BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 7:08:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Sorry, you are not going to stop a charging Grizzly at 20 yards.

Any weapon that MIGHT save your ass is such a situation is too expensive and too difficult to master in the time frame you have. (Start at .416 and work your way up)

Now, I have fished Alaska a lot. I  Carryied a .44 mag with 300gr hardcast or copper bonded  bullets, a LARGE can of bear spray and an awareness of where you are.  (Stay away from thick brush, any bear with cubs, etc)  

The guide usually carried a .44, pepper spray and a 12 ga with slugs.

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv72/gearchecker/just%20stuff/abear2.jpg

You mean exactly like this guy?

That guy who shot that was some sort of guide that lived in Alaska an been around bears. A bb heart beats like 20 times a minute.  99.5% of people would be be bear scat in a few days. Most browns will attack you from the back or travel parell then attack. Head on charges are for the movies.

A couple weeks after that happened I was up there fishing for silver salmon,we started talking to the guide about bears and I told the guide that story.He pointed to the riverboat next to us and said "Oh,you mean that guy?"Same dude.Small world I guess.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 9:30:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm convinced. I shall leave the heavy, ineffective pistol at home for now on an arm myself with this...

Bear hunting guides, police departments and the military should follow suit
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 9:57:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Fuck bear spray.

I don't know about you, but I have spent a fair amount of time in the AK bush. Bristol Bay beach parties, set net sites, sleeping in a tent, walking the beach and hiking in the hills waiting for a  red opening and the herring to ripen out in Togiak, fishing rivers and lakes between openings and seasons, walking/hitchhiking from Naknek to King Salmon...

If you want to trust your life to pepper spray, to each his own...  I'll depend on a shotgun and a big bore revolver.

Yeah, fuck what science says.  I'll trust my life to a less effective stopper like a handgun.

OK, I'll listen to the well read gentleman from North Carolina, being in the heart of big wild grizz country, he had to have learned well.

Hell, pepper spray is so effective I'm considering giving up my sidearm too. New 21 foot rule: Go to pepper spray. Someone notify Tueller

May 2012 issue of Field and Stream has an article titled You vs. Bruin.

In the article they quote a study that determined pepper spray was effective in deterring a charge in 90% of the cases, where as a firearm did it just 66% of the time, using an average of four shots.

I would carry both, but bear spray seems to be the more reliable stopper.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 9:57:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I'm convinced. I shall leave the heavy, ineffective pistol at home for now on an arm myself with this...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/turkey12/ARFCOM/Kimberpepperblaster.png

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/files/USFWS_Bear_Spray_vs._Bullets.pdf

The purpose of a guide is to hunt, track and kill a bear.  He will using a Medium Bore Rifle and up, or a 12 guage shotgun with slugs to back up a bad shot on the hunter's part.  I am willing to bet that many of the carry pepper spray.

I know for a fact that the Wyoming National Guard is required to carry have bear spray when in the Northwest part of the state, because it is a state law that no one will enter wilderness areas without bear spray.  That also goes for law enforcement.

Every guide I know that guides for elk in Grizzly country carries bear spray.  Like I said, we live here and deal with Brown Bears constantly.

I am not advocating not carrying a gun, but I do not travel into Brown Bear areas with a handgun...Handguns are never a a solution to a problem when a long gun is needed.  Facts are facts, but let's not let that get int the way of everyone that will unholster and fire until a bear stops when he is charging 30 yards away.

Link Posted: 4/17/2012 9:58:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Any weapon that MIGHT save your ass is such a situation is too expensive and too difficult to master in the time frame you have. (Start at .416 and work your way up)

Now, I have fished Alaska a lot. I  Carryied a .44 mag with 300gr hardcast or copper bonded  bullets, a LARGE can of bear spray and an awareness of where you are.  (Stay away from thick brush, any bear with cubs, etc)  

The guide usually carried a .44, pepper spray and a 12 ga with slugs.

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv72/gearchecker/just%20stuff/abear2.jpg

You mean exactly like this guy?

Bear: Against attack with the revolver This hunter which took a walk with its dog saw this dark bear quickly in its direction. It started to make fire at a distance of 20 meters without too much precision while requesting so that the animal changes trajectory. It drew several shots in direction from the animal without knowing at which time the animal had been touched. The bear would have crumbled with less than 10 feet of him. The scene occurred in wooded in Alaska. Ironically the hunter took a walk of health in order to physically prepare for its season of hunting to come. The hunter describes the animal like an animal of more than 900 lbs taking a prehistoric form. The animal makes 9 feet and half length and it did not have any more teeth.

