Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/16/2012 11:30:26 PM EDT
This story on msnbc got me thinking more about this subject.

If one or both of your parents have passed away, were you disinherited? Would you disinherit any of your siblings or kids?

My parents are both gone. My father didn't leave me anything. That's OK though, parents were divorced when I was a kid, didn't really know my father. My mother did the best she could and when she passed away last year she left my brother and myself equal shares of her modest savings.

msnbc - Last will and contempt? The pain of being disinherited

What about the hive?
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 11:35:21 PM EDT
[#1]

'I leave no bequest to my son for reasons known to him.'

Yeah, I got that.

Link Posted: 3/16/2012 11:37:45 PM EDT
[#2]
If my children vote democrat they wont see a fucking dime.  It will all go to charity or be liquidated to build a giant statue over my grave of Thomas Jefferson with an AR 15 standing over the dead bodies of every significant liberal in American history.

Link Posted: 3/16/2012 11:40:04 PM EDT
[#3]
My great grandmother disinherited my uncle. My grandmother split it evenly with him, though.
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 11:55:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I asked for a chest of silverware my mom wanted me to have when she passed, and some family photos.

Didn't even ask if mom had a will.

My dad and demonspawn shebitch he was cheating on her with blew everything else on a new truck/boat/car, etc.

When dad passed away, the only thing I got was a call from demonspawn shebitch begging for money.

Didn't even check to see if dad had a will.

When my wife's grandmother passed, the family picked the house apart in hours, at least what was left in it when she passed.

I guess this is why I have a special kind of resentment for those who perch like vultures waiting for a "loved one" to pass.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 12:00:20 AM EDT
[#5]

My father-in-law once told me that he and my mother-in-law were writing my wife and I out of their wills.

I told him "That's fine. The fact that you'll be dead will be enough for me."

We don't talk much anymore.

Link Posted: 3/17/2012 12:11:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If my children vote democrat they wont see a fucking dime.  It will all go to charity or be liquidated to build a giant statue over my grave of Thomas Jefferson with an AR 15 standing over the dead bodies of every significant liberal in American history.

Thomas Jefferson himself was probably the most significant liberal in American history.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 12:12:30 AM EDT
[#7]
No, my brother passed, so to protect as much of it for me as they could my parents formed a corporation and a trust fund.

Once everything passes to me I just take over as CEO and trustee.

I'm all they have and we have a good relationship, my parents are my best friends now.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 12:14:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thomas Jefferson himself was probably the most significant liberal in American history.

It must be the Jungian thing.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 12:16:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Disinherited, that's rich.  My parents will likely leave me nothing but debt.  Wonderful parents and I love them, but they've got no idea how to save money.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 12:17:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know what kind of liberals Im talking about.

Link Posted: 3/17/2012 12:20:41 AM EDT
[#11]
My grandmother recently passed away and disinherited my cousin. My dad wrote her a check for the amount to keep the peace. No reason to add any drama and he knew better after getting royally fucked over by his brother. I think he made the right call, especially since there was no real reason for my grandmother to do that.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 12:21:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well, I asked for a chest of silverware my mom wanted me to have when she passed, and some family photos.

Didn't even ask if mom had a will.

My dad and demonspawn shebitch he was cheating on her with blew everything else on a new truck/boat/car, etc.

When dad passed away, the only thing I got was a call from demonspawn shebitch begging for money.

Didn't even check to see if dad had a will.

When my wife's grandmother passed, the family picked the house apart in hours, at least what was left in it when she passed.

I guess this is why I have a special kind of resentment for those who perch like vultures waiting for a "loved one" to pass.

Oh, I see you must have met my family. You a fifth cousin I didn't know about or something?

Seriously man, been there. You got my sympathies. Fucking jackals and vultures.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 12:38:30 AM EDT
[#13]
I get nothing.

No surprises, my folks plan on living well and donating what is left to good causes. (other then some heirloom type stuff). I have no idea what their estate is worth, never seen their finances, never asked, don't care.

