User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 11:44:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Someone tell me this:

If I work for myself (I am salaried by my LLC) and I go out of business orr hit a dead spot in work and have to stop paying myself a salary, can I draw UI?

Not that I'll get rich in MS at $235 per week, but can I draw at all?

do you pay Un employment insurance on yourself ?

i think my employer pays for or provides there own unemployment insurance.

i thought the general GD concensous was the UI was not a handout ?
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 11:47:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Someone tell me this:

If I work for myself (I am salaried by my LLC) and I go out of business orr hit a dead spot in work and have to stop paying myself a salary, can I draw UI?

No.  You tried too hard.
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 11:48:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Someone tell me this:

UI is not a handout when it is within the 26 wk timeframe the program is designed to cover. The two year limit currently floating around?  Total BS handout welfare garbage.
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 11:48:57 AM EDT
[#4]
There is no UI safety net for the self employed.
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 11:49:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
http://www.blogging4jobs.com/job-search/maximum-unemployment-benefits-by-state/

Alabama – $265

Alaska – $320
Arizona – $240
Arkansas – $457
California – $450
Colorado – $454
Connecticut – $573
Delaware – $330
District of Columbia – $359
Florida – $275
Georgia – $330
Hawaii – $549
Idaho – $364
Illinois – $531
Indiana – $390
Iowa – $461
Kansas – $423
Kentucky – $415
Louisiana – $247
Maine – $538
Maryland – $410
Massachusetts – $653
Michigan – $362
Minnesota – $578
Mississippi – $235
Missouri – $320
Montana – $422
Nebraska – $348
Nevada – $398
New Hampshire – $427
New Jersey – $598
New Mexico – $450
New York – $405
North Carolina – $522
North Dakota – $470
Ohio – $524
Oklahoma – $358
Oregon – $507
Pennsylvania – $528
Puerto Rico – $133
Rhode Island – $689
South Carolina – $326
South Dakota – $295
Tennessee – $275
Texas – $415
Utah – $452
Vermont – $425
Virginia – $378
Virgin Islands – $454
Washington – $583
West Virginia – $378
Wisconsin – $363
Wyoming – $444

Yea were in the top 5

Link Posted: 2/1/2012 11:49:50 AM EDT
[#6]
is unemployment insurance a handout ?
is the minimum life insurance provided by some companies a hand out ?

i think the only diffrence is that UI is required..

is using your health insurence a handout ?  i know most of us pay for that so we dont feel it isnot a handout ..  but do we realy pay the full premium ?  yes i know some pay a HIGH ass one ..   some pay none   ..  get a job that does ?   bu thats another thread

oh  and no i have notyet had to use UI.

but really whay the fuss over it?
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 11:49:56 AM EDT
[#7]
BTW, higher income people can purchase their own private UI/disability insurance.  Workmans comp and SS disability can hardly try to cover a physicians salary, for example.

Link Posted: 2/1/2012 11:50:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Someone tell me this:

UI is not a handout when it is within the 26 wk timeframe the program is designed to cover. The two year limit currently floating around?  Total BS handout welfare garbage.

ok  we agree on both counts  

I had forgotten about that part.. < the fed two yr extension >  
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 11:51:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
is unemployment insurance a handout ?
is the minimum life insurance provided by some companies a hand out ?

i think the only diffrence is that UI is required..

is using your health insurence a handout ?  i know most of us pay for that so we dont feel it is..  but do we realy pay the full premium ?  yes i know some pay a HIGH ass one ..   some pay none   ..  get a job that does ?   bu thats another thread

oh  and no i have notyet had to use UI.

but really whay the fuss over it?

MY personal fuss is over the fact it is mandated.  Once something is mandated, it becomes worthless garbage almost immediately.  

My other problem is the "extension" that will probably never go away.
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 11:53:39 AM EDT
[#10]
When I worked at a gun store in NC, we would have people come in and cash their US Treasury checks often.  This one chick rolled up in a pimped-out BMW, wearing leopard print tights, 70's-style high-heel boots, and articles of clothing to match the whole package.

She had her disability check, and an unemployment check from the State.

"I need tuh cash deez."

I looked her up in the computer to see if she had a check-cashing history with the store, like any bad checks in the past, etc.  I immediately saw that she had sold stolen merchandise from Wal-Mart to one of our other stores, but since the checks were legit, we were advised to cash them by the manager from the other store.

