Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2011 6:46:44 PM EDT
While cleaning out a storage unit, i ended up with a mountain bike.... of sorts.  Now..... I know nothing about mountain bikes, but this is what I've managed to figure out so far.....

It's definately a "Gary Fisher".... it has the reflected "m" logo on the front, and a decal on the lower frame reading " Designed in the USA by Gary Fisher"  and "BS:6102:01".  No other model number or serial number can be found.   Now.... it's painted yellow with "Saab" decals on the sides.   There's also a decal that reads "Paoa Pezzo   World champion 1993 1997".   From what limited info I've found on the web, Pezzo was an Italian olympic cyclist who at one point, was associated with a Saab sponsered mountian bike team.  Could this have been a "team" bike, or did they make copies for the general public (kinda' like an "indy 500 corvette", etc...).

She's rough..... the gears are gone.  It looks like someone removed 'em and "hard chained" the sprocket to a single gear on the rear wheel (I guess turnin it into a "1 speed" bike).  The gear selectors are still there..... made by 'Shimano"? (Mega drive train).  Handle bar and pedals are made by a "Bontrager".  The front forks are red, and built like a shock absorber.  Company name on 'em is "Judy XC hydra coil" and "Rock shok".  

I know.....I know.  Pictures are coming.  I need to get the wife to upload 'em.  I'm just kinda' wondering if any of y'all know mountain bikes.... and if this particular model is familiar to any of y'all.   I'd like to rebuild it..... and try to work off some of my fat ass this spring!
Link Posted: 12/17/2011 6:49:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Pics of bike wife?

Link Posted: 12/17/2011 6:57:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Pics of Paola Pezzo please!!

Definitely  a keeper, the bike is too.
Link Posted: 12/17/2011 7:04:51 PM EDT
[#3]
bike "MIGHT" be a model called "Big Sur".   Pics of the frame I found on line look just like what I've got.  Still digging.....
Link Posted: 12/17/2011 7:06:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Pics of Paola Pezzo please!!

Definitely  a keeper, the bike is too.

Link Posted: 12/17/2011 7:06:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Sweet! Takes me back to the early 90's.  God how I miss those mountain biking days.
Link Posted: 12/17/2011 7:15:00 PM EDT
[#6]
......still digging, LOL    Looks like there was a disk brake feature on these?  The front wheel has what looks like a brake disk.... but there's no caliper anywhere to be seen.   Instead, there's conventional "wheel rim" brakes on this..... front and rear.

I'll hopefully have pics up ASAP.

So.... anyone have a clue what the hell I've got here???  LOL  Becaue I sure don't!
Link Posted: 12/17/2011 7:16:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Step away from the quotation mark key sir.
Link Posted: 12/17/2011 7:19:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Step away from the quotation mark key sir.

Yea yea.....  "bite me".  

I'll stop, now.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2011 2:19:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Bump for the morning people........

................ who are more likely to be healthy enough to actually ride mountain bikes
Link Posted: 12/18/2011 2:29:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/18/2011 2:47:33 AM EDT
[#11]
All of the big name bike manufacturers produce a "team" edition bike that is set up to their racing specs. It sounds like you have one of these. They are usually pretty collectible, but like the other guy said, it depends on condition. It very well be setup to run v-brakes even though it is disc capable, because the racers seemed to prefer the Vs long after discs came out.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/18/2011 3:01:46 AM EDT
[#12]
All I know was way back when.. GF bikes were light years ahead oh the pack as I was told. I have one like new that was given to me by a friend who lost his leg. I love rigging it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2011 3:05:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Pics would help.  What Shimano gear?  LX? XT?

Sounds like you just need a cassette, maybe a rear derailleur, new cables and you're ready to go.  Might also want to check the fork, probably needs a rebuild or a new one...depending on condition.  Wheels might need truing and new tubes.

Good find.

Www.MTBR.com is a great resource for all things mountain bike.
Link Posted: 12/18/2011 3:13:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Its not a bar of gold,  you arent going to be able to sell it for big $$, but I bet you will never see another one like it for the rest of your life.
Its like a small niche of bike history.  The only time I saw one was when I saw Pezzo riding in a race.
I have a niiiiiicccccce poster of Pezzo, she was like an Italian supermodel who showed up and dropped the World Cup field in style.
GF's made a decent bike, but they sure werent ahead of the curve.
If I had it, I would rebuild it and ride it.  If I remember right, there werent any crazy, one off expensive parts.  Getting all new parts wont be too expensive

If I had saved all of my old Velonews, I could probably find some good pics and more info.
Link Posted: 12/18/2011 3:21:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Its not a bar of gold,  you arent going to be able to sell it for big $$, but I bet you will never see another one like it for the rest of your life.
Its like a small niche of bike history.  The only time I saw one was when I saw Pezzo riding in a race.
I have a niiiiiicccccce poster of Pezzo, she was like an Italian supermodel who showed up and dropped the World Cup field in style.
GF's made a decent bike, but they sure werent ahead of the curve.
If I had it, I would rebuild it and ride it.

