Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/1/2012 12:52:53 PM EDT
I have seriously been considering a Rolex Submariner.

Please tell me about yours and why you love it.

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 12:55:10 PM EDT
[#1]
This watch. This watch was on your Daddy's wrist when he was shot down over Hanoi. He was captured and put in a Vietnamese prison camp. Now he knew that if the gooks ever saw the watch it'd be confiscated, taken away. The way your Dad looked at it, this watch was your birthright. He'd be damned if any slopes were gonna put their greasy yella hands on his boy's birthright. So he hid it in the one place he knew he could hide somethin'. His ass. Five long years, he wore this watch up his ass. Then he died of dysentery, he gave me the watch. I hid this uncomfortable hunk of metal up my ass two years. Then, after seven years, I was sent home to my family. Now, little man, I give the watch to you.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 12:56:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
This watch. This watch was on your Daddy's wrist when he was shot down over Hanoi. He was captured and put in a Vietnamese prison camp. Now he knew that if the gooks ever saw the watch it'd be confiscated, taken away. The way your Dad looked at it, this watch was your birthright. He'd be damned if any slopes were gonna put their greasy yella hands on his boy's birthright. So he hid it in the one place he knew he could hide somethin'. His ass. Five long years, he wore this watch up his ass. Then he died of dysentery, he gave me the watch. I hid this uncomfortable hunk of metal up my ass two years. Then, after seven years, I was sent home to my family. Now, little man, I give the watch to you.

This guy gets it! That is one funny scene.

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 12:57:30 PM EDT
[#3]
First post and all.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 12:58:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Most people won't even recognize it.  Probably the most copied watch design in history.

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 12:59:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Funny you should mention.

I tried a Submariner on just last night at Tourneau, the new 116610 Submariner date, like this...

The guy at Tourneau wanted 8k plus tax for this watch, which is too much considering the advertised retail price is like $7300.

My commitment to my current employer ends in almost exactly 17 months, and I'm gonna pick one up after some further shopping around. My wonderful wife unit wanted to buy it for me last night as I tried it on but I'm afraid of bad luck as I'm not finished up just yet.

Consider this thread very much tagged.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 12:59:53 PM EDT
[#6]
The sub is the classic modern Rolex. Clearly a signature look....recognizable from across the room.
Folks will be along momentarily to tell you to get an Omega instead....I have both....I like both, but the Rolex is still my favorite of the two.

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 1:12:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Love mine

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 1:12:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The sub is the classic modern Rolex. Clearly a signature look....recognizable from across the room.

Folks will be along momentarily to tell you to get an Omega instead....I have both....I like both, but the Rolex is still my favorite of the two.

Winner right here...

If I get a second Rolex it will be a Submariner.

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 1:14:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Winner right here...

Actually, me too...I don't have a sub....I have a yacht....and I still want a sub
Also have an omega Seamaster....great watch....love it...but I like the yacht a lot more.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 1:21:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Winner right here...

Actually, me too...I don't have a sub....I have a yacht....and I still want a sub

Also have an omega Seamaster....great watch....love it...but I like the yacht a lot more.

I have an Oyster Perpetual Date... my everyday watch for 20 years... runs like new.  I get a laugh out of the "Rolex = crap" threads

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 3:13:39 PM EDT
[#11]
i've worn mine everyday since 07 and have beaten the shit out of it. no complaints other than it gains about 4 mins per year.

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 3:20:25 PM EDT
[#12]

My dad and I (he'd had it a couple years by then)

My brother

Me

That's the same watch in all three photos.

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 3:23:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Are GMT-II guys allowed in this thread?

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 3:26:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I've had mine since 1987 and it's tits. Never had a problem with it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 3:30:33 PM EDT
[#15]

I have that exact watch- 50th anniversary model, mine was a gift....I wear it once a week or so.
Yes, I know its a mens watch...I hate most womens style watches.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 3:31:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Sold mine years ago and went with an Omega Seamaster Professional instead.

By odd coincidence, not ten minutes ago, I was buffing a few minor scuffs out of the clasp on my Seamaster bracelet with a Dremel polishing wheel.

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 3:31:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Are GMT-II guys allowed in this thread?  

Yes, they are almost alike.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 3:39:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Damn right. That's why I got it. The GMT-II Red/Black was my dream watch, though once I had the cash they had come out with the GMT-II Ceramic in black only. It's on my wrist now, and I love it. The Rolex sub is the timeless watch design. The GMT is very similar. My next Rolex will be a two-tone sub with blue face.

For now, I do love my SS GMT-II. I feel comfortable wearing it with shorts and a t-shirt or a suit.

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 3:44:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Winner right here...

