Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/22/2012 7:51:50 AM EDT
As most of you know,  I bought a Breda made Garand receiver.   I bought it for $60 from a company in Vancouver.   Here it is:

Anyway, I have been chasing down Italian-made Garand parts and in the very near future, I will have a spaghetti Garand.  I have a bolt and a gas cylinder and more parts will follow.   And in passing, I'd like to suggest to our old friend TargetTarget that perhaps he might also consider building such a rifle.  I will shortly have all the tools and manuals necessary for the build and he will be welcome to use them.

On another board, someone has a Beretta-made handguard and this is getting exciting. So stay tuned.

Fluffy

Update:  I spoke to Dean of Dean's Firearms Restorations and he will be getting me a special piece of walnut.  Stay tuned this is going to be good.
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 8:14:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Does it shoot mostacholi or rotini?

Good luck with the build.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 8:16:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Eh!  A beepidy-boopidy!
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 8:17:46 AM EDT
[#3]
If you'd done this a couple of years ago, I would have given you my Breda trigger housing and my Beretta buttplate. They came on my CMP Dane, I replaced them with USGI ones...
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 8:18:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
As most of you know,  I bought a Breda made Garand receiver.   I bought it for $60 from a company in Vancouver.   Here it is:

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu138/Fluffy9lives/424.jpg

Anyway, I have been chasing down Italian-made Garand parts and in the very near future, I will have a spaghetti Garand.  I have a bolt and a gas cylinder and more parts will follow.   And in passing, I'd like to suggest to our old friend TargetTarget that perhaps he might also consider building such a rifle.  I will shortly have all the tools and manuals necessary for the build and he will be welcome to use them.

On another board, someone has a Beretta-made handguard and this is getting exciting. So stay tuned.

Fluffy

$60? Sounds like a real deal.  How hard is it to find parts?  Are they compatible with US parts?

Now, don't forget to post pics when its done, capisce?

Link Posted: 3/22/2012 8:18:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I sold one of those a couple of years ago for $375, I think it was.

It would just cost too much to build here in the US unless money was no barrier.
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 8:21:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Very nice looking receiver-it still has rifle grease or cosmoline on it, so I assume this is an um-boiled receiver.  

Quite a project to undertake.  Have you tried Culver's Shooting Page WTB / WTS forum for the Italian parts you need?  I've had excellent luck there.
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 8:54:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I remember lusting after a BM-59 Alpini as a kid.  [slight hijack]
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 8:57:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fluffy

$60? Sounds like a real deal.  How hard is it to find parts?  Are they compatible with US parts?

Now, don't forget to post pics when its done, capisce?

http://media.screened.com/uploads/0/4460/325624-images_large.jpg

The Italian Garands were built on Winchester's tooling.  Hence Italian parts are 100% compatible with USGI parts.  Marstar has a number of parts here in Canada and I will legally import the rest.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 8:59:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Fluffy

Why Italian parts? you can just buy from US.
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 9:06:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Eh!  A beepidy-boopidy!

LMFAO!
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 9:07:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fluffy

The receiver was made in Italy.  I have a bolt that was made in Italy.  I have a gas cylinder that was made in Italy.  I have also tracked down a stock that was made in Italy and a trigger assembly that was made in Italy.

I want the entire gun to be assembled using Italian parts.  I don't want my rifle to be the product of a mixed marriage.

I will track down all the Italian parts if it takes me the rest of my life.

Link Posted: 3/22/2012 9:10:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fluffy

The receiver was made in Italy.  I have a bolt that was made in Italy.  I have a gas cylinder that was made in Italy.  I have also tracked down a stock that was made in Italy and a trigger assembly that was made in Italy.

I want the entire gun to be assembled using Italian parts.  I don't want my rifle to be the product of a mixed marriage.

I will track down all the Italian parts if it takes me the rest of my life.

Racist!  Italian-American wommenz are hot! Give it a whirl!

Link Posted: 3/22/2012 9:11:13 AM EDT
[#13]
I have an Italian BMP bolt on my Garand. Maybe we can work out a trade?
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 9:12:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I already have an Italian bolt.  But I am looking for other parts.  Do you have any other Breda or Beretta parts on your rifle?  

Take a look and don't be a schnook.  I am prepared to reward you handsomely if you have the right parts.

Fluffy.

P.S.  Don't be a schmoe.

Link Posted: 3/22/2012 9:14:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I already have an Italian bolt.  But I am looking for other parts.  Do you have any other Breda or Beretta parts on your rifle?  

Take a look and don't be a schnook.  I am prepared to reward you handsomely if you have the right parts.

Fluffy.

P.S.  Don't be a schmoe.

I think I do, but I'll have to look. I think maybe the Op rod and a few other parts may be. "Don't be a schmoe"?
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 9:16:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fluffy.

