[#3]
Originally Posted By EdAvilaSr:
Originally Posted By Snake_driver:
Great thread.  Ed Sr., you're my hero!

Me in Vietnam 1972:

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb324/Snake_driver/Blue_Max11.jpg

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb324/Snake_driver/Snake_driver_03.jpg

No,sir. You are my hero!  

Ask any grunt who needed air cover, resupply,extractions or - a sad but welcome- med evac, what his favorite sound is, and most will say: thup,thup,thup (or whatever noise helicopters make)

Ain't this the goddamn truth.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 10:06:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lumpy03] [#5]
Originally Posted By Frank_The_Tank:
More trained killers in the Cav. up at Pleiku.  These are Scouts and Guns arriving to work.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb324/Snake_driver/Pleiku07.jpg

Gun Pilots in the Cav. hanging out waiting for the next mission.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb324/Snake_driver/H-17thPilots.jpg

Is that a grenade launcher in the nose(turret) of the cobra?

Yep, 40mm Grenade Launcher, 450 rounds per minute out of that beauty.  Also a 7.62mm minigun on the other side of the turret next to the 40 mike-mike.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb324/Snake_driver/G-ModelCobraTurret.jpg

RRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRPPPPPPP  !!

toonk-toonk-toonk

crump-crump-crump.......

and 17-pounders on the pylons.. HE and flechettes, Sir Charles ?
maybe some WILLIE PETE with that ?

DOmami KA-CHUA G.I.  !!
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 12:24:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Unfortunately, Mike Hatzell was KIA.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 12:29:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Da_Bunny] [#7]
Great thread.  Ed Sr., you're my hero!

Me in Vietnam 1972:

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb324/Snake_driver/Snake_driver_03.jpg

I know this guy.

We ran around ducking arty together.

Link Posted: 4/2/2012 12:33:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By Beamy:

awesome thread

to the guys who were over there, Thanks

+1 definately a tag for more pics...
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 12:45:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Great thread, great pics, thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 12:59:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By JIP:

Originally Posted By Beamy:
awesome thread

to the guys who were over there, Thanks

+1 definately a tag for more pics...

Link Posted: 4/2/2012 1:27:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Are those drop tanks?
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 3:22:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By g3shooter:

Are those drop tanks?

Pretty sure they're Napalm cannisters...  Then again, I could be completely wrong.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 4:01:48 AM EDT
[#13]
I think napalm, too... reminds me of an unbelievable pic
I gotta dig up....
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 9:06:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Da_Bunny:

I know this guy.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i103/BABunny/th_CobraPilot.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i103/BABunny/DSCN3202.jpg

We ran around ducking arty together.

Hey Da_Bunny, how you doin'?  Good to see you up and about these days on AR15.com.  Kontum was a hoot huh?  They just couldn't resist lobbing a few rounds in on us when we came to visit.  The only time I really, really hated it was while we were refueling our Cobras at the POL point and the rockets started dropping around us.  I guess it was just their way of saying Hi, we're still here and still pissed off at you.  We must of given too many of their friends long dirt naps!

Take care my friend!

Link Posted: 4/2/2012 9:24:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Great thread guys. My dad was a Vietnam vet who served with  company E 5th battalion 12th infantry 199th light infantry brigade. I'm still trying to piece together what he did over there from what he and family have told me. If anyone has the time I have a question that I'm trying to figure out. Dad was part of a 5 man team that consisted of a sniper (him), a recon guy, an arms bearer, a spotter, and one other guy. They did a lot of paroling and sniping in and along the Cambodian border and called in support a lot from the cobras.( he spoke fondly of the "show" they would put on). They also did a bit of tunnel ratting which my father or one other guy did. Does anyone know what kind of team this would be? I was thinking LRRP but I thought those were 4 man teams. Thanks in advance for any help.        

Link Posted: 4/2/2012 9:25:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: InfiniteGrim] [#16]
Originally Posted By MedPig:
Originally Posted By g3shooter:

Are those drop tanks?

Pretty sure they're Napalm cannisters...  Then again, I could be completely wrong.  

That was my guess, but I have no clue.

