Page / 152
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 3:59:17 PM EDT
[#1]
My cat's breath smells like cat food.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 4:01:26 PM EDT
[#2]
snip:
Quoted:
Yet some still want to argue that home prices at current levels are justified.  

While prices in some of the worst areas (AZ; NV; etc.) have fallen dramatically since '07 I think that for the most part we will inflate into the current prices to keep CDS and similar from activating.  Here in Texas we did not have as much of a bubble due to laws limiting what a bank could loan a homeowner against his property.  That, in addition to the current energy boom and influx of people from around the country, has made prices go up.  In the Austin area apartments are full and rentals command top dollar, so the builders are busy.

It looks like TPTB are trying to prevent the European crisis from triggering CDS by redefining 'default' so it does not cover contained/organized/slow bankruptcy etc. like what Greece is going thru.  I expect the European bailout to continue at low/stealth levels until '14, when it will have to kick into high gear and we will see both US and European currencies inflate at high levels (openly, via .gov statistics, in the 15%-20% range, reality = higher) simultaneously.  Keep that up for four to six years and .gov debts don't look so bad.  It will suck for you and me, of course.  I was a teen during the '78-81 period of inflation, and it caused a good deal of pain and suffering to the country.  No sense trying to buy a house when the prime rate is 18%.

Note:  I just popped in after a year or so of absence and the thread is apparently in the midst of drama.  If someone could IM a Cliff Notes version it would be appreciated.  Hope we didn't lose anyone positive.

Link Posted: 3/24/2012 6:36:50 PM EDT
[#3]
In on page three. Will stop in every ten pages or so to see if we are seeing bad yet. Im pretty sure we still wont though. Just some inflation until the middle class really feels their pocketbook being burdened by daily purchases.  Then we will have cut spending rather than a tax increase.  Sucks to be a poor guy waiting for the middle class to get pissed off but no economic collapse, no dollar collapse.  At worst a perpetual slide into a lower standard of living over decades.  At best the people reject the higher taxes that will be asked of EVERYONE since there isnt enough rich people money to pay for everything and we see things get better over decades.  Either way nothing drastic or noticeable to a lot of the ignorant masses will happen.

Link Posted: 3/24/2012 8:17:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Gasoline this high during a DOWN economy is a very bad sign

"So,  supply is high across the board, inventories are stocked, and demand is  weak.  By all common market logic, gasoline prices should be  plummeting, and far more Americans should be smiling at the pump.  Of  course, this is not the case.  Prices continue to rise despite  deflationary elements, meaning, there must be some other factors at work  here causing inflation in prices.

Ironically, stock market  activity in the Dow has now come under threat from this inflationary  trend in oil.  Rising energy costs have essentially put a cap on the  epic explosion of equities, and many mainstream analysts now lament over  this Catch-22.  The problem is that these investors and pundits are  operating on the assumption that the Dow bull market is legitimate, and  that the rally in oil is somehow an extension of a "healthier economy”.   This version of reality, I’m afraid, is about as far from the truth as  one can stretch…

In the candy coated world of Obamanomics, high  priced stocks are a valid signal of economic growth, and oil is rising  due to demand which extends from this growth.  In the real world, stock  values are completely fabricated, especially in light of record low  trade volume over the past several months"

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/oil-conundrum-explained

One more time.

From SocGen, via BI (-over from the late great YASBY7)

SocGen: All Oil Spikes Have One Thing In Common

Link Posted: 3/24/2012 8:23:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Get used to it.  When "IT" hits the fan, you'll have two choices, eat the cat food or the cat.

Link Posted: 3/24/2012 8:40:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get used to it.  When "IT" hits the fan, you'll have two choices, eat the cat food or the cat.

This is Arfcom - eat both.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 8:58:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 9:13:06 PM EDT
[#8]
The next 'Bubble'?; or should we say exposure of Fraud/Theft

Just an isolated incident...

The Illusion of wealth continues...

Tungsten-Filled 1 Kilo Gold Bar Found In The UK

Link Posted: 3/24/2012 9:20:52 PM EDT
[#9]

I'll give you, like, fifty bucks for it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 9:25:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I expect that will become clear by late summer, and the "oh shit, O may just get re-elected" gun and goodie rush will be on.

As an FFL, I can tell you that started a few weeks ago.  We thought it was just people spending their income tax refunds, but the demand isn't dropping off like in past years.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 9:29:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Various countries have been pumping out tungsten gold bars for a while.

