Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/15/2012 1:24:05 PM EDT
it is like it got buried somewhere, I cannot find any news articles or mention of it online anywhere.

I was in at the time and remember hearing about it, but want "proof".

navy times doesn't seem to even have it, or go back that far online anyway.

would have been like 91 to 93.
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 1:26:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know what you're talking about, but definitely in to see if somebody does
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd like to see it myself.

Link Posted: 3/15/2012 1:37:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I've heard the same story, but the carrier was different, either Kitty Hawk or Indy don't remember which.
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 1:40:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I've heard this but I think urban legend.  I do know that liner in Los Angles was found to have items from WW 2 troop ship service when it was being decommed in the 60s.
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 1:44:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Every one has heard the story. I don't know if anyone has any proof. No one on the ship could ever tell me where it was.
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 1:45:41 PM EDT
[#6]
LOL Google finds this thread...damn they are fast..
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 3:13:33 PM EDT
[#7]
odd, I don't remember hearing it as a sea story. I remember it on an actual news thing.
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 3:24:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I heard about it from someone here. Maybe they know.

Link Posted: 3/15/2012 3:25:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Double tap.

Link Posted: 3/15/2012 3:31:54 PM EDT
[#10]
'scribin this 'un.
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 3:32:59 PM EDT
[#11]
The skinny on this is Geraldo opened up the machine shop and found a bunch of stuff from Al Capone.
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 3:40:33 PM EDT
[#12]
What color is the machine shop on the Enterprise?
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 3:42:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Was on there from 94 to 98, never heard of it
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 3:43:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/15/2012 3:43:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

USS Enterprise USN is Grey
NCC 1701 Enerprise is puke green
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 3:43:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I don't know that?!

Link Posted: 3/15/2012 3:45:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I first heard the story in the late 60s and it was the Kitty Hawk.  Next time I heard it it was the Constellation.  I served on all of those ships and I can tell you for a fact that, as big as they are, it could not happen.  Someone in the DC Gang would figure it out on their first cruise.

ETA:
The machine shop deck is red except for areas with tile and the bulkheads are beach sand.  Or at least they were.
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 3:47:24 PM EDT
[#18]
So for the benefit of us non-Navy types, what's the story?
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 3:50:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Urban legend.

And most anyone who ever worked in the Pentagon heard similar stories about sealed offices found during the Pentagon Renovation..... supposedly because it was built in such a rush.

One story had a construction worker found mummified.... sealed in the space.  

Link Posted: 3/15/2012 3:51:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't get it, what's the big deal about a machine shop? Can someone explain
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 3:54:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 3:54:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/15/2012 3:55:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, When Scotty first built the ship, he and some Vulcans got drunk one night and since the Vulcans were embarrased that they lsot control, Scotty shut them up in a machine shop and sealed it away.

Scotty was a mean drunk.
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 3:59:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/15/2012 4:01:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Usually along the lines of they found a space that did not even have a door, but it was a fully equipped machine shop from when the ship was built. Totally couldn't happen, some seaman would have figured it out, cut a hole to it using a spoon and slept in it over the years.  

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 4:01:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

You don't think that would be interesting?

Finding a long forgot shop full of machine tools that has been sealed up for 40 or so years, unknown it even exists until discovered?

Link Posted: 3/15/2012 4:04:43 PM EDT
[#27]
What round for hidden machine shop?
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 4:05:56 PM EDT
[#28]
My high school did remodels years and years ago over a spring break.  The remodeling people walled in the server room.  The server admin came in the Monday after spring break, walked by where the door used to be, then thought he had lost it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 4:12:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Screw the machine shops. I want to spend some quality time walking all the bunkers and storehouses on all the old bases, just to see what I could find in them. In Europe, I know there's some good stuff...

We got tasked to go pick up some stuff for practicing with prechambers, so we could train on putting the cheese charges into them, priming them, and doing the rest of the tasks that we could without blowing up a real site. So, I got sent out to some remote Bundeswehr ammo site somewhere in the mountains around Fulda. When I got there, the Germans manning the place couldn't speak English, and my German sucked. The paperwork was also pretty messed up, so we wound up going on a wild goose chase looking for this crap that we were supposed to pick up. We opened bunkers and warehouses that I'm pretty sure hadn't been looked at since shortly after the war, and there were some treasures within, let me tell you. Couple of times, we had to cut locks and use tanker's bars just to open the doors up. Once inside the bunkers or storage areas? It was like going to someone else's house at Christmas––All these intriguing boxes and crates you weren't allowed to open up, but which had the most alluring labels. Lots and lots of stuff with the old Wehrmacht eagles on it...  One or two times, I was morally certain nobody had been inside those sites since the war, since there were a couple of spots where it looked like stuff had been laid out for issue––Stuff like Teller mines, ammo cans, and one big pile of rusted hardware that I'm pretty sure represented a platoon's worth of small arms. Couldn't touch any of it, since the old Wachtmeister I was with was sure it was all booby-trapped, but I have to tell you, that was the most vivid memory I have of that entire exercise––Wandering down rows and rows of old storage sites. Supposedly, all that got cleaned up in the 1990s, but I'd still love to go back and look at it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 4:13:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've heard the same story, but the carrier was different, either Kitty Hawk or Indy don't remember which.