If I had saved all of my old Velonews, I could probably find some good pics and more info.

Oh Sweet Jeebus...  (google image safe search)

eta: wasn't safe search, is now.
Link Posted: 12/18/2011 3:54:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Oh Sweet Jeebus...  (google image safe search)

DANG thats a nice collection!!!!
As if I wasnt enamored enough with her already.

Link Posted: 12/18/2011 4:13:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Sounds like you have an old racing bike... the Rock Shox Judy was quite the fork back in the day.  Per comments above, it probably needs a rebuild.  Components sound top notch for the time.
Link Posted: 12/18/2011 4:25:27 AM EDT
[#18]
You have found a 1999 Gary Fisher that came with the Saab 9-5 wagon, pricey bike at the time. Sounds like it was converted to a single gear. If it were me, leave it as a single, get some new tubes / tires if needed and take it out for a ride. This was the era when Cannondale teamed with Volvo, Trek teamed with VW - there were more just can't remember them all.
http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/press/000228b.html

From site: To top off the package, a Saab Limited Edition Gary Fisher mountain bike is
also included. The bike offers Fisher's 6061 T6 aluminum frame with Genesis
geometry, a Rock Shox Judy XC fork, Bontrager Superstock wheels and Shimano
Components. The bike, which features unique Saab Team Blue paint with
Fisher Team Yellow decals, is only available with this vehicle and has a
retail value of $900.

Link Posted: 12/18/2011 4:25:32 AM EDT
[#19]
OK, Gary Fisher, IIRC, are made by Trek.
Bontrager is their wheels-and-forks-and-such company. Shimano makes shifters, cogs, chains, etc: Drivetrain stuff. Rock Shock (sp?) does a lot of bicycle suspension parts.

There should be a serial number on the bottom of the frame, under the crank area (the bottom bracket). It might also have model information, which can be Googled pretty easily, I imagine. If nothing else, call up Fisher/Trek CS and tell them you bought a used GF bike, but it's been heavily modified, and ask them what model it was at the factory. The serial # should be useful there.

Also, see if you can find other markings, names, etc. on the component set.

(former bike geek here)
Link Posted: 12/18/2011 11:52:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

There should be a serial number on the bottom of the frame, under the crank area (the bottom bracket). It might also have model information, which can be Googled pretty easily.  Also, see if you can find other markings, names, etc. on the component set.

(former bike geek here)

OK..... found some numbers on the bottom of the frame.

G3     V
    WTU        B045924P
   4180     175       61     1121

I took some better pics out on the deck...... I'll get 'em posted by tomorrow.

Link Posted: 12/18/2011 11:56:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You have found a 1999 Gary Fisher that came with the Saab 9-5 wagon, pricey bike at the time. Sounds like it was converted to a single gear. If it were me, leave it as a single, get some new tubes / tires if needed and take it out for a ride. This was the era when Cannondale teamed with Volvo, Trek teamed with VW - there were more just can't remember them all.

From site: To top off the package, a Saab Limited Edition Gary Fisher mountain bike isalso included. The bike offers Fisher's 6061 T6 aluminum frame with Genesisgeometry, a Rock Shox Judy XC fork, Bontrager Superstock wheels and ShimanoComponents. The bike, which features unique Saab Team Blue paint withFisher Team Yellow decals, is only available with this vehicle and has aretail value of $900.

Question...... what would the advantage of a single gear be?  Why would someone convert it to this config.?

Also..... this bike isn't blue.... but yellow, with blue "Saab" decals.  And other than the "reflected M" logo on the front, there's no other identifying decals on the bike (The ones I've seen online have "Gary Fisher" decals on the frame...... )

Link Posted: 12/18/2011 12:01:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
While cleaning out a storage unit, i ended up with a mountain bike.... of sorts.  Now..... I know nothing about mountain bikes, but this is what I've managed to figure out so far.....

It's definately a "Gary Fisher".... it has the reflected "m" logo on the front, and a decal on the lower frame reading " Designed in the USA by Gary Fisher"  and "BS:6102:01".  No other model number or serial number can be found.   Now.... it's painted yellow with "Saab" decals on the sides.   There's also a decal that reads "Paoa Pezzo   World champion 1993 1997".   From what limited info I've found on the web, Pezzo was an Italian olympic cyclist who at one point, was associated with a Saab sponsered mountian bike team.  Could this have been a "team" bike, or did they make copies for the general public (kinda' like an "indy 500 corvette", etc...).

