Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 152
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 7:42:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Beyond all the headlines and talking points...

Why the upcoming trade deal is so bad for us - Lori Wallach goes into all the technical details of the Pacific Trade Deal. The G-D thing is like a time-bomb.

http://www.c-span.org/video/?325414-4/washington-journal-lori-wallach-transpacific-partnership-trade-deal
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:23:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:15:29 AM EDT
[#3]

"I’m Not Crazy, I’m Scared" - Why For One Trader, This Time It Is Different

"What is different this time? Central
banks are  driving all investment decisions, and what this implies is
that they are  in this trade so  deeply that there is no obvious or
practical exit.
... This is a dangerous  situation. The focus must return to the REAL economy; we cannot trade  our way out of past mistakes."

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:30:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:58:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

"What is different this time? Central banks are  driving all investment decisions, and what this implies is that they are  in this trade so  deeply that there is no obvious or practical exit.... This is a dangerous  situation. The focus must return to the REAL economy; we cannot trade  our way out of past mistakes."

View Quote

The sad thing is, we should never have left it.  

We should have allowed the full and painful bite of the financial crisis.   A lot of businesses and institutions would most certainly have failed.  A lot of wealthy people wouldn't be so wealthy.  A lot more people would have lost their homes, or their lenders would have been forced to renegotiate their mortgages.  A lot less of everything would have been sold.  The true cost of government would have been revealed more clearly, and government would have been forced to contract.  

But we'd most likely be in a hell of lot better shape today.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:00:54 AM EDT
[#6]

People gotta eat.  

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:16:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't know much about the Pacific trade agreement AKA the fast track deal. But would giving this president more power over economic decisions really seem like a good idea?
Maybe with President Hillary Clinton. At least she has a track record in cattle futures.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:22:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
We should have allowed the full and painful bite of the financial crisis.   A lot of businesses and institutions would most certainly have failed.  A lot of wealthy people wouldn't be so wealthy.  A lot more people would have lost their homes, or their lenders would have been forced to renegotiate their mortgages.  A lot less of everything would have been sold.  The true cost of government would have been revealed more clearly, and government would have been forced to contract.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"What is different this time? Central banks are  driving all investment decisions, and what this implies is that they are  in this trade so  deeply that there is no obvious or practical exit.... This is a dangerous  situation. The focus must return to the REAL economy; we cannot trade  our way out of past mistakes."

Reminder: When the abandonment of OUR Laws/'Real Economy' were sent into hyper-drive, then add the Patriot Act

Watch the whole thing:

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 1:12:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Reminder: When the abandonment of OUR Laws/'Real Economy' were sent into hyper-drive, then add the Patriot Act
Watch the whole thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmi8cJG0BJo

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Watch the whole thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmi8cJG0BJo

You know you can't help feeling sorry for the guy.  

He ran on an anti-neoconservative platform in 2000, and then quickly surrendered to the neocons after 9/11.  He expanded the size and scope of government, and authorized the patriot act.  But then he tried to at least reform social security, but couldn't get enough of his republican congress to go with him.  He then increased medicare cost with the prescription drug plan., and in the final months of his presidency he abandoned free-market principles to the economic central planners.  

I think he was basically an okay guy.  Definately not the sharpest guy we've ever had as president, or the best.  I put him in the same category as Hoover, or his dad.  I can't help but feel sorry for him.  He was the wrong guy put in the wrong job, at the worst possible time.  

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:32:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

He ran on an anti-neoconservative platform in 2000, and then quickly surrendered to the neocons after 9/11.  He expanded the size and scope of government, and authorized the patriot act.  But then he tried to at least reform social security, but couldn't get enough of his republican congress to go with him.  He then increased medicare cost with the prescription drug plan., and in the final months of his presidency he abandoned free-market principles to the economic central planners.  

I think he was basically an okay guy.  Definately not the sharpest guy we've ever had as president, or the best.  I put him in the same category as Hoover, or his dad.  I can't help but feel sorry for him.  He was the wrong guy put in the wrong job, at the worst possible time.  

View Quote
I can't sympathize for W because of all the reasons you listed.

He had his moments to shine, but completely blew the opportunity to unite OUR Nation.