MORE PICS:

http://chassequebec.com/2010/02/ours-contre-attaque-au-revolver/
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 9:58:49 AM EDT
[#6]
A grizzly bear charging can run at 30 mph. 30 MPH converted to feet per second means a grizzly can run at 44 feet per second. That means the bear will cover the 20 yards (60 feet) to you in a hare under 1.5 seconds. Granted, the bear probably won't already be at a full run when it sees you so there will be a slightly longer time duration for it to get up to full speed and obstacles (trees, shrubs, etc.) would slow it down, so lets tack on 1 more second before the bear covers the 60 feet to get to you. This means no matter what bear deterrent you are carrying (firearm, bear spray, sword, midget, etc.) you have roughly 2-2.5 seconds to deploy it, aim it, and use it to stop a charging bear. I would think if you don't have ample experience drawing, aiming, and discharging a sidearm quickly, then an unslung rifle carried at the low ready or bear spray in your hand would probably be your best bet.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 9:59:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Pepper spray.......period.....go no farther
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 10:00:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Fuck bear spray.

I don't know about you, but I have spent a fair amount of time in the AK bush. Bristol Bay beach parties, set net sites, sleeping in a tent, walking the beach and hiking in the hills waiting for a  red opening and the herring to ripen out in Togiak, fishing rivers and lakes between openings and seasons, walking/hitchhiking from Naknek to King Salmon...

If you want to trust your life to pepper spray, to each his own...  I'll depend on a shotgun and a big bore revolver.

Yeah, fuck what science says.  I'll trust my life to a less effective stopper like a handgun.

OK, I'll listen to the well read gentleman from North Carolina, being in the heart of big wild grizz country, he had to have learned well.

Hell, pepper spray is so effective I'm considering giving up my sidearm too. New 21 foot rule: Go to pepper spray. Someone notify Tueller

May 2012 issue if Field and Stream has an article titled You vs. Bruin.

In the article they quote a study that determined pepper spray was effective in deterring a charge in 90% of the cases, where as a firearm did it just 66% of the time, using an average of four shots.

I would carry both, but bear spray seems to be the more reliable stopper.

Better hope that, if there is a decent wind, it is as your back. Otherwise your just going to end up pepper spraying yourself 1 second before you get mauled and eaten by a bear.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 10:16:27 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck bear spray.

Bears aren't people.  They have a sense of smell several thousand times better.  If they run into a jet of spray, they might as well have hit a wall.  Bullets from handguns?  Give me a break.

Link Posted: 4/17/2012 10:21:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Sans a 12 guage....a fiddy smiff.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 10:21:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Honestly Bear spray is the best thing to use. Brown/Grizzly bears have a nose that is 900 times more sensative than a humans. They also have a Jacobsons organ just like a snake. A cloud of spray will mess up a bear.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 10:24:36 AM EDT
[#12]
My mom always used an flatiron pan on my dad, worked fine.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 10:31:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

7mm Lebel

So you can drop it and run.

Mon Deux!  
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 10:44:24 AM EDT
[#14]
120 MM D/U
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 10:55:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's retarded.

A human pepper spray squirt-gun is NOT bear spray.

THIS is bear spray...

Link Posted: 4/17/2012 10:57:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My mom always used an flatiron pan on my dad, worked fine.

And your dad looked like this?

Link Posted: 4/17/2012 10:59:58 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Having said that I have a buddy with a S&W .500 that is an absolute ball to shoot.  That is a perfect excuse for buying one, if you need an excuse.

My wife is scared of bears.  I love my .500

Link Posted: 4/17/2012 11:00:37 AM EDT
[#18]
I'd pass on any pistol!! .45-70, or 12G with slugs!!!
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 11:00:50 AM EDT
[#19]
I just love this place. I have been reported to be bear food in the near future. I have been given really great advice.

At this point I`ve ordered a .460 Rowland compensated conversion kit. I`m looking at rounds, chest rigs,reading ALOT about bear spray and generally getting ready for the worst. I`m thinking about canceling our trip.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 11:03:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Pepper Spray FTW

But the 000 buck i used to take my black bear two years ago dropped him without a problem. Dome shot at 15 yds.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 11:08:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Anything .32ACP or larger should suffice.  Just insert the barrel in your mouth and pull the trigger to avoid bear wrath.

Link Posted: 4/17/2012 11:09:35 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Anything .32ACP or larger should suffice.  Just insert the barrel in your mouth and pull the trigger to avoid ......

Link Posted: 4/17/2012 11:14:55 AM EDT
[#23]
I know a few brown bear guides that carry Glock 20's as backup... So that's what I carry, a Glock 20SF 10mm...

YMMV

- Clint
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 11:17:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I just love this place. I have been reported to be bear food in the near future. I have been given really great advice.