I have an Oyster Perpetual Date... my everyday watch for 20 years... runs like new.  I get a laugh out of the "Rolex = crap" threads

Me too ! Mine is 22 years old. Never been serviced. Runs 2 minutes fast every 5 days. My BIL steam cleans it at his jewelry store once a year. Hasn't had a single problem.

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 3:46:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Mine is a 1969 model and it runs great. I have never had someone keep a straight face and tell me to get an Omega. I do like the Omega's, especially the newer Planet Ocean....but it doesn't have that classic look. I plan on saving up so I can have both. The Sub is one of the only "sport" type watches that still looks classy with a suit and goes just as well at the beach (or in the ocean where it belongs). Even at 43 years old I still dive, fish, spearfish, etc. with it. I wear it 24 hours a day and only take it off if I am going to be doing something that requires serious shock to the wrist (i.e. punching bag, air tools, etc.). In the end, you should get what you want. I can say that you shouldn't worry about people noticing it....most people won't, so if you're into having it to "show off" don't bother. I can also say that the few people that have noticed mine over the years were interesting people that I enjoyed a conversation with, not random "is it a real one" idiots (those type seem to be much more attracted to Rolex Datejusts....lol). Anyway, good luck with finding the right one.

p.s. Don't let anyone tell you that a Breitling or Tag are in the same ballpark. Some Omegas are very well made, but I would say just a notch below. Unless you are willing to get into the real rich man's game with an Audemars Piguet, IWC, Patek Philippe (etc.) the Rolex is the way to go.

-Ed

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 3:48:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn right. That's why I got it. The GMT-II Red/Black was my dream watch, though once I had the cash they had come out with the GMT-II Ceramic in black only. It's on my wrist now, and I love it. The Rolex sub is the timeless watch design. The GMT is very similar. My next Rolex will be a two-tone sub with blue face.

For now, I do love my SS GMT-II. I feel comfortable wearing it with shorts and a t-shirt or a suit.

http://www.watchmatchmaker.com/wp-content/uploads/files/u6/picture-128-494x534_0.png

Gorgeous!

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 3:48:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Take a look at the Sea-Dweller also.  No date wart.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 3:51:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Take a look at the Sea-Dweller also.  No date wart.

That's called a Cyclops Lens.

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 3:53:09 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.watchmatchmaker.com/wp-content/uploads/files/u6/picture-128-494x534_0.png

I currently have a 16710 GMT Master II Pepsi, but I started back in 1986 with a black Sub. That watch was with me for years, and I rarely took it off. Tough watch, and no scratches –– even after wearing it while loading cargo on to airplanes. (Old School pallets and chains style...)

If you want a hardcore Submariner, get a 14060M no date, no cosc:

One day I'll get another Sub, maybe a 5513 from back in the day.

m

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 3:56:29 PM EDT
[#25]
I have rode ridden mine hard.

It has gone back to the factory twice for service in 15 years.  No fault of the watches though.

I figure I will kick off with that watch on my wrist.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 3:57:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Not the same, but I have a Tudor Sub on my wrist as I type this. I like it so far :-))
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 4:05:55 PM EDT
[#27]
I've never paid much attention to Rolex watches so I'm surprised the Invicta watch I got for Christmas from my wife looks so similar.  

I really like the watch and I doubt many people I run into would recognize the design, but now I'm worried about looking like a poser.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 4:40:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Did someone say Pepsi?

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 4:43:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I liked the submariner but ultimately went with the Day-Date president diamond gold and a daytona.  I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 4:47:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Just remembered that I had this hosted from a long time ago....

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 4:48:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww14/macr05/Misc/guncrop.jpg

Very nice!!!!
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 4:48:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I currently have a 16710 GMT Master II Pepsi, but I started back in 1986 with a black Sub. That watch was with me for years, and I rarely took it off. Tough watch, and no scratches –– even after wearing it while loading cargo on to airplanes. (Old School pallets and chains style...)

If you want a hardcore Submariner, get a 14060M no date, no cosc:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachments/f2/419939d1302483932-there-can-only-one-maybe-two-rolex14060m1.jpg

One day I'll get another Sub, maybe a 5513 from back in the day.

m

If/when I can afford a Rolex, this is the one I'm looking to get.  No date Subs are awesome.

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 4:50:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very nice!!!!

I planned on buying a stainless sub....someone here posted a similar picture of a yacht and I changed my mind.....yet another way this site has helped pry money out of my wallet
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 5:01:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Buy it and you'll have no regrets.  Mine's not a Submariner but I'd be just as happy if it were.

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 5:04:44 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a 50th anniversary and love it. It gains about 5 minutes a month but I can deal with that.
Like said before it is a classic design that is recognizable anywhere.
That's why I went with the green 50th for a something a little different and rare.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 5:04:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very nice!!!!

