Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 11:22:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is the reason we need magneto driven ignition in our cars.

Oh god no: Can you imagine most "mechanics" trying to set E gap on a mag?

Im friends with an excellent magneto mechanic, the rest of you can figure it out on your own.

I want manual ignition advance, mixture control, and a hand throttle, too.  A mechanical throttle, not one of those electronic cruise control gizmos that relies on an electrical system.

However, I am fond of modern ignition and fuel injection, especially on cold mornings, so now I'm conflicted.

Mechanical direct fuel injection where the engine turns at a constant speed and  drives a hydraulic pump and the wheels are driven by the fluid.

Simple.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 11:25:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im friends with an excellent magneto mechanic, the rest of you can figure it out on your own.

I want manual ignition advance, mixture control, and a hand throttle, too.  A mechanical throttle, not one of those electronic cruise control gizmos that relies on an electrical system.

However, I am fond of modern ignition and fuel injection, especially on cold mornings, so now I'm conflicted.

Sounds like you're looking for a Model T

Link Posted: 12/19/2011 11:26:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So-was that cloud of acrid smoke your serpentine belt turning on a frozen-up alternator? is your radiator fan driven by that belt? if it is, you may overheat before you get there.

No, the car wasn't running at the time.  I don't know why the hell it happened –– some wire fried its insulation.

I'd had some problems getting it re-started with TWO jumper packs last Friday (which is why I finally went in and bought a new battery).  Even though the battery needed replacement, I think something else was going wrong, and it finally gave up the ghost when it got zapped a few times as the power was going on and off during the swap.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 12:43:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit, I wish the airplane I fly had half the refinements of a modern car. You know, like electronic fuel injection. Carburetors are for old guys with suspenders, and rednecks with no teeth.

Link Posted: 12/19/2011 12:58:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit, I wish the airplane I fly had half the refinements of a modern car. You know, like electronic fuel injection. Carburetors are for old guys with suspenders, and rednecks with no teeth.

Hey.....I got teeth.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 1:03:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Get a battery charger and fully charge the battery before you leave.  Do not run any lights or accessories.  You still may not make it.  Had this happen to me when I was going to a town about 40 miles away.  Saw the light about half way there, and decided to say screw it.  Made it to my destination, and a little more than 1/2 way back before it died on the interstate - 60 miles with no alt power.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 1:06:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I drove nearly about 80 miles in the dark one time without an alternator before the battery died.  Didn't realize what was going on until the lights began to dim.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 1:07:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Just curious... what kind of car?

Unless it's something with a very crowded and convoluted engine compartment, an alternator may be one of the easiest DIY automotive repairs.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 1:29:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What happens when the magneto breaks?
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 1:32:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Gennerally about 30 minutes after dark.  After that your headlights will be about 1 candle power.  

It was a long time ago - and it kept going till we got home - even though the last 30 miles were by moonlight.

Link Posted: 12/19/2011 1:32:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What happens when the magneto breaks?

They're Slick's, you had problems with the Case mag too eh?
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 1:35:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I've went 20k before it died.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 1:41:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So-was that cloud of acrid smoke your serpentine belt turning on a frozen-up alternator? is your radiator fan driven by that belt? if it is, you may overheat before you get there.

No, the car wasn't running at the time.  I don't know why the hell it happened –– some wire fried its insulation.

I'd had some problems getting it re-started with TWO jumper packs last Friday (which is why I finally went in and bought a new battery).  Even though the battery needed replacement, I think something else was going wrong, and it finally gave up the ghost when it got zapped a few times as the power was going on and off during the swap.

Some cars have fusible links, a short piece of wire that is designed to burn off before damage is done. There are still fuses but people tend to replace a blown fuse with one rated for twice the current.

Most batteries are "rated" for 60-90 min of run time after the charging system dies. This rating is for min. current draw and for god knows what kind of car. Be safe to expect half that at best.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 1:45:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I went 235 miles on a brand new battery with no alternator.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 2:25:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I went 235 miles on a brand new battery with no alternator.

In what, a 68+/- pickup ?

Link Posted: 12/19/2011 2:32:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I made it from Kinsley KS to Hugoton KS(125 miles) with no alternator in a 1993 Saturn SL2.
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 12:24:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
"something under the hood went up in a cloud of acrid smoke"

i would try and find that bit first before i drive 25 mile , look for the burnt thing first

Turns out it was something called a "fusible link".  The arcing blew it out.  Nothing else was damaged.

Made it fine on one battery, with capacity to spare.
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 12:40:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
"something under the hood went up in a cloud of acrid smoke"

i would try and find that bit first before i drive 25 mile , look for the burnt thing first

Turns out it was something called a "fusible link".  The arcing blew it out.  Nothing else was damaged.

Made it fine on one battery, with capacity to spare.

That is odd that it blew while swapping batteries, under no load.  Which battery terminal did you connect up first?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top