During this vetting process, she had become simply too impatient, and was rapidly raising her voice...

"C'mon!  Just cash duh checks mufcu**ers!  CASH DUH CHECKS!"

My manager, a soft-spoken and probably the most decent guy I have ever worked for, just said,

"You know what lady, just beat it."  and kindly slid the checks back to her across the counter.

"F**ck you crackuh ass CRACKUH!!!!!  F**k YOU!"  as she stormed out of the store.

I began dancing to my self-written song..."Crackuhs, in da house, boom chicka boom, keepin you down...crackuhs, in da house, uh-huh"

She had a really bad attitude, and we were actually going to cash the checks.
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 11:56:16 AM EDT
[#11]
silly question..

does managment get UI ?  

i think every hourly worker i know just assumes they do if its needed..  

what about management ?  owners ?

can the owner of a company claim UI if they are an employee ?  i dont see why not..  but now for some reason im interested in the answeri think someone else brought it up..  

if the "owner" is not eligable for UI is it because they didnt put themselves down an an employee for some reason < guessing here... taxes ? >  

someones gotta know
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
silly question..

does managment get UI ?  

what about manegment ?

can the owner of a company claim UI if they are an employee ?  i dont see why not..  but now for some reason im interested in the amser.. i think someone else brought it up..  

if the "owner" is not eligable for UI is it because they didnt put themselves down an an employee for some reason < guessing here >  

someones gotta know

I don't think owners qualify because the ghetto would quickly fill with business owners who are forced to close shop all the time.  Mangers and such should get it if they are employee's.  Once your weekly earning exceed the state max, UI becomes more and more of a token measure.
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 11:59:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Holy shit, that's per WEEK!

I'd have to move out of my house at the $524 Ohio pays per week. I'd also very likely have my car repo'd.    

Thus, I depend on savings.

That what we did. My wife was laid off for 16 months. We were smart enough, young enough that we had a tidy sum stashed in a savings account for just such eventualitites. If not for UI we wouldn't have made it but, the extra 4 bills a week and savings to make up the difference and it was a pretty easy time for all involved. We even came out of it with a respectable sum left over.

Of course, she did go a little insane sitting around the house and leaving only to go on job hunts/interviews. It was the personal stuff that strained us during that time, not the finances. She really began to feel worthless after the waves of denials and no-call-backs. It seriously diminished her self esteem. Added to which, she felt like she was being given a "hand out" and that went against the very fabric of her morals and upbringing.
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 12:01:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Someone tell me this:

Just steal your own SSN, go to a document mill in your area, and get about 3 different sets of ID with driver's licenses, Birth certificates, etc.  Apply for work with your company, and hire yourself x3.  In the normal course of your duties, you will experience accidents and injuries.  

Can you say, "Ouch my back!"

Go to a doctor with the BS ID's, and tell them how bad the conditions are at your workplace.  File a worker's comp case against your evil company, and begin treatment with the Doctors.  They don't care, because they get paid by the State with all the money you're required to fork out for the State Worker's comp fund.

Repeat, but be aware that your worker's comp fees go up for every employe in your business.

I used to watch illegal immigrants do this on a daily basis for 1.5 years, and it is disgusting.  Immigration attorneys will steer them to the document mill, where they get several driver's licenses, SSN's, and BC's, but their BC's are way more real-looking than Obama's, or whatever his real name is.

It's over a $2 billion a year industry in the State I was investigating it in, and they can only afford to investigate 10-15% of the cases.  When caught, the insurance companies offer a final settlement payment, which usually starts at $10k on up to $40k or more, even though the people are guilty of being here illegally, defrauding the business they worked for, and the State.
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 12:02:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
silly question..

does managment get UI ?  

what about manegment ?

can the owner of a company claim UI if they are an employee ?  i dont see why not..  but now for some reason im interested in the amser.. i think someone else brought it up..  

if the "owner" is not eligable for UI is it because they didnt put themselves down an an employee for some reason < guessing here >  

someones gotta know

I don't think owners qualify because the ghetto would quickly fill with business owners who are forced to close shop all the time.  Mangers and such should get it if they are employee's.  Once your weekly earning exceed the state max, UI becomes more and more of a token measure.

i think for most people the state max is less then what they made when working..

if the "ghetto" would all be overnight Biz owners.. wouldnt they need to buy and PAY for UI after every biz " failure ".. then .. im assumming after a number of claims...  no insurance company would sell them coverage or  do so at higher rates ?

and then they woudl need to pay into the fund dont they < again assuming here >  and employee and pay people for a min amount of time before they are eligable ..

again    all just guessing here while my work machine reboots
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 12:04:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Cost of living is higher in those states.