History will show he was nothing more than 'Obama Lite', his lack of a clear strategy started the chaos in the World.

Let's hope the days of a 'Slow' acting Progressive vs a 'Fast' acting Progressive are over

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:26:35 PM EDT
[#11]
"Let's hope the days of a 'Slow' acting Progressive vs a 'Fast' acting Progressive are over"

I'll stick with Reality vs. Wishful Thinking...

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:22:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
He had his moments to shine, but completely blew the opportunity to unite OUR Nation.
History will show he was nothing more than 'Obama Lite', his lack of a clear strategy started the chaos in the World.
Let's hope the days of a 'Slow' acting Progressive vs a 'Fast' acting Progressive are over

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see NOTHING that would point to the days of progressives ending given the track we're on. It's everywhere. If there's something you see that I don't, please let me know.

I could use some good news right around now.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:54:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I see NOTHING that would point to the days of progressives ending given the track we're on. It's everywhere. If there's something you see that I don't, please let me know.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to see someone who's thinking clearly!

You won't be getting any [good news] ---so make the best of the way it is.  

As far as W is concerned, IMHO he always seemed like a decent man who loved his country.

Yet, he was just as in the dark about what the Leftists are doing to it ---as most of us are

-here.

So, he was COMPLETELY out of his league ---a mouse in a lion's den of Fifth Columnists.  

Easily manipulated.

I'll bet an even donut to $5 that he ---to this friggin DAY...

He still doesn't have a clue.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:39:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

As far as W is concerned, IMHO he always seemed like a decent man who loved his country.

Yet, he was just as in the dark about what the Leftists are doing to it ---as most of us are

-here.

So, he was COMPLETELY out of his league ---a mouse in a lion's den of Fifth Columnists.  

Easily manipulated.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-here.

Easily manipulated.

See the defining difference is that W and alllll those who are leading the right (and to a large degree the left) are in a different class, an alternate stratosphere if you will.

Come what may, higher taxes, more restrictions on the Bill of Rights, hell even a police state, they will never be affected by it. it's like they are playing with an ant farm, or a zoo. they can dictate what the rules are, and then go home to a whole other set of realities that we can not touch as the common citizen.

Sure there are wealthy amoung us, and for a small degree they have to struggle with the status quot rules, but it's the middle man, the backbone (or what used to be the back bone) of this country who has to struggle and fret over these inane rules and crushing burdens.

The one making the rules will never be touched by the same rules.........the colonists figured this out in 1775, the  French figured this out in 1789 and delt with it in the most practical way they had.......truly the most effective. Hell even the Russians had their own version in 1917 as well.

This is how the balance of power ever shifts, and nothing else will suffice save for blood and fire.

But alas nothing lasts forever.

Which is why they say the price for freedom is eternal vigilance. A quote, lost for the time being.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:01:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Good post.

Yes, W is in a whole nuther world from us Peons.

Likely as oblivious from Reality as his Dad at a cash register.  

The Repubs have become Bitch-Slap targets for the Left to ridicule.

Or Pants Down and Bend Over targets for the Demo Metrosexuals.

Like Boner.  

You may remember my mentioning...

"The ENGINEERED Destruction of the Middle Class"

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:13:07 PM EDT
[#16]
GWB is not a stupid man. Sometimes it's easier to accomplish your goals if people think you don't know what you're doing.   Politics is a wily affair.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:19:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
GWB is not a stupid man. Sometimes it's easier to accomplish your goals if people think you don't know what you're doing.   Politics is a wily affair.
View Quote

I agree he wasn't stupid, in general. He is undoubtedly a GOOD man, just naïve and gullible like the rest of us vis a vis our Leftist opponents.

He took a lot of heat, as his opponents DEMONIZED him calling him all sorts of despicable things.

As an atty who was defending me in an incident some years ago said...

"If people call you a cock sucker enough times, folks will start believing it."

In any case, whatever "wily GOALS" GWB had...

They certainly didn't pan out positive for the USA

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:48:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

In any case, whatever "wily GOALS" GWB had...

