Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 10:56:09 AM EDT
[#1]
No but when my Grandmother passed away in 2010 my fucking Uncle stole $80,000 of my Mothers money.  Got power of attorney when my Grandmother was in Hospice care and transfered money out of my Mom's/Grandmothers account.  Each child had their own joint account with my Grandmother.  My uncle is a greedy fucker.  My grandfather even told my Mom not to trust him when they were growing up.

Fucker.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 10:57:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a brother thats been disinherited. A year or so ago, my oldest brother died. My mom called my other brother to tell him, he hung up on her! He had stop coming over to family functions for a while. I told my folks to forget him. This was the frosting on the cake. I let it be known in family circles ( so it might get back to him) if I see him anywhere near either of my parents funerals or family functions, he will be leaving bloody.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 11:03:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Male Genetic Donor is still alive. he made it a point to let me know I would not get shit when he pased. I wasn't to bothered by that.

Mom and step dad left me some nick nacks and some debt . I would rather have them back.

Protip , Do not co sign for any one that is close to dieing . ;)
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 12:10:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Disinherited, that's rich.  My parents will likely leave me nothing but debt.  Wonderful parents and I love them, but they've got no idea how to save money.

You are not legally obligated to pay their debt.

But creditors don't count on you knowing that.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 1:03:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I know both my sister and I are in the will. I imagine it is divided evenly. But no big deal if it isn't. My sister and I have a great relationship. There will be no squabbling.
That said, I hope my parents spend and enjoy every cent and time the depletion perfectly.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 1:18:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Eh, people who complain about such stuff probably are not anyone I want to know.  A loved one dies and they are mad they didn't get what they think they deserve is just wrong in my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 1:19:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 1:29:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Disinherited, that's rich. My parents will likely leave me nothing but debt.  Wonderful parents and I love them, but they've got no idea how to save money.

Reminds me of my wife's parents.  

My own parents have been fairly frugal their entire life, and very responsible with money.  Still, they have 7 children so even if there is an inheritance I don't expect to receive very much and will appreciate anything that comes my way.  One of my brothers is becoming a fairly successful accountant and I expect that he will largely be entrusted with the mechanics of distribution of any inheritance.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 1:46:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If my children vote democrat they wont see a fucking dime.  It will all go to charity or be liquidated to build a giant statue over my grave of Thomas Jefferson with an AR 15 standing over the dead bodies of every significant liberal in American history.

so what you are saying is.........if you want my stuff do what I say

thats pretty fucked up man

no. What I am saying is that Im not giving shit to anyone who feels things are owed to them who vote to steal from others.   I will love my children but they wont get what I earned if they turn out to be that type of person.  They won't realize it until the day I die.  I won't tell them that. They can live their life how they please but if they live it in a way that I approve of and can be proud of they will get my wealth when I pass.

Also if there are grandchildren who are on the right path or too young to know their path I may leave it all to them.  If under 18 it will go in a trust their parents have no access to though if they decide to be liberals.

Link Posted: 3/17/2012 1:48:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If my children vote democrat they wont see a fucking dime.  It will all go to charity or be liquidated to build a giant statue over my grave of Thomas Jefferson with an AR 15 standing over the dead bodies of every significant liberal in American history.

If your kids vote for the Dems you screwed up raising them.

I agree.  Still not giving them my stuff though. It probably wont be learned but my last act will be a lesson that you aren't entitled to a damned thing.

Link Posted: 3/17/2012 2:14:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Haven't got to that point, yet.

I have argued with my parents about it, though. They keep saying they want to leave us kids something after they pass. I keep telling them they don't owe us a darn thing and they should spend every penny they have and enjoy the the years they have left.
Awesome story about my Uncle.

My Dad's mother remarried in her 50s. After Dad's mom passed away the shit bag she remarried decided he was going to have an estate auction and sell everything. The thing was that he didn't tell anyone in the family about it and tried to keep it a secret. My Uncle ended up finding out about the auction and promptly emptied out some of his investments. He walked up to that auction like a boss and kept outbidding everyone at the auction until everyone at the auction gave up and left.  He ended up buying the vast majority of the estate in a lump sum once the douche saw what my Uncle was doing.

