Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 6:25:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Store bought stuff is distilled the same way hooch is made in a copper still but the proof is not up there like real hooch. Its moonshine dumbed down and legal you could say. Kind of like a AR 15 with a unremovable magazine and no gas tube.

Yeah, I believe the legal stuff from Ole Smoky is only 100 proof for tax reasons.

I still haven't opened my jar of corn whiskey just yet.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#2]
It tastes like a dead hookers ass!  
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 6:27:48 PM EDT
[#3]
like sunshine only a little darker
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 6:30:52 PM EDT
[#4]
When I was about 14 my dad let me sip from a jug of shiney that someone gave him.

You know how when you're pumping gas and you see the vapors coming from the nozzle? Well, that's what happened from my mouth when I drank that shit and it tasted pretty much the same as fuel.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 6:47:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you normally drink your whiskey on the rocks or straight up then you won't be impressed with moonshine. It tastes like corn but that's about all you taste. It is not as harsh as you might think.

This.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 6:48:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Real Good Monshine?
Like to drink it cold, straight from the jar.
Very Smooth, then a nice little glow after.
Like drinking ice cold spring water, with a little bit of bite to it.
Nothing like Bourbon.
One of those things where if I had to explain it, you would not understand.
So Smooth for being near 100% alcohol or so.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 6:50:56 PM EDT
[#7]
As I come from a long line of moonshiners...
The really good stuff doesn't have much flavor.  It just eats your insides.  Hence, the burning....
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 6:56:53 PM EDT
[#8]
The REALLY good stuff, where they make it in small batches and filter the crap out of it, tastes about like Everclear.

The crappy, semi-commercial stuff, made in fairly big batches fairly quickly, can taste anywhere from really cheap vodka to kerosene.

Link Posted: 12/19/2011 6:58:04 PM EDT
[#9]
"take a sip of 87 octane"

First Post and all that crap

Link Posted: 12/19/2011 6:59:32 PM EDT
[#10]
My roommate brought some home one night. Never tried it because I remembered reading about tainted moonshine.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 7:04:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I prefer Sunshine.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 7:05:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you normally drink your whiskey on the rocks or straight up then you won't be impressed with moonshine. It tastes like corn but that's about all you taste. It is not as harsh as you might think.

Correct. It's not harsh at all.

+1.  You sip it slowly, and enjoy it.  It tastes pretty good in Dr Pepper too.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 7:06:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Way back when, a fellow in my company came back from leave with two 2-liter Mountain Dew bottles filled with his Daddy's "Mountain Dew" direct from the hills of West Virginia.

At a platoon party he cracked them out and passed them around. I remember that it was cold and smooth, almost like drinking spring water. I also caught a nice comfortable buzz off two shots.

I wish I could have more of that.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 7:07:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Fire and fumes with no real taste.  I've seen people have trouble breathing after swigging a little much their first time.  Can't say it reminded me of gasoline or lighter fluid or fuel, there was no petroleum/oil taste to it.  If anything, there might have been a hint of corn to the batch I tried.

Not sure what the store 100 proof stuff tastes like.  Whatever we had started to singe the nostrils when I got my mouth close to it...  not unbearable, but certainly can take some getting used to it.  I imagine it's a little like hot food...  first time the mild stuff is harsh, but after getting used to it you can't call it spicy until it's pushing 500k scofields.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 7:08:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Store bought = shit

All of the real shine i have had was peach or some kind of berry, usually blackberry. Smooth with a good taste, but strong as shit. Drinking 140 proof shine taste like your drinking 40 proof rum
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 7:10:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Shine can be very good, or very, very bad.  I've had some that aged 15 years in a charred oak barrel, and it was the best liquor of any kind I've ever had.  I've also had some really sorry, rotgut shit that tasted like gasoline filtered through a crackwhore's asshole.  Depends a lot on who makes it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 7:11:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Tastes like Victory  

when distilled right, it sure does. when not it can taste like ass.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 7:14:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Tasteless(not exactly entirely tasteless, but the first time you try it you won't taste much corn or anything but fire unless you normally consume straight hard liquor), smooth, and burns like hell.  Not substantially worse than straight vodka, whiskey ect. but it's got a decent kick.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 7:20:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm drinking Apple Pie Moonshine brought back from TN.