They certainly didn't pan out positive for the USA

View Quote

The Bush family is a progressive family.  His goals don't necessarily line up with ours.   He looked stupid because it accomplished his goals.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:04:09 AM EDT
[#19]
George W. Bush Bashes Obama on Middle East

TOO little TOO late

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:42:35 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

TOO little TOO late

View Quote
Bush, 'Obama is lost, but blame me for the current situation in Middle East' = Vote for Jeb...he has a better way to screw things up.

Deciding to finally get 'Political', to state the obvious, only to push for a Bush round III shows US what means more to these fraudsters & it's not OUR Nation.

It's so disappointing to watch unfold...I used to respect the man, especially after 9/11; What a blown opportunity for this Country

I know it's easy to second guess now, but this article tells US a lot about his decision making process; Ego or Country?

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:16:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:18:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Bush, 'Obama is lost, but blame me for the current situation in Middle East' = Vote for Jeb...he has a better way to screw things up.

Deciding to finally get 'Political', to state the obvious, only to push for a Bush round III shows US what means more to these fraudsters & it's not OUR Nation.
It's so disappointing to watch unfold...I used to respect the man, especially after 9/11; What a blown opportunity for this Country
I know it's easy to second guess now, but this article tells US a lot about his decision making process; Ego or Country?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TOO little TOO late

This was the Bush I voted for way back in 2000.  At that time Gore was running on the neoconservative foreign policy of Clinton administration.  Remember neoconservatives are more like progressives, just on an international scale.  They believe a few smart people in government should determine "the right" course of action, and manipulate others, to do what's best.  Instead of just protecting individual freedom, they favor "central planning"...using violence of course.  Progressives always believe in using violence and coercion to get things done.  To them force is good, force is right.

He wasn't my first choice, I actually voted for Forbes in the primary.  Not because I thought he was a great option, but because he was focused.  He wanted to restructure the tax system, which I think is a back door way to control the beast of government.  But when Bush won, being a "good Republican" I of course fell inline.  But back then I was firmly in the camp of voting for the lesser evil.  

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:51:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Venezuela pawned a large amount of gold with Citibank today.  Interesting.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102623775

Gold surges: World's 'biggest pawnbroker' makes deal
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 5:44:09 AM EDT
[#24]

Negative interest rates put world on course for biggest mass default in history

Here’s an astonishing statistic; more than 30pc of all government debt in the eurozone – around €2 trillion of securities in total – is trading on a negative interest rate.

According to investment bank Jefferies, some 70pc of all German bunds now trade on a negative yield. In France, it's 50pc, and even in Spain, which was widely thought insolvent only a few years ago, it's 17pc.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:07:36 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Here’s an astonishing statistic; more than 30pc of all government debt in the eurozone – around €2 trillion of securities in total – is trading on a negative interest rate.

According to investment bank Jefferies, some 70pc of all German bunds now trade on a negative yield. In France, it's 50pc, and even in Spain, which was widely thought insolvent only a few years ago, it's 17pc.

Very interesting read:

..."What makes today’s negative interest rate environment so worrying is
this; to the extent that demand is growing at all in the world economy,
it seems again to be almost entirely dependent on rising levels of debt.
The financial crisis was meant to have exploded the credit bubble once
and for all, but there's very little sign of it. Rising public
indebtedness has taken over where households and companies left off. And
in terms of wider credit expansion, emerging markets have simply
replaced Western ones. The wake-up call of the financial crisis has gone
largely unheeded."
..."The flip side of the cheap money story is soaring asset prices. The
bond market bubble is just the half of it; since most other assets are
priced relative to bonds, just about everything else has been going up
as well. Eventually, there will be a massive correction, in which
creditors will suffer sickening losses.  Nobody can tell you when
that moment will arrive. We live in an "extend and pretend” world in
which economies pathetically fight between themselves for any scraps of
demand. One burst of money printing is met by another in an ultimately
futile, zero-sum game of competitive currency devaluation."
..."Both Keynsian and monetary economics seem to be in some kind of end game. What comes next is anyone’s guess."

eta

How Will Greece Default? Let Us Count The Ways

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:53:44 PM EDT
[#26]
http://www.computerworld.com/article/2915904/it-outsourcing/fury-rises-at-disney-over-use-of-foreign-workers.html

What are we going to do?  I was recently laid off from a large company in ##### (don't want retaliation), I was lucky enough to grab 1 of 50 jobs out of 1000+ that were eliminated and I now work for an Indian company.  Less than 5% of this North American Branch of this company is North American of any stripe, they as a rule of racial discrimination only hire Indians whenever possible.  I will not be promoted and I will likely be let go in a year or so.

