User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/30/2011 3:35:41 PM EDT
thought you guys would like this...

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=58075

from post.....

NOT ME!!!!!!... REPOST!!!!!!!!

[quote="Greg Focker"]To preface this thread, let me just say that adrenaline does funny things to your sense of time.  I had some thoughts that typing out took twenty times longer than it did to experience it.  I'm writing this as I experienced it, so a long paragraph may have taken only a second to unfold but twenty lines to explain.  With that said...

At approx 0400 Dec 26th, I walked into my house via the front door.  I live in a duplex, and I'm friendly with the guy who lives in the upstairs portion.  I had taken a walk to go to the all-night diner a few blocks from my house and grabbed some take-out.  My dog was left in his kennel, as he is just short of 9 months old and loves to chew everything, including furniture.  As it is a duplex, we have a "shared" front door and then a "inside" front door, with separate keys for the inside doors.  As I was walking up the porch steps, the dog was barking rather loud.  I didnt think anything of it at the time, he gets really excited to see me when I get home and he might have heard me whistling on the way up the porch steps.  After opening the "shared" front door, I opened the "inside" door.  This is when everything went sideways, because immediately after opening the front door I realized two things: a.) my dog was not barking his "Happy to see you" bark, he was barking "When I get close enough, I'm going to make you bleed and scream"; and b.) there was some dude I've never seen before sitting on my couch, which rather obviously was the cause of item "a.)".

(not quite) Gratuitous MS Paint diagram:

My first reaction was to ask the guy "Who the f*** are you?"  He gave me some non-answer, exactly what it was I forget.  I bellowed to my upstairs neighbor "Hey Justin, are you missing a buddy?" thinking he was visiting my neighbor and had wandered down from upstairs.  Justin heard me through the floor and yelled back "What?  No one's here but me".  At which point we had a problem.  I told him to get out.  I told him to get the f*** out.  I told him to GET THE F*** OUT.  After the third of my escalating commands, he charged me.  I specifically remember him saying, and I quote: "I'm going to f***ing kill you."

I had my 3.5" assisted opening pocketknife on my right hip.  In my left pocket I had my Surefire with a Malkoff LED (~235 lumens, and the house was dark, I'm sure it would have disoriented/blinded him).  To my left the latch to my German Shepherd's kennel, where he was fairly screaming for me to let him at the intruder (while I heard him barking loudly from 12" to my left, my brain stupidly classed that as "non-relevant" and I hardly even recall hearing it).  Did I think to reach for any of those while yelling at him to get out?  No.  This is one of many *facepalm*'s.  I took the intruder's charge and threw him into the entertainment center.  I then got position behind him and applied a chokehold while laying on top of him.  He struggled for a while until I got the chokehold in good and tight, then went limp after a few seconds.  During the struggle at one point I thought he might be about to get free, and I considered using my knife on him.  However, I did not then and do not now know what diseases he might have, and since the chokehold is a relatively bloodshed free way to make him submit, I stuck with it.  Winning the battle only to contract AIDS is not winning the war.  I was aware enough to realize I was fizzing with adrenaline, and that I could have broken a major bone and not have known it, never mind acquiring a minor cut/scrape.  During this portion of the fight I was yelling for my neighbor to call the cops, and heard him saying he was doing so.

Soon after he went limp, I let go of the chokehold and ran towards my bedroom.  I was on the lookout for other threats, but I figured the guy didnt have any friends with him, because we were fighting in the living room long enough that a paraplegic could have gotten into there from anywhere else in the house.  I grabbed my AR, quickly cleared my house**, and ended up back out in the living room.  I put one boot on his shoulder/neck, and the muzzle against his ear (he was laying on his stomach, with his head to the side).  About this time he started to come around, and started to (fuzzily) fight against my boot... and grabbed onto the barrel.  I started yelling at him "Stop resisting, I've got a gun".  He was still not lucid, but his struggles were getting stronger.  I poked his head in the temple (or thereabouts, that's where I aimed for anyways) with the muzzle and repeated my command.  He continued struggling, again while getting stronger. [size=85] Now, a brief aside about my AR.  I have a BAD lever on it, and typically store it with a loaded 30 round mag full of 75gr TAP rounds, but with the bolt back and the dust cover closed.  I like to dry fire my AR, and Hornady warns people that trying to re-use a previously chambered round will result in a much higher chance of a FTF due to the dimpling of the primer caused by the repeated impacts of the AR's free-floating firing pin.  I don't want each dry-fire session to cost me a dollar (aka the price of turning a TAP round into a practice round).  So as a compromise of speed/frugality I keep it in the above state.[/size]  At this I took my finger off the index position, swept the BAD lever on the way to the trigger, and flicked the selector to "fire" while jamming the muzzle into his head and shouting that "I have a gun, stop resisting!" while my finger started to take up slack on the trigger.  No effect, he continued to stuggle.  Hell.  Legally I believe I would have been in the clear had I shot him at this point*.  I had a large potential problem in the court of public opinion for a couple of reasons, one being I would have shot a man while he was on the ground and the other being I'm white and he was black and this is Cleveland.  I have no desire to see the "Reverend" Al Sharpton picketing my house.[/politics]  I have no particular desire to shoot a man, for that matter.  Some people may think I balked, that I couldn't shoot this guy.  In truth, I didnt want to deal with the mess his corpse would have caused, both legally and physically.  I was tiptoeing the line between turning his head into a canoe or not when I decided that I could just choke him out again.  I safed the rifle, tossed it onto the couch, and threw an elbow into the back of the guys head while I dropped on top of him.