At this point I`ve ordered a .460 Rowland compensated conversion kit. I`m looking at rounds, chest rigs,reading ALOT about bear spray and generally getting ready for the worst. I`m thinking about canceling our trip.

chances are you won't even see a bear your whole trip...

- Clint
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 11:24:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I know a few brown bear guides that carry Glock 20's as backup... So that's what I carry, a Glock 20SF 10mm...

YMMV

- Clint

That's "backup" though. What are they packing for primary? I suspect 12 gauge or .45-70.

Link Posted: 4/17/2012 11:26:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

chances are you won't even see a bear your whole trip...

- Clint

Totally agree with that.

I don't quiver in my pants and stay home. I head right where I wanna go in the backcountry. But I always pack the tools that I want to carry and play it smart. After that, I forget about any concerns about bears and just enjoy the outdoors.

Link Posted: 4/17/2012 11:30:50 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This guy says different. He used his Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .454.

That guy upgraded his revolver to a more powerful unit right after the bear shooting.  He would have been eaten for sure.  

Link Posted: 4/17/2012 11:55:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Guys, I should have mentioned that the guide WILL have a 12 gauge. I was asking about a PISTOL round. The 20 yard comment was a worst case scenario. I do understand the situational awareness angle as well as the bear spray bit.

Start at .44 Mag w/ 300 gr hard cast bullets and go up from there. I'd also feel good about using (hot) handloaded .45 Colt in a revolver strong enough to handle them, also with heavy hard cast bullets. Using off the shelf commonly available rounds and guns, there's the .480 Ruger, .460 S&W, .454 Casull, .500 S&W, and maybe a few more I'm leaving out. Better spend some range time with any of these though because they are not fun or easy to shoot for someone not accustomed to using these big bruisers.  

Link Posted: 4/17/2012 12:00:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's retarded.

A human pepper spray squirt-gun is NOT bear spray.

THIS is bear spray...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFl3yBsqgLQ&feature=related

Does it come with night sights?
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 12:13:26 PM EDT
[#30]
BTW, if you go with .44 Magnum or .45-70, you should buy some of these: Garrett Cartridges

He has some fantastic ballistic info and thoughts on how much gun is enough vs. browns. I found his arguments persuasive, and carry a Redhawk Alaskan .44 Mag with his Hammerhead cartridges when in bear country.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 12:18:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You are going to need a head shot with something STOUT.
12G slug, .500 S&W, .454 etc.

At that close range I WOULD NOT go with a head shot unless and until I had put one or two in the chest (anywhere you can at that point actually) If somehow you had time to take a well aimed shot by all means put one or two in the head.  A moving Bear head is small enough you may miss.  Hell you could miss the torso if a bear is coming at you fast you should be moving probably...  Shoot the chest with a large heavy for caliber bullet several times then hope for the best.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 12:21:55 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Don't panic.  Bear attacks are quite rare, and you'll have a shotgun armed guide.  Buy the bear spray, and enjoy your trip.

Link Posted: 4/17/2012 12:23:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I`ve ridden bulls, crashed airplanes, fought the battles of owning a business for thirty years. I understand what you`re saying ,,,,and yes I can stand and fight.

If you owned a business for 30 years a bear is no threat what so ever compared to taxes, licence and fees
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 12:24:42 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't panic.  Bear attacks are quite rare, and you'll have a shotgun armed guide.  Buy the bear spray, and enjoy your trip.

Yes.

I doubt you will even have a bear story when you get back.

Maybe some tracks.

Link Posted: 4/17/2012 12:24:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Check the Alaskan HTF
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 12:26:29 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Check the Alaskan HTF

..or the Rocky Mountain HTF.

Link Posted: 4/17/2012 12:27:57 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I `m going to Alaska fishing and the wife is really concerned due to the remote locations ( heli-fishing) we will be accessing. I must admit I have a little bit of concern as well.

12 ga slug, 375 H&H, or 458 Win Mag

Link Posted: 4/17/2012 12:32:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

YMMV

- Clint

That's "backup" though. What are they packing for primary? I suspect 12 gauge or .45-70.

generally speaking... A wide assortment of artillery with the word Magnum thrown somewhere in the name....

I carry a 375 or a shotgun loaded with Brennake slugs...

I've been charged 3 times... Once I had to shoot a 9 foot coastal bear in the face with my 300 wtby at less than 8 yards and closing, I wouldn't feel undergunned if I had to use a Glock 20 as a last ditch effort to peel a bear off of me... Just keep pumpin them into his face and hope for the best!