ETA: Looks like it, just missing the nose and fins

Link Posted: 4/2/2012 9:28:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 9:36:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Snake_driver] [#18]
Originally Posted By sdboy:
Great thread guys. My dad was a Vietnam vet who served with  company E 5th battalion 12th infantry 199th light infantry brigade. I'm still trying to piece together what he did over there from what he and family have told me. If anyone has the time I have a question that I'm trying to figure out. Dad was part of a 5 man team that consisted of a sniper (him), a recon guy, an arms bearer, a spotter, and one other guy. They did a lot of paroling and sniping in and along the Cambodian border and called in support a lot from the cobras.( he spoke fondly of the "show" they would put on). They also did a bit of tunnel ratting which my father or one other guy did. Does anyone know what kind of team this would be? I was thinking LRRP but I thought those were 4 man teams. Thanks in advance for any help.          

A LRRP team could be 4-6 guys and maybe a chu-hoi scout.  Chu-hoi's were former NVA's that had seen the light.  Sometime LRRP hit teams would lay-up in hiding for days waiting for for the right target to appear.  The rest of the time, they would just report what they were seeing on the radio and might just call in artillery or Cobras to do some of the dirty work while they stayed concealed.  They were some brave-assed folks.  Sometimes we'd arrive overhead and think to ourselves, "what the holy blue fuck are those guys doing clear out here"!

Link Posted: 4/2/2012 9:47:21 AM EDT
[#19]
This is awesome.  Several of my heroes are in this thread.

Link Posted: 4/2/2012 9:49:40 AM EDT
[#20]

A LRRP team could be 4-6 guys and maybe a Chu-hoi scout.  Chu-hoi's were former NVA's that had seen the light.  Sometime LRRP hit teams would lay-up in hiding for days waiting for for the right target to appear.  The rest of the time, they would just report what they were seeing on the radio and might just call in artillery or Cobras to do some of the dirty while they stayed concealed.  They were some brave-assed folks.  Sometimes we'd arrive overhead and think to ourselves, "what the holy blue fuck are those guys doing clear out here"!

Thank you so much for this post and saving guys like my dads ass. He talked about the guys in the cobras saving their asses many times and how the puff the magic dragon looked at night. He had  ton of respect and admiration for them. I know his weapon was a m14 and he used a starlight scope much of the time. I thought LRRPs were 4 guys otherwise everything else made sense to me. Your post helps clear that up for me. Of the things he told me he always spoke of his team but it never had a name and a couple sad stories that are best reserved for another day. He talked of being in the bush for 2 weeks or more at a time and sometimes getting to ride in a loach a few times to go out looking for things. Thank you again.

Link Posted: 4/2/2012 9:59:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 10:14:07 AM EDT
[#22]
This is a great thread and I would like to add to it....

Here are some guys my dad served with....

Sam Wheeler

My dad... last guy on right ......II Corps ......Company Commander B20 Mobile Strike Force 1969 with Montagnards on patrol.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 10:15:22 AM EDT
[#23]
-sdboy-  

it's really ironic how things come around- I've known of a couple of occasions,
no, more accurately, several, in which the guys on the ground and
the rotorheads met again lately, some just by complete chance,
some because of doggoned  determination to find and tell someone-

remember me ??  You and your crew pulled me outta that shit
hole,  that  crash,  that  impossible situation ...

God, it's rewarding to witness.  It happens among all stripes
of combat troops and even support folks.

and your Dad says sometimes- "it's a story for another day"-

respect that- there ARE some rough days.  A lot of guys here
know that because they have them  because of a long time
ago, and I regret to predict that a lot of recent returnees will
notice very painful "anniversaries".

It comes with the territory.

Please tell your Dad "Welcome Home" from us.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 10:18:27 AM EDT
[#24]

A LRRP team could be 4-6 guys and maybe a chu-hoi scout.  Chu-hoi's were former NVA's that had seen the light.  Sometime LRRP hit teams would lay-up in hiding for days waiting for for the right target to appear.  The rest of the time, they would just report what they were seeing on the radio and might just call in artillery or Cobras to do some of the dirty work while they stayed concealed.  They were some brave-assed folks.  Sometimes we'd arrive overhead and think to ourselves, "what the holy blue fuck are those guys doing clear out here"!

