User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 3:49:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
1. OP is trolling.
2. OP is a bitch that didn't need a mans shotgun in the first place and is going to get fucked by pawn shop owner, then owner is going to shoot OPs gun and rub his balls on it.

Pick one.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Its was a national chain.  I don't know who the owner is.  They claim its was an honest mistake but cannot get the gun back.  I really can't afford attorney's and what not.  Geebus.

You don't need an attorney. They can get the gun back in ten seconds if they want to. They have the 4473 from the person who bought it. They CAN get it back. If they tell you otherwise they are lying. If you let them get away with it, you're giving them permission to do it again.

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 3:51:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bought an SKS from a pawnshop once exactly like this. They did not have the right to sell it. The sheriff came and got the gun from me and I had to persue the pawn shop in small claims. I'm fairly confident your gun has been stolen by the pawn shop, even if they did not intend so. Contact the sheriff and report it stolen.

I.C.

They are claiming it was sold online to a buyer out of state, that is why they cannot get it back.  

So they must have the contact information of the person they sent it to, right? They contact them and get it back, or you contact law enforcement. Why are you such a gullible pushover?
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 3:53:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm thinking about reporting them to the state authorities, since they must have a state issued pawn license.  

stop thinking and start doing.

Quoted:
I'm not really sure what the local police or ATF could do.

you won't be sure until you go talk to them.

what was that saying?  oh yeah, "carpe diem".

i have two questions which have been on my mind since you started this thread, but no one seems to have touched yet.

1) you are the legal owner of the M1, correct?
2) no alarm bells are going to go off on you when you report this incident to the authorities, correct?

i ask because you seem awfully hesitant to bring the pain to the pawnshop via outside help.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 3:53:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

'ohh, it's a pawnshop.  that automatically means they're scum and will fuck you first chance they get'

Isn't that why they exist? They sure aren't there for unicorn piss and hugs.

Customers thank me every day. I'm there for them when they need a little help and they appreciate it. How many strangers have you loaned money to lately?
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 3:59:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

'ohh, it's a pawnshop.  that automatically means they're scum and will fuck you first chance they get'

Isn't that why they exist? They sure aren't there for unicorn piss and hugs.

Customers thank me every day. I'm there for them when they need a little help and they appreciate it. How many strangers have you loaned money to lately?

C'mon, let's not play good Samaritan.  I'd loan money to strangers all day if they left collateral worth many times more and I could charge high interest.

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 3:59:47 PM EDT
[#6]
this last post is truly ignorant.  Pawn shops are the bank for people who cannot get a loan with a "bank".  They serve a legitimate purpose and have a place in our society.

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 4:01:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bought an SKS from a pawnshop once exactly like this. They did not have the right to sell it. The sheriff came and got the gun from me and I had to persue the pawn shop in small claims. I'm fairly confident your gun has been stolen by the pawn shop, even if they did not intend so. Contact the sheriff and report it stolen.

I.C.

They are claiming it was sold online to a buyer out of state, that is why they cannot get it back.  

Utter BS from them or you.  Are you sure that you didn't pull an April Fools a day early on us?

I'm gonna go with this. /\/\/\/\/\/

And with this:
How the heck would an out of state buyer even know about it? Does this shop do online auctions? You might do a search on Gunbroker and Auction arms and see if it pops up.

Not to mention, he only had it for a week? He also couldn't have have shipped it directly to the buyer, it had to go to an ffl. Ask him for the ffl license of the recieving dealer. There is zero reason for not giving you that information. You are being lied to. Time to up the ante, call the sheriff and report the gun stolen.

I.C.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 4:01:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
this last post is truly ignorant.  Pawn shops are the bank for people who cannot get a loan with a "bank".  They serve a legitimate purpose and have a place in our society.  

What's ignorant about my post?
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 4:02:02 PM EDT
[#9]
WOW
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 4:02:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
It was supposed to be a 90-day loan at 180% apr.  But since I paid it off within a week I  only had to pay the minimum finance charge of $15 per Texas pawn regulations.

I'm thinking about reporting them to the state authorities, since they must have a state issued pawn license.  I'm not really sure what the local police or ATF could do.

I don't think they can get me a new M1 since they were discontinued several years ago by Benelli.  Maybe a cash settlement would be my best option,  then I could get a used M1 and some extra money too.  I just want a fair settlement with them.

Less than a week? I thought they even had to sit on stuff for a while to make sure it wasn't stolen.

In Florida at least they would have to hold it for two months before they can sell it.   I don't know Texas pawnshop rules but that's the way it is here.

Somehow some way you are getting screwed.

I would say go on gunbroker.com find the same model in mint condition and use the final sales price + 30% as the start of your negotiation.  You will also want a written statement that they sold model number ########## to John Q. Someone on x date so that if it ever comes back as being used in a crime you can point the police down the line to the next owner.