Our cost of living is about the highest in the US, and we only get $320

Aviator
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 12:05:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The cost of liberalism is even higher.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 12:06:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aviator

stop crying   yall get free Palin oil money
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 12:10:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aviator

That (on Average) $1,200 dollar yearly Permanent Fund Dividend check usually goes to filling the oil tanks getting ready for winter.

Aviator
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 12:19:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Nevermind.  I'll keep it to myself.

Link Posted: 2/1/2012 12:25:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Aviator

That (on Average) $1,200 dollar yearly Permanent Fund Dividend check usually goes to filling the oil tanks getting ready for winter.

Aviator

They should give you guys an extra $800 for bear, moose, wolf, and crystal meth tweaker defense expenses. Just as dangerous as the cold.

Link Posted: 2/1/2012 12:28:04 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

silly question..

does managment get UI ?  

what about management ?  owners ?

can the owner of a company claim UI if they are an employee ?  i dont see why not..  but now for some reason im interested in the answeri think someone else brought it up..  

if the "owner" is not eligable for UI is it because they didnt put themselves down an an employee for some reason < guessing here... taxes ? >  

someones gotta know

yes, management and salaried employees get it...ask me how i know

Link Posted: 2/1/2012 12:48:26 PM EDT
[#23]
The average home price on this Island is $600K.  You guys really think you are going to live comfortably here on $550 a week?  You can't find a one bedroom studio shithole with cockroaches the size of cats for under $1K a month.
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 3:03:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just steal your own SSN, go to a document mill in your area, and get about 3 different sets of ID with driver's licenses, Birth certificates, etc.  Apply for work with your company, and hire yourself x3.  In the normal course of your duties, you will experience accidents and injuries.  

Can you say, "Ouch my back!"

Go to a doctor with the BS ID's, and tell them how bad the conditions are at your workplace.  File a worker's comp case against your evil company, and begin treatment with the Doctors.  They don't care, because they get paid by the State with all the money you're required to fork out for the State Worker's comp fund.

Repeat, but be aware that your worker's comp fees go up for every employe in your business.

I used to watch illegal immigrants do this on a daily basis for 1.5 years, and it is disgusting.  Immigration attorneys will steer them to the document mill, where they get several driver's licenses, SSN's, and BC's, but their BC's are way more real-looking than Obama's, or whatever his real name is.

It's over a $2 billion a year industry in the State I was investigating it in, and they can only afford to investigate 10-15% of the cases.  When caught, the insurance companies offer a final settlement payment, which usually starts at $10k on up to $40k or more, even though the people are guilty of being here illegally, defrauding the business they worked for, and the State.

Link Posted: 2/1/2012 3:14:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Florida – $275

Woot!  
It has helped out between jobs and you have to pay income tax on it.I have not been working since 11/25/11 I broke my right  fibula and ankle in a motorcyle accident.Lucky my wife has an income or else we would probaly be homeless Scary to think a lot of people are just a few missed paychecks from catastrophe.
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 3:17:26 PM EDT
[#26]
$240? Holy shit, that's low.
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 5:35:47 PM EDT
[#27]
and they  just keep raising prices on everything, isn't it great ?

Quoted:
Quoted:
Florida – $275

Woot!  
It has helped out between jobs and you have to pay income tax on it.I have not been working since 11/25/11 I broke my right  fibula and ankle in a motorcyle accident.Lucky my wife has an income or else we would probaly be homeless Scary to think a lot of people are just a few missed paychecks from catastrophe.

Link Posted: 2/1/2012 5:39:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Someone tell me this:

$235 a week?

In number 49, that will put you in the 1%.

Link Posted: 2/1/2012 5:43:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
and they  just keep raising prices on everything, isn't it great ?

Quoted:
Quoted:
Florida – $275

Woot!  

$275 a week will barely cover rent, and that's pre-tax.

OTOH, when you lose everything and have no more bills you give a shit about - you can get a lot of food for $275.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top