Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2001 10:37:07 PM EDT
I've got a collection of almost 800 1974-1985 comic books that I would like to sell as a block.  When I tried to sell them to  local comic book stores they were not interested, which was about 2 years ago.  Any ideas?

[smoke]
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 10:38:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Isn't it obvious?  Ebay, bay-bee!
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 10:40:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Isn't it obvious?  Ebay, bay-bee!
View Quote

you're too fast for me
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 10:49:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't they charge a fairly high amount for using their site?  Something like 10-15% of the selling price?
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 10:51:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Damned if I know.  Never sold anything over Ebay.  But it has to be better than the local comic store, right?  When I collected comics, they'd totally screw you over the listed value of the comics.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 10:56:12 PM EDT
[#5]
do a search on the net. you should find a dealer or warehouse that buy bulk lots. if you go back to the comic store look for a mag that list new releases, they should have adds to from places that buy peoples personal collectiond
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 11:00:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes! an informed response!  Thanks NYShooter!
Link Posted: 4/2/2001 2:48:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm sitting here with benny6 and I'm a comic buff. If your looking for a buyer, your best bet is to find a collector interested in taking the risk of buying a bulk amount of comics with no idea of what he's getting. This will prove very difficult. The best way to go about this is to take the time to go through them and pick out the most interesting or more valuable and put them into the description to further entice the buyer. Otherwise you will have to settle for a much lower selling price because no one with sense will take them without some idea of what they are getting. Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/2/2001 3:01:53 AM EDT
[#8]
E-Bay is great - sucks that they don't do guns anymore though - f$^%ng PC bastards.

Anyway, I sold a computer and monitor for twice what any used computer store was going to offer me. The buyer still paid less then what ant similar used computer store would turn around and sell it for. The middle man was eliminated and all was good. Give it a try - the fees are very minor and well worth the risk if nothing else works.

Adam
Adam
Link Posted: 4/2/2001 7:59:59 AM EDT
[#9]
alright HECK, try digging threw my old collection for you. here are 2 big sellers you might want to get in touch with "MILE HIGH COMICS" in denver & "EAST COAST COMICS" in jersey. they grade & sell comics just like sports cards fair/good/very good & mint. more then likely they'll buy your stuff but at wholesale prices.
Link Posted: 4/2/2001 9:18:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Ebay is a good place to BUY comics, not SELL them.  I often see semi valuable comics not selling for prices of a dollar or two.  If you sell your stuff at a comic shop, you might get what you paid.  Just keep the stuff and right it off on your taxes as an investment loss.
Link Posted: 4/2/2001 9:34:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I'll buy `em... directlly from you, or on E-Bay.

Just let me know.
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 6:02:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Selling a collection like this is tough, but you might want to look at www.milehighcomics.com. They're the largest comic dealer in the U.S. and do a lot of business by mail. They're located here in Denver and are about as fair as you're going to get from a comic store. They have a list on their site of what they're buying that might give you some idea of what's valuable.

You'll get the most from your collection selling directly to another collector, but you'll have to work a lot harder to find one. Selling to a store is a lot easier, but you won't get anywhere near the value of your collection.
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 1:03:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, ET3 I am interested in selling, I have sent you an email re providing you with an entire list via fax.  Do you have access to a fax machine?  Because I dont' have the list in word processing, just on paper.
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 1:51:25 PM EDT
[#14]
yeah comic book stores tend to screw you over cuz the figure the average person has no clue to what they have but if you wish i could remebr the name of the magazine that had a price guide kidna like becket but for comics
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 1:54:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Comics Value Monthly
or The Wizard
be careful of which one that you use to price them. CVM useually has a higher price for books that Wizard does. Alot of stores use Wizard to get prices from when they buy something but use CVM when they want to sell it.

Heckler: what kinds of titles do you have? Any first aperances or anything, or big value?
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 5:46:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Snorkel Bob, if you would like to see my list, give me a fax #.  Too many to list.
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 6:17:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Comics do not sell well on Ebay (i tried). I sold mine to the local comic book store, and got almost nothing for them. It was that or have them taking up space. I wanted storage space & Cash more than my comic collection so the store got a deal.
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 6:28:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Would anyone be surprised that there are lots of comics in my collection w/guns in them???

Western: Jonah Hex, Scalphunter, Two Gun Kid, Ringo the Kid

War: Sargent Rock, Unknown Soldier, Men At War, Our Fighting Army, etc etc etc.

Sci Fi: Warlord, and a lot of other ones where they don't use guns, like X-Men, Micronauts, Fantastic Four, The Incredible Hulk, Superman, Batman, etc etc etc.

Even Disney: Uncle Scrooge, Huey Dewy and Louie, Donald Duck, etc etc.
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 8:56:08 AM EDT
[#19]
btt
Link Posted: 4/15/2001 12:40:20 PM EDT
[#20]
BTT
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 1:13:22 PM EDT
[#21]
BTT
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 1:15:37 PM EDT
[#22]
just throw them away, it looks like your never going to get rid of them[:(]
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 5:53:48 PM EDT
[#23]
For anyone who is interested I have put my list in WORD, so I can email it upon request.

Thanks

[sniper]
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 6:52:10 PM EDT
[#24]
I used to live in Denver and mile high never gave me any good money. any dealer will try to get over on you. Think of it as selling one of your firearms at a pawn shop. If you have any cry for dawn comics I will buy them. Its the only series I like. If you must sell them on ebay I would try to sell them as entire collection. The fees are a listing fee no greater than $3.30 cents and a percentage no greater than about 5%. Most sales are about 2%.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 7:16:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Send the list of war comics my way, if you would. If you have enough of what I want I'll buy the block of war comics.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 7:32:31 PM EDT
[#26]
heckler: try the internet, got any silver surfer mags?
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 9:02:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Allright Heckler send a list my way
[email protected]
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 8:41:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Ok, I have sent out a few complete lists now, any more takers?  I will only sell them as a whole, not piecemeal.

[chainsawkill]
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 7:54:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Nope Silver, No Surfer Comics Here.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 1:29:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Well, ET3 Notreally has bowed out due to the size of the collection, any one else interested?

I would much rather do it this way than give Ebay a percentage.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 1:44:00 PM EDT
[#31]
BTT
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 1:53:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Your best bet would be to find someone with a fairly recent price guide and go through your comics to find what's worth anything. I did that a few years ago and made some serious $$ that way. I just went to a shop in Nashville and said I have XXX comics, do you know anyone that would be interested?

Got some major league bucks for some Fantastic Four #'s 5-11. Had a complete set of the Micronauts by Mike Golden, hit a gold mine on them! The old X-Men comics I had, I sold to one guy.

The X-Men books got me a Shiloh Sharps in 45-70. So look at what you have individually  and see what you can get for them, then dump all the others for little of nothing at one of the comic shops. You will get better results like that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top