P.S.  Don't be a schmoe.

I think I do, but I'll have to look. I think maybe the Op rod and a few other parts may be. "Don't be a schmoe"?

If you have a Breda or Beretta operating rod in good shape, I will replace it with the operating rod of your choice.

ammogarand.com has Springfield Armory operating rods in excellent condition.  These are from the 1950s.  Here's the description:

"Post WWII 50's Era M1 Garand Operating Rod, USGI Springfield Production, marked "6535382 SA" and in excellent condition with some use wear. The 65 series OpRods are appropriate for rifles produced 1952 til end of production. One pictured available. Rod has Excellent finish, strong tab and piston mics at .526."

They sell for about $150 bucks.  So how about a Breda or Beretta operating rod for a 50s Springfield Armory?

Link Posted: 3/22/2012 9:31:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Yep,  I too at one time had Breda and Berretta rear sights and a hammer.
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 9:33:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yep,  I too at one time had Breda and Berretta rear sights and a hammer.

Where are they now?

Link Posted: 3/22/2012 9:34:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fluffy.

P.S.  Don't be a schmoe.

If you have a Breda or Beretta operating rod in good shape, I will replace it with the operating rod of your choice.

ammogarand.com has Springfield Armory operating rods in excellent condition.  These are from the 1950s.  Here's the description:

"Post WWII 50's Era M1 Garand Operating Rod, USGI Springfield Production, marked "6535382 SA" and in excellent condition with some use wear. The 65 series OpRods are appropriate for rifles produced 1952 til end of production. One pictured available. Rod has Excellent finish, strong tab and piston mics at .526."

They sell for about $150 bucks.  So how about a Breda or Beretta operating rod for a 50s Springfield Armory?

Let me look for sure at what's on it before I guarantee you parts. I only remember the bolt is for certain Italian. I *think* the op rod is, but not 100% on that. I'll get back to this thread.
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 9:34:26 AM EDT
[#20]
I think I still have a handful of Italian parts, I'll look through my spar parts box and see what's there.
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 9:35:10 AM EDT
[#21]
clicked for dinner pic
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 9:35:19 AM EDT
[#22]
$60!    Make it into a BM-59.
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 9:40:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
$60!    Make it into a BM-59.

It would take a lot of machining to make a BM-59.  And sad to say the BM-59 is a prohibited weapon.  

Link Posted: 3/24/2012 12:37:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Just an update:

I now have a Beretta bolt, as well as a Breda trigger group and a Breda gas cylinder.  This build is coming together.  Stay tuned and DBAS.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 1:47:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Just an update:

I now have a Beretta bolt, as well as a Breda trigger group and a Breda gas cylinder.  This build is coming together.  Stay tuned and DBAS.

Congratulations on your build.

We're running low on the Garand receivers, a guy came in the other day and bought like 15 of them.

These were all from the big Danish Garand importation from back in the late 1990s. There were Danish rebuild U.S. Garands, Italian Garands, this was the lot Mel Bishop bought part of and tried to get Stateside.

Got my Springfield `44 with a VAR Bbl from that lot.

The ones we have left have the scope mount welded to the side.

Link Posted: 4/5/2012 1:53:05 PM EDT
[#26]

A complete Garand gas cylinder assembly arrived today.  All the parts were made by Breda except for the gas plug which was made by Beretta.  I'm waiting for the bolt and trigger group to arrive and I ordered another batch of parts today.  I still need an operating rod and I ask everyone to look for a BMB, or PB operating rod.  

This build is coming together and by the end of the year my spaghetti Garand will be ready.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 1:56:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Well glad to see some Italian guns work.

These not so much.

Link Posted: 4/5/2012 2:10:55 PM EDT
[#29]
What kind of markings do the op-rods have? I just may have some extra Garand parts somewhere......
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 3:41:45 PM EDT
[#30]

Breda parts are marked BMB. And Beretta parts are marked PB.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 3:45:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

These not so much.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/55/Carcano_1869.jpg

Italian gun/guns seemed to do ok once....something about depositing books?
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 3:47:33 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

These not so much.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/55/Carcano_1869.jpg

Italian gun/guns seemed to do ok once....something about depositing books?

I heard he just went for a coke?

Link Posted: 4/5/2012 4:11:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Here are a few close ups of Italian markings on Garand parts.  On the bottom of the gas cylinder you can see BMB ( Breda Meccanica Brescia)

And here's a close up of the receiver markings:

And a final picture of my excellent Garand adventure as it is coming along.

If you look carefully, you can see BMB stamped on the side of the sight.