- Clint
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 12:38:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Ain't one short of a ..460 or 50S&W... 12 ga pump with slugs and bear spray would be your best bet.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 12:38:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
A grizzly bear charging can run at 30 mph. 30 MPH converted to feet per second means a grizzly can run at 44 feet per second. That means the bear will cover the 20 yards (60 feet) to you in a hare under 1.5 seconds. Granted, the bear probably won't already be at a full run when it sees you so there will be a slightly longer time duration for it to get up to full speed and obstacles (trees, shrubs, etc.) would slow it down, so lets tack on 1 more second before the bear covers the 60 feet to get to you. This means no matter what bear deterrent you are carrying (firearm, bear spray, sword, midget, etc.) you have roughly 2-2.5 seconds to deploy it, aim it, and use it to stop a charging bear. I would think if you don't have ample experience drawing, aiming, and discharging a sidearm quickly, then an unslung rifle carried at the low ready or bear spray in your hand would probably be your best bet.

I always just take my midget with me on a leash. I have confidence that I can have him deployed and stopping the bear in 2 seconds flat. Tactical midgets are where it's at. It's hard finding kevlar hlemets to fit their giant heads though.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 12:42:18 PM EDT
[#41]
I can't believe nobody has posted this one

Start at 1:00 if you want to skip to the good part
Video
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 12:45:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I can't believe nobody has posted this one

Start at 1:00 if you want to skip to the good part
Video

Pucker factor 10
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 2:44:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Guys, I should have mentioned that the guide WILL have a 12 gauge. I was asking about a PISTOL round. The 20 yard comment was a worst case scenario. I do understand the situational awareness angle as well as the bear spray bit.

This'll help narrow it down faster...

No rimless cartridge.

Having grown up all my life in the swamps hunting alligators and wild boars, I wouldn't carry anything less than .44 Mag hard-cast against an animal of that size.  You can take that as experienced advice, or just an opinion.

Link Posted: 4/17/2012 2:48:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Does anyone make a .45-70 revolver that comes in a modern style frame?  Something like the S&W 500 frame as opposed to a single action looking frame like a BRF.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 3:38:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Fuck bear spray.

Why do you care? You carry what you want, and everyone else can carry what we want. Or both.

Fuck science. The same science that tells me running my truck is killing polar bears. Yeah, fuck them.

I will trust Smith AND fucking Wesson before your science.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 3:41:58 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why do you care? You carry what you want, and everyone else can carry what we want. Or both.

Fuck science. The same science that tells me running my truck is killing polar bears. Yeah, fuck them.

Ummm, we don't care if you die and get eaten...maybe it will hurry up and open our hunting season on Brown bears.

We were talking to the OP.

Link Posted: 4/17/2012 3:54:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Ummm, we don't care if you die and get eaten...maybe it will hurry up and open our hunting season on Brown bears.

We were talking to the OP.

So was I.

Except the part about caring if I get eaten. I wouldnt want that.

My buddy was bitten by a Griz. Confirmed by the conservation officer, who had previously told him it likely wasnt a Grizzly, prior to them going back to the scene after the bitee got a couple stitches.

The Mama bear covered approximately 30 yards in what he described as "3 bounds". He emptied a large can of well researched Bear spray and she came straight through the fog and swatted him down. As he was attempting to roll over, she bit his abdomen and upper leg.  Out of the corner of his eye he saw a flash. It was the cub running away.

Fortunately for him, she followed suit. He had light tooth penetration by his belly button and on his upper leg. That was it.

He said he didnt trust Bear spray, but at the same time, he said IF he could have placed revolver rounds into the charging bear, he fears they would both be dead. Tough call. I would want both.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 4:00:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Go and have fun. As I said before, I'd be more concerned with what camera I was taking. It will probably be one of the best trips of your life. I did the fly out every day trip out of Illiamna a couple of years ago. We might have seen 10 bears from the aircraft and only two on the river. The first one ran AWAY from us when it caught our scent and it was over 100 yards away. The second one tried to steal on of our fish while it was on the fishing line. The guide calmly and professionally told us to back away slowly while letting out line so as not to drag the fish closer to us. We jumped back in the float plane, found another stretch of river, tied on a new tippet, and proceeded to catch one Silver after another. Have also been on springtime Brown Bear hunts where after 10 days of not seeing anything, we wished for an attack.....

Link Posted: 4/17/2012 4:23:21 PM EDT
[#49]

I made theses cast on the Little Susitna river just out side of Wasila AK. It was about 100 yards from the public boat landing, and Camp grounds. We saw much larger tracks on a small river near Valdez. They were so big in fact and the brush was thick about 20 feet from the water that when I showed my dad he decided he didn't want to fish there anymore so I was forced the leave the area before he drove off with out me.

Link Posted: 4/17/2012 7:45:48 PM EDT
[#50]
I carry a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .44 Mag AND bear spray. They both have their place; to say one is "better" than the other is a little ignorant as they both have applications that could save your, or some else's life.

FWIW: I do a lot of backcountry hiking and have had more issues with moose than bear.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top