Most of the people I worked with still do not have jobs.  Disney is doing the exact same thing and for those of you that blow this off this is the handwriting on the wall we are done as a country and we are being sold to new masters.

I am calling my congressman and senators tomorrow I expect no response or any level of help or give a shits....

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:54:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:29:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Years ago I had someone scoff at my tale of woe in regards to everything going to China.

Years before that, his father was in the shoe industry when Italy decided they'd be making shoes, and then did.  His dad said no one came to America's shoe making aid, no one.

Of course now we all think shoes have been and always were an Italy thing.  Nope.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.computerworld.com/article/2915904/it-outsourcing/fury-rises-at-disney-over-use-of-foreign-workers.html

What are we going to do?  I was recently laid off from a large company in ##### (don't want retaliation), I was lucky enough to grab 1 of 50 jobs out of 1000+ that were eliminated and I now work for an Indian company.  Less than 5% of this North American Branch of this company is North American of any stripe, they as a rule of racial discrimination only hire Indians whenever possible.  I will not be promoted and I will likely be let go in a year or so.

Most of the people I worked with still do not have jobs.  Disney is doing the exact same thing and for those of you that blow this off this is the handwriting on the wall we are done as a country and we are being sold to new masters.

I am calling my congressman and senators tomorrow I expect no response or any level of help or give a shits....

Years ago I had someone scoff at my tale of woe in regards to everything going to China.

Years before that, his father was in the shoe industry when Italy decided they'd be making shoes, and then did.  His dad said no one came to America's shoe making aid, no one.

Of course now we all think shoes have been and always were an Italy thing.  Nope.

Here's the hard, and often unpleasant truth.  The U.S. still makes a lot of the world's goods, ...value wise.   That doesn't mean we make a lot of "volume" items, although we do turn out a lot of volume as well.   It's unfortunate, but a lot of manufactured goods don't take a lot of manufacturing employees, and with each passing year it takes fewer and fewer employees.  

That trend has been in place since the peak of manufacturing employment in WWII.  The 1950's were probably a golden era since most of the rest of the world was still trying to recover from WWII.  We didn't have our industrial base blown to hell.  But employment in that sector has been in decline since.  

Because of automation, employment will NEVER recover.  We might as well be lamenting all the lost "hunting jobs", or all the lost "agricultural jobs".   Even IF the U.S. were to erect draconian trade barriers in an effort to increase domestic manufacturing employment, it would barely move the needle.  That sector will never again be a major employer, no matter what artificial barriers we put in place.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:37:01 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Here's the hard, and often unpleasant truth.  The U.S. still makes a lot of the world's goods, ...value wise.   That doesn't mean we make a lot of "volume" items, although we do turn out a lot of volume as well.   It's unfortunate, but a lot of manufactured goods don't take a lot of manufacturing employees, and with each passing year it takes fewer and fewer employees.  

That trend has been in place since the peak of manufacturing employment in WWII.  The 1950's were probably a golden era since most of the rest of the world was still trying to recover from WWII.  We didn't have our industrial base blown to hell.  But employment in that sector has been in decline since.  

Because of automation, employment will NEVER recover.  We might as well be lamenting all the lost "hunting jobs", or all the lost "agricultural jobs".   Even IF the U.S. were to erect draconian trade barriers in an effort to increase domestic manufacturing employment, it would barely move the needle.  That sector will never again be a major employer, no matter what artificial barriers we put in place.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just completed a simple IT automation project that eliminated two full time resources.  The two people who were doing the work are now not needed and are scrambling to find something else internally or they will be looking for new jobs.  Most of my work involves automation and eliminating positions.  I guess the last automation task I'll complete someday is eliminating my own job.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:25:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I just completed a simple IT automation project that eliminated two full time resources.  The two people who were doing the work are now not needed and are scrambling to find something else internally or they will be looking for new jobs.  Most of my work involves automation and eliminating positions.  I guess the last automation task I'll complete someday is eliminating my own job.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mechatronics, which is a cross discipline of mechanical, electrical engineering, and computer programing, is the profession to be in, that and straight up computer programing.  