From this point it got somewhat less exciting.  I would choke the guy out every time he would struggle with me, then relax while he was napping.  We did that at least three times (I wasn't counting, it could have been a lot more) before the cops showed up.  It was at this point my housemate was relaying the retarded dispatcher's questions, like "Is anyone hurt?".  Woman, what part of "we're STILL FIGHTING" is unclear to you?!?  It's a fluid situation.  Send the EMS anyways.  I swear though, she must have asked a half dozen times before I told him to just say "yes".  The cops showed up.  I was just choking the guy out once again.  The cops asked from outside if the dog was secured (he was definitely "in drive" and vocal about it).  I said yes.  I also told them I was the homeowner, I was on top of the intruder, and he was newly unconscious.  I also mentioned the AR-15, as a LEO with a heads up is a less jumpy LEO.  The cops entered the house, and I told them I would release him when they told me to.  They gave me the word, I got up, put my hands above my head and took a couple steps back.  The cops cuffed him, rolled the intruder over, and one of them distastefully poked him with his shoe like he would a piece of roadkill (I admit it, I chuckled).  They then gave him a sternum rub.  When he came to, Cop #1 asked him if he knew where he was.  Cop #2 laughed pretty good at that and said did he look like he knows where he is  :lol: .  Now, I'm not a doctor, but I'm fairly confident that repeated oxygen delivery issues is not going to help brain function.  Speaking of which, during this entire encounter the intruder seemed to be on *something*, though whether it was booze or something stronger I don't know.  One of the cops went into the kitchen and saw the glass from my rear window splattered all over the kitchen (aka, how the the guy made entry).

To wrap it up, the burglar got arrested, I BS'ed with the officers outside for a few minutes, thanked them, and then my housemate and I put a small dent in a bottle of Knob Creek special reserve.  I've got some aches from muscles strained while grappling with the dude, but no visible injuries except for a tinny tiny scratch on my forehead that I didnt notice until today when it was brought to my attention.  He's being charged with F2 Burglary.  I talked to my buddy on the Cleveland PD and he said he'd expect the guy to also get charged with Aggravated Assault.  We'll see.  Also, a few of my friends who saw me tonight called me "Wayne Brady"  :lol:

I can see at least a half dozen screw-ups in this Charlie Foxtrot, from "not recognizing my dog's agitated barking on my way into the house" to "not letting the dog eat this guy's soul" to "bringing a gun to a fist-fight and not using it"... but overall I've got to admit I'm happy with the results.  I walked away with nothing but muscle aches, he destroyed some property but didnt take anything that can't be replaced, he's in jail and I don't have the media circus outside my house that shooting him in the head would have started, AND I've got a new "Well, at least this year wasn't as bad as that one time..." baseline for a successful Christmas.

ETA: I posted this to get critiqued as far as what I did and did not do, with the aim to improve going forward.  So... let's hear it.

*I believe that it would have been a legal shoot because he attacked me in my house, and he was struggling for the gun (albeit feebly).  Could a prosecutor argue that my fetching my gun was time I could have spent retreating?  Maybe.  I could argue that since I did run to my weapon and then search the house for other bad guys before ending up back in my living room I was still actively engaged in the situation the whole time.