Link Posted: 3/24/2012 9:30:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I expect that will become clear by late summer, and the "oh shit, O may just get re-elected" gun and goodie rush will be on.

As an FFL, I can tell you that started a few weeks ago.  We thought it was just people spending their income tax refunds, but the demand isn't dropping off like in past years.

Ruger suspended taking orders to fill the 1 million + guns they have to make to fill the first quarter of 2012's demands alone.

Link Posted: 3/24/2012 9:44:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

TO BE TOTALLY FAIR that EO is an update of an EO that dates back to 1950 or thereabouts.  However, I fell about this like a feel about the Patriot Act.  Sooner or later, the wrong President will use it.

We have the wrong President right now.

We've had wrong presidents and more importantly wrong congresses for a long time now.

Link Posted: 3/24/2012 9:47:01 PM EDT
[#14]
In on DAY one .
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 9:58:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

TO BE TOTALLY FAIR that EO is an update of an EO that dates back to 1950 or thereabouts.  However, I fell about this like a feel about the Patriot Act.  Sooner or later, the wrong President will use it.

We have the wrong President right now.

We've had wrong presidents and more importantly wrong congresses for a long time now.

True.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 10:02:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 10:05:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Tag
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 10:09:34 PM EDT
[#18]
We've had a bought political process for a long time- both sides, and from the president down. The result; our political process is less a servant of the greater American good now than any other period in American history.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 10:17:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What noodle with cat?
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 10:23:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What noodle with cat?

Ramen.

Buy it cheap, stack it deep.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 10:30:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Hey, what's going on here?
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 11:03:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What noodle with cat?

-Chicken!

Link Posted: 3/24/2012 11:10:41 PM EDT
[#23]
"My cat's breath smells like cat food" = Ralph Wiggim

There is a chance we will all be eating catfood eventually, as soon as the govt. seizes our domestic food production- for the good of the country of course.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 11:32:14 PM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 3/25/2012 12:15:54 AM EDT
[#25]

Meh, don't see the problem with it. I resemble that remark, but my TV is usually on CNBC, or Cartoon Network
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 12:23:55 AM EDT
[#26]

How the hell does someone even watch an *average* of 8 hours of TV a day? I probably only watch 2-3 hours a day after work and sometimes feel that is too much.

Link Posted: 3/25/2012 1:21:17 AM EDT
[#27]
I was wondering the same thing.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 5:03:13 AM EDT
[#28]
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-03-24/fed-purchases-of-more-bonds-opposed-by-two-regional-presidents

Two Federal Reserve district bank presidents said the strengthening U.S. economy is reducing the need for additional monetary easing.

“As the U.S. economy continues to rebound and repair,” additional steps “may create an overcommitment to ultra-easy monetary policy,” St. Louis Fed President James Bullard said in a speech yesterday in Hong Kong. Atlanta Fed President Dennis Lockhart said in Washington that “we should hold the balance sheet where it is for the time being and watch how the economy evolves.”
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 6:10:05 AM EDT
[#29]
I heard the local car guy radio show yesterday and he reported that gas in Great Britain has just hit $10.00 a gallon. I know their taxes are higher, smaller vehicles, etc., but damn, that's expensive.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 6:46:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Everything is fine so far, all goods and services are readily available even though there is some inflation.

Problems have not even started, if there will be any problems with our economy.

On one hand there are reports of inflatiion/lost jobs/foreclosures/etc yet on the other hand Consumerism shows America is fine for now.

Apple is making loads of cash on stock and items.  There are lines for hours to buy the latest/greatest gadget from them, all which cost a load of money.  If people did not have money they would not buy it.

Non-essential items have not gone down significantly in sales: Big screen tvs, video game systems, expensive clothese, car sales, etc.

I see loads of people driving around for fun, wasting gas.  Lets see how much travel is done on the easter holiday.

Everyone can talk of how bad it is, but until the rampant consumerism of non essential items drops like a rock it isn't bad at all.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 7:32:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What noodle with cat?

What wine?  White or Red?
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 7:32:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

In the candy coated world of Obamanomics, high  priced stocks are a valid signal of economic growth, and oil is rising  due to demand which extends from this growth.  In the real world, stock  values are completely fabricated, especially in light of record low  trade volume over the past several months"

[/div]

One more time.

http://static6.businessinsider.com/image/4f67d132ecad04b61d00001c/chart.png
[/div]

I don't how this oil spike can trigger another recession. The Great Recession never ended.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 7:37:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Everything is fine so far, all goods and services are readily available even though there is some inflation.

