Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/27/2012 7:27:34 AM EDT
Sautrday.
Not soon after walking in the door and picking up a flier someone who presented himself as the manager said it was against the law to have the gun in the store or the parking lot and asked me to leave. I have been in this store numerous times and I don't recall ever seeing this person (not that is really matters). Not posted on the door btw.

The person's name was Derek - Store number 3245.
7645 150th Street West
Apple Valley, MN 55124
(952) 432-9200

Here is what I got from the corp hq this morning after sending them an email

O'Reilly Auto Parts forbids the carry or possession of a firearm in our
stores and in compliance with Minnesota state law request customers refrain
from bringing firearms in when doing business. We hope our store manager
approached and advised you of this policy in a polite and courteous manner
and apologize if this was not the case. You are certainly welcome in our
stores we just request you do not bring your gun in with you. We truly
appreciate your business and it is our sincere hope you will continue to
choose O'Reilly Auto Parts for your future automotive needs. If we may be
of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us. Your
comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Sincere Regards,
Randy DeRossett
Customer Satisfaction Department
O'Reilly Auto Parts
[email protected]
(417) 862-2674 ext. 5202

I posted to their Facebook page and as of today my comments about their policy are gone and I have been taken off their page. I guess they don't want this to be known.

Here is what I sent as a response to their original email.

You have chosen to ban firearms in your store and that is your right. As such, I have chosen to take my gun, and my money, to your competitors until such time as you choose to allow law-abiding armed citizens in your establishment. As this is your policy I will be adding your store to the registry of business that does not want the patronage of the 96,000 citizens of the state of Minnesota that are legally allowed to carry a firearm.

Citizens are legally allowed to carry firearms openly or concealed (with a valid license) to protect themselves and their families in case someone else threatens to harm them. As a Citizen with a concealed handgun license,
• We have no felony convictions.
• We have never been convicted of domestic violence.
• We have no history of mental illness or drug addiction.
• We have passed a background check and have fingerprints on file with the Authorities.
• We have passed mandatory training in both the use of a firearm and the applicable law.

Can you say that about your other customers?

By prohibiting all weapons, you have disarmed and made helpless anyone who enters your store—except for criminals, who won’t follow your policy anyway. In essence, you’ve made your store more dangerous for patrons who carry legally...and safer for criminals.

Please consider changing your policy. There may come a time when an armed, law-abiding citizen stands between you and an armed criminal.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 7:29:01 AM EDT
[#1]
How did they know you had a gun?
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 7:29:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. I rarely hit auto parts stores but i'll find another one when I do.

Link Posted: 3/27/2012 7:30:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Minnesota has OC with a permit.

Link Posted: 3/27/2012 7:30:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

this!
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 7:30:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I was driving my M109A3 (deuce) and did not want to leave my camera bag in the car. I'm guessing the bag pulled my shirt up a little exposing it. But I have been shopping there for years and most of the staff know I carry as we have had great conversations about rights to carry. Never had a problem there before.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 7:31:26 AM EDT
[#6]
They have a sign up at the buy for less in MWC.....wrote them never got anything back and I've haven't been back since and never will go back.....
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 7:32:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was driving my M109A3 (deuce) and did not want to leave my camera bag in the car. I'm guessing the bag pulled my shirt up a little exposing it. But I have been shopping there for years and most of the staff know I carry as we have had great conversations about rights to carry. Never had a problem there before.

Got ya. I prefer NAPA anyway. Will never buy a thing in O'Reillys now.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 7:33:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Damn, O'Reilly is one of few parts stores in town that carry Wix filters.  Guess I'll have to check and see if they have a proper no weapons sticker on the door.  If so I guess drive a little further to spend my money.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 7:34:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got ya. I prefer NAPA anyway. Will never buy a thing in O'Reillys now.

Let them know it. The more people express this the better.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 7:35:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Well shit... I've always shopped at O'Reilly.

I have yet to see any posted  no CCW in Wisconsin.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 7:35:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I printed up business card sized things with THIS on the front

and this on the back

I have handed out a couple and the mouth breather managers I gave them to kind of shrugged. I still feel good about handing them out
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 7:36:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

There was not a sign here in MN either.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 7:36:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 7:38:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn, O'Reilly is one of few parts stores in town that carry Wix filters.  Guess I'll have to check and see if they have a proper no weapons sticker on the door.  If so I guess drive a little further to spend my money.