**Due to the floor plan, if you are doing a balls out hasty "clear" of the house it can be done in a handful of seconds.  I knew there was not going to be a safe method to clear the house, so I decided speed and explosiveness were the closest things I was going to get to safety and ran through it as quick as possible.  I did not take the time to check closets, etc.  OTOH, getting focused on the guy in my living room to the exclusion of all else wasn't very safe either...

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Holy wall of text.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 3:46:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually a good read. Thanks for cross posting that. I enjoy these because I like to mentally monday morning QB them, and wargame what I would do in the situation so that when faced with one, I can just act.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 3:47:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Neat. I read the whole thing. Coulda turned out much worse.

Take-home point for those who didn't read:

You fight like you train. This guy won anyway, but could have been much more decisive had he armed himself earlier.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 3:54:42 PM EDT
[#4]
very good read. however i would have shot him as soon as i walked in the door. no questions. you can put a knife in his hand after the fact. anyone in my house other than me, dont belong there and is going to get hurt.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:00:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn good account of what went down. That is wild as hell for sure. I'm glad you kept yourself together, I hope I can do the same if the need ever arises.
Good job OP!
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Always carry.

A gun in the bedroom does no good if you are not in the bedroom. But otherwise, job well done.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I admire your restraint, and although I have not been in your position before I probably would have upon encountering said home burglary suspect....

Vtac Triple Threat Drill

Glad it turned out in your favor !!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:03:15 PM EDT
[#8]
My heartrate kept rising just reading this.
I get pissy when someone invades my personal space, if I found someone sitting on my couch at 0400 I'd probably kill the fucker right there. I'd regret it during the subsequent trial I'm sure but I doubt I'd be able to control myself.

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:04:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

very good read. however i would have shot him as soon as i walked in the door. no questions. you can put a knife in his hand after the fact. anyone in my house other than me, dont belong there and is going to get hurt.

Kind of hard to do when the homeowner was only armed with a knife when he first entered his home.

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:11:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Always carry.

A gun in the bedroom does no good if you are not in the bedroom. But otherwise, job well done.

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:13:01 PM EDT
[#11]
You got lucky the bad guy did not have a gun.

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:15:26 PM EDT
[#12]
It has the mark of bullshit. Namely the excessive detail of the AR, and the 3.5 inch blade of his bloodthirsty assisted opening pocketknife. I 'm not saying it is bullshit, apolice report would prove me wrong, but it has the mark of bullshit.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:17:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Holy fail on tossing the rifle and going back to choke holds.

As I'm readIng the story, I was praying for a knockout butt stroke

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:19:49 PM EDT
[#14]
TL/DR should have shot the guy
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:22:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Good for him that he didn't have to kill the guy.  Definitely wouldn't have thrown a gun away in a fight.  But that's just me.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:25:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Damn good account of what went down. That is wild as hell for sure. I'm glad you kept yourself together, I hope I can do the same if the need ever arises.
Good job OP!

not me.. repost...
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:26:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Tossing away a loaded firearm to go hands-on with a burglar?
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:26:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It has the mark of bullshit. Namely the excessive detail of the AR, and the 3.5 inch blade of his bloodthirsty assisted opening pocketknife. I 'm not saying it is bullshit, apolice report would prove me wrong, but it has the mark of bullshit.
Some people are detail oriented, I wouldn't write it off for that.

Kharn

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:39:13 PM EDT
[#19]
I've been in a couple of shoot/don't shoot kinda deals.

The time almost stopping thing gets me ever time.

And I don't know if my ears just shut down, or what, but I never heard my 6" Python go boom.

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:55:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've been in a couple of shoot/don't shoot kinda deals.

The time almost stopping thing gets me ever time.

And I don't know if my ears just shut down, or what, but I never heard my 6" Python go boom.

See, I am am the other way. I can hear everything. The gun is way too loud and the brass seems just as loud, when it hits the ground.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:57:07 PM EDT
[#21]
OST for later reading.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:58:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Bayonet, poke some holes for attention.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 5:06:20 PM EDT
[#23]
You live and you learn...nice choke btw..
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 5:10:57 PM EDT
[#24]
i dub that guy:

SC-OHIO
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 5:11:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This did happen happen as described.  The person took so long to write it after the fact because he is detailed oriented.  :)

I would have shot the person once I had the AR in hand and I told him to not get up and he started to resist.  I would have taken a few steps back and let him get to his feet and once he turned towards me game over.

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 5:11:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Ohio CCW has way higher MS paint standards.  