I imagine over the next decade or so, the transportation industry which is right now the largest employment sector will take some massive hits due to automation.  Along with that sector, call centers, and customer service help desks will also be taking a hit.  

If you're job is a process, it's not safe, or secure.  

On the flip side those in professions like yours will be the last to go.  But I would imagine you've got several more decades before machines will be creating machine code, or designing automated systems.

I really wonder what employment will look like after mid-century.   There won't be a lot agriculture, manufacturing, retail, construction, customer service, or logistics and transportation jobs that's for sure.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:21:23 PM EDT
[#31]
First I was amazed by negative bank deposit rate a few years back in Europe. You paid banks interest to keep your money. A few years later European bonds is in the negative. Negative bank deposit rate was consider almost impossible. Negative bonds rate view by all as a magical unicorn farting rainbow. Here we are the impossible magical unicorn farting rainbow.  When it explode and it will because the bond bubble is so high only a fool would not short it. It will be a glorious explosion. The end of the EU and Euro.

https://www.google.com/search?q=negative+bond+rate&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb#q=negative+bond+rate&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=fflb&tbm=nws&tbs=qdr:w
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:01:38 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Mechatronics, which is a cross discipline of mechanical, electrical engineering, and computer programing, is the profession to be in, that and straight up computer programing.  

I imagine over the next decade or so, the transportation industry which is right now the largest employment sector will take some massive hits due to automation.  Along with that sector, call centers, and customer service help desks will also be taking a hit.  

On the flip side those in professions like yours will be the last to go.  But I would imagine you've got several more decades before machines will be creating machine code, or designing automated systems.

I really wonder what employment will look like after mid-century.   There won't be a lot agriculture, manufacturing, retail, construction, customer service, or logistics and transportation jobs that's for sure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just gave a presentation on Virtual Agents - which are the future of call centers and customer service.  This agents will have access to massive amounts of data - historical company data, social media, knowledge bases and will be available through multi-channels including the web, voice, text, social media, etc.

Using advanced speech recognition and parsing they will handle questions that are phrased in multiple formats and are not pre-programmed.  They will capture EVERY question asked and using big data technologies will be able to search for answers to almost any question.  No human can match a Virtual Agent as they can parse millions of data points and learns as it gathers more and more data.

I've called it Siri meets Watson - and here is just one prediction:

"By 2018 half of all consumers will interact with services based on cognitive computing on a regular basis.” - IDC

So for everyone who got upset about call centers being outsourced to India - don't worry as they are about to be outsourced themselves.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:02:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
So for everyone who got upset about call centers being outsourced to India - don't worry as they are about to be outsourced themselves.
View Quote

Part of my job is forecasting workload demand for an energy company's customer contact group.  When Big Blue won the Jeopardy match against the best human duo, I went to the VP's and said the biggest cost factor is going to shrink very soon.  The IVR already handles ~55%.  

Our calls are an order of magnitude+ more complicated than hotel's or airline's, but we could dump 30% pretty fast.  Humans will be needed to handle escalations, and all the regulatory changes, and update the database, but it will happen.  For Popeil's stuff, or Ginsu steak knives, it is already here.

At a fully loaded SFTE cost of ~$40k/yr, or outsource (Mexico) cost of ~$22/hr (again, fully loaded) a supercomputer or three start to look very attractive.  Machine learning is a whole new ball of wax, not AI, but thru brute force, very effective.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:06:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

[Stanley from 'The Office']  I feel like I am working in my own coffin.  [\Stanley from 'The Office']
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:23:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
First I was amazed by negative bank deposit rate a few years back in Europe. You paid banks interest to keep your money. A few years later European bonds is in the negative. Negative bank deposit rate was consider almost impossible. Negative bonds rate view by all as a magical unicorn farting rainbow. Here we are the impossible magical unicorn farting rainbow.  When it explode and it will because the bond bubble is so high only a fool would not short it. It will be a glorious explosion. The end of the EU and Euro.

https://www.google.com/search?q=negative+bond+rate&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb#q=negative+bond+rate&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=fflb&tbm=nws&tbs=qdr:w
View Quote

I don't know why you were surprised.  Hell, after the Japanese had their market blow up in 89' followed by their own financial and banking crisis based on bad real estate loans they did the same thing we're doing now.   Their economy has been in the doldrums for over 25 years.  

