Author
Misanthrope Extraordinaire
Posted: 4/8/2012 12:39:56 PM EST
The stuff you get at vatozone in the metal 1-gallon can. Years ago, I had a can I used for a few carbs, and that stuff would easily dissolve anything that wasn't metal. Worked great, just leave the stripped carb in it overnight (sometimes not even that long), and all you had to do was lift the basket and give a quick rinse. Bought a can a few days ago for a mower carb, and even after sitting overnight, it was as if all I had done was slightly dyed the metal (and still stuck-on gasket remnants and gasoline varnish) a golden-bronze/greenish hue. The carb cleaner spray even worked better now than this new tree-hugger recipe.

What did they take out, and can I add it back in? Anyone have real recipes for something that will DISSOLVE gaskets and gunk like the old stuff? And no, fucking "simple green" and vinegar is NOT "just as good", so carry that idea back to Kalifornia.
"I once saw a T-shirt that said "Bukkake Ruined My Carpet". I had to Google it, and what a surprise I got!"
Walkure
Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2012 12:42:53 PM EST
Dunno... I bought some last year for cleaning the carbs on my '78 GS550E. Didn't dissolve gasket pieces (just as you describe), but it cleaned out everything else pretty well (and thus not as you describe). I thought it did a fine job.
"Putting all of these textual elements together, we find that they guarantee the individual right to possess and carry weapons in case of confrontation." - USSC Justice Antonin Scalia
ColonelHurtz
Horror and moral terror are your friends.
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2012 1:32:57 PM EST
Probably something useful like toluene or xylene.
"If people insist on photoshops that have nothing to do with anything but racial stereotypes - like Obama dressed like a pimp, eating watermelon and asking where the white wimmenz are at - then that thread will be locked too."
DK-Prof
Timco
Boiler guy
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2012 1:36:17 PM EST
Not totally useless...........

Got a match?
The Patriot Act...Turning good citizens into suspects since 2001!
When nothing is done, nothing is left undone.
biginch
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2012 1:37:15 PM EST
Trichloroethylene most likely. It's nasty stuff. It tends to melt anything that isn't metal.
flyingbrick
Piccolo for Sheriff
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2012 1:38:47 PM EST
I saw this a while back on ADV rider. carb cleaning I know some guys on the Nighthawk forum ended up using this same method for cleaning engine cases and it worked awesome.
No, it's called Stellar Physics. Perhaps if you had taken a class beyond why johnny has two daddies, you might could comprehend things like this. -HeavyMetal
CarbineDad
Rust Never Sleeps
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2012 1:41:59 PM EST
Carbon Tetrachloride

Damn I'm old
Pepper Spray U Alumni

12/23/72 1:00PM - Hating the Steelers for nearly 40 years

Laphroaig "The ARFCOM booze fairy drops it off. Picture Ron Jeremy in a tutu. " -- capnrob97
VRMN8R
24/365 Crew "Elder" ©
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2012 1:43:13 PM EST
Ive got a 5 gallon bucket of "the good stuff".

Im trying to get rid of it since I dont race/work on cars anymore.
Fueled by Monsters and Marlboro Mediums.
Friend of said "colossal douchebag"
Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance
Ponyboy
Hi, I'm date Mike....nice to meet me
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2012 1:46:33 PM EST
How good would acetone work?
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas

WildHogHunters.com
Jbrowning22
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2012 1:46:43 PM EST
It's been shitty for over 10 years.

I used to have a drum of "stuff", that had been passed around between a few me handicap friends. No one knew what it was, but it was probably 20 years old and would clean anything. I need more of that stuff.
EFB16ACRX
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2012 2:25:02 PM EST
its been shitty for quite a while, and every time i get a new can of it, its worse.
Posted By John_Wayne777:
I'M THE GIANT RAPE BANANA! YOU'RE NEXT!!!
slappomatt
Elevator constructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2012 2:27:08 PM EST

Originally Posted By flyingbrick:
I saw this a while back on ADV rider. carb cleaning I know some guys on the Nighthawk forum ended up using this same method for cleaning engine cases and it worked awesome.

Thanks. I have a stubborn lawnmower carb I tried to fix with some seafoam which didnt work. I guess Ill have to give this a try in my ultrasonic tank. I see that swingset is a member there and posted in that thread
callmenoshie: "saying that females have the potential to be "bat shit crazy" is like saying the sky has the potential to be blue."
EviL_inside
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2012 4:13:05 PM EST
I saw somewhere else that they removed MEK from the previous formula a few years ago. I *think* that's Methyl Ethyl Ketone, in which case I've seen it for sale in a gallon can like paint thinner, I just can't remember where. I've also heard ATF and acetone work well, but I haven't tried it.
"I once saw a T-shirt that said "Bukkake Ruined My Carpet". I had to Google it, and what a surprise I got!"
fxntime
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2012 4:17:06 PM EST
Liquid paint stripper kicks ass but there can be NO plastic whatsoever left in the carb. I once did a HD scrambler carb that had sat for a decade, horrible shape, ran as good as new after a soak and some cleaning. Protective gloves are a MUST.
I do not have a license to kill, but I do have a learner's permit.

I feel like I'm living the movie "Idiocracy" with this administration.

"Share the Wealth" my arse, HIDE the wealth is more like it.
midcap
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2012 4:18:41 PM EST
I wish i knew what it was also. When I worked on outboards, If you left the carbs in the bucket too long the plastic linkage holders would disintegrate. That stuff worked like described above.
Skibane
Brown Marmorated Stinkbug
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2012 4:34:46 PM EST
Originally Posted By EviL_inside:
I saw somewhere else that they removed MEK from the previous formula a few years ago. I *think* that's Methyl Ethyl Ketone, in which case I've seen it for sale in a gallon can like paint thinner, I just can't remember where.