Link Posted: 3/17/2012 2:18:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Well, I asked for a chest of silverware my mom wanted me to have when she passed, and some family photos.

Didn't even ask if mom had a will.

My dad and demonspawn shebitch he was cheating on her with blew everything else on a new truck/boat/car, etc.

When dad passed away, the only thing I got was a call from demonspawn shebitch begging for money.

Didn't even check to see if dad had a will.

When my wife's grandmother passed, the family picked the house apart in hours, at least what was left in it when she passed.

I guess this is why I have a special kind of resentment for those who perch like vultures waiting for a "loved one" to pass.

I've heard more than one story about family memebrs showing up during the funeral to clean out the deceased person's house.  I think an ARFCOMMER posted an armed guard that ended up confronting the black sheep son.

Link Posted: 3/17/2012 2:18:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Haven't got to that point, yet.

I have argued with my parents about it, though. They keep saying they want to leave us kids something after they pass. I keep telling them they don't owe us a darn thing and they should spend every penny they have and enjoy the the years they have left.

Awesome story about my Uncle.

My Dad's mother remarried in her 50s. After Dad's mom passed away the shit bag she remarried decided he was going to have an estate auction and sell everything. The thing was that he didn't tell anyone in the family about it and tried to keep it a secret. My Uncle ended up finding out about the auction and promptly emptied out some of his investments. He walked up to that auction like a boss and kept outbidding everyone at the auction until everyone at the auction gave up and left.  He ended up buying the vast majority of the estate in a lump sum once the douche saw what my Uncle was doing.

wow what a dickhead.

Link Posted: 3/17/2012 2:22:56 PM EDT
[#14]
No I wasn't disinherited. However, I was left with quit a void in my heart. I was close to my parents, and my maternal grandfather. I'm soon aproaching thier ages when they moved on.

As for my kids, I could never disinherit them. My wife and I have worked very hard to provide a solid functional life for them to prosper in. And to get them started on the  good path as they move on. Statisticly I will move on before my wife, so she will be well taken care of first and foremost.  With a few specific things that are earmarked for my children.ie guns, knives, jewlery, college funds etc.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 2:28:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You Sir are my hero!
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 2:32:35 PM EDT
[#16]
My Dad died almost 20 years ago. My Mother in Feb. My brother is doing everything he can to make sure I get nothing. He owes her estate 55k. Probate is going to be fun.

Link Posted: 3/17/2012 2:32:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not always the case.  Out of 7 siblings, there are two of my sisters who are almost certainly Dems despite all my parents did to teach them correctly.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 2:35:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Well, I asked for a chest of silverware my mom wanted me to have when she passed, and some family photos.

My dad and demonspawn shebitch he was cheating on her with blew everything else on a new truck/boat/car, etc.

When dad passed away, the only thing I got was a call from demonspawn shebitch begging for money.

When my wife's grandmother passed, the family picked the house apart in hours, at least what was left in it when she passed.

I guess this is why I have a special kind of resentment for those who perch like vultures waiting for a "loved one" to pass.

I've heard more than one story about family memebrs showing up during the funeral to clean out the deceased person's house.  I think an ARFCOMMER posted an armed guard that ended up confronting the black sheep son.

I believe that an Arfcommer here in Utah had to do that as well.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 2:36:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I see you must have met my family. You a fifth cousin I didn't know about or something?

Seriously man, been there. You got my sympathies. Fucking jackals and vultures.

My younger sister has been hanging around for 20 years waiting for my parents to die.  My other younger sister is still under the impression that she will get anything when they die.

The other siblings and myself are not waiting around we have our own lives to live for better or worse for us.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 2:41:04 PM EDT
[#20]
No and no.  I'm executor of my Dad's estate, brother and I haven't had any disagreements so far about any of the property in the house, in fact, I'm holding anything he wants until he PCS's from Germany in a couple of years.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 2:42:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't vote for any D, but it'd almost be worth it to see that statue built.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 2:42:39 PM EDT
[#22]
This is fffed up...