I planned on buying a stainless sub....someone here posted a similar picture of a yacht and I changed my mind.....yet another way this site has helped pry money out of my wallet

Tell me about it.  This place has "made" me spend so much money over the years it isn't even funny.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 5:18:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Don't be That Guy with the bracelet still the factory length, its an expensive item, don't let it bang into things like you don't care about the damage.

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 5:18:08 PM EDT
[#38]
In before the " buy a timex and acquire guns" watch haters.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 5:19:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Buy it and you'll have no regrets.  Mine's not a Submariner but I'd be just as happy if it were.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a346/niceguymr/watchgun.jpg

Looks familiar
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 5:21:25 PM EDT
[#40]
1987 stainless and gold FTW!  Gift from the wife many years ago.  Yep, I know it needs cleaning.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 5:22:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I have that exact watch- 50th anniversary model, mine was a gift....I wear it once a week or so.
Yes, I know its a mens watch...I hate most womens style watches.

Men's watches on women look great. . Wish I could get my better half to wear one of mine occasionally.

I love my Sub... I grabbed it used and don't wear it nearly enough as I've been on a Panerai kick for the past several years..  I will say that there are many great brands of mechanical watches and there are many watches more "haute couture" than Rolex, but the Sub is an undeniable classic.  It is IMHO, the single most iconic watch design of the wristwatch era.

It IS the most faked and most copied watch for a reason.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 5:32:28 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I think that it is stupid to piss money away on things that only the truly wealthy can afford, only do delude yourself.  

If you have "that" much money, then knock yourself out.  

If you had to make payments, and it only is a fucking watch (also art)... you need to examine you priorities or define them clearly.  If this is what makes you happy, then more power to you.  Two is one, one is none.  

Don't consider yourself any more "special" or important than the guy with two Sten guns.  Or 27 Aks.  

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 5:37:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Great watches, very versatile. I loved mine but sold it to upgrade to a Fifty Fathoms. I wanted something which was a bit more haute horologie. I think I lost about $200 on the Ceramic Sub after wearing it for a year. The resale on Rolexes is unmatched by most other brands. If you change your mind after buying it you shouldn't lose your shirt.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think that it is stupid to piss money away on things that only the truly wealthy can afford, only do delude yourself.  

If you had to make payments, and it only is a fucking watch (also art)... you need to examine you priorities or define them clearly.  If this is what makes you happy, then more power to you.  Two is one, one is none.  

Don't consider yourself any more "special" or important than the guy with two Sten guns.  Or 27 Aks.  

Really!?

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 6:01:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Love mine - NEVER wear it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 6:03:22 PM EDT
[#46]
I have a 16610

And a 16750.. Which is a vintage plastic quickset, which I prefer over the Sub.

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 6:13:56 PM EDT
[#47]
I don't have much to add to the above posts. I have a 16610 I bought new for myself about 5 years ago. I looked at watches and researched them for about a year until I finally realized that if I could only have one watch it would be the Submariner.

I'm still happy with my decision, but if I were not happy I could sell the watch now for the price I paid for it or a little more. I can't say the same for my wife's TAG Heuer.

If you have to finance a watch (or anything else besides a house or maybe a car), you probably shouldn't buy it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 6:15:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow.

It's OPs money to do with what he wants.  It has nothing to do with "being better" than someone... It has to do with doing the things that make one happy.

Friends of  mine think it's dumb to own multiple firearms or to own a motorcycle or other "toy"... Yet they happily blow loads of cash on their own hobbies which I find dumb.   But, it is their cash and their life,   Much like, it is my cash and my life.

I don't collect nice watches to impress anyone, I do it because it makes me happy and I find them to be functional pieces of art.
I would agree with you that it is dumb to buy a nice watch (or any other luxury item) on credit... Because it is dumb to buy luxury items with cash you don't have.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Hell yes! Welcome back man.

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 6:24:23 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow.

It's OPs money to do with what he wants.  It has nothing to do with "being better" than someone... It has to do with doing the things that make one happy.

Friends of  mine think it's dumb to own multiple firearms or to own a motorcycle or other "toy"... Yet they happily blow loads of cash on their own hobbies which I find dumb.   But, it is their cash and their life,   Much like, it is my cash and my life.

I don't collect nice watches to impress anyone, I do it because it makes me happy and I find them to be functional pieces of art.

I would agree with you that it is dumb to buy a nice watch (or any other luxury item) on credit... Because it is dumb to buy luxury items with cash you don't have.

And I have no problem with that.  I don't give a hairy rats ass if you collect fossilized stank taint teabags, if that is where you want to spend your scratch.

Don't act like a cock, like the guy I quoted, considering all other opinions as "haters".  Fuck, I would love to have the money to waste on wrist art.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top