Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2001 1:13:24 PM EDT
I'm in the market for a decent quality metal gun cabinet. My funds limit me to around $300. I need space for at least 16 long guns along with several handguns and ammo for all.

So does anyone have any suggestions for where I can get the most for my money? I know I can get a Stack-On from Cabela's for about $280 delivered, but there have to be better deals out there as Cabela's prices are quite unreasonable.

Jake
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 1:36:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't you get an employee discount at work?
You should be able to get 2 of the 8 rifle Homak ones for that price...
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 1:45:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Don't you get an employee discount at work?
You should be able to get 2 of the 8 rifle Homak ones for that price...
View Quote

For the price Homak.   [sniper]
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 2:12:11 PM EDT
[#3]
My Kmart had a 8 gun Homak for $100 (Its now bolted to the studs in my closet [:D] ) and a 16 gun Homak for $180, both before tax.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 4:51:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Two problems guys:
1: Discount retailers only stock gun cabinets through the fall hunting seasons (at least in this area, it has to do with sales traits)
2: I no longer work for Wal Mart so I now pay the same price as the rest of you.

Also, I'd like to get the most out of what little I have to spend. If I can help it I'm gonna stay away from a big green beer can, however with my budget it looks like thats what I'll be getting.

Jake

Link Posted: 4/1/2001 5:07:01 PM EDT
[#5]
It seems everytime I go to buy something at Walmart, they no longer stock it.  It never fails, I see something there and when I need it, they no longer stock it.

They do have cool close-outs at the end of each season though, sometimes over 50% off.

OSA

Link Posted: 4/1/2001 6:37:12 PM EDT
[#6]
btt
In hopes someone knows where I can get one before fall.

Jake
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 6:40:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Have you tried www.midwayusa.com .
I know they used to carry metal cabinets.
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 6:43:19 PM EDT
[#8]
[url=http://www.homakmfg.com/onlinesales/guncases/model3000-3025/3000-3025start.htm]Homak for $100[/url]

Check out the entire web page you might find something you are looking for.
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 7:20:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I was at a local gun show last week and saw 2 safes by Sentry Safe. This is the same company that makes the fire-resistant smaller safes. These 2 safes were from a new line of gun safes. They are not as heavy as a Browning but they are 10 times heavier than the Homack with 5 locking bolts. If you can find some one in your area who sells them, they might be what you're looking for.

Goodluck!

Link Posted: 4/1/2001 7:46:57 PM EDT
[#10]
At a salvage yard I got a GIANT electrical box (10'x 8'x 2'deep) for 100.00.  It's made from 1/8" steel and locks.  I need about 200 more guns to fill it!  I put it against the wall of my shop and the "high voltage" stickers will keep all but the most ignorant out.
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 7:50:12 PM EDT
[#11]
kmart has a web page I think that it is blue light .com
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 8:17:49 PM EDT
[#12]
GSG9 -

For the $300 or less category, you're pretty much down to Homak, Stack-on, and Sentry.  Now don't take this the wrong way, but maybe you should consider selling off one of your guns to help finance a better safe to protect the rest of your collection.  Just consider how much your collection is worth now...and how much it wil be worth in a few years as you keep buying new toys to put into it.  Most, if not all, of those thin sheet metal cabinets can be popped into with a crowbar no matter how many locking bolts they have.  If you could get another few hundred into your safe budget, you could get something that will give you much better protection against theft and possibly fire.  For about $800 you can get a Remmington safe with fire protection, 20 cubic feet interior, and a 1" door.  Yeah, it would suck having to sell a gun, but it would REALLY suck to have everything stolen from a lower quality safe.
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 8:22:33 PM EDT
[#13]
[url]www.walmart.com[/url] and [url]www.bluelight.com[/url] are both no goes. I've already checked both sites and it just reinforced that if it aint in the local wharehouses it aint in any.

As for Midway and Homak I haven't found a 16 gun that beats Cabela's price yet, I hate to but it looks like they are gonna get my money again.[pissed]

Jake
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 8:29:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I have heard that these cheap metal cabinets will attract and hold moisture. I am planning on getting one anyway, and lining it with thin styrofoam board or some other material to cover all of the internal steel surfaces.
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 11:32:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Still looking for [b]where[/b] I can find one cheaper... Lets hope th [i] why in god's name are they up at this hour[/i] crew can help.

Jake
Link Posted: 4/2/2001 12:24:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Heh, I (one of the "why in god's name are they up at this hour crew") found a Homak 16 gun safe for $379.99 delivered versus $419.99 from Cabela's.

http://www.agenglish.org/homak/3690.html

Link Posted: 4/2/2001 12:26:37 AM EDT
[#17]
You might try looking on one of the gun auction sites or Ebay? I know I have seen those Homak safes online before. I have a Homak Corner safe it holds 12 long guns pretty easily and about 7 or 8 handguns.
Link Posted: 4/2/2001 10:25:34 PM EDT
[#18]
GSG9 - check your mail, I might be able to help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top