Link Posted: 4/5/2012 5:14:53 PM EDT
[#34]
There is a guy in Ontario who specializes in building Garands.  Anyway, here's his video.  I'm slobbering all over the keyboard.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 6:08:35 PM EDT
[#35]
I'll take a look.  I bought a bunch of parts kits back in the 90's when they were plentiful and cheap.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 6:09:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 6:31:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Eh!  A beepidy-boopidy!

LMFAO! http://www.xceedspeed.com/forums/images/smilies/rofl3.gif

same here      
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 7:08:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
There is a guy in Ontario who specializes in building Garands.  Anyway, here's his video.  I'm slobbering all over the keyboard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC5qevFB5ZQ

I've watched that guys other videos on re-barreling a garand, and all I can say is that I would NOT let him touch any of my garands.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 7:15:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Nigerian pistol grip stock FTW!
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 7:53:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've watched that guys other videos on re-barreling a garand, and all I can say is that I would NOT let him touch any of my garands.  

May I ask why?  I am a Garand neophyte with a lot to learn.  What was he doing wrong?

Link Posted: 4/5/2012 8:00:36 PM EDT
[#41]
I've got a Beretta clip latch I might be willing to part with. I think I have a Beretta follower and slide assembly as well.

Link Posted: 4/5/2012 8:05:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I've got a Beretta clip latch I might be willing to part with. I think I have a Beretta follower and slide assembly as well.  

I appreciate that, but I have these parts ordered and on the way.  I'm not sure if I'm going to get Breda or Beretta parts, but when my parts get here if necessary perhaps we could trade?

Link Posted: 4/5/2012 8:09:16 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I appreciate that, but I have these parts ordered and on the way.  I'm not sure if I'm going to get Breda or Beretta parts, but when my parts get here if necessary perhaps we could trade?

Sure.

Link Posted: 4/5/2012 10:48:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine is a Dane return and has a few Beretta parts I'd swap.

Link Posted: 4/6/2012 12:44:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

May I ask why?  I am a Garand neophyte with a lot to learn.  What was he doing wrong?

Well, for starters he says that the new barrel "timed" wrong and he decided to file a few thousandths off the barrel torque ring so it would draw closer to the "6 o'clock position when tightened by hand.

The barrel should "time" at about "6:45" to "7:00" . NOT at the "6:15" he had it time to by hand. A barrel has to be tightened to the receiver enough so it will not loosen when fired and maintain it's position so the sights will stay aligned and the gas system / op-rod will function properly over the life of the barrel.  

On this video, the barrel is tightened on the receiver.

About 6 and a halve minutes in, you can see that there are punch marks around the barrel (next to the receiver). The only reason I can see for these punch marks is that it's an attempt to get back more draw on the barrel, thus a tighter fit than he had in the previous video. (c.y.a. maybe?)

And on top of that, ALWAYS use a lubricant on barrel threads. To not do so is dumb.

If I was to have someone build my rifle for me, I'd go with ether Shuff's or Fulton Armory.

If your going to build your own garand, theres a couple of books you must get that will help you do it right:

The U.S. .30 Caliber Gas Operated Service Rifles: A Shop Manual
The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide

You also may want to see the AGI video on Building the M1 Garand

M1 Build

I don't know if Smart Flix will rent to Canada though. You may have to buy it.

In case your wondering, I've built 3 garands from stripped receivers and have 2 more waiting to be built.
Link Posted: 4/14/2012 7:30:56 PM EDT
[#46]

Excellent news paisanos!

I now have a Breda operating rod and I also have an arfcommer who is willing to part with his Breda rear sight.  I now have all the parts necessary to build an action except for a barrel.  

Meanwhile I found a company not far from here that does nitride bath blackening.  This process is somewhat similar to the tennifer process used by Glock.  

Anyhow as most of you know the Garand gas cylinder was made of stainless steel and thus this part was usually painted.  I sent out my gas cylinder to be Nitron blackened––-the process works on stainless steel.

The good folks at Nitron specialize in applying this process to Chinese Norinco M-14s.  In fact, I'm told that they have several tuned enhanced M-14s ready to go.  ( Target Target take note.  Buy one today and don't be a schmoe.)

Here is a picture of a Nitron blackened M-14

Link Posted: 4/14/2012 7:37:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fluffy

-Insert racist Italian joke here-
Link Posted: 4/14/2012 7:41:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fluffy

-Insert racist Italian joke here-

I hate to break it to you, but the Italian Garands were probably the best of them all.  The only funny part is that most Americans look down on Italian Garand parts and view them somehow as second rate.  But that's OK.  That's how I managed to get them.  Every last part that I found is either Breda or Beretta and I'm the one laughing now.

Link Posted: 4/14/2012 8:04:33 PM EDT
[#49]
I love my Beretta M-1D!
Link Posted: 4/14/2012 8:22:10 PM EDT
[#50]

I suggest 10-11 minutes until al-dente...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top