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 4:04:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He means they're a great place to hock stolen stuff since banks only take homes for collateral.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 4:09:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 4:18:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm thinking about reporting them to the state authorities, since they must have a state issued pawn license.  

Quoted:

i have two questions which have been on my mind since you started this thread, but no one seems to have touched yet.

2) no alarm bells are going to go off on you when you report this incident to the authorities, correct?

i ask because you seem awfully hesitant to bring the pain to the pawnshop via outside help.

ar-jedi

I just wanted to give the shop the benefit of making it right on their own before going to any outside legal help.

I've spoken with a couple of people from the place on the phone about this and they seemed very genuine about making things right with me.  

I mean, yes I'm peeved, but Its a gun I've had for eight years and never used.  But, I do wont to get fully and fairly compensated.

Its early on this, I'm keeping my options open.

FWIW the gun was mine and I'm not prohibited to own firearms,  If that's what you're implying.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 4:20:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd still ask for my original gun back, on principle.........
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 4:21:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He means they're a great place to hock stolen stuff since banks only take homes for collateral.

That depends on the shop, just like any industry there are good and bad people. In KS we are required to turn over copies of everything pawned or bought to the local PD. This year already we personally have lost around a $600 due to the police coming in and taking stolen items from our inventory. We get no reimbursement unless we go after the person who sold/pawned the item to us. The odds of actually collecting from them is very low, we can go to court and win a judgment, but most just won't pay. This is why we ask questions about why they are pawning/selling, where did they get it etc. It is money out of our own pocket to buy hot shit. The most satisfaction we can get, is to turn over all the evidence we can to help the police, and get the little fuckin' thieves punished.

Every profession has the low lifes. Doctors who will write any prescription for money, bankers that embezzle, etc.  Yes there are pawn shops who do not follow the laws and deal in hot stuff, but that does not mean ALL shops do it.

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 4:29:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ar-jedi

I just wanted to give the shop the benefit of making it right on their own before going to any outside legal help.

I've spoken with a couple of people from the place on the phone about this and they seemed very genuine about making things right with me.  

I mean, yes I'm peeved, but Its a gun I've had for eight years and never used.  But, I do wont to get fully and fairly compensated.

Its early on this, I'm keeping my options open.

FWIW the gun was mine and I'm not prohibited to own firearms,  If that's what you're implying.

According to http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/FI/htm/FI.371.htm they stand to be fined $1,000 per day of violation, up to maximum of 10k, plus they could have their license suspended; I would imagine they should be bending over backwards for you.

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Name the national chain!!

There isn't that many and, if it is the largest one, they have a very good database that wouldn't let them sell something on hold. So, the story stinks.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 4:30:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They can get the gun back in ten seconds if they want to.

Not if the person they sold it to doesn't want to give it back.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 4:31:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yea....Ok....

IIRC, Pawn shops in NC can charge a "rate" that's the equivalent of about 600% on an annual basis.  You consider that to be a legitimate place in society?  
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 4:37:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

There isn't that many and, if it is the largest one, they have a very good database that wouldn't let them sell something on hold. So, the story stinks.

It was Cash America.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 4:38:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea....Ok....

IIRC, Pawn shops in NC can charge a "rate" that's the equivalent of about 600% on an annual basis.  You consider that to be a legitimate place in society?  

It's pretty uncommon for an item to remain in pawn long enough to achieve an "ANNUAL" finance rate. Most loans are picked up in 30-40 days or less. Around here, a $40 loan would cost the borrower between $6 to $8 for the first 30 days. That's far less than a bounced check charge or the cost of getting utility services shut off and reconnected. The people who get pawn loans understand what they're doing and they enter into the agreement voluntarily. They do their own math and they see that paying a few dollars in loan fees is the least objectionable outcome in the situation they face at the moment.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 4:40:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea....Ok....

Each state has it's own laws on pawn. Kansas sets the max to be 10% a month, 120% annual. If NC is letting pawn shops get 600% then I agree with you, they are raping people.

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 4:44:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was Cash America.

Like I said, the story STINKS!! Cash America has a very good program for tracking items that can and cannot be sold. The system had to have been manipulated, by the clerk, to bypass the safeguards.

If this did happen, they will fire the clerk.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 4:46:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:[/spSoan]

It was Cash America.

Like I said, the story STINKS!! Cash America has a very good program for tracking items that can and cannot be sold. The system had to have been manipulated, by the clerk, to bypass the safeguards.

Are you raising the B.S. flag?
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 4:53:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Are you raising the B.S. flag?

Since it is a national chain tied into a specific vendor's system, the information is easy to verify....... but a copy of a pawn slip would be visible for everyone here.