She's rough..... the gears are gone.  It looks like someone removed 'em and "hard chained" the sprocket to a single gear on the rear wheel (I guess turnin it into a "1 speed" bike).  The gear selectors are still there..... made by 'Shimano"? (Mega drive train).  Handle bar and pedals are made by a "Bontrager".  The front forks are red, and built like a shock absorber.  Company name on 'em is "Judy XC hydra coil" and "Rock shok".  

I know.....I know.  Pictures are coming.  I need to get the wife to upload 'em.  I'm just kinda' wondering if any of y'all know mountain bikes.... and if this particular model is familiar to any of y'all.   I'd like to rebuild it..... and try to work off some of my fat ass this spring!

Link Posted: 12/19/2011 2:24:10 AM EDT
[#23]
OK..... here are the pics.....

Link Posted: 12/19/2011 2:36:17 AM EDT
[#24]

Wow. Converted to a fixie, you're probably right. I have no idea why someone would remove the disc brake caliper, but not the rotor (disc, in case my personal terminology is wrong)

Started as a nice bike...Any chance you could get a photo of the data-tag from the bottom of the frame? I saw your post and I'm starting onto Google with some of that.

ETA: The "WTU B045924P" sequence should be the serial number. I'd recommend contacting Trek customer service and telling them "hey, I just bought a used GF bike, the serial number range WTU B0459xxx. Mine looks like it's been modified, and I'd like to find out what it should look like. Can you tell me some information about this model bike, how it was originally equipped, etc?"
Or heck, just give them all the info off the data tag.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 3:16:29 AM EDT
[#25]
There is no "data tag", per say.  All the numbers are engraved/stamped into the frame itself.  

Honastly.... I'd just like to fix her up and ride her!   The last bike I had was my old 10 speed..... never rode it again after getting my driver's licence.  And that was when I was 16........ I'm 42 now!

Agree..... that once apon a time, it looked like it was a nice bike.  I'm still a little confused why someone would pull the gears off of it and convet it into a "1 speed".... but hey,I know dick about bikes now a days.  And the disk brake setup?   Is it worth it to rebuild?   Or should I just stick with convnetional V brakes?

And any more ideas on the "Saab" decals?   As someone posted above, there was a Saab "limited edition" sold with a car..... but the colors are not correct.  And I'd think a "team commemorative" put out by either "Trek" or "Gary Fisher" would have factory writing....as well as the "Saab" decals..... no?  Every other bike I've seen has a "Gary Fisher" decal running down each side of the main tube.   This has none..... and aparently never did.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 3:28:37 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Quoted:

From site: To top off the package, a Saab Limited Edition Gary Fisher mountain bike isalso included. The bike offers Fisher's 6061 T6 aluminum frame with Genesisgeometry, a Rock Shox Judy XC fork, Bontrager Superstock wheels and ShimanoComponents. The bike, which features unique Saab Team Blue paint withFisher Team Yellow decals, is only available with this vehicle and has aretail value of $900.

Question...... what would the advantage of a single gear be?  Why would someone convert it to this config.? Fixed gear w/ smooth tires are great for riding pavement. IMHO - all those extra gears are not needed by a typical rider. Gets in the way of just riding, besides the maintenance the gears require to stay tuned. A well done 'fixie' conversion is a desirable config (looks cheaper but not a cheap setup by any means).
Also..... this bike isn't blue.... but yellow, with blue "Saab" decals.  And other than the "reflected M" logo on the front, there's no other identifying decals on the bike (The ones I've seen online have "Gary Fisher" decals on the frame...... ) Looks like I had a color scheme mixed up, although I highly doubt this is some ultra rare world champion cyclists bike. Somebody likely peeled off labels / brands as they tend to attract thieves (I rattle can nice bikes to look like junk too). Looks like a higher end bike - GF has more than enough models to sort through. Still willing to bet it came with a Saab or from somebody who worked for Saab though. Good luck.

Edit - one more thing. The front rim with disc brake hub is likely not original. Rim got bent or something - swapped with another one. I'd just clean it up, get a comfier seat and ride. Got yourself an nice Made in USA bike there - before GF / Trek basically became made in cheena. Enjoy.