I was on both of those ships for a good amount, and I've never heard of this.
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 4:13:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't think that would be interesting?

Finding a long forgot shop full of machine tools that has been sealed up for 40 or so years, unknown it even exists until discovered?

It would probably look identical to my high school shop in the mid 80's, we were sporting some old school stuff in there (no pun intended).

Link Posted: 3/15/2012 4:32:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Usually along the lines of they found a space that did not even have a door, but it was a fully equipped machine shop from when the ship was built. Totally couldn't happen, some seaman would have figured it out, cut a hole to it using a spoon and slept in it over the years.  

Kharn

Part in red

Link Posted: 3/15/2012 4:37:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Sounds like something Mulder and Scully would stumble across..

I want to believe.
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 4:38:31 PM EDT
[#34]
I was on the Kitty Hawk from 97-01 and never heard it. But there were a lot of rumors on ther about guys that died... It was always fun going down to 7-87(7th deck(bottom of the ship) frame 87) by yourself at midnight to take magazine temperatures and the tie-down chains would be gently swaying and rattling on the bulkhead.

Eta: you had to get in by going through a scuttle and the lights would usually be half out... For those that don't know... Imagine going through a"20-24 hole in a  ceiling and dangling your legs in trying to find the ladder to climb down... It sucked.
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 4:40:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Built when Cadilacs had fins.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 4:41:30 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Screw the machine shops. I want to spend some quality time walking all the bunkers and storehouses on all the old bases, just to see what I could find in them. In Europe, I know there's some good stuff...

We got tasked to go pick up some stuff for practicing with prechambers, so we could train on putting the cheese charges into them, priming them, and doing the rest of the tasks that we could without blowing up a real site. So, I got sent out to some remote Bundeswehr ammo site somewhere in the mountains around Fulda. When I got there, the Germans manning the place couldn't speak English, and my German sucked. The paperwork was also pretty messed up, so we wound up going on a wild goose chase looking for this crap that we were supposed to pick up. We opened bunkers and warehouses that I'm pretty sure hadn't been looked at since shortly after the war, and there were some treasures within, let me tell you. Couple of times, we had to cut locks and use tanker's bars just to open the doors up. Once inside the bunkers or storage areas? It was like going to someone else's house at Christmas––All these intriguing boxes and crates you weren't allowed to open up, but which had the most alluring labels. Lots and lots of stuff with the old Wehrmacht eagles on it...  One or two times, I was morally certain nobody had been inside those sites since the war, since there were a couple of spots where it looked like stuff had been laid out for issue––Stuff like Teller mines, ammo cans, and one big pile of rusted hardware that I'm pretty sure represented a platoon's worth of small arms. Couldn't touch any of it, since the old Wachtmeister I was with was sure it was all booby-trapped, but I have to tell you, that was the most vivid memory I have of that entire exercise––Wandering down rows and rows of old storage sites. Supposedly, all that got cleaned up in the 1990s, but I'd still love to go back and look at it.

Link Posted: 3/15/2012 4:42:44 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I was on the Kitty Hawk from 97-01 and never heard it. But there were a lot of rumors on ther about guys that died... It was always fun going down to 7-87(7th deck(bottom of the ship) frame 87) by yourself at midnight to take magazine temperatures and the tie-down chains would be gently swaying and rattling on the bulkhead.
Eta: you had to get in by going through a scuttle and the lights would usually be half out... For those that don't know... Imagine going through a"20-24 hole in a  ceiling and dangling your legs in trying to find the ladder to climb down... It sucked.

At one point my GQ station was in "forward missile magazine", otherwise known as "84 trunk", btdt on a different boat

eta:

I did some salvage work on the following ships in mothballs and I can tell you there was some seriously cool stuff left on those boats. I regret to this day not being able to get a ready room chair from the USS Oriskany, I cant remember the squadron but they looked like Lazy-E-Boys except they were covered in red "sparkle vinyl and had the squadron unit patch embroidered on the back rest.

I found letters home during Vietnam that were never mailed (Oriskany) that I wish I would have kept but the Internet didnt exist then really so not much I could have done other than put them in a mailbox.

