Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2012 5:19:42 AM EDT
Most if not all of the grapes sold in our local stores are "products of Chile". From what I have seen on Travel Channel, Chile is a fairly modern country,not some 3rd world hellhole paying slave workers 2 cents a day. So......How on earth can it be economically viable to ship in fruits like grapes (which I presume need to be refrigerated & shipped quickly to avoid spoiling) from ANOTHER CONTINENT rather than shipping them in from California, Texas or Florida??
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 5:23:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 5:23:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I dunno but I'm eating some oranges from Jerusalem and they're fucking delicious.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 5:26:04 AM EDT
[#3]
"Because it's all part of the syndicate. And everybody has a share."
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 5:28:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Fresh produce used to be seasonal, now you can get just about anything at anytime. The growing seasons in the southern hemisphere are opposite from ours.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 5:28:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 5:30:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Because grapes are not grown in TX. FL or CA this time year.

Northern hemisphere/Southern hemisphere, how does that work?!
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 5:40:06 AM EDT
[#7]
And they are good grapes Canada has great peaches
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 5:40:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Very well-played

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 5:44:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Mexican grapes won't start till May and then it moves to the Cochella Valley area of CA.

Chile provides all of your stone fruit and grapes from about mid Dec till Mexico starts harvesting.

Thanks, I just assumed they could plant in rotation and get a continuous crop.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 6:06:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Southern hemisphere has it's seasons opposite of ours. It is summer, going into fall down there now. They have 4 seasons the same as us.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 6:13:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 6:14:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Mexican grapes won't start till May and then it moves to the Cochella Valley area of CA.

Chile provides all of your stone fruit and grapes from about mid Dec till Mexico starts harvesting.

Yep, grapes aren't a year round thing OP.

Link Posted: 3/24/2012 6:16:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chile pretty much looks just like CA.

Without all the libtard assholes.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 6:30:28 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Grapes are not planted like that. The vines live for many years.

Link Posted: 3/24/2012 6:34:41 AM EDT
[#15]
There use to be a pizza shop next to our store. When I was taking the trash out one day I noticed an empty box in the dumpster....

MUSHROOMS Product of China

No how the hell can it be cheaper to ship mushrooms all the way from China to Bum-Fuk Kansas?
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 6:40:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 6:56:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
There use to be a pizza shop next to our store. When I was taking the trash out one day I noticed an empty box in the dumpster....

No how the hell can it be cheaper to ship mushrooms all the way from China to Bum-Fuk Kansas?

I'm not aware of China shipping mushrooms into the US unless it is some type of variety not grown here.

Plenty of canned 'schrooms from China where I shop.  I really have to look to find American produced mushrooms, except when buying fresh.

Link Posted: 3/24/2012 7:01:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 7:03:09 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not aware of China shipping mushrooms into the US unless it is some type of variety not grown here.

Plenty of canned 'schrooms from China where I shop.  I really have to look to find American produced mushrooms, except when buying fresh.

I didn't think about canned. Was thinking fresh.

I would imagine these were canned, no reason for a pizza place to spend the extra money for fresh

Link Posted: 3/24/2012 7:04:13 AM EDT
[#20]

Are the hamburger patties at McDonalds in Wal Mart from China?

Link Posted: 3/24/2012 7:04:52 AM EDT
[#21]
My butcher informed me the other day that most catfish sold in the US now comes from China - I still can't figure out how that one's economical.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 7:10:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you do not get paid to think.....

Link Posted: 3/24/2012 7:11:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My butcher informed me the other day that most catfish sold in the US now comes from China - I still can't figure out how that one's economical.

noodling is labor intense
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 7:16:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Last time I went to South America, I brought back a couple bottles of Concha y Toro wine from Chile.  Cheapest I could find it there was about $14.  Didn't think I'd be able to find it here.  So one day I'm in Walgreens, and what do I see?  Magnums of the same wine for $8.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 7:16:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

hahaha Mr.Smarty Pants.

Link Posted: 3/24/2012 7:19:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Do they put beans in their chili in Chile, or is Chile a "no beans in chili" country?

Well you know SOMEONE had to ask, right?