Ain't mine to begin with, don't care what they do with it. Was taught to make my own way in life by my parents, that is the best legacy they could leave me with.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 1:07:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Why are you watching MSNBC?
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 1:37:27 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't expect squat.  I reckon dad will leave it all to the church.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 1:53:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Inheritance is for wealthy people. Working people are lucky to pay for funeral expenses. Dad died penniless, but was entitled to a plot in a veterans cemetery. Expenses still amounted to $3,500.00 for the cremation, urn and transportation. Mom died with a bit of net worth, but her second husband kept everything, including family personal items from before they were married.

I have no inheritance plan for my children. I'll give them their money up front in the form of education expenses, and some start up help. Personal property excluded, of course.

Link Posted: 3/17/2012 1:55:44 AM EDT
[#17]
No, the 5 of us siblings each got a very generous inheritance.

Link Posted: 3/17/2012 2:25:14 AM EDT
[#18]
I told my parents if they didn't leave a clear and precise will so there will be no bickering  that I'd make sure it was all donated to the sheriffs office. (They are reformed hippes who still hate "the man").
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 2:40:20 AM EDT
[#19]
I thought I was set to inherit all of the guns, but I took my little sister shooting for the first time today and she seemed to enjoy it, so I may have unwittingly breached my inheritance deal. I told dad I don't give a shit about money so long as I get the guns.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 2:40:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

so what you are saying is.........if you want my stuff do what I say

thats pretty fucked up man
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 2:54:02 AM EDT
[#21]
all that I have now would would go to our daughter because she is mine, why should it change when I die

Link Posted: 3/17/2012 3:02:31 AM EDT
[#22]
PSA:

If this is a thing you are concerned about (how to leave stuff to your kids), please consider a living trust. My parents did this and when they passed, their estate was divided among their 6 kids (almost) without any hassle at all. No taxes, no squabbling, nada.

A "trust" is a way of owning stuff. It is a 'shell', so to speak, into which all the assets (money, retirement, personal and real property, etc) are placed. The trust "owns" the property. The owners of the trust then control the trust. When they die, the control passes on to the trustees (in this case, myself and 2 sisters).

It takes a few hours to set up; the services of an attorney is advised. After they died, the atty came out and sat with us 3 trustees and discussed it; this service was part of his setup fee.

I bless them for doing this for us. So many people just won't consider their own mortality, and cause an immense mess when they die.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 3:05:27 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

PSA:

If this is a thing you are concerned about (how to leave stuff to your kids), please consider a living trust. My parents did this and when they passed, their estate was divided among their 6 kids (almost) without any hassle at all. No taxes, no squabbling, nada.

A "trust" is a way of owning stuff. It is a 'shell', so to speak, into which all the assets (money, retirement, personal and real property, etc) are placed. The trust "owns" the property. The owners of the trust then control the trust. When they die, the control passes on to the trustees (in this case, myself and 2 sisters).

It takes a few hours to set up; the services of an attorney is advised. After they died, the atty came out and sat with us 3 trustees and discussed it; this service was part of his setup fee.

I bless them for doing this for us. So many people just won't consider their own mortality, and cause an immense mess when they die.

That's how my parents did it, my oldest brother and I were the trustees.

Link Posted: 3/17/2012 3:11:49 AM EDT
[#24]
My parents are still alive (both in their 70's).

I've made it clear to them on more than one occassion that what they do with their stuff is up to them.  I have no call on any of it.  I've said the same to my brothers (one of whom passed away 4 years ago).  

How can anyone feel like they have the right to be given something that belonged to someone else?  If they want you to have it then they should give it to you before they die - that is the best way to insure you actually get it.

If you only want the money, or the things you can sell for money then shame on you anyway.

My dad has tools that belonged to his grandfather and he worries that no one will want them or appreciate them the way he does (and he's right, unless the world comes to an end no one will need the saws, axes, mauls, etc. that his dad made a living with).  

I'll be grateful for whatever I might get but I don't want them to pass away for me to get it..
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 3:13:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 3:21:48 AM EDT
[#26]
How can anyone feel like they have the right to be given something that belonged to someone else? If they want you to have it then they should give it to you before they die - that is the best way to insure you actually get it.

In the case of your parents,  you DO have a right to inherit their property... far more right than any stranger... as long as they leave it to you.

You don't have the right to CLAIM anything, but you should have the right to inherit.