My mom "alcoholic" sent me the new will of her and her husband with my sister written out of it.  Sister is out it due to her having enough of the booze and how it affects her and her family.  Whatever I get after it is divided between his kids and me I will give half to my sister.  They will probably drink and smoke it all away anyways....
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 2:43:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
'I leave no bequest to my son for reasons known to him.'

Yeah, I got that.

Yep, I got something very similar.  I knew it was going to be that way, and had made my peace with it years ago.  There are people that you just can't have in your life.  Sometimes they're family.  Sucks.

Link Posted: 3/17/2012 2:44:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Nevermind.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 2:51:11 PM EDT
[#25]
My father and three of his siblings were cheated out of a very sizeable inheritance (thousands of acres of land, lots of money and livestock) because his stepdad and one of my dad's brothers convinced my grandmother to change her will just before she died of cancer.  After a court battle, my dad received about 600 acres split between him and his four siblings, but it had to be sold to pay the lawyer fees. It was a bad deal and tore his family apart.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 2:55:00 PM EDT
[#26]
I was raised by my grandparents who were both pretty wealthy.  If my Grandmother would have outlived my Grandfather I was to inherit 1/4 of everything.  She didn't but I got 25 more years with my grandfather which was well worth it, not that I wouldn't have loved more time with my grandmother.  As it is, I'm suppose to get something, I don't foresee that happening.  I hope I can have something that I can say belong to my grandparents.  I know they would have both wanted this.

My Grandfather disinherited my aunt, she raked him over the coals financially twice and the last time he pulled the plug.  In his will he indicated that my father had to pay back everything he ever borrowed from him before he received a dime.  I don't foresee that happening anytime soon, so essentially my aunt who cared for my grandfather these past give years will get everything.  

There isn't anything worse than watching people haggle over someone's estate that you love.  I have cousins who have stolen things from my grandparents because they believe they're entitled to things.  I bite my tongue and do not associate with them.  I feel my grandparents gave me their time and that is worth more than anything they could have left me.  

Link Posted: 3/17/2012 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Shoot, my parents are still living, and I've already been disinherited.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 3:00:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

My father-in-law once told me that he and my mother-in-law were writing my wife and I out of their wills.

I told him "That's fine. The fact that you'll be dead will be enough for me."

We don't talk much anymore.

Well played.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 4:11:04 PM EDT
[#29]
I know that I'll get something from Dad when he passes (Mom died about 1 1/2 yrs ago), but I don't really
know what, and am not worried about it. I value my time with him more than anything I could inherit.

I'm sure I'll be the executor, as my brother lives across the States, but I'll make sure that he gets his share.

My grandfather died after years of telling me that when he died, that I would get his deer rifle, as he knew that
I'd take care of it, and that it meant a lot to me. I even saw it in the will, shortly before he died. However, at the
reading, lo & behold, somehow my vulture-sitting-on-a-fencepost Uncle had talked him into completely changing
it. My brother got his .22, my oxygen-thief cousin got his Remington 1100 (probably long gone in a pawn shop),
and the deer rifle went to my uncle. I got squat. No clue WTF happened with that.....

The catfight/fencepost sitting when my in-laws pass is going to be epic! I know that they have $$, but I have no
clue how much, other than they own several homes in southern VA. I imagine that they won't even be room
temp before the locust will descend upon my MIL's jewelry box. If Mrs. Tanker gets her fair share, whatever it
is, I'll be surprised.

And they wonder why I don't show up to family functions....
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 5:14:47 PM EDT
[#30]
FIL passed in Oct. His mother(wifes grandmother) passed at Christmas. Her will was written so the surviving children split the estate 50/50.  We didn't care, wasn't our money but  my MIL was pissed and complained constantly about not getting her share.  When we went over to clean the house my wifes aunt gave my wife and her siblings a check and my MIL a copy of the will  Wifes aunt is a class act. Included a letter telling us it was only fair that they split her brothers share with his children.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 5:31:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Not disinherited here but cheated by younger sister who settled the estate.

