Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 5:20:19 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Just to let you know, this is the Sportical version of the LR-308. No F/A or ejection port cover. 900.00 isn't a stupendous price on them.

What's an F/A?

Link Posted: 4/22/2012 5:21:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Forward assist.
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 5:23:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What magazines does that rifle take? I could be tempted to buy one at that price. Sell the barrel, put a better barrel and stock and trigger on it, and be money ahead of building from scratch - if it takes commonly available mags.

Well if Walmart sells the DPMS 308s I am sure they sell the DPMS magazines as well.

It takes the Magpul 7.62X51 Pmags.

Hmm.

That's a deal, then. $900 for a .308 AR.

Just to let you know, this is the Sportical version of the LR-308. No F/A or ejection port cover. 900.00 isn't a stupendous price on them.

But if you're piecing one together, the uppers with forward assist and ejection port covers are a little hard to find, now.  Last weekend, I was looking at a site that listed bolt carrier assemblies as having 8 left in stock, but I wanted to get the upper receiver first, since I'm building on a TM 80% lower and wanted to check the dimensions on the upper's rear lug, so I held off on the bolt carrier assembly.  The next day, I was thinking it wouldn't hurt the budget that much, so I went back to order the bolt carrier assembly, and they were out of stock.  Midway got a shipment of upper receivers (with F/A and ejection port cover) in on Wednesday, I ordered one during lunch (UPS dropped it off on Friday), and they are 'out of stock' again.  The 'slickside' (no F/A or ejection port cover) DPMS upper receivers seem to be much easier to find in stock.

Complete LR-306 upper assemblies seem to be 'out of stock' everywhere I've checked.  At least with the Walmart rifles, you get a complete rifle that you can shoot now, and upgrade later when you can find the parts.

As for mags, I'll be buying the Magpul mags.  Magpul's .308/ Pmags hold 20 rounds.  DPMS's LR308 metal mags only hold 19 rounds.  Mags for the early AR-10's, made before Armalite switched to using modified M-14 mags, should also work.  I think I read that Armalite is going to bring back the original lowers as an option (AR-10A for an original style lower, AR-10B for the later lower that takes modified M-14 mags), so that would be another potential source of mags.
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 5:36:28 AM EDT
[#4]
this rifle is made from extruded 6061 aluminum and contains 100% DPMS parts.

even at $500 I wouldn't buy it.  this opinion is not internet regurgitation, it is based upon years of experience with using and breaking DPMS parts.  no more.

if you just want a 308 semi rifle to "make go bang", it should be fine, but if you want quality, I would keep looking.

Link Posted: 4/22/2012 5:39:19 AM EDT
[#5]
oh, and the Armalite AR-10B mags are far far superior to the DPMS or Magpul mags.  No experience with KAC.
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 6:31:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
oh, and the Armalite AR-10B mags are far far superior to the DPMS or Magpul mags.  No experience with KAC.

If I'm not mistaken, AR-10B mags will not fit the DPMS rifle, but AR-10A mags will.
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 6:40:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I'm not mistaken, AR-10B mags will not fit the DPMS rifle, but AR-10A mags will.

they wont.  different design.  better design.
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 6:47:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So Armalite came up with a "better design" by discontinuing their original design (due to the AWB, as I recall), switching to using modified M-14 mags, then (after the AWB expired) making their own version of the modified M-14 mags, and now bringing back their original design (which DPMS, KAC and probably a few others have been using) as an option for their customers who prefer the original Armalite mags?
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 8:51:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll only say good luck to those chasing this dream.   I called six Wal-Mart locations across my area in southern Ohio asking about this rifle.   Of the six stores I called (all more than once and on different days) three of the sports counters simply would not pick up the phone and respond as they chose to ignore the call.   Of the other three stores, two of my calls were answered by young women who obviously knew nothing about rifles and they just immediately responded, without even looking "Uh....we don't have those."    One guy responded that "Yeah, I heard that some Wal-Mart stores have those but I have no idea if we will ever get any or not."  Thus, my search for this rifle has ended in frustration thanks to the highly trained and helpful Wal-Mart sales force.
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 9:06:01 AM EDT
[#10]
So is the SKU# 88445100117, correct?
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 9:15:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What magazines does that rifle take? I could be tempted to buy one at that price. Sell the barrel, put a better barrel and stock and trigger on it, and be money ahead of building from scratch - if it takes commonly available mags.

Well if Walmart sells the DPMS 308s I am sure they sell the DPMS magazines as well.

Hmm.

But if you're piecing one together, the uppers with forward assist and ejection port covers are a little hard to find, now.  Last weekend, I was looking at a site that listed bolt carrier assemblies as having 8 left in stock, but I wanted to get the upper receiver first, since I'm building on a TM 80% lower and wanted to check the dimensions on the upper's rear lug, so I held off on the bolt carrier assembly.  The next day, I was thinking it wouldn't hurt the budget that much, so I went back to order the bolt carrier assembly, and they were out of stock.  Midway got a shipment of upper receivers (with F/A and ejection port cover) in on Wednesday, I ordered one during lunch (UPS dropped it off on Friday), and they are 'out of stock' again.  The 'slickside' (no F/A or ejection port cover) DPMS upper receivers seem to be much easier to find in stock.

Complete LR-306 upper assemblies seem to be 'out of stock' everywhere I've checked.  At least with the Walmart rifles, you get a complete rifle that you can shoot now, and upgrade later when you can find the parts.