They've had negative real interest rates on several occasions.  It never helped get their economy going.

So, we are all now doing what they did ...with similar results. (insanity)   And everyone is acting surprised.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:32:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. How fucking hard is it to support liberty over bigger government? FFS

[ETA] But Progressives are not going anywhere. Quite the opposite, they are growing in number and influence. The time will eventually come when hard choices face everyone.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:39:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I just gave a presentation on Virtual Agents - which are the future of call centers and customer service.  This agents will have access to massive amounts of data - historical company data, social media, knowledge bases and will be available through multi-channels including the web, voice, text, social media, etc.

Using advanced speech recognition and parsing they will handle questions that are phrased in multiple formats and are not pre-programmed.  They will capture EVERY question asked and using big data technologies will be able to search for answers to almost any question.  No human can match a Virtual Agent as they can parse millions of data points and learns as it gathers more and more data.

I've called it Siri meets Watson - and here is just one prediction:

"By 2018 half of all consumers will interact with services based on cognitive computing on a regular basis.” - IDC

View Quote

I don't think it will end with "call centers".  I think smart systems will be better then humans at handling questions, analyzing data, and giving better advice in everything from accounting and financial services, to health and medical care.  

The kind of systems you're describing will eventually replace many "professions" we have today.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:12:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I don't think it will end with "call centers".  I think smart systems will be better then humans at handling questions, analyzing data, and giving better advice in everything from accounting and financial services, to health and medical care.  
The kind of systems you're describing will eventually replace many "professions" we have today.  
View Quote

Back in the late 80's a friend of mind had gotten together with a group of AI specialists and started their own company.  They got contracts to create "Expert Systems" for medical diagnosis, legal precedent, and even field combat operations.  It all sucked, but they got paid.  Their IPO was ~'98 and he retired a multi-millionaire hours afterwards.  That said, what they did as a first iteration is probably mature enough in some fields (medical, not grunt) to be standard issue.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:15:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
This. How fucking hard is it to support liberty over bigger government? FFS
View Quote

The right wing elite are about supporting welfare for the rich and corporations.  Can't do that with free market capitalism.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:17:22 PM EDT
[#40]
OdT was a founder WRT the YASBYBIC threads.  He has not logged in since November of '13.  Anyone know where he is?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:01:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:31:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
OdT was a founder WRT the YASBYBIC threads.  He has not logged in since November of '13.  Anyone know where he is?
View Quote

What does WRT mean?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:15:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Very interesting read:
..."What makes today’s negative interest rate environment so worrying is this; to the extent that demand is growing at all in the world economy, it seems again to be almost entirely dependent on rising levels of debt. The financial crisis was meant to have exploded the credit bubble once and for all, but there's very little sign of it. Rising public indebtedness has taken over where households and companies left off. And in terms of wider credit expansion, emerging markets have simply replaced Western ones. The wake-up call of the financial crisis has gone largely unheeded."

..."The flip side of the cheap money story is soaring asset prices. The bond market bubble is just the half of it; since most other assets are priced relative to bonds, just about everything else has been going up as well. Eventually, there will be a massive correction, in which creditors will suffer sickening losses.  Nobody can tell you when that moment will arrive. We live in an "extend and pretend” world in which economies pathetically fight between themselves for any scraps of demand. One burst of money printing is met by another in an ultimately futile, zero-sum game of competitive currency devaluation."

..."Both Keynsian and monetary economics seem to be in some kind of end game. What comes next is anyone’s guess."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very interesting read:
..."What makes today’s negative interest rate environment so worrying is this; to the extent that demand is growing at all in the world economy, it seems again to be almost entirely dependent on rising levels of debt. The financial crisis was meant to have exploded the credit bubble once and for all, but there's very little sign of it. Rising public indebtedness has taken over where households and companies left off. And in terms of wider credit expansion, emerging markets have simply replaced Western ones. The wake-up call of the financial crisis has gone largely unheeded."

