Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 12:44:50 AM EDT
[#1]
My mother doesnt. I knda trust her but I keep one eye open. Always watching.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 1:30:22 AM EDT
[#2]
No, but I don't trust alcoholics either.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 1:31:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't trust people who do drink on a daily basis.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 1:35:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I really don't trust anyone
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 1:35:56 AM EDT
[#5]
You don't think alcohol can kill you or poison your body? Really? Alcohol IS a poison My uncle just died at 60 from complications due to alcohol abuse. And yes, I do drink occasionally.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 1:37:17 AM EDT
[#6]
You think that people who don't drink are dishonest? Mind-boggling how you make that connection.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 1:37:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I love drinking. I love social drinking. I love bars. I love drinking games. I love sharing a bottle of red wine with my gf. I love a cold beer after a hard mountain bike ride.

Unfortunately, I also have a tendency to drink a couple of pints (yes, two to three PINTS) of vodka by myself, and get blackout.

I tried to balance it out, just drink socially etc. Couldn't. I am an alcoholic, and have finally admitted its ALL GO or NO GO for me. No more drinking.

But my answer would be hell no, I sure as fuck don't trust a teetotaller.

Same for me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 2:01:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You think that people who don't drink are dishonest? Mind-boggling how you make that connection.

Not trusting someone has nothing to do with them being dishonest.  

OP, I'm with ya.  It is, for me, a matter of respect and understanding.  Why would I confide in someone that has never stood in my shoes?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 2:06:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP, I'm with ya.  It is, for me, a matter of respect and understanding.  Why would I confide in someone that has never stood in my shoes?

A person doesn't have to stand in your shoes to know that some behaviors are not good. You don't have to be a drunk to know that the stumbling-down drunks tend to be fools and to disapprove of that behavior.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 2:16:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Almost every person I don't trust IS a drinker
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 2:17:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A person doesn't have to stand in your shoes to know that some behaviors are not good. You don't have to be a drunk to know that the stumbling-down drunks tend to be fools and to disapprove of that behavior.

It has everything to do with another person understanding where I'm coming from if I make a drunken mistake.  It's not that I think Cpt. Sobriety is going to steal my wallet, it's that I doubt he will keep his mouth shut.  

He is in effect sinless and free to cast stones.  Who wants to hang out with that guy?  Not me, and I sure as shit dont trust him.

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 2:21:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don't trust anyone.

Other than my wife, this.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 2:33:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Sure, till they give me a reason not to trust them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 2:35:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It has everything to do with another person understanding where I'm coming from if I make a drunken mistake.  It's not that I think Cpt. Sobriety is going to steal my wallet, it's that I doubt he will keep his mouth shut.  

He is in effect sinless and free to cast stones.  Who wants to hang out with that guy?  Not me, and I sure as shit dont trust him.

So you don't like the guy because he hasn't made your mistakes, am I reading that right?

It doesn't sound like the guy who has made the right choices in life is the problem.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 2:46:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don't trust anyone.

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 3:05:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you don't like the guy because he hasn't made your mistakes, am I reading that right?

It doesn't sound like the guy who has made the right choices in life is the problem.

I never said that I didn't like him, just that I dont trust him.  Why trust a prohibitionist outsider?

Lol, you must be neurotic to think one that's never been drunk has "made the right choices in life".

Ill make it extra clear for you-  If you have never experienced what I am experiencing, I do not trust your opinion, and that experience can be anything.

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 3:09:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm not talking about trusting drunks or alcoholics either. But people who don't drink alcohol because they believe it makes them lack moral fiber or they really believe it can kill you or poison your body. I don't trust them, I find them shifty and generally dishonest. What does the hive think?

I have found hardcore teetotalers are typically jesus freaks. I tend not to get along with people that are too extreme in anything.

My golden rule of trust is liking animals. If you dislike animals we will never see eye to eye on anything.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 3:09:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Sinse when does being a drunk make you more honest.
Some people enjoy drinking and some do not. I would trust a sober man before a drunk.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 3:10:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Drunk people are irritating and boring.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 3:14:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I never said that I didn't like him, just that I dont trust him.  Why trust a prohibitionist outsider?

Lol, you must be neurotic to think one that's never been drunk has "made the right choices in life".

Ill make it extra clear for you-  If you have never experienced what I am experiencing, I do not trust your opinion, and that experience can be anything.

You spoke of making "mistakes" in relation to drinking, so I would have to assume that the opposite of making a mistake is making the "right" choices.

I don't need to be a heroin addict to have a perfectly legitimate opinion of  them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 3:17:04 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't trust anyone who doesn't trust himself.

I also like how people take it to the illogical extreme. No, I don't trust a raging alcoholic either. It is stupid to infer that from stating that is don't trust people who don't drink. I also consider people who suffer from medical conditions outside of the discussion because they can't drink.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 3:20:44 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't find them untrustworthy. Just universally odd. It's like knowing someone who doesn't enjoy music.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 3:24:47 AM EDT
[#24]
If a person thinks doing a thing will mean they lack moral fiber, then that probably means they have moral fiber to begin with. More importantly, it means that they not only have moral fiber, but that they value it so much they don't want to risk losing it.

This is like saying a person who doesn't want to gamble because they don't want to lose their money can't be trusted with money.