Link Posted: 12/19/2011 3:28:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Someone built an older, quality frame into a "single speed" bike. Very popular these days. It probably freewheels, but could be a fixed gear too. People prefer the older / Chro-Moly frames for those bikes it seems. Most who ride them are more advanced riders and usually race pretty enthusiastically. They are really fun to ride in certain terrain - good rolling hilly type stuff. Enjoy !!

-JC
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 3:29:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Cool find dunno if its a team bike or not, used to love ogling over pics of paola in bike mags as a teenager :)

Link Posted: 12/19/2011 3:29:13 AM EDT
[#29]
I bought a Gary Fisher mountain bike back in 2008.  Solid bike.  Mine was a bare bones model and cost $300.  In retrospective I should've went with a front end that had shocks.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 3:44:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Question...... what would the advantage of a single gear be?  Why would someone convert it to this config.? Fixed gear w/ smooth tires are great for riding pavement. IMHO - all those extra gears are not needed by a typical rider. Gets in the way of just riding, besides the maintenance the gears require to stay tuned. A well done 'fixie' conversion is a desirable config (looks cheaper but not a cheap setup by any means).    

OK.... looks like someone did exactly that with this bike..... explains the smooth tire up front.  So..... what's the difference between a "well done" fixie conversion and one that's..... well..... not so well done?   I might just keep it in this configuration.  I've got few hills around here, so I'd imagine ditching 10 or 15 gears wouldn't hurt me too bad.  

Link Posted: 12/19/2011 4:06:17 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

OK.... looks like someone did exactly that with this bike..... explains the smooth tire up front.  So..... what's the difference between a "well done" fixie conversion and one that's..... well..... not so well done?   I might just keep it in this configuration.  I've got few hills around here, so I'd imagine ditching 10 or 15 gears wouldn't hurt me too bad.  

The chain will either stay on (good) or pop off a lot (bad) - if bad you're going to have some assessment to do (as in - how much is this bike worth to me?). From the looks of what you have there it looks to be done well - only way to really tell is to ride. Gears have pros and cons - but if they are already missing, just go with it. Likely has about a 7th or 8th gear ratio -  pretty fast and good for most anything besides climbing really steep grades.  

Do search on single gear / fixed gear bikes and check them out. .

http://sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html

Link Posted: 12/19/2011 3:59:48 PM EDT
[#32]
OK..... this one is set up to "free wheel"..  At this point, I'm thinking I'll clean her up, install new brake shoes in the V-brakes, install new tubes in te existing tires and see how she rides.  At that point, I'll figure out if the front fork needs to be rebuilf..... and see how I like the "fixie" conversion.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 4:15:50 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

OK..... this one is set up to "free wheel"..  At this point, I'm thinking I'll clean her up, install new brake shoes in the V-brakes, install new tubes in te existing tires and see how she rides.  At that point, I'll figure out if the front fork needs to be rebuilf..... and see how I like the "fixie" conversion.

I am thinking that it was alwas a V-brake bike, and someone but in an aftermarket rim with a rotor on it. If it was a disk brake bike it wouldn't have V-brake mounting holes. Right??

Link Posted: 12/19/2011 4:19:34 PM EDT
[#34]
This was a popular cross country race frame in the late 1990's, along with the Schwinn Homegrown, Yeti ARC, and Trek 8900. Dead giveaway is where the chain stays meet the seat tube. It is a handbuilt frame. I used to race a homegrown which was similar. These frames were not set up for disk brakes at the time, V brakes were the top tier and disc was still in development. No one wanted the disk bosses since they added extra weight. The fork is likely not original, that is a 1999-2002 era Judy, yours would have had a yellow Judy SL or blue SID. None of the components look original.

There is a small niche for older cross country hardtails, but the steel ones are worth way more than the aluminum ones like yours. Get a cheap component set, the correct wheels for V brakes, and build it up. Take it off road, your ass will be black and blue... these are stiff bikes
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 4:46:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
This was a popular cross country race frame in the late 1990's, along with the Schwinn Homegrown, Yeti ARC, and Trek 8900. Dead giveaway is where the chain stays meet the seat tube. It is a handbuilt frame. I used to race a homegrown which was similar. These frames were not set up for disk brakes at the time, V brakes were the top tier and disc was still in development. No one wanted the disk bosses since they added extra weight. The fork is likely not original, that is a 1999-2002 era Judy, yours would have had a yellow Judy SL or blue SID. None of the components look original.

There is a small niche for older cross country hardtails, but the steel ones are worth way more than the aluminum ones like yours. Get a cheap component set, the correct wheels for V brakes, and build it up. Take it off road, your ass will be black and blue... these are stiff bikes

I prefer a hardtail bike for Xcountry, always have. Downhill is a different matter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top