USS Oriskany

USS AJAX

USS Bon Home Richard

USS Hornet (CVS-12)

I still worry about the asbestos exposure.

Link Posted: 3/15/2012 4:44:34 PM EDT
[#38]
There's a similar urban legend about a VAX that got sealed in a server room during a facilities renovation and was forgotten about for years. Still had power and a network cable. It could be pinged, but no one could find it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 4:48:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
it is like it got buried somewhere, I cannot find any news articles or mention of it online anywhere.

I was in at the time and remember hearing about it, but want "proof".

navy times doesn't seem to even have it, or go back that far online anyway.

would have been like 91 to 93.

Not sealed. You got bum info.

Other things were/are sealed, but not that.

91-93 she was being refueled at NNS. She will be decommissioned soon.
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 4:49:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 4:50:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

They say that in front of Zweibrucken AB in Germany there was a fully equipped underground German Army  hospital that the Germans  booby-trapped right before they pulled out at the end of WWll. The allies didn't  want to endanger anyone to clear it so they just sealed it up. Always though it might have some cool stuff inside if they ever opened it up. This was the late 70's.

Link Posted: 3/15/2012 4:54:36 PM EDT
[#42]
My brother and I used to roam over the old ships and subs that would dock at Mare Island when my Father worked there in the 60's. One was a Carrier but I do not remember the Hull Number.

The only ones we couldn't go one were the Nuc Subs. Which happened to be the ones my Dad worked on.

Ed
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 4:57:58 PM EDT
[#43]
I found a sealed and forgotten broom closet in my wife's business building..

The building had been built in 1907...and had been a funeral home..video store..resturant..etc over the years befor my wife bought it. Remodeled several times.

Probably the broom closet got sealed over when the back of the building was converted to a kitchen. There were two old late 1800's/early 1900's shotguns(in used up condition)...old brooms and mops..buckets..cleaners..all sorts of shit.

I did learn that the old 'friction tape'(ancient electrical tape) must've been the para-cord of the past...both shotguns in the lost broom closet were held together with friction tape...
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 5:00:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v169/furryfriend/drool.gif

You and me both, my friend. I'm still pissed off at the friggin' BATF from a deal I lost out on due to their stupidity. Buddy of mine had married into a family over there where the father-in-law was an independent gunsmith. Old guy wanted to retire, and he was selling out his stock and store. One of the things he had was a lot of five pre-WWII DWM Luger pistols, complete with accessories, consecutively serial-numbered. For some reason, he couldn't sell them on the German market (something to do with the way they'd been sold or marked), which had left him stuck with the pistols for most of 20 years. My buddy wasn't into guns, but he knew I was, so he hooked me up with his father-in-law. The old guy was cool as hell, and was willing to do a deal with me for all five pistols or whatever I could afford, at $300.00 a pop. All I needed to do was figure out what to do with them. So, I wrote myself a letter off to the BATF, and got back a reply that since they'd once been German Army property, I couldn't import them as an individual. Back in those days (mid-1980s), I couldn't find anyone to import them, so I sorrowfully had to turn down the old guy's offer. Those pistols were gorgeous, too––Made sometime in the 1930s, perfect finishes, all the serial numbers matched, everything. Where they'd been, I have no idea, and the father-in-law didn't either. He'd picked them up as a lot at an auction, or something, and then the German government got their noses into the deal and told him they couldn't be sold to anyone. So, they'd been in his shop for long damn time. I don't know what happened to them, either––He was afraid he'd have to turn them in for destruction, so I imagine that's what he did.

Now, here's the f-ed up part: Six or so years later, I got to know a BATF agent locally. I related this story to him, and he starts frothing at the mouth: The actual rule was, back then, that the pistols had to be out of government control for 5 years, and then they would have been importable by me. The idiot who'd answered my letter had been wrong, wrong, wrong. Main reason this guy was so pissed off? He was a huge Luger fanatic...

I've never been so retroactively pissed off in my life, after I found that out. Those pistols, conservatively, would have been worth a huge chunk of money to collectors. I asked one of this BATF guy's acquaintances at a  gun show what they might have been worth––He was a Luger collector. His eyes just glazed over, his throat moved like he was swallowing something, and when he came back out of his happy place, he told me that if he'd seen those at an auction, he'd have happily paid $175,000.00 for the lot of them together.

There are reasons why I don't have good things to say about the BATF, most days.
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 5:00:46 PM EDT
[#45]
I know this story is true, because I heard about it in an email.

Link Posted: 3/15/2012 5:01:35 PM EDT
[#46]
"Chaplain Hole"

Someone forgo it during turniver to their relief.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 5:04:35 PM EDT
[#47]
True story. It was a murder cover up. The killer had sealed the room with the crewman inside.