Its the real deal and smooth as silk.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 7:21:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Being from western North Carolina and within an hour of both North Wilkesboro and Mount Airy, I have never heard of this moonshine stuff.

Now that the ATF has moved on:

It tastes like alcohol with a little raw corn taste, not like corn flakes. Some doesn't even have a taste. That's good white likker. Bad stuff tastes like fire and scorched corn and acetone.

Sugar likker tastes like cheap vodka and gives you a headache not five minutes after it was consumed. Like hungover before the buzz is gone. I would rather drink kerosene.

Now I've had some aged hooch from a man who has the initials JJ. It was very good with a slight golden tint.

My grandfather just got a couple of quarts of peach honey "brandy" and then one of apple pie from the cousins over in east Tennessee. The apple pie was oustandinger than hell, but it will fuck your world up in no time ;)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 7:24:53 PM EDT
[#21]
"Taste" you say?

You obviously have no idea.....
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 7:25:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The 180 proof stuff?  Made by a crazy toothless acquaintance of a friend who can't legally buy guns because of his felony meth convictions?

Basically tasteless.  But it burns.

This.  I had some 2years ago.  Very strong got drunk really fast.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 7:26:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 7:28:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 7:32:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Kerosene
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 7:33:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Now a days it's good stuff. They've started flavoring it!
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 7:34:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Well, the real deal I have had tasted like whiskey, sans the oak aging. No idea about the commercial stuff.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 7:36:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Why are some of you guys tasting rubbing alcohol?

Lean times
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 7:38:29 PM EDT
[#29]
All depends on how it is made.  That crap made by sugar with a bit of cornmeal for flavor?  Crap.  But if made from a real mash (sweet) and done right, it is neutral to having a slight grain character.

Another big flavor source is the yeast and fermentation temperature. If fermented too warm, it can have nasty odors.  Most moonshines are only single distilled in thumper keg systems.  This thumper keg is a second still, causing some of the nasties to drop out.  But if the thumper isn't cleaned out, nasty odors carry over.

Commercial stills are either column (vodkas and other neutral spirits) or are multiple distilled.  The best you can do off a single distillation without column/plates is about 40%.  Ethanol and water like each other, this is why you cannot get but 95% with the best still or multiple distillations.  To get absolute ethanol, adsorbents like zeolites (ceramic beads) are used to remove water.

I doubt most moonshiners clean out well between batches.  That "worm" may just have a few real worms in it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 7:41:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Good shine is wonderful.  Bad shine is undrinkable.

Good shine + good applejack + cup with a single ice-cube = heaven.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 8:08:03 PM EDT
[#31]
You guys talking about all this wonderful shine should really hook me up with contact info.  Apparently I've been drinking the wrong stuff.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 8:14:36 PM EDT
[#32]
I've made some.  Just for me.  Ice cubes sank in it, meaning it was well over 150 proof.  Cut with water, it was like a good vodka as it was a barley mash.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 8:21:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
take a sip of 87 octane.

White lightning!!
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 8:26:29 PM EDT
[#34]
I've only had it once, but it was really good cinnamon-flavored stuff.  Very smooth, basically like if there was cinnamon juice.

I don't remember much after that.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 8:28:36 PM EDT
[#35]
I have had this discussion with people at my job.

As I understand it from them the "real" moonshine is not cheap at all.

If this is true WTF is the draw?

I have an ABC store 1 mile away from my house that has every spirit you could ever want and as a bonus it's 100% legal.

As I sip a delightful if not a little to peaty for my taste Highland Park 12 I find it hard to understand why I would trade this for potential legal trouble and methanol contamination drinking some crap made in the woods.

Is it the whole "Sticking it to the man" and not paying taxes thing?

Is moonshine cool just because its illegal?
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 9:37:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I've only had it once, but it was really good cinnamon-flavored stuff.  Very smooth, basically like if there was cinnamon juice.

I don't remember much after that.

You are describing the Apple Pie Moon shine to a T.