Link Posted: 3/24/2012 7:21:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

With Magnets
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 7:23:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Last time I went to South America, I brought back a couple bottles of Concha y Toro wine from Chile.  Cheapest I could find it there was about $14.  Didn't think I'd be able to find it here.  So one day I'm in Walgreens, and what do I see?  Magnums of the same wine for $8.
Much of the merchandise is 'export subsidized." Once I bought an AM/FM radio in Japan, it was $150, in the US it was $120. Much the same for Apple's Iphone. There is a small cottage industry where the Chinese "re-import" that into their own country for a cheaper price to sell to their countryman, because they are export subsidized.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 7:27:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Much of the merchandise is 'export subsidized." Once I bought an AM/FM in Japan, it was $150, in the US it was $120. Much the same for Apple's Iphone. There is a small cottage industry where the Chinese "re-import" that into their own for a cheaper price to sell to their countryman, because they are export subsidized.

That used to the same with Japan with their consumer electronics –– you would see Japanese people heading back to Japan from Hawaii and each family member would have a brand new, very expensive Japanese SLR around their necks.  You could easily pay for a vacation that way.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 7:32:57 AM EDT
[#30]
I looked at a package of "store brand" garlic powder, product of China. How is it we cant make garlic powder cheaper than importing it?
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 7:34:00 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Nately died a wealthy man, Yossarian. He had over sixty shares in the syndicate.

What difference does that make? He's dead.

Then his family will get it.

He didn't have time to have a family.

Then his parents will get it.

They don't need it, they're rich.

Then they'll understand.

Link Posted: 3/24/2012 7:37:12 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Do they put beans in their chili in Chile, or is Chile a "no beans in chili" country?

Well you know SOMEONE had to ask, right?

No beans, but they stir the chili counter-clockwise (anti-clockwise for our British viewers)

Link Posted: 3/24/2012 7:37:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I looked at a package of "store brand" garlic powder, product of China. How is it we cant make garlic powder cheaper than importing it?

Dumping, in the case of garlic.  The Chinese set up a shell company (Long Dong Global Garlic Exporters) and export garlic farmed by people making almost nothing, using human waste as fertilizer and using pesticides that have been banned in the US for 40 years, and when they get discovered, they close up shop and reopen the next day with the same stock (as Big Wang Global Garlic Exporters) and only lose the garlic that was on the dock when it was seized.  They have been doing this for about 20 years and neither Clinton nor Bush did anything (I can't really single out Obama since he has continued almost all of Bush's policies, including the ones where Bush's policy was "sit around, thumb in ass").  ALWAYS check the garlic for country of origin.  This isn't an issue of finding trace amounts of pesticide –– it's enough to make children sick.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 7:37:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Having grown up on the coast we were pleased to learn a local grocery store was putting in a seafood section.

They posted a COO sign and 90% of the crap was from China or some other Asian joint.

Every now and then I'll get some Mississippi pond raised cats and fry them up. Special occasions I'll have Billy's Seafood down in Baldwin County Fed Ex some goodies.

If I ever move back down south the sea creatures better LOOK OUT!

Link Posted: 3/24/2012 7:46:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Yesterday, I bought fresh Swordfish, from New Zealand. $4.99 /lb

The American Swordfish next to it was $8.99 /lb

Somethings wrong.

Link Posted: 3/24/2012 8:27:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Seasons how do they work?

Link Posted: 3/24/2012 8:39:21 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Better start watching the frozen vegetables as well. So far I have run across frozen broccoli, peas and carrots from China. I look at everything I buy now. Saw some pickles from India the other day. I really don't see how they can make a profit on a $2 bag of frozen broccoli, I assume them have to freeze it over there and ship it refrigerated all the way over to here.

Link Posted: 3/24/2012 8:39:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 8:42:07 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would imagine these were canned, no reason for a pizza place to spend the extra money for fresh  

My local pizza joint offers a choice of fresh or canned mushrooms.