On one hand there are reports of inflatiion/lost jobs/foreclosures/etc yet on the other hand Consumerism shows America is fine for now.

Apple is making loads of cash on stock and items.  There are lines for hours to buy the latest/greatest gadget from them, all which cost a load of money.  If people did not have money they would not buy it.

Non-essential items have not gone down significantly in sales: Big screen tvs, video game systems, expensive clothese, car sales, etc.

I see loads of people driving around for fun, wasting gas.  Lets see how much travel is done on the easter holiday.

Everyone can talk of how bad it is, but until the rampant consumerism of non essential items drops like a rock it isn't bad at all.

Have you ever heard of credit cards? Have you ever met someone that can't turn down a "good deal" even if the don't have cash? Put is on The Card, that's consumerism in the USA.

Link Posted: 3/25/2012 7:52:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I heard the local car guy radio show yesterday and he reported that gas in Great Britain has just hit $10.00 a gallon. I know their taxes are higher, smaller vehicles, etc., but damn, that's expensive.

And our current Energy Secretary wants to hit that price in the US.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 7:56:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you ever heard of credit cards? Have you ever met someone that can't turn down a "good deal" even if the don't have cash? Put is on The Card, that's consumerism in the USA.

In the last thread someone posted a chart showing how all debt is increasing again.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 8:50:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

How the hell does someone even watch an *average* of 8 hours of TV a day? I probably only watch 2-3 hours a day after work and sometimes feel that is too much.  

+1

The only way I can come close to 4-6 hours is on Sunday morning, while feeding the kid, drinking coffee, reading the paper, arguing with ********* on the YASBYBIC threads, and leaving the TV on in the background.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 9:23:48 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

That's probably per household.

Link Posted: 3/25/2012 11:12:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
In on page three. Will stop in every ten pages or so to see if we are seeing bad yet. Im pretty sure we still wont though. Just some inflation until the middle class really feels their pocketbook being burdened by daily purchases.  Then we will have cut spending rather than a tax increase.  Sucks to be a poor guy waiting for the middle class to get pissed off but no economic collapse, no dollar collapse.  At worst a perpetual slide into a lower standard of living over decades.  At best the people reject the higher taxes that will be asked of EVERYONE since there isnt enough rich people money to pay for everything and we see things get better over decades.  Either way nothing drastic or noticeable to a lot of the ignorant masses will happen.  

Victor,
Although you have a strong contrarian viewpoint to most who post here you have been a gentleman in how you express your opinions. Having a counter point in a discussion is good for a healthy debate.  I look forward to your thoughts.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 11:35:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Victor,
Although you have a strong contrarian viewpoint to most who post here you have been a gentleman in how you express your opinions. Having a counter point in a discussion is good for a healthy debate.  I look forward to your thoughts.

This.
Tomac

Link Posted: 3/25/2012 11:46:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

One more time.

http://static6.businessinsider.com/image/4f67d132ecad04b61d00001c/chart.png

[/div]
I don't how this oil spike can trigger another recession. The Great Recession never ended.[/div]

Maybe now they'll call it by what it is: A Depression.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 11:48:49 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Since Obama has been President the dollar has been deflated.

Outlook bleak.  

Please refrain from voting him a second term.  

That is all.  

The dollar deflation is something that is much larger than Obama and his first term.

EACH AND EVERY ADMINISTRATION as far back as at least Carter has played a major role in where we are today.

This in no way implies that he should get a second term.  He's nitrous oxide for the dollar devaluation process.

Didn't it start with Nixon removing us from the gold standard

Link Posted: 3/25/2012 11:51:44 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Since Obama has been President the dollar has been deflated.

Outlook bleak.  

Please refrain from voting him a second term.  

That is all.  

The dollar deflation is something that is much larger than Obama and his first term.

EACH AND EVERY ADMINISTRATION as far back as at least Carter has played a major role in where we are today.

This in no way implies that he should get a second term.  He's nitrous oxide for the dollar devaluation process.

Didn't it start with Nixon removing us from the gold standard

Well that's just tinfoil quackery.......I've been told that going off the gold standard was one of the best things that could have ever happened because now we have infinite supply of dollars.  We shall all be wealthy!!

Link Posted: 3/25/2012 11:53:46 AM EDT
[#43]

Officially we don't watch TV, but the computer/Internet has become the new TV for us.  Kids can watch their shows on the computer and it promotes computer use and learning games.