In my folks' case, since I was the only child with an active interest in shooting, they left instructions that I was to get first pick of my dad's (rather impressive) arsenal. I'm content with that.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 3:28:26 AM EDT
[#27]
My parents made me the executor of their will. I am not sure what they will leave behind, but I do know that it will be distributed equally down to the last penny.....it's their wish and it will be carried out to the letter.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 3:32:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
PSA:

My parents did this as well after seeing what happened when my grandmother was put in a home after her dementia got too much for the family to handle. (up until that her children had basically been taking turns staying with her)  A trust is the way to go.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 3:37:31 AM EDT
[#29]
I was disinherited through the theft committed by my blood relations.  The few items that I cared about were plundered and pawned by people who felt no attachment nor sentiment to either the person or the items.

Fuck them.

Link Posted: 3/17/2012 3:50:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Disinherited, that's rich.  My parents will likely leave me nothing but debt.  Wonderful parents and I love them, but they've got no idea how to save money.

With $15+ trillion in national debt, this is all that any future generation will inherit.

Wealth confiscation, through estate taxation, outright seizure, or inflation, will eliminate much of the accumulated private wealth in this nation.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 3:51:32 AM EDT
[#31]
My Great Uncle is a vulture and thinks that when people die he should be the one to handle everything including the will.

My Uncle (Grandma's kid), his inheritance is all that he talks about and wants to know what hes getting, he speaks loudly about it every single time at every family function about it like my Grandparents are deaf and don't hear him. He has also made up some story about his mother in law going around her house labeling with a label maker putting names of who will get what when she goes. He is very covetous.

My Aunt has dollar signs in her eyes. I won't even post the long list of things she does.

I find it all to be disrespectful to my Grandparents.

Link Posted: 3/17/2012 4:19:53 AM EDT
[#32]
My father was a smart man, he set up a trust.  He passed 12 years ago at 56.  It was a bad scene,  he was well loved by everyone.

The fact that we didn't have to deal with any property issues was a blessing.  When my mom goes everything will just transfer.

Did i say my father was very smart, and loved?

Fuck i miss him.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 4:23:54 AM EDT
[#33]
My daddy left home when I was three.  He didn't leave much for ma and me.  

Link Posted: 3/17/2012 4:39:27 AM EDT
[#34]
My mom's parents both died when she was very young, but she was born in 46 and her dad was born in 1888 so she was an accident. Her dad was well off had a restaraunt and a couple of houses when he died when she was 8. Her mom died when my mom was 17. In the last few weeks of her life, her mom's brothers showed up getting her to sign all kinds of stuff. Until her mom died she didn't realize her mom was signing everything over to them. My mom left after she found out and has not spoken to anyone on that side of her family except once. She owned the family plot they missed that. She went to visit her dad and found they had buried her aunt who her dad HATED next to her dad. She called the ladies daughter and told her she had until sundown to get the body moved or she would dig her up and dump her remains in their yard. She was dead fucking serious. Fast forward 20 years, one of her aunts died and left her enough for the down payment on the house I grew up in.

My dad's mom died and left a sizable amount my dad has left in trust as investments. He has done well on his own and said he would leave that money to grow for us kids. I was the executor until I told him flat out" If there is ANY way possible I can fuck the other half siblings out of this money I will" now an attorney is the executor.

My wife's dad has a LARGE collection of guns. He is re-married his wife has a worthless dope fiend kid with a baby and a she-beast wife. He told my wife when he dies his wife gets everything including the guns and that is that. Kinda fucked up but that woman takes care of him. It saddens me those guns will all get sold for nothing for drugs by her son most likely.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 7:38:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 9:03:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Had a long talk with my mom about this stuff.  I was encouraging her to treat herself to a new vehicle and do some remodeling to her house.  She told me she didnt want to spend my inheritance.  I told her screw that she raised me and helped me along for 18 years that is enough for me.  My parents worked their whole life for that money and they cant take it with them so enjoy it while you can.  She has her funeral already planned and payed for in advance.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 9:04:29 AM EDT
[#37]
My father died in 1982 and left everything to my mother as is right. When she died in 2003, she left everything to me and excluded my older brother completely because (1) he is really rich, (2) did jack shit for her after our father died, and (3) was kind of a snarky shit to me my whole life. As executor, I gave him a third ($150K) anyway because it was the right thing to do. The prick never even said thank you although he had a copy of the will and knew the terms.
Boys and girls, you have siblings because your parents were on good terms more than once. Don't read any more into it than that.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 9:08:00 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/17/2012 9:14:10 AM EDT
[#39]
I know two people who were disinherited, both deserved it.