It sounds like he is being played. Either the employees are dirty or we are being trolled.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 4:57:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was Cash America.

Look,  I'll I know is they couldn't produce my M1 when I went to redeem it.  They have offered the M2 as a replacement.  I'm weighing my options now.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 5:01:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
People wonder why shooters have a reputation for being idiots. This thread should be used as a text. I haven't seen this much concentrated stupidity since Rudy Giuliani ran for president.

This is why shooters are perceived to be paranoiacs and fools. Some of y'all need to crawl back under your rocks and shut up. You're embarassing us.

And.....how many times have you changed you "supposed" location  Mr. paranoid ?
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 5:21:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Cash America has a corporate office at this link

Go above the fucking counter monkeys and get your shit back. Call the corporate office and tell them exactly what happened.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 5:23:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I.C.

What a crock of shit.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 5:24:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I.C.

It would have been shipped to an FFL.  That FFL will know who the buyer is.  Yes, they can get the gun back, and if they can't you can ask them how ATF would react to a tip that that the shop's books are so bad they have no idea where guns are being sent?  Because ATF won't care about your civil problem, but they will care if the shop's books are messed up.

Oh, and I checked completed auctions on GB.  Only one Benelli M1 has been sold (private seller not Cash America) and that was for $1150.00.  NIB M2's, unless they're the "tactical" model, are going for just under $800.  The shotgun you're being offered is not NIB.  If you take the offer, I would hold out for the M2 plus $500 to make me happy.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 5:36:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I.C.

What a crock of shit.

+1

They didn't sell it out of state, and if they did it would be even easier to track.

Get corporate and LE involved.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 5:45:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Not buying this.  Cash America does not do online sale of firearms as far as I know.  I could be wrong but I have never heard of them doing internet firearm sales.

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 5:59:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Not buying this.  Cash America does not do online sale of firearms as far as I know.  I could be wrong but I have never heard of them doing internet firearm sales.  

I didn't think Cash America did firearm pawns, at least the ones around here.

A week is an awful short time to receive a firearm on pawn, take pictures, make a description, post on gun broker, have the auction run it's course, receive payment and the buyer's FFL information, ship the firearm, have the firearm received by the destination FFL, and have the FFL transfer it to the buyer.  Maybe if the employees were super motivated, did a "buy-it-now" auction, got the FFL via fax machine, and overnighted the firearm to the FFL who immediately transferred it.  But I would think super-motivated employees would have a grasp of the pawn business and not commit the fundamental sin of selling items while they were eligible for redemption.

I think it never went on the store's system, they gave you money out of their own pocket and hoped you'd never come back, enjoying their $500 deal on a $1250 shotgun.  

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I'd be giving the corporate offices of Cash America a call regarding your situation.  Best case, someone has screwed up policy very severely, worst case they are outright crooks.

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 6:11:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Cash America sells guns on Auction Arms.

http://cashamerica.com/RetailStores/GunSales.aspx
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 6:13:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

And a search shows no Benelli's sold.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 6:15:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Someone on Shotgunworld.com just posted a thread with the title, "I Bought a Benelli M2 off GB, They Sent Me An M1. What should I do?"

Mystery solved.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 6:20:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And a search shows no Benelli's sold.

Which means they just kept it for themselves. Someone at the shop wanted it....and will gladly give you an M2 for it.

If you do not report it as "stolen", which it is if my hunch is correct...you are a fool.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 6:27:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Given the time Cash America had to screw up.
It seems to be shady. I would think some of their employees cherry pick.

Like I said in a previous post in this thread. OP I believe someone at that shop wanted your discontinued shotgun and you are being lied to.

Sure Cash America can make it right with you.
As long as your satisfied with their offer and that is all that matters to you.

But who is being held accountable and will they do this to another customer in the future?
Get compensated for your loss first and then report them to the state licenseing authority and the ATF.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 6:30:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Get me MY gun back or put $1,500 in my hand.  

You don't even need an attorney at this point.  They are high-fiveing at this point instead of shittin' their pants!
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 6:31:05 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I.C.

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 6:32:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I.C.

+1
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 6:33:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I.C.

+1
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 6:38:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Well I like the last line of the regs you posted.
(6) When an attempt or offer to redeem, renew, or extend a pawn transaction is made and it is known or learned that pledged goods have been lost or damaged, the pledgor must accurately be informed of the facts of the situation, the status of the pledged goods, the pawnbroker's responsibility under Texas Finance Code, Chapter 371, and the pledgor's rights under paragraph (5) of this subsection. A model disclosure is provided in the following example.

Here is a link for the Texas OCCC call them Monday.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 7:12:29 PM EDT
[#44]
I think someone is lying. Cash America does sell a lot of guns online. I've bought a bunch of guns from them. The time doesn't add up. Generally an auction is up for at least a week or so. So no way they have already sold it, and got rid of it.