Link Posted: 12/19/2011 9:44:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Had some peach shine once...

mmmmmmmmmmmm
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 9:46:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

the only liquor I drink is straight bourbon, but moonshine is like paint thinner

Link Posted: 12/19/2011 9:48:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Store bought stuff is distilled the same way hooch is made in a copper still but the proof is not up there like real hooch. Its moonshine dumbed down and legal you could say. Kind of like a AR 15 with a unremovable magazine and no gas tube.

Yeah, I believe the legal stuff from Ole Smoky is only 100 proof for tax reasons.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg242/stockshift/2010%20Smoky%20Mountain%20National%20Park%20TN/Day4-TSAInspectedMoonshine3Large.jpg

I still haven't opened my jar of corn whiskey just yet.  

I have a few of those. The Corn whiskey will burn the hell out of your throat and your butt hole at the same time.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 9:49:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/19/2011 9:51:29 PM EDT
[#41]
If its made right? taste like pure awesome

If not? tastes like death in a mason jar
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 9:52:36 PM EDT
[#42]
It ain't moonshine if it came from a store first and foremost.

Good moonshine is like good vodka. Neutral flavor that goes down smooth.

Bad moonshine is like bad vodka, except it can be hazardous to your health if the shiner doesn't know what they are doing.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 9:54:00 PM EDT
[#43]
The flavored stuff is real good,

BUT if you want real shine, not that candy ass shit they sell in the stores, you know that Backwoods of KY type shit it will put you on your ass

Taste like fire feels,
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it's made from that distillery that I'm thinking of it's not the real deal, however it does taste very good. The cherry stuff is better though, but it's the corn whiskey one. It burns the throat and butt hole, but with cherry flavor.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 10:01:54 PM EDT
[#45]
anyone within an hour of harrisonburg, va send me a PM

wife wants to try some shine
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 10:13:04 PM EDT
[#46]
I tastes like Everclear. In other words, it tastes like almost pure alcohol. It's not like drinking whiskey, where it still has flavors from the grains and the charred barrel that it was aged in. But I did have some moonshine once from a mason jar full of cherries. That was pretty tasty, but it still gets you really shitfaced. Gotta be careful with that shit...
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 10:14:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 10:33:16 PM EDT
[#48]
I've sampled a fair amount of shine (I'm in Appalachia after all). I never found it to have much of a taste at all (aside from the ethanol sensations).
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 10:35:53 PM EDT
[#49]
These posts make me go

It is as varied as the bootleggers making it.

Some good, some bad.

Got some potato 'shine in Idaho/Montana once... It was different
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 10:49:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Real Good Monshine?
Like to drink it cold, straight from the jar.
Very Smooth, then a nice little glow after.
Like drinking ice cold spring water, with a little bit of bite to it.
Nothing like Bourbon.
One of those things where if I had to explain it, you would not understand.
So Smooth for being near 100% alcohol or so.

This is about the best answer I've heard so far.  

It's true, the good stuff is good, goes down smooth with just a little warmth harldy no after taste.  The rest taste like terpintine.....Burns like the fires of hell going down with a horrible after taste.

I've known several old timers who made "shine".  Really, it's almost an art form. in itself.  From sitting around and drinking with one or two of them on occasion, I gathered several things of useful info.  Most "mooshiners" woth their salt, makes 2 different types of shine.....the "sellin' kind and the drinkin' kind".  The selling kind is lower quality which is usually sold to just about anyone (whom the maker doesn't know extremely well) inquiring about a quart of "shine", "white lightening", "mtn. dew"  and other effectionate names that people call it pretty much tell the maker they know nothing about moonshine.

The drinking kind is the good stuff, kept usually for self consumption, friends, family, or the extremely well known buyer looking for some "sippin' whiskey'' or "white likker".   From what I've gathered from these "old timers", there is a hell of a lot more work, care, preparation, filtering  that goes into the drinking kind.  Better quality  corn, water, and other ingrediants equalling a better product.  The average drinker who wants a bottle of shine don't know the difference, mainly due to they have never had the good stuff.  So, they get sold the "selling whiskey".

I also remember them (it's been years back) saying something about sprouting the corn before milling,  white oak chips,  that corn is not fit to feed hogs, ect. kinda things that I never really understood, but they made some damn fine "sippin' whiskey".

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top