..."The flip side of the cheap money story is soaring asset prices. The bond market bubble is just the half of it; since most other assets are priced relative to bonds, just about everything else has been going up as well. Eventually, there will be a massive correction, in which creditors will suffer sickening losses.  Nobody can tell you when that moment will arrive. We live in an "extend and pretend” world in which economies pathetically fight between themselves for any scraps of demand. One burst of money printing is met by another in an ultimately futile, zero-sum game of competitive currency devaluation."

Negative interest rates Sound ominous, of course.   They go against our intuitive sense of what our monetary system is.      However,  why are they a harbinger of the collapse?       IOW, what specific mechanism can bring about the defaults?    

I'm not doubting, I want to learn more about it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:29:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Negative interest rates are used to drive money out of savings and force people to spend. The theory is you'll force yourself to go out and buy crap you don't need or want rather then lose a percentage of it in a bank for the service of them holding the money for you. It's a head fake.

I don't know if it signals an imminent collapse or not, but it signals desperation of the decision makers. This was only talked about as rumor a few years ago. I'm hearing about it in more and more in different places today.

Of course, with all the stupid crap they do, there will be unintended consequences of another stupid policy, Gawd only knows what, and they're ll have to do something even stupider with more unintended consequences. My guess is this will drive money overseas away (criminally if need be) from the country that decides to institute negative interest rates. Just a guess. People always work in their own pocket.

With shadowstats telling us how they're screwing with the numbers to make them look good plus economic "theories" like this, things definitely aren't as rosy as they paint them. I honestly think TPTB are scared shitless, but keeping a poker face to the extent they can.

WRT - "with respect to"
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:34:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Negative interest rates are used to drive money out of savings and force people to spend. The theory is you'll force yourself to go out and buy crap you don't need or want rather then lose a percentage of it in a bank for the service of them holding the money for you. It's a head fake.

I don't know if it signals an imminent collapse or not, but it signals desperation of the decision makers. This was only talked about as rumor a few years ago. I'm hearing about it in more and more in different places today.

With shadowstats telling us how they're screwing with the numbers to make them look good plus economic "theories" like this, things definitely aren't as rosy as they paint them. I honestly think TPTB are scared shitless, but keeping a poker face to the extent they can.

WRT - "with respect to"
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:34:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Negative interest rates Sound ominous, of course.   They go against our intuitive sense of what our monetary system is.      However,  why are they a harbinger of the collapse?       IOW, what specific mechanism can bring about the defaults?    

View Quote

One way that monetary systems collapse is by loss of faith in the currency. We are most familiar with this occurring via runaway inflation. People spend the currency as fast as possible to buy "goods" because holding money means losing it to inflation.

Imagine if you face the same loss of value but it is caused by negative interest. You are now left with saving money but losing value or you spend it to buy something. The reserve banks want you to spend and not save, their Keynesian logic says this will jump start the economy. It may just cause a new version of inflation. Will it lead to a loss of faith in the currency? Who knows, these are uncharted waters with no historic records to provide insight.
For negative interests rates to 'work' there will need to be strong capitol controls preventing people from going to cash.

Just my 2 cents
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:45:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Interesting. I didn't think about the capital controls angle until you mentioned it, but over the last couple of weeks, there have been people in the media tormenting us about banning cash.

SOURCE 1

SOURCE 2      http://www.acting-man.com/?p=36914

SOURCE 3

SOURCE 4
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:39:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:57:07 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Very interesting read:

Negative Interest Rate Policy (NIRP) Definition

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:00:50 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Of course, with all the stupid crap they do, there will be unintended consequences of another stupid policy, Gawd only knows what, and they're ll have to do something even stupider with more unintended consequences. My guess is this will drive money overseas away (criminally if need be) from the country that decides to institute negative interest rates. Just a guess. People always work in their own pocket.

WRT - "with respect to"
View Quote

Deflation Definition

Page / 152
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top