This is spot-on (from my experience) although not every team had the same mission or expertise)

Although some missions that a team (or teams) could be assigned were snatch patrols, take out a target, pick up a helicopter crew that was shot down, blow up non detonated bombs from B52 raids (to keep the VC from tunneling to it and using the explosives,etc) the great majority of the patrols  were to collect information without being detected. The teams were 4-6 men depending on who got attached to us for the specific mission (translator,AirForce FO for calling in air strikes,etc)

Generally, a platoon(s) would hang around Hueys back at our fire base (that provided artillery support). They were fully geared and ready to go in case we got in trouble. As I told Striker and thebeekeeper1, I will never forget their faces when we walked past them. They looked so sad and it seemed they anticipated never seeing us again. Little did they know that they had a huge "foot print" while we were a tiny force in constant movement, therefore hard to find (like a needle in a hay stack)
Before I go any further I want to state that I know my posts sound like BS but I assure you they are not. My dad explained in the same way of how everytime they would head out guys looked at them like they wouldn't ever see them again. He said on the day he was plucked from the bush the door gunner of the huey that came to pick him up gave him a bottle and wished him well, telling him he just started his tour. My dad said he felt exactly how those who looked at him that way must have felt. I wish I could have found the guy and got them in touch.

Dad explained most of his missions as going out and watching certain trails till the right targets appeared or going out ahead of larger forces to find the enemy. He spent a lot of time in and around Cambodia. Ed, if you ever tell your story, I would love to hear it. Again, thank you to all who served.

Link Posted: 4/2/2012 10:24:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 10:27:47 AM EDT
[#26]

Originally Posted By Lumpy03:

-sdboy-  

At the risk of hijacking or ruining the thread I'll try to keep it short. My dad went to a better place last year. He was homeless for a while and in and out of the VA. I looked and looked but couldn't find him until an arfcommer offered to help. Within a day This arfcommer found him and I got to go see him right before heart surgery. He died a few months later. I will never forget what that guy did for me. Dad talked little of what he did when I was young unless he was drinking. He read me some of the papers he got that explained how he got his medals but I'm still piecing together what he did. My heart breaks for all of you that had to experience Vietnam.

Link Posted: 4/2/2012 10:29:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Snake_driver] [#27]
Sadly, we are losing many of the Vietnam Veterans.  The TAPS section is the biggest part of our Vietnam Helicopter Pilot's Assoc. Newsletter these days.  Sorry for your loss sdboy.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 10:33:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 10:35:19 AM EDT
[#29]
crazy how memory is, Ed.

that's my hooch (with the white front) in Snake's avatar.

and Sam Wheeler looks familiar as hell.  Some of my
buds were LLRP and former ones- and a couple of
'Yards..

my bunch (NOT ME)  did a shitload of SOG-type flight
support, and all that that entails.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 10:40:00 AM EDT
[#30]

-sdboy-  

At the risk of hijacking or ruining the thread I'll try to keep it short. My dad went to a better place last year. He was homeless for a while and in and out of the VA. I looked and looked but couldn't find him until an arfcommer offered to help. Within a day This arfcommer found him and I got to go see him right before heart surgery. He died a few months later. I will never forget what that guy did for me. Dad talked little of what he did when I was young unless he was drinking. He read me some of the papers he got that explained how he got his medals but I'm still piecing together what he did. My heart breaks for all of you that had to experience Vietnam.

So sorry for your loss. I KNOW he will not be forgotten.

and no hijack involved . . .  you are inextricably part of this.

Link Posted: 4/2/2012 10:41:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EdAvilaSr] [#31]
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 10:56:28 AM EDT
[#32]

Here is a pic of dad freshly drafted out of MN in 68. His name was Willard but most over there they called him willie or rat. He was with company E 5th battalion 12th infantry 199th light infantry brigade in 68-69.

Link Posted: 4/2/2012 10:56:58 AM EDT
[#33]
My uncle Don was a LRRP medic with 173rd airborne brigade, 25th BN. I will try and find which company he was with.  I believe he served in '67.  He also served as a huey medic with 159th Dustoff out of Cu Chi in '68 and '69.  I would love to find some pics of him or find some guys who knew him back then.  He talks to me about it every now and then.  