Link Posted: 3/24/2012 8:43:03 AM EDT
[#40]
It ain't about price it's about season. Without South American produce, we wouldn't have grapes half the year.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 8:45:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 9:13:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Magnets.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 9:18:56 AM EDT
[#43]
I spent a couple of years in Chile. Lots of it is still pretty third-worldish. Grapes were cheap as dirt there (watermelons too), but they all had seeds because the seedless ones would get shipped to America for a better profit.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 9:20:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 9:52:33 AM EDT
[#45]
How another country can grow and ship produce here cheaper than we can grow ?  Farm land doesn't cost 4-5K an acre in countries mentioned. They don't have EPA trying to put a cap on cattle farts or turning off water to one of the richest valleys in the world for growing produce. Just to save some tad poles. I damn well bet China doesn't have welfare programs for the rich. ie. Set Aside acres USDA pays a farmer not to grow crop.

Then there's dairy subsidies. I knew we were fucked as a nation in 08 after seeing an Obama sign in 300 acre field of corn stubble in mid-western Nebraska.

Obama gonna take care of them too.

I've seen farm land sell to some rich, slick city boy who makes a sizable down payment on land. Then makes payments with money received from Uncle Sam, calling the place his "hunting retreat". Inviting his fat cat friends to hunt with him whenever the urge comes to mind. Compliments of you and I. Ag subsidies and price controls tip the balance to corporations. Leaving family farm at peril.

My parents generation was the last to have affordable acreage available.

Nowadays it's a bitch hanging onto large tract of land that's paid for, for all the taxes due from death and inheritance tax.

I've got no problem watching meat and produce we grow imported here. Flip side of that coin is beef prices on the hoof are at all time highs. It's export sustaining the high pricing at market.

It will bust and the back side this time will make 08 look like a good time. Last time it was mortgage debt crisis. Next time it's gonna be farm debt crisis.

Uh, wait. I said that before in GD OP. One of them fat cat, city slicker types told me I didn't know what the fuck I was talking about.

Disregard.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 9:56:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
How another country grow and ship produce here cheaper than we can grow...  Farm land doesn't cost 4-5K in countries mentioned. They don't have EPA trying to put a cap on cattle farts or turning off water to one of the richest valleys in the world to grow produce to save some tad poles. I damn well bet China doesn't have welfare programs for the rich. ie. Set Aside acres USDA pays a farmer not to grow crop.

Then there's dairy subsidies. I knew we were fucked as a nation in 08 after seeing an Obama sign in 300 acre field of corn stubble in mid-western Nebraska.

Obama gonna take care of them too.

I've seen farm land sell to some rich, slick city boy who makes a sizable down payment on land. Then makes payments with money received from Uncle Sam, calling the place his "hunting retreat". Inviting his fat cat friends to hunt with him whenever the urge comes to mind. Compliments of you and I. Ag subsidies and price controls tip the balance to corporations. Leaving family farm at peril.

My parents generation was the last to have affordable acreage available.

Nowadays it's a bitch to hang onto large tract of land that's paid for, for all the taxes due from death and inheritance tax.

I've got no problem watching meat and produce we grow imported here. Flip side of that coin is beef prices on the hoof are at all time highs. It's export sustaining the high pricing at market.

It will bust and the back side this time will make 08 look like a good time. Last time it was mortgage debt crisis. Next time it's gonna be farm debt crisis.

Uh, wait. I said that before in GD OP. One of them fat cat, city slicker types told me I didn't know what the fuck I was talking about.

Disregard.

This is a good point.  A lot of the people in my family hanging onto farmland either want what no one else does (dry land wheat around Spokane) or have oil and has revenues to even out the cash flow (rice in Louisiana).  Just normal farming is a hell of lot harder than it should be.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 10:11:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Much of the merchandise is 'export subsidized." Once I bought an AM/FM radio in Japan, it was $150, in the US it was $120. Much the same for Apple's Iphone. There is a small cottage industry where the Chinese "re-import" that into their own country for a cheaper price to sell to their countryman, because they are export subsidized.

No, they tax the shit out of it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 10:24:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Growing seasons.

How the hell do they work?
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 10:49:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I dunno but I'm eating some oranges from Jerusalem and they're fucking delicious.

Theres the answer, blame it on the joooos.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top