I buy Wix on Amazon.  I just get a few at a time so I always have what I need.

Buy mine on Ebay, several good Wix dealers there. Wix is good stuff, I don't use anything else!
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 7:38:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sautrday.
Not soon after walking in the door and picking up a flier someone who presented himself as the manager said it was against the law to have the gun in the store or the parking lot and asked me to leave. I have been in this store numerous times and I don't recall ever seeing this person (not that is really matters). Not posted on the door btw.

7645 150th Street West
Apple Valley, MN 55124
(952) 432-9200

Sincere Regards,
Randy DeRossett
O'Reilly Auto Parts
[email protected]
(417) 862-2674 ext. 5202

I posted to their Facebook page and as of today my comments about their policy are gone and I have been taken off their page. I guess they don't want this to be known.

You have chosen to ban firearms in your store and that is your right. As such, I have chosen to take my gun, and my money, to your competitors until such time as you choose to allow law-abiding armed citizens in your establishment. As this is your policy I will be adding your store to the registry of business that does not want the patronage of the 96,000 citizens of the state of Minnesota that are legally allowed to carry a firearm.

Citizens are legally allowed to carry firearms openly or concealed (with a valid license) to protect themselves and their families in case someone else threatens to harm them. As a Citizen with a concealed handgun license,
• We have passed a background check and have fingerprints on file with the Authorities.
• We have passed mandatory training in both the use of a firearm and the applicable law.

By prohibiting all weapons, you have disarmed and made helpless anyone who enters your store—except for criminals, who won’t follow your policy anyway. In essence, you’ve made your store more dangerous for patrons who carry legally...and safer for criminals.

Please consider changing your policy. There may come a time when an armed, law-abiding citizen stands between you and an armed criminal.

Nicely written.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 7:39:49 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then keep carrying in there. All they can do is ask you to leave.

Link Posted: 3/27/2012 7:40:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Email sent:

Mr. DeRosset,

Can you please confirm for me that O'Reilly's has a no-guns policy in your stores?

Best regards,
[____________________]

I have no reason to doubt the story but I want confirmation for myself. If this is indeed their policy, it will be another company on my list of "will not do business with".

Link Posted: 3/27/2012 7:42:02 AM EDT
[#18]
We have a new one in town here. I will have to go by.

In Michigan they have to have a sign, so they might get listed as a non-friendly store on the MCRGO website.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 7:44:17 AM EDT
[#19]
I shoot guns with the owner of my local CarQuest store.

Link Posted: 3/27/2012 7:45:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

If they don't support my right to carry I don't want to support them with my money.  Even if they don't support it per se but follow the law of the land I could live with that. But it they are going to ask me to leave because I am armed then I am not going out of my way to spend my money there. There are plenty of other places to get what I need that don't discriminate.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 7:46:13 AM EDT
[#21]
No sign on the one back in OH. Good thing, too, they were the closest and most helpful of any other store nearby.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 7:49:02 AM EDT
[#22]
I will have to ask about our stores. My FFL is the manager at one of them.
I can order from NAPA, Advance, Autozone, and a couple local places with the click of a mouse. O'Reilly has quick delivery, but I wouldn't really notice if I stopped using them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 7:49:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

this!

that!
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 7:56:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 8:00:42 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm not saying to break their rules, but concealed means concealed.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 8:02:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Purolator is just as good and made in the USA.
Advance sells them online...
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 8:05:36 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I do not patronize businesses that do not respect my CHL.

Link Posted: 3/27/2012 8:06:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Pro tip:

Places that really care have metal detectors.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 8:07:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/walt_l/nogunsnomoneyfront.jpg

and this on the back

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/walt_l/nogunsnomoneyback.jpg

I have handed out a couple and the mouth breather managers I gave them to kind of shrugged. I still feel good about handing them out

i would love to get some of these if you print them out i would gladly donate money to the cause and possibly get a few for myself
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 8:12:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I buy Wix on Amazon.  I just get a few at a time so I always have what I need.

Buy mine on Ebay, several good Wix dealers there. Wix is good stuff, I don't use anything else!

NAPA Gold are Wix filters.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 8:13:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

And those attitudes are why we keep putting our hard earned money into the pockets of ANTI-GUN folks.