Link Posted: 3/17/2012 9:17:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
This story on msnbc got me thinking more about this subject.

If one or both of your parents have passed away, were you disinherited? Would you disinherit any of your siblings or kids?

My parents are both gone. My father didn't leave me anything. That's OK though, parents were divorced when I was a kid, didn't really know my father. My mother did the best she could and when she passed away last year she left my brother and myself equal shares of her modest savings.

msnbc - Last will and contempt? The pain of being disinherited

What about the hive?

me too I am in the same boat.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 9:18:22 AM EDT
[#41]
My sister had my mom "quit-claim" everything to her without our knowledge. When my mother died, she got everything. They even took over $10,000 of my father's life insurance (that we know of....) and never paid her back.

She is on a trumped up disability from the post office, and her dead beat husband is on disability from GM.

They make me sick.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 9:19:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Had a long talk with my mom about this stuff.  I was encouraging her to treat herself to a new vehicle and do some remodeling to her house.  She told me she didnt want to spend my inheritance.  I told her screw that she raised me and helped me along for 18 years that is enough for me.  My parents worked their whole life for that money and they cant take it with them so enjoy it while you can.  She has her funeral already planned and payed for in advance.

Word, my parents and grandparents are the old school Italian type, ie. leave a big inheretance.

I wish they would just spend it on themselves, I'm more than capable of making my own money. They gave me a good start by not being shitheads and that's enough for me. I told my parents that I want their last few checks to bounce.

Honestly, what can I buy that would be worth them not spending the money they earned?

First world problems...
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 9:31:05 AM EDT
[#43]
My mother has been quite successful in her work to the point she has sacrificed any family life throughout my childhood. A few years ago... she thought she would begin @ being my mom. Too little, too late.

I don't want a dime from her when she passes...
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 10:24:29 AM EDT
[#44]
I have a cousin who is about 11 years older than I am(he was 101 st Airborne in Korea) He and his wife have 4 kids.3 of them have worked hard raised their own families and been responsible adults.
The 4 th has been in jail MANY times and even at age 50 (or so)  still calls on Dad to post bail or get him out of jail.My cousin usually lets him sit for a while and then gets him out.But he always reduces his inheritance by the cost of bail,court,fines,lawyers etc.
  The 'kid' is spending a sizable amount of money  and time sitting in a cell somewhere.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 10:32:28 AM EDT
[#45]
My mom has "invested" money with my brother almost all his life.  The scenario plays out this way, mom "invests", brother goes bankrupt, mom loses everything, rinse/repeat.  We are talking in the range of $400,000+ so far.  She still treats him like gold and treats me like crap.  When she dies, I expect everything to go to him and his family.  She has a sick, slobbering love-affair with him and they deserve each-other.

I picked her up from the hospital yesterday to give her a ride home.  Granted, I hadn't spoken to her since Thanksgiving, but when she absolutely needs me, I'll be there.  It took her about 2 minutes to start lying to me and 1 hour before she was trying to pick a fight.  This is an 82 year old woman who is a cruel hag to the only son who doesn't ask for anything from her, nor wants anything from her...

Morale of the story:  Make it on your own because most of the time, family will screw you quicker, harder and with more pain than any stranger.

Eric  

Link Posted: 3/17/2012 10:41:55 AM EDT
[#46]
My dad passed away when I was 17,he never had a will and his brother somehow pilfered his life savings and promptly lost it on some bad investments.Does that count?
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 10:43:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You are not legally obligated to pay their debt.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 10:48:19 AM EDT
[#48]
No.  Only some minor issues with the wife's family that have since been worked out amongst the siblings.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 10:52:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

If your kids vote for the Dems you screwed up raising them.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 10:54:12 AM EDT
[#50]
My brother married a bitch, he was disinherited by two relatives, with me picking up his shares.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top