If anyone ever got medi-vac'd out and the medic wore a blue NY Yankee's hat, that was my uncle.

Thank all of you for your service and your sacrifice.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 11:00:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Sadly, we are losing many of the Vietnam Veterans.  The TAPS section is the biggest part of our Vietnam Helicopter Pilot's Assoc. Newsletter these days.  Sorry for your loss sdboy.

yes, Chief !  My gang lost two in the past month or less-
one to disease, and another went "to Heaven on a Harley"

RIP, Brothers Greg and Jack...
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 11:03:43 AM EDT
[#35]
I can really appreciate what you LRRP guys were doing on a daily basis. I was and ordinary grunt but every once in a while they would send a few of us out to capture a prisoner.

Few people that have not done it can appreciate how difficult it is to capture someone alive without getting killed yourself.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 11:09:57 AM EDT
[#36]

crazy how memory is, Ed.

that's my hooch (with the white front) in Snake's avatar.

and Sam Wheeler looks familiar as hell.  Some of my

buds were LLRP and former ones- and a couple of

'Yards..

my bunch (NOT ME)  did a shitload of SOG-type flight

support, and all that that entails.

Ain't that something!!!!!!!!!!

sdboy: SI am so sorry for your loss, and for the last year(s) of your dad being homeless

There is a silver lining Ed that this very site is responsible for. After I found him thanks to an arfcommer, and he was done with surgery, he was in the VA to recover. My sister and I, against my wishes but with his in mind, got him out of the VA and into an apartment. He passed not in the VA but in his home which is what he wanted. It was an awful decision to make as I knew the outcome before it happened but it is what it is.

Link Posted: 4/2/2012 12:12:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Captain_Morgan] [#37]
This is a great thread.

I would like to thank every one of you that served.  You are better men than I.

Please keep sharing your pictures and stories.

ETA: Striker said that there would be other threads for different conflicts.  Could anyone link them?

Link Posted: 4/2/2012 12:34:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Tag
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 1:41:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 1:46:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 3:08:49 PM EDT
[#41]
I'll try.
Scanner's tied up now.

great thread, Striker !
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 8:55:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:
This is awesome.  Several of my heroes are in this thread.

amen to that.  Thank you to all of you.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 10:42:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 10:48:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By badfish274:
At what point does that skinny kid with 'Avila' on his nametag get EdSr's massive arms?

That didn't happen until I turned 50 something and decided I wasn't going to be an "old man" at that age . I am at 64 (this month) though

You're only as old as you think you are.

Link Posted: 4/4/2012 11:51:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Crazy times back then.  I missed the war by about 10 years.  Graduated HS in 78.  About 1970 my Dad got into a little trouble with the law.  He beat the hell out of a couple hippies.  You know, the long hair, beards, and beads.  Dad was in Korea, (think Clint Eastwood's character in Grand Torino) and these guys were protesting the war and bad mouthing the soldiers at the local mall.  Dad approached them, had words and the punching, kicking, and choking began.

Funny thing is...a week or so later Dad and I see one of these guys downtown.  The hippie approaches and Dad gets ready for round two.  He holds up his hands with piece of paper in it.  He hands it to Dad.  It's the hippies  DD214.  He'd actually been to Vietnam and was now a war protester.  Dad said he didn't understand the hippie's actions now that he was home, the hippie replied he didn't either?  Dad shook his hand and we walked away.

Weird times.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 12:31:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tin_Star] [#46]
The Vietnam "Conflict" touched many of us. I was too young to go. I had two uncles who did.
One of them has his name engraved on the wall:

http://thewall-usa.com/info.asp?recid=586

RIP Uncle Ronnie
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 2:28:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 2:36:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 9:20:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Bump for more guys.

One of my earliest memories is driving with my Mom and Grand Dad to LAX (Or whatever it was called in the 60's) to pick up my cousin

Curtis (He'd been shot while a Corpsman attached to the Marines about the time I was 4yrs old/'67).  He went through some rough times

back home but he's doing good these days and is enjoying the time he spends with his Grand kiddos down in Texas.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 10:07:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Great Thread Thanks
Page / 43
Vietnam. (Page 3 of 43)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top