jr., 33, took an F11F 'Tiger', Navy Bureau number 138620, on a test flight over the Atlantic Ocean.   ....

Link Posted: 5/24/2012 1:59:04 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_of_the_Armies

Ok, so reading that I guess Dewey's rank although considered above "5-star" is still technically below Pershing and Washington and therefore not equivalent. It's funny though if you compare the rankings of all past officers then the ranking structure is Washington, Pershing, Dewey with the WWII 5-star Generals and Admirals beneath and then the Union Civil War commanders under them.

Link Posted: 5/24/2012 2:09:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Another interesting thing about our flag ranks is that in revolutionary societies, certain ranks often get excluded because of their association with the aristocracy.  For instance, the U.S. has always had an aversion to the rank of Field Marshal, and to some of the higher general/admiral ranks because of this association.  In England at the time, such ranks would generally require a high standing in the peerage for army officers (the Navy was a bit more egalitarian).  The longer a society was a colony, it seems the further down the chain this goes.  For instance, in a lot of Middle Eastern or South American societies the ruling juntas often top out at Colonel as all general ranks are associated with the aristocracy of the colonial regimes.  Libya is a good example of this.

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top