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 3:25:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You spoke of making "mistakes" in relation to drinking, so I would have to assume that the opposite of making a mistake is making the "right" choices.

I don't need to be a heroin addict to have a perfectly legitimate opinion of  them.

You obviously don't get it, but that's to be expected.

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 3:28:01 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I'm not talking about trusting drunks or alcoholics either. But people who don't drink alcohol because they believe it makes them lack moral fiber or they really believe it can kill you or poison your body. I don't trust them, I find them shifty and generally dishonest. What does the hive think?

Congratulations.

I have an issue with people who don't trust people who don't drink.

Or something...

ETA: I rarely drink but will at social events (there's a name for that) and sometimes a glass of wine at dinner time.  Most of the people I work with are functional alcoholics.

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 3:28:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You obviously don't get it, but that's to be expected.

What am I missing? You spoke of not trusting them because they wouldn't understand your mistakes. If you admit that they were mistakes, why look down on those who chose not to make those mistakes?
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 3:51:28 AM EDT
[#28]
I have worked with people who maybe lacked whatever enzyme that metabolizes alcohol so it makes one "happy". Drink gives them a sense of dread.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 3:52:04 AM EDT
[#29]
That's really not a litmus test for me one way or the other
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 3:55:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I don't trust people who do drink on a daily basis.

+1

I was once one of them - quit 12 years ago.

For some, it is a slippery slope.

I will leave it there - you can read between the lines.

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 3:59:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Voted yes and don't drink.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 4:07:17 AM EDT
[#32]

Personal choice. I have friends who don't drink for religious or other reasons, more beer for me!

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 4:09:18 AM EDT
[#33]
nope
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 4:10:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I don't trust anyone.

Link Posted: 1/27/2012 4:17:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Dumbest thread ever.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 4:19:44 AM EDT
[#36]
I grew up around alcoholics family and friends and vowed when I had my family we would not have alcohol in the house.

I don't drink or keep any alcohol in my home. If people don't like it tough.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 4:25:24 AM EDT
[#37]
A few trustworthy souls helped me get sober

They, like I, no longer drink alcohol
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 4:26:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Whether I trust someone or not isn't directly related to their consumption of alcohol.  And I can't imagine why it would or should be.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 4:27:08 AM EDT
[#39]
I don't drink. I once in awhile have 1 beer. I can't stand wine or hard liqueur.

I don't trust boozers. people who feel the need to ingest mind altering substances, weed, coke, meth, booze, nicotine, constantly have serious mental problems. I've never known a substance abuser/user who wasn't some kind of mental case one way or the other. In my last relationship I made the conscious decision to be with someone who smoked pot for 13 years and did coke for a year and a half. Easily the biggest mistake of my life EVER. At the same time I was friends with various other substance users mostly pot and alcohol. I saw they way they conducted themselves and none of them were trust worthy. I basically spent 2 years completely violating rules I had set for myself years ago thinking maybe I was wrong. I wasn't. It was like eating at mcdonalds when you know the food is going to be lousy but you eat there anyway and it quickly validates why you don't eat there.

I'm not saying these people are evil but they aren't trustworthy. if you drink a bit here and there thats one thing but people who can't have fun without booze are deficient.

as for the O_P after reading his various posts the past few years well he's not some one I would call trustworthy. but that's just my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 4:27:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 4:29:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 4:29:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 4:30:42 AM EDT
[#43]
I TRUST TWO PEOPLE, ONE OF THEM IS ME, AND THE OTHER IS NOT YOU!
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 4:32:55 AM EDT
[#44]
It depends on why they don't drink.  If they don't drink because they don't, that's one thing, if they don't drink because they're sanctimonious, moralizing assholes, that's another.

Jane
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 4:36:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Things were going south so I had to quit....

Oh well, haven't missed it one single day and I feel a hell of a lot better.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 4:42:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
This is stupid.  

I don't trust people who button the bottom button on a sport coat.

I can't trust someone who puts sugar in their coffee.

???

It's arbitrary and makes no sense.

I'll have a Yuengling occasionally, but I never get drunk and have never been drunk.

Of course this is stupid.  You have to understand the context here.  This thread is really about bonnevillains well documented disdain for the LDS, since practicing LDS members don't drink.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 4:43:25 AM EDT
[#47]
I have a healthy distrust of everyone until proven otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 4:43:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Think about who bonnevillain dislikes most (take a guess at why he got a timeout his first week or two on the site) and you'll have your answer to why he even posted this thread.
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 5:39:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I don't trust anyone.

THIS
Link Posted: 1/27/2012 5:50:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I love drinking. I love social drinking. I love bars. I love drinking games. I love sharing a bottle of red wine with my gf. I love a cold beer after a hard mountain bike ride.

Unfortunately, I also have a tendency to drink a couple of pints (yes, two to three PINTS) of vodka by myself, and get blackout.

I tried to balance it out, just drink socially etc. Couldn't. I am an alcoholic, and have finally admitted its ALL GO or NO GO for me. No more drinking.

But my answer would be hell no, I sure as fuck don't trust a teetotaller.

im like this, i either drink till im broke, or theres no more drink to be had, or i pass out.
sometimes i get my wife to babysit my alchy ass, only let me have a few at a pub or whatnot, and we dont drink at home anymore.
well i dont, i cant control it.  so i may just stop altogether, not sure yet.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top