As for mags, I'll be buying the Magpul mags.  Magpul's .308/ Pmags hold 20 rounds.  DPMS's LR308 metal mags only hold 19 rounds.  Mags for the early AR-10's, made before Armalite switched to using modified M-14 mags, should also work.  I think I read that Armalite is going to bring back the original lowers as an option (AR-10A for an original style lower, AR-10B for the later lower that takes modified M-14 mags), so that would be another potential source of mags.

Since you're also in TN, these rifles seem to be at most TN Walmarts I've been in.

Link Posted: 4/22/2012 10:22:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm.

Since you're also in TN, these rifles seem to be at most TN Walmarts I've been in.

But I've pretty much got all the parts for the lower half (waiting on a pivot pin, since mine was oversized, and still have to finish milling the lower receiver for the triggergroup), plus the upper receiver with forward assist, ejection port cover, and charging handle.  If I hadn't already started gathering parts, I'd be very interested.  

If I had a bolt carrier assembly, barrel assembly, and float tube, I'd be about done.

The Walmart near me sells airsoft and BB guns.  I think I saw a sign that said they had muzzleloaders locked up in the stockroom, if you wanted to ask to see one.  At least they still sell ammo.
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 11:02:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I didn't think I'd ever see the day.... The gun case at the local wal mart is half full of black rifles! Including a .308 DPMS

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b104/georgiab2/IMAG0001.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b104/georgiab2/IMAG0281.jpg

On another note... When in the hell did outboard fuel lines hit 60 bucks!?!?!?!

That looks like a dang good deal for the DPMS .308.

Maybe not. A friend of mine got one with a free float barrel, NIB on gunbroker for $650 shipped last year. Two more sold that week for similar prices.

Link Posted: 4/22/2012 11:03:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
All my local Walmarts quit carrying firearms.  Then last week I walked into one and the gun cases were back and they contained ARs.  I read somewhere that Walmart was reversing the decision to remove gun sales in some areas.

And something like 500 stores will be carrying handguns soon. Not sure if they mean in store or special order.
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 12:26:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So Armalite came up with a "better design" by discontinuing their original design (due to the AWB, as I recall), switching to using modified M-14 mags, then (after the AWB expired) making their own version of the modified M-14 mags, and now bringing back their original design (which DPMS, KAC and probably a few others have been using) as an option for their customers who prefer the original Armalite mags?

Your history is a bit off.  The original Armalite is not the current Armalite.  The original Armalite no longer exists.  The current Armalite has always used M-14 type mags, and the current Gen II variant of the mag is absolutely outstanding in terms of build quality, function, and design.  The DPMS and PMAG are a joke in comparison, and yes I have used all of them.

When I said I had no experience with KAC mags, I should have also said I have no experience with ORIGINAL AR-10 mags either, but since they are extremely rare and cost nearly $100 each, it is a moot point to someone buying a fucking extruded DPMS from walmart.
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 4:14:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
it is a moot point to someone buying a fucking extruded DPMS from walmart.

wow.... so much hate.
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 4:28:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

wow.... so much hate.

I noticed that too. I'm no DPMS fan, but it seems like Armalite fans have an irrational hatred of any non-Armalite .308, which is really sad and strikes of insecurity.

Link Posted: 4/22/2012 4:36:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wow.... so much hate.

I noticed that too. I'm no DPMS fan, but it seems like Armalite fans have an irrational hatred of any non-Armalite .308, which is really sad and strikes of insecurity.

Oh well, just means they won't be buying up the DPMS parts that other people want (and there seems to be a lot of those people, considering how many parts are currently on backorder).
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 4:38:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

wow.... so much hate.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound hateful, I just cuss a lot.  I should probably work on my internet etiquette but that is another topic.

I wouldn't call myself an Armalite fanboy, more like a DPMS hater and a 6061 hater.  I have broken over the years a pile of DPMS parts.  They just don't hold up.  I don't use them for builds anymore.  6061 has no place in an AR type rifle for serious use of any kind.

I am just trying to help people make informed purchases.  Spending $900 on a rifle in which every single part is sub par is penny wise, pound foolish.

Save up an extra $400 and buy something with quality parts, or better yet, just buy a used Armalite for ~$1000, they sell all the time at that price.  I put mine together for less than that.

Link Posted: 4/22/2012 4:42:32 PM EDT
[#20]
My local wally world carries and has in stock the following:
Colt 6920 , lower marked "M4 Carbine" for $1,087.00
Bushmaster Patrol Carbine for $897.00
DPMS 308 AR for $897.00
Windham Weapons PCR? AR type 16" M4 style for $799.00
S&W MP15/22 for $4**.**

They were even stocking the M855 cans when they were $149.00. Haven't had any in several weeks now though.

camaro
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 7:47:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Which NC store are you talking about?
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 10:27:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not here they don't.
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 10:32:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Mine doesn't sell any black rifles... maybe someday
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 10:39:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where is Georgia please OP? I have been looking.

It is east of Alabama, North of Florida and south of South Carolina.

Oh pardon the living fuck out of me. iN.  IN Georgia.

I had no idea what you were asking.
Link Posted: 4/24/2012 4:08:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Just so you know.. If your walmart does sell guns, but doesnt have any AR's in stock - you can probably special order what you want. Ask at the sporting good counter to see their catalog..

Even if they dont have it in their catalog they can possibly call their distributor and see if they can get it.. It helps to have the MFG item number..  You may be required to pay 50% of the price when they order it though. I was told once they order it it cant be returned to the distributor

I ordered my TC Triumph that way - and it wasnt in the catalog.

Brian
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 11:09:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Anyone find these in SE Texas near Baytown/Houston area? Going there this weekend...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top