I also don't think Cash America as a business would pull something shady. They seem pretty professional, at least the online part of it is. A rogue employee pulling something ? Sure.

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 7:36:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Given the time Cash America had to screw up.
It seems to be shady. I would think some of their employees cherry pick.

Like I said in a previous post in this thread. OP I believe someone at that shop wanted your discontinued shotgun and you are being lied to.

Sure Cash America can make it right with you.
As long as your satisfied with their offer and that is all that matters to you.

But who is being held accountable and will they do this to another customer in the future?
Get compensated for your loss first and then report them to the state licenseing authority and the ATF.

+1
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 7:48:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Well, it's not like it was stolen or anything. Except it was stolen.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 9:23:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
1. OP is trolling.
2. OP is a bitch that didn't need a mans shotgun in the first place and is going to get fucked by pawn shop owner, then owner is going to shoot OPs gun and rub his balls on it.

Pick one.

Its was a national chain.  I don't know who the owner is.  They claim its was an honest mistake but cannot get the gun back.  I really can't afford attorney's and what not.  Geebus.

OP, I just read your update.

Don't be a chump. Go get your shotgun back. If they refuse, there are still a whole lot of things you can do to make their lives miserable even if you can't be assed into getting a lawyer. BBB, ATF, state pawn shop regulating agency, local police etc. All of them are resources you pay for with your tax dollars to work as your advocate in situations just like this one.

Go get your gun back dude. They aren't doing you a favor giving you a shotgun you didn't want plus a little shut-the-fuck-up money. They have the 4473 on file if it was truly sold to someone in error, and can get it back. At this point it is a stolen gun anyway so the threat of you putting it in the LEIN network alone would be enough to motivate them to contact the new owner.

If they want to pay someone off to make them happy it needs to be the guy they accidentally sold the gun to, but I suspect something else happened with it.
You don't need an attorney. They can get the gun back in ten seconds if they want to. They have the 4473 from the person who bought it. They CAN get it back. If they tell you otherwise they are lying. If you let them get away with it, you're giving them permission to do it again.

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 9:45:46 PM EDT
[#48]
I had a short conversation with someone connected with CA.  

Most likely, the local store is going to do what it takes to make you happy.  They'll be prepared to take a (significant) loss, especially since they'll understand that in this circumstance, not only did they fuck up somewhere, but the chances of recovering your specific gun are greatly diminished.

They will especially want to conclude this before you go up to CA Corporate.  If you call Corporate, youll get about the same resolution that the store would give you, but.... more than one person will get fired.  So, the store is going to be well motivated to make you happy.  Chances are that if it stays at the local level, one, maybe two folks will get fired.  If it goes to corporate, the chances for middle managers, or higher at the local level will have consequences.

Also, while there are specific legal remedies for you, it is reported that you'll attract more flies with honey than vinegar.  If you make it nasty, the regulatory agencies will really be the ones with the windfall, not you.  And, that windfall won't include criminal charges, just administrative penalties.

I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night.  Your Mileage May Vary.  But, I'd bet dollars to donuts this information will be helpful.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 4:23:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I had a short conversation with someone connected with CA.  

Most likely, the local store is going to do what it takes to make you happy.  They'll be prepared to take a (significant) loss, especially since they'll understand that in this circumstance, not only did they fuck up somewhere, but the chances of recovering your specific gun are greatly diminished.

They will especially want to conclude this before you go up to CA Corporate.  If you call Corporate, youll get about the same resolution that the store would give you, but.... more than one person will get fired.  So, the store is going to be well motivated to make you happy.  Chances are that if it stays at the local level, one, maybe two folks will get fired.  If it goes to corporate, the chances for middle managers, or higher at the local level will have consequences.

Also, while there are specific legal remedies for you, it is reported that you'll attract more flies with honey than vinegar.  If you make it nasty, the regulatory agencies will really be the ones with the windfall, not you.  And, that windfall won't include criminal charges, just administrative penalties.

I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night.  Your Mileage May Vary.  But, I'd bet dollars to donuts this information will be helpful.

I agree with this.  Use the honey approach and let them know what you want.  I would try for at least $1500 worth of stuff.  At least the M2 is inertia driven like the M1, and not gas.  If this is important to you, at least this matches with the gun they stole from you.  But I wouldn't let them off with just a swap.  Definately get something else.  Do they have any Canon or Nikon DSLRs in there?  What about another gun?  Anything they offer up to you is in their best interests.  They aren't going to offer you anything that costs them extra.  You have to be the one to pick out what will make you happy.  If they agree to your terms...do it.

Then, contact corporate (AFTER you have posession of everything).  Then, contact the AG...and all other agencies to make a stink out of it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 5:13:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Updates??????
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top