Good stuff.  I think it was worth choking the guy out for avoiding the cleaning bill alone, nevermind the legal hassles after you stick your boot on a guy's neck and shoot him in the back of the head with a rifle.  Only thing I can say for sure I'd do differently is carry when I leave the house at 0400.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 5:15:45 PM EDT
[#27]

I probably would have buttstroked him with the stock at a bare minimum.

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 5:17:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Good choke, so do you have any martial arts training?
Any reason the BG did not use your ar against you?
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 5:23:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Post back to him....he should have just butt stroked the hell out of the perp

"Stay the fuck down!" *smack* "Down motherfucker!" *smack*
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 5:25:27 PM EDT
[#30]
He's lucky the bad guy didn't find his AR before he got to it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 5:34:18 PM EDT
[#31]

I'm confused, I thought the butt stroking was supposed to occur while the "Stop resisting!" command was being used?  

It's funny, I carry almost all the time.  My mother in law's house is right around the corner, I carry even when I go over there just in case I ever came back to a situation like this.  NFW am I putting down a gun to grapple with someone though.  If you allow things to turn into a fair fight you have already lost that fight.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#32]
In that situation, I'd have restrained him right after he passed out the first time.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 5:38:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Good job on the hand to hand combat by the original writer.  I haven't had to get physical in a long time and doubt I would fare well in a similar situation.  Thanks for posting this link.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 5:56:56 PM EDT
[#34]
I think if I were inclined to toss the AR on the couch, I would have at least cleared it, in case the bad guy got away from me.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:00:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You got lucky the bad guy did not have a gun.

or the AR from his room
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:08:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
In that situation, I'd have restrained him right after he passed out the first time.

This.Of course sometimes people do funny shit during an adrenaline dump.It probably never occured to him to restrain the burglar or give him the ol buttstroke to the head.He just kept going back to the choke hold cause that was what was working at the time.I guess thats where some training would come in to play.Helpful in making intelligent decisions under duress.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:08:38 PM EDT
[#37]
This story is  a 24 caret crock of shit. Let's see...the resident has the muzzle of a rifle in the bad guy's ear and when he grabs it, the resident decides it's time to practice his UFC skills by throwing the rifle on the couch and rasslin with a guy that just told him he was going to kill him.  Bull-fucking-shit!
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:16:29 PM EDT
[#38]

i don't think i would stop

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:42:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You got lucky the bad guy did not have a your gun.

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:52:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
This story is  a 24 caret crock of shit. Let's see...the resident has the muzzle of a rifle in the bad guy's ear and when he grabs it, the resident decides it's time to practice his UFC skills by throwing the rifle on the couch and rasslin with a guy that just told him he was going to kill him.  Bull-fucking-shit!

Glad you were there to disprove this.  Man, I don't know that I could have believed it had it not been for your witness statement!  

Some people don't want to kill an unarmed man that is already partially immobilized.  Hard to believe?
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 7:24:39 PM EDT
[#41]
That's awesome!
It's got flashlight details (235 lumens of malkoff led goodness!!!!!) and a kickass BAD lever on the AR!!! Complete with hornady FAP .....I mean TAP ammo!!
Lots of excess irrelevant detail, I love these stories. It's like Dear Penthouse for gun junkies!

I'm not saying it's bullshit because maybe it just smells that way.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 7:42:01 PM EDT
[#42]
That's funny. Just keep choking him out!

I imagine that guy has quite a headache.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 7:42:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Tag

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 7:57:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Bad guy should really really start to turn his life around real soon.  God gave him a free spin with the OP.
Bless you, OP for not breaking his neck while he was helpless and sleeping.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 8:02:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Interesting account.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 8:11:16 PM EDT
[#46]

The perp should have been choked until dirt, that's the way it should have ended.

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 10:57:33 PM EDT
[#47]
The one thing that really makes me wary of this story is that the guy claims to have a "buddy" on the CPD, yet wasn't sure he would have been OK to shoot the guy.  Cleveland cops really aren't bashful about sharing that sort of information.  I have certainly made it clear to my friends and family that you shouldn't be playing patty-cake with criminals, especially in your house, and especially once they have made a threat to kill you.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 11:24:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 11:27:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glad you were there to disprove this.  Man, I don't know that I could have believed it had it not been for your witness statement!  

Some people don't want to kill an unarmed man that is already partially immobilized.  Hard to believe?

I call that a "gimmee."

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 11:36:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Something tells me that shooting a guy in the head piont blank when he is not entirely lucid would have put the shooter in prison.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top