STOP SPENDING MONEY WITH BUSINESSES THAT WISH TO RESTRICT YOUR BASIC HUMAN RIGHTS!!!!

Link Posted: 3/27/2012 8:13:30 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Purolator is just as good and made in the USA.

Advance sells them online...

rockauto.com is pretty good, last i checked they had about 87 different brands of filters to pick from

Link Posted: 3/27/2012 8:16:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I do not patronize businesses that do not respect my CHL.

While I agree with the first post I've quoted,  I agree more with the second.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 8:18:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

that part is outstanding
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 8:18:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Not here. The owner and his wife CC.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 8:21:44 AM EDT
[#36]
The email that you sent them was very well-written. Your tone was respectful and polite, but firm.

I like the cut of your jib, OP.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 8:27:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The email that you sent them was very well-written. Your tone was respectful and polite, but firm.

I can't take credit for all of it. I did some searching and found parts I liked from others that have written to companies. Thanks go to those who before me have stood up against policies like this.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 8:30:41 AM EDT
[#38]
I already added Oreillys to the do not do business with a year ago for the simple fact that the bunch who runs the one here are a bunch of incompetent assholes who don't want my business. This just reaffirms my belief.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 8:32:34 AM EDT
[#39]
I sent Mr. DeRossett an email.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 8:34:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I can't take credit for all of it. I did some searching and found parts I liked from others that have written to companies. Thanks go to those who before me have stood up against policies like this.

That may be so, but it would've been much easier (and probably more viscerally satisfying) to just fly off the handle and be a dick. Instead, you took the time to do a little research and assemble a sensible response, which is a good and thumbs-uppable thing.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 8:47:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Sautrday.

7645 150th Street West
Apple Valley, MN 55124
(952) 432-9200

Sincere Regards,
Randy DeRossett
O'Reilly Auto Parts
[email protected]
(417) 862-2674 ext. 5202

Write the cooperate headquarters:
O'Reilly Auto Parts Corporate Office & Headquarters located at 233 S Patterson
Ave in Springfield, MO 65802

I think this is a regional manger being a prick. I have never seen or heard of an O’Reilly posting no guns signs even though they can in Missouri.

Link Posted: 3/27/2012 8:53:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

And those attitudes are why we keep putting our hard earned money into the pockets of ANTI-GUN folks.

STOP SPENDING MONEY WITH BUSINESSES THAT WISH TO RESTRICT YOUR BASIC HUMAN RIGHTS!!!!

Thats why I left Minnesota. THE SHIT HOLE IS ALL COMMUNIST AND HATE PEOPLE WITH GUNS!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 8:56:38 AM EDT
[#43]
nothing on the local store stating such...
but still this really sucks
on one hand they don't want my business
on the other hand they have "old guys" on hand that can find correct parts
for old cars/tractors/four wheeler etc... etc..

worked for Oreilly back in high school
they do some shady stuff in management area
fairly common though
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 9:02:38 AM EDT
[#44]
that's a pretty stupid policy...

gun owners usually are repeat customers if you just leave them alone.

with a couple of choice words they alienated over a million customers.

Link Posted: 3/27/2012 9:05:36 AM EDT
[#45]
I don't have this problem at Advanced Auto Parts
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 9:09:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Down here in Florida, they can stuff the signs up their asses since they are meaningless- the management or store rep must ask you to leave which you must do or face armed trespass charges.

Nonetheless, now that I know corporate policy, O'Reilly's can suck a fat one... now if I could just get their fucking jingle outta my mind .
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 9:12:33 AM EDT
[#47]
i just sent a quick email inquiring about it!
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 9:15:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Well, in case I needed another reason to never shop there, I have it. That place really sucks in my area.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 9:21:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

this!

Yeah, and it's a shame too. There's one near my house, and they always have good deals on oil and filters.

Oh well.

Back to Vatozone for me...

ETA: Just sent Mr. DeRossett an e-mail inquiring as to whether their anti-gun policy is a nationwide policy. If he says it is, I'll inform him that I will pass that information on to my friends, family, and anyone who will listen via social media (YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, et al), which has a much wider, worldwide reach than just word of mouth.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 9:22:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/walt_l/nogunsnomoneyfront.jpg

and this on the back

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/walt_l/nogunsnomoneyback.jpg

Do you have that in a pdf or word format? I'd like to get a few boxes of those made to hand out anywhere I see a gunbusters sign.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top