Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2012 2:06:45 PM EDT
New battery, good voltage and when I short the terminals in between the (junction, solenoid, not sure what the fuck is) I get a click from the starter and nothing more? Test light shows no power to starter when ignition is on either???
I feel like there may be several things going on here but I'm bumfuzzled because it always has run like a top as of last season. If anyone can help I will reward them with something.

Help
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 2:20:09 PM EDT
[#1]
If your batt is really new,make sure the connections are tight.You could have broken a starter jackshaft or ring gear or something like that,but I'd guess that you have a bad battery,have someone put a load tester on it.ETA the power is at the solenoid not the starter,it goes to the starter when you turn the key.
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 2:24:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Safety switch somewhere. PTO engaged?
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 2:35:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I've run a jumper wire straight from the hot lead on battery to the starter and same thing- nada. PTO switch is correct but I havent jumped the connection. I did run a jumper wire for the seat safety switch so I could diddle while using test light and jumpers without having someone sit on the seat. I didnt want anyone to endure the tourettes rant I was spouting.
I said "new" battery as I replaced it last spring and had it on the charger for about 4 hrs today. Battery was tits all season last spring.

Cannot get the cocksucker to turn over no matter what I do. I've pounded on the starter, check all wiring and connections etc..

Maybe the battery took a shit as mentioned but I don't have a Fluke meter to check voltage under a load . I said load
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 2:42:00 PM EDT
[#4]
No pull start, can you engage the blades and try and turn them (and engine) to verify its not seized?
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 2:47:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No pull start, can you engage the blades and try and turn them (and engine) to verify its not seized?

Oh shit, no pull start.  When I get back home tomorrow night I'll try that and see.
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 2:57:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you have TWO power sources to your starter?  One thicker cable, and one hot switched lead (from the ignition) to the solenoid?

Sounds like your solenoid is working...do you have hot power to the starter motor (NOT the solenoid) itself?
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 3:02:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Do you have TWO power sources to your starter?  One thicker cable, and one hot switched lead (from the ignition) to the solenoid?

Sounds like your solenoid is working...do you have hot power to the starter motor (NOT the solenoid) itself?

One cable. No power through the harness to the lead on starter but jumper wire still only nets a click at best.

Seems like I have a bad starter/battery/solenoid or some combo of above

I pissed.
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 3:08:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I've owned an EX700 Poulan pro for several years...only issue I've had was the seat switch...caused a starting issue like you describe.

They have an interesting series of safety switches....seat...blade engage...park brake..reverse..all tied together

Could be bad switches..bad battery connections...bad ground cable...battery cables corroded out of sight under the connections(the wire not connecting to the crimped on end).

Did you charge the new battery...or just grab one of the shelf and stick it in?  Could be last summer's new battery that never sold....

Check the seat switch...mine wasn't really broken..but squirming around on the seat to clear tree limbs dislodged it...stopped mowing to get a drink...and wouldn't start. I monkey-fucked around with the saafety switches and discovered the the seat switch cover had come unsnapped from the seat disabeling the switch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top