Estate worth $1m+.

What she couldn't take...............she stole.

If she got hit by a train tomorrow I could care less.

GD
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 5:31:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
FIL passed in Oct. His mother(wifes grandmother) passed at Christmas. Her will was written so the surviving children split the estate 50/50.  We didn't care, wasn't our money but  my MIL was pissed and complained constantly about not getting her share.  When we went over to clean the house my wifes aunt gave my wife and her siblings a check and my MIL a copy of the will  Wifes aunt is a class act. Included a letter telling us it was only fair that they split her brothers share with his children.

Wife's aunt does indeed sound like a class act.  It might not hurt to send her a letter thanking her for being such a good example.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 5:38:34 PM EDT
[#33]
No, mom and dad divorced 28 years ago. They ended up pretty well off.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 5:39:09 PM EDT
[#34]
I was on all my dad's accounts so that part was easy since we have Joint with Right of Survivor in Texas. Me and my brother are the only one's left in our family, we trust each other like brothers should so we just split everything down the middle. The only things going through probate is real estate. Their were a few items my brother wanted to pass to his son so I let him have a few things that should stay in our family and be passed on to the next generation.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 5:41:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wife's aunt does indeed sound like a class act.  It might not hurt to send her a letter thanking her for being such a good example.

Already Done  She is a good person and I know Grandma and my FIL would be proud.

Link Posted: 3/17/2012 5:50:08 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Dibs on guns!

Link Posted: 3/17/2012 6:21:16 PM EDT
[#37]
My Grandfather disinherited my aunt, she raked him over the coals financially twice and the last time he pulled the plug. In his will he indicated that my father had to pay back everything he ever borrowed from him before he received a dime. I don't foresee that happening anytime soon, so essentially my aunt who cared for my grandfather these past give years will get everything.

My own aunt, a swindler from the word go, did the same thing, to just about everyone in the family who had money. That's another sweet thing about the  living trust; the original trustees (the "owners" of the trust) don't have to say anything about who inherits and who doesn't. (They CAN do so, but they don't have to.) Upon their death, the trust goes into the control of the survivor trustees, and they are the ones who decide who gets what.

Auntie DID call after Mom and Dad died, saying she had to sign off on stuff... we told her she didn't need to do so (after all, she was too ill to attend either funeral)... She sounded perplexed and then hung up. Never heard from her again. I don't even know if she's still above the ground.

Now here's a question for attorneys: What COULD she have done, in order to get a share of the (fairly substantial) inheritance? Lawsuit? Other action?
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 7:41:47 PM EDT
[#38]
I know I will be in for a mess when my father dies. Dad is a smart man and has his plot/burial picked out and payed for. I also know that he has a will and everything is being handled by his attorney. The 4 of us kids have been given a copy of the will - but the numbers/items are blank and referenced to another document. So how much goes to who is unknown. I am listed as the executor so everything appears to be in order.

The problem is that there are 2 whole children, 1 half brother and a step-sister. I know three of us see eye to eye on the finances + split. But, the 1 whole sister seems to feel entitleded to most everything...Ten years ago she came up with the great idea of having all 4 of us go through Dad's house and put a sticky note on what we wanted and we would hash it out then. The 3 of us other siblings (unknown to each other at the time) told her to save the paper and put her name on the house and everything in it...That was a quiet holiday season .I hope the will and attorney will be able to get the deed done properly. The issue will be one of hurt feelings amongst us survivors....too bad.

I feel like Dad should spend or give away his money as he sees fit whether any of it goes to me or not. I intend to follow his will to the letter whether I agree with it or not is not important. It is after all - His money!

Mom- well we take care of her now - so there won't be anything on that end.

I thank God that I still have them - worth more than any amount of money...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top