Home Depot sells it.
"The skin of civilization is only 7 meals thick..."
TheOtherDave
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2012 5:44:36 PM EST
Originally Posted By slappomatt:

Thanks. I have a stubborn lawnmower carb I tried to fix with some seafoam which didnt work. I guess Ill have to give this a try in my ultrasonic tank. I see that swingset is a member there and posted in that thread

Ultrasonic tanks will fuck aluminum parts up....
Never make another person a priority when they merely see you as an option...

"Some People Are Like Slinkies. They're Not Really Good For Anything, But They Bring a Smile To Your Face When Pushed Down The Stairs."
Danner130
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2012 5:46:01 PM EST
What is this "carburetor" object you speak of?
"This is an environment of welcoming, and... you should just get the hell out of here!"
- Michael Scott
EviL_inside
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2012 6:29:24 PM EST
Originally Posted By Danner130:
What is this "carburetor" object you speak of?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carburetor
RV8guy
SPOON!
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2012 6:35:17 PM EST
Try soaking in a bath of 50/50 Pinesol and water. Works great.
Foreman: [ talks into loudspeaker ] Alright, everybody, I'm going to go through this ONE more time! There are FOUR otter piles: oily, dead otters; clean, dead otters; oily, live otters; and clean, live otters!
EviL_inside
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2012 7:25:18 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/8/2012 7:27:04 PM EST by EviL_inside]
Originally Posted By RV8guy:

So pinesol and water will eat off hardened and stuck-on gasket remnants? It will DISSOLVE anything non-metallic? Will it at least chemically SEPARATE non-carb matter from the carb, in all of it's orifices, jets, and the bowl, WITHOUT having to "elbow grease" it for an hour, which I could have done in the first place, not needing a soak?
Orion_Shall_Rise
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2012 7:27:45 PM EST
I got a gallon at Napa the other day that was still strong enough to strip paint off the carb, and made the float shiny copper again
Chaingun
Tuff shit...start chewing मन्
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2012 7:29:33 PM EST
I used to just let the parts sit for 15-20 minutes and scrub them with a tooth brush. Then wash the parts off. But this was years ago.
"We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared so we may always be free." Ronald Reagan 1984
Mosspointers
Havlicek stole the ball! Havlicek stole the ball!
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2012 7:50:41 PM EST
Worked great for me. Weedeater and genny are both running like new. Soaked for 30 minutes and sprayed carb cleaner through all the orifices. *Shrug*
EviL_inside
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2012 8:16:55 PM EST
Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:

Links to proof aren't showing up...
pv74
Chairborne Ranger (Part Time)
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2012 8:20:29 PM EST
Laquer thinner...

That is some nasty shit...

NRA Life
slappomatt
Elevator constructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/8/2012 9:08:33 PM EST

Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:

Links to proof aren't showing up...

yeah I saw lots of people asking about using ultra sonic in that thread and never heard any real world usage. Only read 2-3 pages though. I really don't think the cheap ultrasonic I have has power to hurt ANYTHING.
callmenoshie: "saying that females have the potential to be "bat shit crazy" is like saying the sky has the potential to be blue."
EviL_inside
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/9/2012 4:22:35 AM EST
After digging around, the most I could find was a "test" you can do on the cleaner with aluminum FOIL, in which the cleaner is supposed to damage it, and someone else saying that highly polished aluminum surfaces MAY lose their luster in an ultrasonic. The biggest warning I saw was that "if a substance will attack or corrode a part, it will do so much faster in an ultrasonic". "Simple green" corrodes aluminum.
flyingbrick
Piccolo for Sheriff
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/9/2012 6:07:40 AM EST

I'm pretty sure that a lot of members here are members over there, and vice versa.
No, it's called Stellar Physics. Perhaps if you had taken a class beyond why johnny has two daddies, you might could comprehend things like this. -HeavyMetal
regalrocket
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/9/2012 6:48:41 AM EST
Originally Posted By EFB16ACRX:
its been shitty for quite a while, and every time i get a new can of it, its worse.

Once the EPA demanded low VOC's the good stuff went away.
RV8guy
SPOON!
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/9/2012 8:13:51 AM EST
Originally Posted By RV8guy:

So pinesol and water will eat off hardened and stuck-on gasket remnants? It will DISSOLVE anything non-metallic? Will it at least chemically SEPARATE non-carb matter from the carb, in all of it's orifices, jets, and the bowl, WITHOUT having to "elbow grease" it for an hour, which I could have done in the first place, not needing a soak?

I was amazed the first time I did it. I soaked some carbs off an old Honda that had been sitting for at least 5 years. Old dried up fuel, dirt, bugs, plus other crap was all removed. After I removed the float bowls and gave everything a good blow dry I then rinsed with a can of spray carb cleaner. I still needed to pull the jets and check all the little ports just to make sure but all in all, it worked well.
Foreman: [ talks into loudspeaker ] Alright, everybody, I'm going to go through this ONE more time! There are FOUR otter piles: oily, dead otters; clean, dead otters; oily, live otters; and clean, live otters!
Lion
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/9/2012 8:34:48 AM EST

A man may choose to sit and fish instead of working. That's his pursuit of happiness. He does not have the right to force his neighbors to support him (welfare) in his pursuit because he interferes with their pursuit of happiness.

-Ronald Reagan
Breugel
lurker
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/9/2012 8:36:45 AM EST
I put a old 2 cycle carb that had been sitting for 10 years and it was totally gummed up. I soaked it for 3 days and it put it back together It ran for 5 min till the ignition coil died.
Originally Posted By pv74:
Laquer thinner...

That is some nasty shit...

"Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is two wolves attempting to have a sheep for dinner and finding a well-informed, well-armed sheep."