Link Posted: 3/25/2012 11:55:04 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Take our price of gas sans the fed/state tax, and now apply their taxes

Link Posted: 3/25/2012 12:19:32 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

$1600+ an ounce seems like a 'fair' price

'Trust us it's really pure gold & we guarantee it', says the Gold-bug

...so what happens to the price of OUR 'hedge against inflation' when people realize they are underwater on their Gold investments?; They overpaid

Link Posted: 3/25/2012 12:37:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
35th.  

Link Posted: 3/25/2012 12:44:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:

...so what happens to the price of OUR 'hedge against inflation' when people realize they are underwater on their Gold investments?; They overpaid

I don't know how legitimate the tungsten gold bar issue is, but I've been hearing tidbits about it for at least 5 years.  

I WILL point out that in virtually every major event... really as far back as most of us can remember (Japan's tsunami-induced nuclear meltdown(s); the beginnings of the 2008 financial melt-down; The Greece risk, the Euro financial melt-down saga, Katrina, Chernobyl, etc and the after-effect risks of all of these scenarios...  you all could think of more I'm sure) - but the point is is that our Government and virtually every other will ALWAYS downplay, deflect and/or deny the existence of ANY risk that might disrupt day-to-day consumerism and "the economy."

If there is a risk, the Average Joe will be the last guy to find out about it.  Even if these tungsten bars are commonplace now, it will be ignored, deflected, privately written off with the blessings of regulators and excused into conspiracy theory if only because the *risk* of a market meltdown with spreading contagion as hedge funds, world banks and wealthy investors all start x-raying or cutting open their previously-trusted stores of wealth.

Only after the SHTF and the losses have long since been realized, would anyone likely have a chance at determining the Truth.   Kind of like how we're still finding out details on just how "at the precipice" we were in 2008.  

Whether or not it's really an issue?   How the hell should I know?  
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 1:08:19 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know how legitimate the tungsten gold bar issue is, but I've been hearing tidbits about it for at least 5 years.  

I WILL point out that in virtually every major event... really as far back as most of us can remember (Japan's tsunami-induced nuclear meltdown(s); the beginnings of the 2008 financial melt-down; The Greece risk, the Euro financial melt-down saga, Katrina, Chernobyl, etc and the after-effect risks of all of these scenarios...  you all could think of more I'm sure) - but the point is is that our Government and virtually every other will ALWAYS downplay, deflect and/or deny the existence of ANY risk that might disrupt day-to-day consumerism and "the economy."

If there is a risk, the Average Joe will be the last guy to find out about it.  Even if these tungsten bars are commonplace now, it will be ignored, deflected, privately written off with the blessings of regulators and excused into conspiracy theory if only because the *risk* of a market meltdown with spreading contagion as hedge funds, world banks and wealthy investors all start x-raying or cutting open their previously-trusted stores of wealth.

Only after the SHTF and the losses have long since been realized, would anyone likely have a chance at determining the Truth.   Kind of like how we're still finding out details on just how "at the precipice" we were in 2008.  

Whether or not it's really an issue?   How the hell should I know?  
Before a business or Individual declares Bankruptcy, they are usually 'Stealing' money. See examples below:

a) A Company may continue to sell product, but stop paying Vendors, Rents, Loans, Employees, etc., then negotiate terms with a Bankruptcy Court

b) An Individual will run up all lines of Credit, stop paying on any Loans, Energy Bills, etc., then negotiate terms with a Bankruptcy Court...taking a 7 year penalty.

I would argue that if the Powers spent their time preparing for Controlled, Reorganizing Bankruptcies, WE would all be in a much better place Today.

The Treasury/Congress basically allowed the Bankrupt to Steal twice with their 'Bailout' Policies.

Now the enablers are just as guilty of theft; those trying to do the 'right' thing are turned into 'Crooks' by regulations, while, the Original Criminals (a minority) are 'Protected'

...and the Theft of Wealth continues

Link Posted: 3/25/2012 1:20:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I would argue that if the Powers spent their time preparing for Controlled, Reorganizing Bankruptcies, WE would all be in a much better place Today.

I hope that you're not suggesting more packaged bankruptcies like the recent GM and Chrysler ones?  Just ask the bondholders how much of a better place they're in today because of the government's involvement?  
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 1:24:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This is pretty much as I see it.
Page / 152
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top