La Forge found him using his visor
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 5:10:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
There's a similar urban legend about a VAX that got sealed in a server room during a facilities renovation and was forgotten about for years. Still had power and a network cable. It could be pinged, but no one could find it.

Allegedly, that was at UT, running a particle accelerator.  They had to torch the (very thick) door.

Many years ago, I was part of a very large corporate merger and as one of the more pleasant mainframers was tasked with dealing with talking to folks from the company being devoured by us to find all of their systems and to move them someplace that we controlled.  There were some problems doing this, ranging from terrible turnover at the other company for the last few years to frankly uncooperative folks who were angry about the merger.  Anyhow, there was an RS6000 server somewhere in Denver that we had to find.  There had been three sysadmins there.  One did a dry dive rock climbing and the other had quit after the merger and was somewhere up around Leadville smoking weed.  The other one was in the UK, and very angry –– apparently his deportation was as a result of the company that we were acquiring screwing up his paperwork so badly that his time ran out, and back in those pre-GW Bush days people were actually deported.  So, I had a dead guy and a guy who was a lot more stoned than usual, and the person who had been there before them who had been deported had moved this RS6000 someplace to a Mountain Bell facility and had paid out a few years, then he got deported, the fat one went splat, and the last of the three quit and went up into the hills with his girlfriend to pursue agricultural interests.  I could ping the box but I had no idea where it was other than "somewhere in Denver" –– but I had a BRI line (new at that time) so I should be able to find it, right?  We were paying the bill, we had the SPID, and, like I said, this was back when ISDN was kind of special ... ha!  I spent about a month on and off on the phone with Mountain Bell up there before I said "screw it" and went up to Leadville in an asthmatic 172 to find the hippy.  I got a clue from him, Budda-like, and followed it back to a building in downtown Denver (which was seriously ratty back then) and spent three weeks trying to convince Mountain Bell to let me into the room.  I really expected that the next person I was going to meet was Lilly Tomlin in sensible shoes by the time it was all over.  I liked SW Bell –– a little "thank you for flying Aeroflot" for me, but they got the job done.  I wanted to strangle, literally injure about half of the people I was forced to deal with at Mountain Bell.  Of course, the box was still running like a top.  AIX does that.  But I was happier than I have ever been to have been heading back to Houston with the Addtran TA, the RS6000, and a pile of cables in the passenger seat with that special brownie from my new buddy in Leadville.
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 5:23:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 5:24:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
 They say that in front of Zweibrucken AB in Germany there was a fully equipped underground German Army  hospital that the Germans  booby-trapped right before they pulled out at the end of WWll. The allies didn't  want to endanger anyone to clear it so they just sealed it up. Always though it might have some cool stuff inside if they ever opened it up. This was the late 70's.

Those stories can be told over most of Germany... There's stuff that's been sealed since the war, and nobody but nobody wants to go looking at it, for good reason. Go up to Wildflecken, and every barracks building has a sealed steel door, which leads into the old tunnel system there. The doors are all welded shut, because of the accidents people had trying to explore, and the fear they'd find boobytraps.

According to one of the Wallmeister guys (who were responsible for maintaining all the prechambers and other fortifications on the border), several cities in Germany are potentially sitting on top of time bombs––Literally. Nobody wanted to deal with the issues, so they stuck their fingers in their ears and went "La, la, la, la, la, la... And, again, la...." at the end of the war, and rebuilt over the remains of all these tunnel systems. They don't even know what's down there, in some cases, since they shut the pumps off and the tunnels flooded. Supposedly, they've found archived plans showing something like seven or eight floors under Tempelhof Airfield in Berlin, but when the Allies finally figured out what was what, they'd lost all but the top two or three floors to the water. Divers were sent down at one point, in an attempt to assess things, but after someone set off an underwater explosion, they said to hell with it, and sealed all of the flooded areas off.

Hell, the main parking area in downtown Darmstadt? Huge, cavernous underground area. You'd think it was built as a car park, but it wasn't: Wartime bunkers and air-raid shelters. Supposedly, only about a third of the available space was turned into parking.

Some of what I heard over there would best be classed as "tall tales", but there's more than enough truth for it to be fascinating. Here are some links:

http://www.forgottenhistory.co.uk/index.html

http://www.munlager.de/

http://www.7grad.org/index.html

http://www.geschichtsspuren.de/

http://www.thirdreichruins.com/

http://forum.hidden-places.de

If that doesn't keep you busy looking for stuff, nothing will. The Nazis may have been utter bastards, but they did have a knack for building underground with concrete. Amazing stuff, and it's surprising how much has survived.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top